Join our email list →

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

good

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)
New Mexico, United States | website

Chile Beer | 4.67% ABV

Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza Alström Bros
firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
2.74/5  rDev -13.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

A: Pale yellow, straw color, very little head that dissipates quickly, no lacing

S: Green chile, bread, slight hops

T: Sweet bread and malts, definetly get the green chile flavor but little heat from the chile up front, possibly a slight hoppy bitterness on the end of the taste.

M: Light, little carbonation, as you drink several sips there is a little bit of heat that builds in the mouth

O: I will admit that chile in a beer is not my favorite ingredient. Ive tried a chile beer on one other occasion and I didnt like it. I would never have given this a shot but received it as a gift from a friend when I visited New Mexico. I will say that I liked this one much better than the other chile beer that I tried though.

3.08/5  rDev -2.8%

I really have no idea what I’m getting into with this beer. Tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo and I picked up what I initially thought would be your basic Mexican Lager (Cerveza is Spansih, after all). But a closer inspection of the label informs me that this is a berr with green chili flavor. No other pertinent information is available, which means no ABV, etc. Let me just say that I’ve had my share of chili beers that I’ve liked (Rogue Chipotle, Weston Labs #2, Flat Branch Green Chili, etc.), but more often than not they’re revolting (Cave Creek Chili Beer). Let’s see what this guy has to say. Pours a light straw that’s crystal clear, with a big foamy head that dies as quickly as it begins. So far so good. It looks like beer. First aroma is stale green chili and not much else. First taste is weird. There’s this very metallic and mineral aftertaste and not much else, except maybe a little bit of chili heat (nothing overwhelming) at the end. Second taste yields a bit more flavor, as both the beer character and the green chile flavor are finessed. I’m glad this thing isn’t the palate destroyer that I had feared when first opening the bottle, but I’m also a bit disappointed that it’s not a bit more substantial. This beer would be killer with some nice pork tacos or other spicy Mexican food. On it’s own it’s a little bit of a let down.

3.84/5  rDev +21.1%

A- pretty average looking beer. Lots of fizziness in the glass. Tiny head with a little bit of lacing. In all, it basically looks like a fizzy yellow beer

S- whoa! All I smell is chile juice. It's very upfront and awakens the nose, but not overpowering to burn your nose hairs. Get a tiny bit of mild citrus notes and cumin as well.

T- surprisingly after the smell, it's not overly spicy/hot. Nice even chile/pepper presence all the way through with a splash of citrus and light hop.

M-a bit creamy, light body, good carbonation. Pretty average. But it leaves a interesting warmth on your lips.

O-My first chile style cerveza. As stated in another review, this is a superb "lunchtime" beer. Which is exactly when I drank it....with my lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Not bad at all :)

4.26/5  rDev +34.4%

Pours a light gold with no head to speak of, only a rim. Aroma is like a freshly opened can of green chile. The taste is green chile dip on tortilla chips - cool! This is a absolutely great chile beer. Not hot at all but with big green chile flavor. New Mexicans (like me who love green chile) should flock to this. I'm going to have to try this with all sorts of New Mexican foods such as chile rellenos or chicken enchiladas ... will update. Should be beautiful.

3.59/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a bottle in Flagstaff AZ (after purchasing in Albuquerque the same day.)

A: Beer pours a light gold color, with rich white head.

S: Smell is of light malts, vegetables, and definitely green chiles.

T: Surprising flavor profile. Oddly refreshing with hints of green chile, caramel, and even salt.

M: nothing out of the ordinary, similar to a clean light lager style.

O: Gotta give it a try, it is not too hot. a unique beer for sure. I would definitely drink again.

My first chile beer. Not a fan of "flavored beer", but had a chance to try it on-tap.

If you like the taste and smell of green chiles, you must try this beer. Pronounced green chile taste (no jalapeno) and a nice mouth feel.

I am a fan.

3.77/5  rDev +18.9%

Yes, I would have this beer again. I don't think it gets a fair shake from most people. I was a little afraid to try it myself and looked at the bottle wondering why the heck I bought it. Got it at Tops in Phoenix.

APPEARANCE: Respectable looking. Nice clear, medium gold color with just a little foam that quickly disappeared.

AROMA: Smells like a light lager beer with--no surprise here--noticible green chile aroma.

TASTE: Again, no surprise, tastes like a light later with chile flavoring. Imagine a Bud Light Lime or Miller Child WITHOUT the lime and bit more Chile kick and you've got the idea.

MOUTHFEEL was medium with nice carbonation--not too much and not flat. Pretty smooth considering the pepper.

firstprev| 1-25 | 26-50  | next → last
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)