Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza - Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)

Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile CervezaRio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza

good

Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande) visit their website
New Mexico, United States

Chile Beer |  4.67% ABV

This beer has an unmistakable roasted chile aroma and flavor without being too hot. The whole chile is used to infuse the beer with a mild green chile flavor and leaves you with just a hint of heat on the back end.

(Beer added by: twiggamortis420 on 01-31-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza Alström Bros
4.25/5  rDev +28.4%

TheBishopco, May 16, 2012
2.93/5  rDev -11.5%

This beer was provided in trade by GCBrewingCo if I remember correctly. It's been a while. I just found it hiding in the back of my cellar, obviously too scared to drink it however many months ago. I feared it may be bad by now, but it was actually quite decent provided that this is a disgusting style.

The beer pours to a light clear yellow with no head (could be the age that this beer obviously is not meant to withstand). Nothing too impressive at all, but nothing off-putting.

The smell reminds me of my brother's chili. I've had chili beers that taste like peppers, but this one actually smells and tastes exactly like chili. It is intriguing, but the novelty wears off quick and you realize you are drinking a beer that tastes like chili. I like beer, and I like chili, and I like using beer to make my chili... but I realize I don't need a beer that tastes like chili. All I'm thinking now is that I also have a Crazy Ed's Cave Creek Chili Beer in my fridge as well... I can only imagine how bad that one will be.

neonbrown82, Dec 16, 2005

HamGlade10, Apr 06, 2014

grumpygerman, Sep 14, 2012
1.05/5  rDev -68.3%

I think I may have been given bottle #5 of the 6-pack that GCBrewingCO bought. I *should* thank AKSmokedPorter for this, but I think kicking him in the balls for this concoction would be more appropriate.

The appearance is the only redeeming feature of this beer. Clear, amber-tinged straw. Negative head. None. Swirl the glass. Nothing. And it gets worse. Maybe it's 'cuz I'm not a chile pepper fan, but a beer bottle is NOT supposed to emit odors like this. Overpowering tendrils of powerful chile snake out the bottle and rape my nostrils. Flavor? Really nothing other than an excuse to take a layer or two of flesh off my tongue. I don't think I've ever come closer to a voluntary refunding of beer. I was afraid to pour it down the sink as I thought the resulting stench would be blamed on my recent visit to Taco Bell.

Maybe someone could show me the way, but I'll gladly steer clear of chile beers in the future, thank you very much.

Notes: So much for the beer I bought AKSP in Seattle. After this, he doesn't deserve it.

OldFrothingSlosh, Sep 30, 2005
3.1/5  rDev -6.3%

Poured from a bottle into a stein glass.

Look - light golden color, clear, with about half a finger's worth of foam that dissipates quickly.

Smell - smells just like the name suggests. It smells like straight up chiles.

Taste and Mouthfeel - taste matches the smell. It pretty much tastes like a chile, except that there is no spiciness (hot) to it. To be honest, I'm not a fan of the taste it has. Just seems like a combination that wasn't meant to be. Texture is a little on the watery side.

Overall - I've had other "chile" beers before, and although this is probably the best that I've tasted, I'm still not at all in love with the taste. Still, kudos to them for it not being horrible either.

Nerudamann, Jun 29, 2011

SportsandJorts, May 22, 2013

cfh64, Jul 03, 2012
3.33/5  rDev +0.6%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass, didn't see if there was a freshness date on it. This pours a light golden or a straw colored beer with a small head which quickly dissipates. The feel is light and crisp. The smell is with an obvious green chili aroma followed by a crisp lager smell. The taste is much of the same, you get a nice smooth bit of green chilies, not hot at all but very pronounced.

DavidST, Jan 05, 2012

Beermazter310, Dec 03, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

MammothTarantula, Mar 21, 2012

pathead, Feb 03, 2013
4.5/5  rDev +36%

TheSSG, Jan 07, 2013
3.79/5  rDev +14.5%

First Chile beer here and as a lover of hot and spicy foods I am pretty excited.

Pours a clear gold with a moderate head. The smell is a little underwhelming, I pick up the green chile for sure but it mostly just smells like any ole standard lager. The more of the beer I drank though the more that green chile smell came forward.

The beer is crisp, clean, and has some mild sweetness to it. After that I do pick up the green chile flavor and a very very mild hot pepper kick lingers that has me going back for more.

Overall, this beer is quite drinkable and enjoyable. It's not amazing (wish it had quite a bit more kick to it!) but still a solid beer. If you aren't a huge fan of hot food this might be a good example of a milder chile beer to try. Perhaps if I have multiple in one sitting the hot pepper flavor will slowly build like it does when eating spicy food over the course of a meal. Guess I'll have to get multiple bottles next time to find out.

kp29, Apr 17, 2013

FriedGold2112, May 17, 2012

Vigilante, Apr 15, 2013

Dinkel, Oct 17, 2013
2.5/5  rDev -24.5%

soonerlight, Jun 01, 2014
3.08/5  rDev -6.9%

I really have no idea what I’m getting into with this beer. Tomorrow is Cinco De Mayo and I picked up what I initially thought would be your basic Mexican Lager (Cerveza is Spansih, after all). But a closer inspection of the label informs me that this is a berr with green chili flavor. No other pertinent information is available, which means no ABV, etc. Let me just say that I’ve had my share of chili beers that I’ve liked (Rogue Chipotle, Weston Labs #2, Flat Branch Green Chili, etc.), but more often than not they’re revolting (Cave Creek Chili Beer). Let’s see what this guy has to say. Pours a light straw that’s crystal clear, with a big foamy head that dies as quickly as it begins. So far so good. It looks like beer. First aroma is stale green chili and not much else. First taste is weird. There’s this very metallic and mineral aftertaste and not much else, except maybe a little bit of chili heat (nothing overwhelming) at the end. Second taste yields a bit more flavor, as both the beer character and the green chile flavor are finessed. I’m glad this thing isn’t the palate destroyer that I had feared when first opening the bottle, but I’m also a bit disappointed that it’s not a bit more substantial. This beer would be killer with some nice pork tacos or other spicy Mexican food. On it’s own it’s a little bit of a let down.

eclaycamp, May 05, 2011

acslatersbtb, Aug 08, 2013

jbarra101, Dec 26, 2012
3.85/5  rDev +16.3%

A- pretty average looking beer. Lots of fizziness in the glass. Tiny head with a little bit of lacing. In all, it basically looks like a fizzy yellow beer

S- whoa! All I smell is chile juice. It's very upfront and awakens the nose, but not overpowering to burn your nose hairs. Get a tiny bit of mild citrus notes and cumin as well.

T- surprisingly after the smell, it's not overly spicy/hot. Nice even chile/pepper presence all the way through with a splash of citrus and light hop.

M-a bit creamy, light body, good carbonation. Pretty average. But it leaves a interesting warmth on your lips.

O-My first chile style cerveza. As stated in another review, this is a superb "lunchtime" beer. Which is exactly when I drank it....with my lunch at a Mexican restaurant. Not bad at all :)

Bierlerner, Apr 27, 2011
3.25/5  rDev -1.8%

Razorback09, Jun 20, 2013
4.28/5  rDev +29.3%

Pours a light gold with no head to speak of, only a rim. Aroma is like a freshly opened can of green chile. The taste is green chile dip on tortilla chips - cool! This is a absolutely great chile beer. Not hot at all but with big green chile flavor. New Mexicans (like me who love green chile) should flock to this. I'm going to have to try this with all sorts of New Mexican foods such as chile rellenos or chicken enchiladas ... will update. Should be beautiful.

atomicbeer, Apr 28, 2011
1.5/5  rDev -54.7%

bugbear, Feb 12, 2012
Rio Grande Pancho Verde Chile Cerveza from Sierra Blanca Brewing Company (Rio Grande)