Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

good

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Chile Beer |  4.67% ABV

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

(Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev +17%

A- pretty average looking beer. Lots of fizziness in the glass. Tiny head with a little bit of lacing. In all, it basically looks like a fizzy yellow beer

S- whoa! All I smell is chile juice. It's very upfront and awakens the nose, but not overpowering to burn your nose hairs. Get a tiny bit of mild citrus notes and cumin as well.

T- surprisingly after the smell, it's not overly spicy/hot. Nice even chile/pepper presence all the way through with a splash of citrus and light hop.

M-a bit creamy, light body, good carbonation. Pretty average. But it leaves a interesting warmth on your lips.

O-My first chile style cerveza. As stated in another review, this is a superb "lunchtime" beer. Which is exactly when I drank it....with my lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Not bad at all :)

3.73/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from BeerAdvocate Magazine Issue #49 (Feb 2011):

With the pop of the cap, the nose is invaded by an even green-chili flavor. Crystal-clear golden color and fine bubbles keep the lacing alive. Fluffy crispness in this lighter-bodied beer. Green chili flavor is very prevalent from start to finish, very even, while still letting other flavors through. Beery flavors ensue, with fermented grain and a quick kiss of hops. Clean dry finish with a very mild chili warmth. It screams "lunchtime beer"--what a great way to wake up the palate. Without a doubt this is a very well put together chili beer.

3.4/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Pale banana yellow, slightly chill-hazed, topped with a one-finger head of fuzzy white. A thick, bubbly ring remains.

In the nose: a bit of sour grain and maybe some apple and cracker, but behind it all is the subtle fire of pepper, like the juice of a fresh jalapeno. It's actually not terrible -- the piquancy adds some interest to a pretty bland aroma.

Take note, Cave Creek: this is how a chili lager is made. The flavor exhibits the natural character of a bland American lager -- a bit of breadiness, the slightest hint of sweet apple. The star of the flavor is the pepper, but it's applied with such a light touch. I get none of the abrasive, jarring heat that turns me off in other beers like this one -- just the crisp, snappily herbal qualities of pepper.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation and a subtle fizziness. The beer finishes with a refreshing snap, each sip clearing the palate and preparing for the next sip.

Having experienced so many disgusting attempts at chili beer, this one was a pleasant surprise. It's definitely not my favorite style, but I wouldn't turn away another bottle of Rio Grande -- which is saying a lot.

3.8/5  rDev +15.5%

Yes, I would have this beer again. I don't think it gets a fair shake from most people. I was a little afraid to try it myself and looked at the bottle wondering why the heck I bought it. Got it at Tops in Phoenix.

APPEARANCE: Respectable looking. Nice clear, medium gold color with just a little foam that quickly disappeared.

AROMA: Smells like a light lager beer with--no surprise here--noticible green chile aroma.

TASTE: Again, no surprise, tastes like a light later with chile flavoring. Imagine a Bud Light Lime or Miller Child WITHOUT the lime and bit more Chile kick and you've got the idea.

MOUTHFEEL was medium with nice carbonation--not too much and not flat. Pretty smooth considering the pepper.

3.78/5  rDev +14.9%

It seems Sierra Blanca Brewing took over the old Rio Grande brewey and decided to carry on a few of their beers, this is one of them. 12 oz bottle pours a light yellow color with a thin and rapidly diminishing white foam. Readily apparent this is a lager based chile beer.

The nose is pretty nice as the green chiles smell very much like being fire roasted. As with most beers in this category, the chiles dominate every other aroma in the beer. That's fine with me as I dont know if I could ever get sick of eating, drinking or smelling them!

Tastes like the base of this beer is a pretty bland lager, there is a light graininess from the malt and that is balanced by a faint hop bitterness. The chiles are great, not overly powerful or hot, but the roasted flavor has the faintest reminder of cardboard. This is far from the abomination that is Cave Creek, it's a pretty drinkable beer. There is a very slight heat in the back of the throat, but nothing dramatic. I probably will like this beer more than most, as I absolutely love green chiles in beer. This one is a pretty decent attempt, I like it.

1.8/5  rDev -45.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

People in New Mexico have a little thing with their chiles. Well actually it is a big thing. Eat anywhere that serves regional cuisine and you will be asked "red, green, or both?" Chile is served on everything, so I guess it is only natural that someone makes a beer with it. While it may sound like a great idea, it ended up being a disaster in my mouth - and glass. No head whatsoever. The first sip actually burnt the back of my mouth a bit from the chile and after that the chile was so strong, I could barely keep it in my mouth. Now the question is what I am going to do with the other 5 bottles in my fridge. Not to mention the half full glass next to me that I won't be able to finish.

P.S. If a green chile could take a piss, this is what would be in the toilet.

2.93/5  rDev -10.9%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

1.05/5  rDev -68.1%

I think I may have been given bottle #5 of the 6-pack that GCBrewingCO bought. I *should* thank AKSmokedPorter for this, but I think kicking him in the balls for this concoction would be more appropriate.

The appearance is the only redeeming feature of this beer. Clear, amber-tinged straw. Negative head. None. Swirl the glass. Nothing. And it gets worse. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm not a chile pepper fan, but a beer bottle is NOT supposed to emit odors like this. Overpowering tendrils of powerful chile snake out the bottle and rape my nostrils. Flavor? Really nothing other than an excuse to take a layer or two of flesh off my tongue. I don't think I've ever come closer to a voluntary refunding of beer. I was afraid to pour it down the sink as I thought the resulting stench would be blamed on my recent visit to Taco Bell.

Maybe someone could show me the way, but I'll gladly steer clear of chile beers in the future, thank you very much.

Notes: So much for the beer I bought AKSP in Seattle. After this, he doesn't deserve it.

2.9/5  rDev -11.9%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, and what head did form (not much) was gone in a flash, leaving a few stray bubbles aroud the rim of the surface of the light golden brew. Absolutely no lacing. Aroma is dominated by green peppers, which one would expect. Taste is dominated by the pepperness in all facets, but some pale malt sweetness does poke its nose out here and there. Mouthfeel is limp, with little carbonation, and drinkability is so-so. Not one for pepper-haters, but seemingly not as bad as that other crazy pepper beer.

3.45/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Bottle provided by GCBrewingCo..what a great guy. Thanks for the opportunity. Pours...well, nuts, into my glass went some sediment. It was looking crystal clear light tan up to that point. Has a rapidly disappearing white soda-pop head. Smells potently of vegetable pepper with only a mild hot sting involved. This is good as I'm a bit of a 'sissy pants' when it comes to hot foods. Another sniff reveals a smoked quality, or perhaps a smell similar to that of sausage stuffed peppers cooked over the grill. Taste is not hot. It's really nice pepper tasting. Rounded and green and very vegetable tasting. Other beer qualities are either missing or drowned out by the strong pepper flavor. Oops, I spoke too soon...the aftertaste does have a bit of belly warmness and I'm likely to need a tums before bed. And after half a glass, the back of my tongue can feel the heat too. Fortunately, I've just made two really cheesy beef burritos and I'm ready to make good use of this beer. Is this a drop-everything-I-gotta-get-my-hands-on-it beer? No. It has a purpose and it serves that quite well. Md-light body and mildly carbonated.

So, now that I'm halfway done with my first burrito, I must say that this beer is really hitting the spot. I would have never imagined seeking out a pepper beer before, but I could definitely see tracking this beer down so I could serve it up when entertaining with Mexican food.

Scores from my review are judged to style, not to super-ultimate-greatest-incredible-beer-in-the-world.

3.1/5  rDev -5.8%

The beer opended with barely a wisp of carbonation leaving the bottle. It poured into the glass hazy with particulates pale golden straw and no head...none, nada, zip.

The aroma was green chillies, plain and simple. The whole time I was sniffing the aroma I was thinking, please, do not let this beer be a scotcher. The chillies overpower all other aromas that could possibly have been emitted from this beer. The chili aroma eventually takes your breath away.

The flavor was watery. The malt character was mostly absent and the chillies were actually well achieved in the flavor. The bittering was indecernable from the heat that came from the chillies which overpowered all else. There was a certain malt presence but the chillies drowned that out, however the heat was only mild to moderate.

The finish was even, not dry, not sweet and the chillie heat was in high in the back of the throat, not burning and not particularly overdone. The body was medium and the carbonation was nonexistent.

12 ounce bottle. No freshness dating. Purchased for $3.06 per six pack at Green's in Atlanta. This is a great beer for adding to chillie which is exactly what I plan to do with most of the rest of them.

2.05/5  rDev -37.7%

Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

2.95/5  rDev -10.3%

Being from Arizona, where "Everything is available with "Salsa", "Chilies" are a mainstay of many meals, this should be a "Hoot". The beer pours a translucent gold color on the pour, the head minimal in size, the lace sparse, both off white in color. Nose, the "archetypal green chili" aroma with a start that is slightly sweet, the top waterish in feel. Finish is dry, sparingly acidic, middling on the hops, dry and a pepper like twang, quite malt dry aftertaste. Spicy to be sure, different “That’s a fact Jack”, actually drinkable, unlike the Arizona version Ed's Chili Beer which I will rate at a later time.

4.15/5  rDev +26.1%

Let it warm up a bit to get the green chile smell and flavor.

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)