Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Chile Beer |  4.67% ABV

Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
3.45/5  rDev +8.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle provided by GCBrewingCo..what a great guy. Thanks for the opportunity. Pours...well, nuts, into my glass went some sediment. It was looking crystal clear light tan up to that point. Has a rapidly disappearing white soda-pop head. Smells potently of vegetable pepper with only a mild hot sting involved. This is good as I'm a bit of a 'sissy pants' when it comes to hot foods. Another sniff reveals a smoked quality, or perhaps a smell similar to that of sausage stuffed peppers cooked over the grill. Taste is not hot. It's really nice pepper tasting. Rounded and green and very vegetable tasting. Other beer qualities are either missing or drowned out by the strong pepper flavor. Oops, I spoke too soon...the aftertaste does have a bit of belly warmness and I'm likely to need a tums before bed. And after half a glass, the back of my tongue can feel the heat too. Fortunately, I've just made two really cheesy beef burritos and I'm ready to make good use of this beer. Is this a drop-everything-I-gotta-get-my-hands-on-it beer? No. It has a purpose and it serves that quite well. Md-light body and mildly carbonated.

So, now that I'm halfway done with my first burrito, I must say that this beer is really hitting the spot. I would have never imagined seeking out a pepper beer before, but I could definitely see tracking this beer down so I could serve it up when entertaining with Mexican food.

Scores from my review are judged to style, not to super-ultimate-greatest-incredible-beer-in-the-world.

3.14/5  rDev -1.6%

The beer opended with barely a wisp of carbonation leaving the bottle. It poured into the glass hazy with particulates pale golden straw and no head...none, nada, zip.

The aroma was green chillies, plain and simple. The whole time I was sniffing the aroma I was thinking, please, do not let this beer be a scotcher. The chillies overpower all other aromas that could possibly have been emitted from this beer. The chili aroma eventually takes your breath away.

The flavor was watery. The malt character was mostly absent and the chillies were actually well achieved in the flavor. The bittering was indecernable from the heat that came from the chillies which overpowered all else. There was a certain malt presence but the chillies drowned that out, however the heat was only mild to moderate.

The finish was even, not dry, not sweet and the chillie heat was in high in the back of the throat, not burning and not particularly overdone. The body was medium and the carbonation was nonexistent.

12 ounce bottle. No freshness dating. Purchased for $3.06 per six pack at Green's in Atlanta. This is a great beer for adding to chillie which is exactly what I plan to do with most of the rest of them.

2.08/5  rDev -34.8%

Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

2.95/5  rDev -7.5%

Being from Arizona, where "Everything is available with "Salsa", "Chilies" are a mainstay of many meals, this should be a "Hoot". The beer pours a translucent gold color on the pour, the head minimal in size, the lace sparse, both off white in color. Nose, the "archetypal green chili" aroma with a start that is slightly sweet, the top waterish in feel. Finish is dry, sparingly acidic, middling on the hops, dry and a pepper like twang, quite malt dry aftertaste. Spicy to be sure, different “That’s a fact Jack”, actually drinkable, unlike the Arizona version Ed's Chili Beer which I will rate at a later time.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)