Irish Ale - Top Shelf Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.

Top Shelf Brewing Company visit their website
Connecticut, United States

Irish Red Ale |  5.00% ABV

(Beer added by: sulldaddy on 09-08-2013)
Reviews by Thads324:
2.19/5  rDev -29.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 1 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 2.25

A: Poured from a bomber, Belgian shaped. Pours a murky reddish coper color, deep red, thin whispy tan head that dissipates to a small ring quickly.
S: aroma of light roasted grain, toasted bread and a hint of smoke maybe. Some pumpernickel as well. Earthy and pleasant.
T: taste is awful. It tastes like I'm drinking plastic. There aren't any other discernable flavors. Very watery plastic flavor.
M: feel is light and easy to drink at 5%. Low on the bubbles

Smell was good and made it seem like this was going to be a nice Irish red. I actually really liked the aroma. Hopefully this new brewery gets their growing pains figured out sooner rather than later.
I will try this beer again and hopefully it will taste the way it is supposed to.

3.14/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 3

Copper colored with a low off-white head that settles out quickly. Low aroma of toasted malt, a raisin note, slightly metallic. Flavor of caramel malt, some bready notes, and a hint of toffee. Not much depth of flavor. Mouthfeel is thin, low carbonation, a slight astringent note. Overall this beer is drinkable and sessionable, but very average.

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

3.75/5  rDev +20.2%

2.25/5  rDev -27.9%

3.76/5  rDev +20.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I picked up a 22 oz bomber of this beer at the brewery on their grand opening date. The beer pours a slightly hazy mahogany color with minimal beige head of 1 cm foaming up and fading to and edge layer rapidly after the pour.
Aroma is some caramel and a bit of cocoa like aroma, the nose is mild but appealing.
First sip reveals an average body and medium yet tingly carbonation.
The flavor is caramel and chocolate malt with just a bit of earthy hops to balance things out on each sip. No hints of the booze (5%ish). The beer is simple and easy to drink, would make a good session ale and doesnt have any flaws that I can detect.
Simple good beer. give it a try!

2.75/5  rDev -11.9%

1.9/5  rDev -39.1%

Let me start by saying that I am a HUGE supporter of local beers, and I was really pulling for this new brewer out of Manchester, CT.

The appearance was that of an unfiltered red ale...REALLY unfiltered. It otherwise had a rich copper tone and a scant, almost nothing whitish head.

Odor was fine, nothing to write home about, but seemingly bready.

The flavor was like a cross between apple juice and vinegar, with a slight backbone of vomit. I almost spit out my first sip. I'm not sure if I'm missing something, but my gut tells me it was a bad batch. I hope it was because I'd really like to see Top Shelf make it. Any offerings that can be had from local brewers is a benefit to local economy and offers me a sense of pride as a CT resident who often brags of places like Hooker, Two Roads and Willimantic Brewery.

I'm willing to give another shot at it, but will definitely need some time before working up the cojones.

2.5/5  rDev -19.9%