Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

good

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Chile Beer |  4.67% ABV

Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza Alström Bros
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Ratings: 73 | Reviews: 30
2.92/5  rDev -11.8%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

2.91/5  rDev -12.1%

12oz bottle from GCBrewingCo as part of BIF 20. Thanks for the opportunity.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, and what head did form (not much) was gone in a flash, leaving a few stray bubbles aroud the rim of the surface of the light golden brew. Absolutely no lacing. Aroma is dominated by green peppers, which one would expect. Taste is dominated by the pepperness in all facets, but some pale malt sweetness does poke its nose out here and there. Mouthfeel is limp, with little carbonation, and drinkability is so-so. Not one for pepper-haters, but seemingly not as bad as that other crazy pepper beer.

2.08/5  rDev -37.2%

Ok, this was for me an oddly dichotomous beer. On the one hand, I could tell there was some quality here. The actual beer underneath the chile would have been boring. Not much body or flavor, but the chile flavor is legit and actually meshes well with the beer. Still something about it doesn't sit well with me and I couldn't finish it.

1.86/5  rDev -43.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1.5

People in New Mexico have a little thing with their chiles. Well actually it is a big thing. Eat anywhere that serves regional cuisine and you will be asked "red, green, or both?" Chile is served on everything, so I guess it is only natural that someone makes a beer with it. While it may sound like a great idea, it ended up being a disaster in my mouth - and glass. No head whatsoever. The first sip actually burnt the back of my mouth a bit from the chile and after that the chile was so strong, I could barely keep it in my mouth. Now the question is what I am going to do with the other 5 bottles in my fridge. Not to mention the half full glass next to me that I won't be able to finish.

P.S. If a green chile could take a piss, this is what would be in the toilet.

1.06/5  rDev -68%

I think I may have been given bottle #5 of the 6-pack that GCBrewingCO bought. I *should* thank AKSmokedPorter for this, but I think kicking him in the balls for this concoction would be more appropriate.

The appearance is the only redeeming feature of this beer. Clear, amber-tinged straw. Negative head. None. Swirl the glass. Nothing. And it gets worse. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm not a chile pepper fan, but a beer bottle is NOT supposed to emit odors like this. Overpowering tendrils of powerful chile snake out the bottle and rape my nostrils. Flavor? Really nothing other than an excuse to take a layer or two of flesh off my tongue. I don't think I've ever come closer to a voluntary refunding of beer. I was afraid to pour it down the sink as I thought the resulting stench would be blamed on my recent visit to Taco Bell.

Maybe someone could show me the way, but I'll gladly steer clear of chile beers in the future, thank you very much.

Notes: So much for the beer I bought AKSP in Seattle. After this, he doesn't deserve it.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)