Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

good

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Chile Beer |  4.67% ABV

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

(Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza Alström Bros
grumpygerman

3.5/5  rDev +5.7%

12-26-2012 22:39:47 | More by jbarra101
mentor

3.45/5  rDev +4.2%

Bottle provided by GCBrewingCo..what a great guy. Thanks for the opportunity. Pours...well, nuts, into my glass went some sediment. It was looking crystal clear light tan up to that point. Has a rapidly disappearing white soda-pop head. Smells potently of vegetable pepper with only a mild hot sting involved. This is good as I'm a bit of a 'sissy pants' when it comes to hot foods. Another sniff reveals a smoked quality, or perhaps a smell similar to that of sausage stuffed peppers cooked over the grill. Taste is not hot. It's really nice pepper tasting. Rounded and green and very vegetable tasting. Other beer qualities are either missing or drowned out by the strong pepper flavor. Oops, I spoke too soon...the aftertaste does have a bit of belly warmness and I'm likely to need a tums before bed. And after half a glass, the back of my tongue can feel the heat too. Fortunately, I've just made two really cheesy beef burritos and I'm ready to make good use of this beer. Is this a drop-everything-I-gotta-get-my-hands-on-it beer? No. It has a purpose and it serves that quite well. Md-light body and mildly carbonated.

So, now that I'm halfway done with my first burrito, I must say that this beer is really hitting the spot. I would have never imagined seeking out a pepper beer before, but I could definitely see tracking this beer down so I could serve it up when entertaining with Mexican food.

Scores from my review are judged to style, not to super-ultimate-greatest-incredible-beer-in-the-world.

07-12-2005 09:27:20 | More by mentor
Phelps

3.4/5  rDev +2.7%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip.

Pale banana yellow, slightly chill-hazed, topped with a one-finger head of fuzzy white. A thick, bubbly ring remains.

In the nose: a bit of sour grain and maybe some apple and cracker, but behind it all is the subtle fire of pepper, like the juice of a fresh jalapeno. It's actually not terrible -- the piquancy adds some interest to a pretty bland aroma.

Take note, Cave Creek: this is how a chili lager is made. The flavor exhibits the natural character of a bland American lager -- a bit of breadiness, the slightest hint of sweet apple. The star of the flavor is the pepper, but it's applied with such a light touch. I get none of the abrasive, jarring heat that turns me off in other beers like this one -- just the crisp, snappily herbal qualities of pepper.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation and a subtle fizziness. The beer finishes with a refreshing snap, each sip clearing the palate and preparing for the next sip.

Having experienced so many disgusting attempts at chili beer, this one was a pleasant surprise. It's definitely not my favorite style, but I wouldn't turn away another bottle of Rio Grande -- which is saying a lot.

03-28-2011 01:53:30 | More by Phelps
mactrail

Washington

3.39/5  rDev +2.4%

A normal-looking lager in the glass, lemony yellow color with a decent foam. Not overly carbonated on the tongue. Light body, and light everything else. Some acidic sensation.

A hint of malty sweetness is followed by a nice flavor of green chiles. It's not a particularly roasted or other exotic flavor, just that vegetable chile taste with a zing of heat. And not a lot of heat, either. This would be perfectly drinkable by the schooner, and maybe really cold on a sunny day it would hit the spot. This is maybe the least hot chile beer I've had, which is OK with me, but it could use a little more flavor.

From the 12 oz bottle bought at Jubilation Fine Wines in Albuquerque.

03-01-2013 05:10:16 | More by mactrail
drabmuh

Maryland

3.35/5  rDev +1.2%

At the time of this review this is the #21 on the chile beer list. Beer has no head, heavily carbonated, no lacing, hazy, amber.

Aroma is strong and vegetal. Jalapeño peppers, a little bit of a sulfur aroma.

Tastes better than it smells. Medium to light in body, mildly dry finish. Mild pepper on the back and some mild smoke. It is a little tough to drink. Interesting experience but I don't think I'd have it again.

07-07-2011 02:39:50 | More by drabmuh
DavidST

3.33/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, didn't see if there was a freshness date on it. This pours a light golden or a straw colored beer with a small head which quickly dissipates. The feel is light and crisp. The smell is with an obvious green chili aroma followed by a crisp lager smell. The taste is much of the same, you get a nice smooth bit of green chilies, not hot at all but very pronounced.

01-05-2012 04:47:17 | More by DavidST
Gueuzedude

3.33/5  rDev +0.6%

Sampled at 1702, Tucson; August 2011
Arrives with a frothy, large bubbled, quickly disappearing, off-white colored head. The beer is a pale gold color that shows a brilliantly clear, very light, straw-gold color when held up to the light. I could just be imagining it, but a distinct note of roasted green chiles is noticeable as this is set down on the table, but an actual smell of the aroma smells more of sweet corn, herbal (not really roasted) green chile and perhaps a touch of fruitiness, and some spicy, peppery like character. The beery aromatics of this beers nose are actually pretty lame, but the green chile adds enough of an interest that I am even liking the balance that the base beer brings to the aroma

Very light bodied, this along with the sweetness reminds me quite a bit of a simplistic, industrial hard cider, though one that isn’t overly sweet. The chile flavor is quite subtle, there is just a hint of green chile flavor through the finish and perhaps just a hint of chile heat that is noticeable after a bt that lingers very subtly on the palate. Flavor of green corn (I am sure the chiles influence this). The flavor is quite noticeable for having almost no perceptible hop character; neither a bitterness or hop flavor is really here. The chile character perhaps attempts to replace the missing hop character, but in reality there is not enough chile character to the flavor to provide enough balance to the sweet grain / malt flavors. The green chile becomes a bit more noticeable as the beer warms, and while noticeable, it is still not quite as distinct as I might like.

Interesting, but I really wish more of the roasted chile character was here, and in general this could use a whole lot more chile in the flavor and aroma. I wouldn’t mind a bit more of a characterful base beer either, though this wouldn’t be nearly as noticeable if this had been more of a prominent green chile gimmick beer. Said another way, the current base beer needs a whole lot more green chile flavor to be a good attempt at a gimmick beer, to actually be a good beer though both the chile flavor needs to be boosted and the base beer needs to completely change to something with a whole lot more character (even a porter would work if the roasted green chile was done properly).

11-12-2011 14:57:39 | More by Gueuzedude

MammothTarantula

03-21-2012 00:50:43 | More by MammothTarantula
beergoot

3.23/5  rDev -2.4%

Pale, straw yellow color, white head that very quickly disappears (a common trait amongst chili beers - my understanding is the chili oils prohibit head formation/retention). Musty, chili aroma. Very mild flavor; not much chili 'oomph'. Slightly malty character. Thin body, somewhat watery. Crisp and clean.

A pretty basic and faceless chili beer. Underwhelming is my assessment, but I gave it a 3.5 rating for taste because you do get a light chili presence. I'm not sure, but it strikes me as being a lager as opposed to an ale. That might explain some of its smooth character. Perhaps a good 'starter' chili beer if someone is new to the style (and is afraid of too much heat) due to its mild nature. There are better examples out there.

07-19-2012 23:26:53 | More by beergoot
russpowell

3.13/5  rDev -5.4%

Pours an effervescent gold with 2 fingers of pearl white head. Minimal head retention & lacing

S: Peppery & chile notes, smells like a beer of this ilk should!

T: Karo syrup/apple sweetness & slight pepper spice & dryness up front. Chile spice/slight heat& faint smokeyness tries to fight through sweetness. Finishes a little dry, with pears notes & slight heat

MF: Light bodied, carbonation is okay, but skews way too sweet

Started out with promise, the promise of Chile heat, but delivers far too little in the end, sigh...

05-18-2011 02:29:26 | More by russpowell
TMoney2591

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

Served in a Surly shaker pint glass.

Thanks to jefferz5000 for this bottle!

The ninth entry in SwillFest 2011. It pours a clear sallow topped by a half-finger of white foam. The nose comprises nothing more than jalapeno skin and seeds. The taste brings in more of the same, along with some greens, and the lightest possible touch of peppery heat. The body is pretty light, with a light moderate carbonation and a watery feel. Overall, a kinda sad chile beer, but, to its credit, it doesn't try to overpower with crappy pepper heat, which definitely makes this easier to drink than most chile beers.

07-03-2011 19:42:18 | More by TMoney2591
GCBrewingCo

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

The beer opended with barely a wisp of carbonation leaving the bottle. It poured into the glass hazy with particulates pale golden straw and no head...none, nada, zip.

The aroma was green chillies, plain and simple. The whole time I was sniffing the aroma I was thinking, please, do not let this beer be a scotcher. The chillies overpower all other aromas that could possibly have been emitted from this beer. The chili aroma eventually takes your breath away.

The flavor was watery. The malt character was mostly absent and the chillies were actually well achieved in the flavor. The bittering was indecernable from the heat that came from the chillies which overpowered all else. There was a certain malt presence but the chillies drowned that out, however the heat was only mild to moderate.

The finish was even, not dry, not sweet and the chillie heat was in high in the back of the throat, not burning and not particularly overdone. The body was medium and the carbonation was nonexistent.

12 ounce bottle. No freshness dating. Purchased for $3.06 per six pack at Green's in Atlanta. This is a great beer for adding to chillie which is exactly what I plan to do with most of the rest of them.

04-13-2005 23:08:37 | More by GCBrewingCo
Nerudamann

Oregon

3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a stein glass.

Look - light golden color, clear, with about half a finger's worth of foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell - smells just like the name suggests. It smells like straight up chiles.

Taste and Mouthfeel - taste matches the smell. It pretty much tastes like a chile, except that there is no spiciness (hot) to it. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the taste it has. Just seems like a combination that wasn't meant to be. Texture is a little on the watery side.

Overall - I've had other "chile" beers before, and although this is probably the best that I've tasted, I'm still not at all in love with the taste. Still, kudos to them for it not being horrible either.

06-29-2011 03:52:54 | More by Nerudamann
eclaycamp

Kansas

3.08/5  rDev -6.9%

I really have no idea what I’m getting into with this beer. Tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo and I picked up what I initially thought would be your basic Mexican Lager (Cerveza is Spansih, after all). But a closer inspection of the label informs me that this is a berr with green chili flavor. No other pertinent information is available, which means no ABV, etc. Let me just say that I’ve had my share of chili beers that I’ve liked (Rogue Chipotle, Weston Labs #2, Flat Branch Green Chili, etc.), but more often than not they’re revolting (Cave Creek Chili Beer). Let’s see what this guy has to say. Pours a light straw that’s crystal clear, with a big foamy head that dies as quickly as it begins. So far so good. It looks like beer. First aroma is stale green chili and not much else. First taste is weird. There’s this very metallic and mineral aftertaste and not much else, except maybe a little bit of chili heat (nothing overwhelming) at the end. Second taste yields a bit more flavor, as both the beer character and the green chile flavor are finessed. I’m glad this thing isn’t the palate destroyer that I had feared when first opening the bottle, but I’m also a bit disappointed that it’s not a bit more substantial. This beer would be killer with some nice pork tacos or other spicy Mexican food. On it’s own it’s a little bit of a let down.

05-05-2011 02:19:06 | More by eclaycamp

FriedGold2112

05-17-2012 02:37:38 | More by FriedGold2112
Gusler

2.95/5  rDev -10.9%

Being from Arizona, where "Everything is available with "Salsa", "Chilies" are a mainstay of many meals, this should be a "Hoot". The beer pours a translucent gold color on the pour, the head minimal in size, the lace sparse, both off white in color. Nose, the "archetypal green chili" aroma with a start that is slightly sweet, the top waterish in feel. Finish is dry, sparingly acidic, middling on the hops, dry and a pepper like twang, quite malt dry aftertaste. Spicy to be sure, different “That’s a fact Jack”, actually drinkable, unlike the Arizona version Ed's Chili Beer which I will rate at a later time.

12-03-2002 06:00:53 | More by Gusler
neonbrown82

Nebraska

2.93/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

12-16-2005 06:01:09 | More by neonbrown82
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)