Powerline Porter - Latitude 42 Brewing Company

No picture uploaded.
good

Latitude 42 Brewing Company visit their website

American Porter |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: BrewtalHonesty on 10-23-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by Bung:

3.8/5  rDev +3%

3.43/5  rDev -7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Latitude 42's Powerline Porter last week for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the three beers from Latitude 42 that recently hit the market, so far I haven't been impressed, but I'm interested to see how this Porter turns out, so let see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks really nice, it's goes great with the name and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right one the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through. It had two and half fingers worth of fluffy light mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some sticky and patchy lacing behind. I thought this was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all, it's just what I expect a great American Porter to look like.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice dark roasted malt aroma with some nice coffee and chocolate aromas coming through with a slight caramel aroma in the background. Up next comes a sweet an almost sweet stout like aroma that's followed by a noticeable creamy aroma. Right at the end the there's a noticeable grainy aroma showing up. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I just wish it didn't have that grainy aroma at the end.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the roasted malts that impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they are fairly lighter and they lack most of that robustness that I got in the aroma, but the coffee and chocolate still seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's a grainy a slightly watery flavor followed by a higher amount of light bitterness that almost had a bitter coffee like aspect to it and it had a grainy, slightly watery and roasted malt like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting American Porter, but I wish it didn't have that grainy and slightly watery finish.

M- Smooth, clean, fairly crisp, slightly watery, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i think if it wasn't slightly watery and had a little less carbonation it would be very true to the style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of an American Porter, It had a good amount of aspects that I expect from the style and it had some nice robustness in the aroma, but when it came to the taste it was just a little lighter than I wanted it to be and I found myself wishing it was more robust like the aroma was. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, fairly crisp, not too rich, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, and I think one is enough for me, any more than that and I think I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was the only aspect about this beer that I thought was really nice and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, I thought it was the beers biggest weak point and I think I would like it more if it was more like the aroma. I don't think I would get this beer again, I'm not going to rule it out because there may be a time I want a Porter in a can and this is the only option, but this isn't something that I would try and keep in the fridge and I don't think I would recommend it as a must try American Porter. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, like the other two canned beers I had from Latitude 42 they all ended up being just ok at best, but none of them stood as being really well made beers and so far I'm not completely sold on this brewery, but I'm willing to try more of their beers. I think this one falls right in the middle as far as American Porters go for me. I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little work this could be a pretty solid American Porter, better luck next time guys.

4.16/5  rDev +12.7%

4.68/5  rDev +26.8%

3.68/5  rDev -0.3%

12 ounce can into pint glass, canned on 4/1/2014. Pours slightly hazy very dark brown color with a 2 finger dense tan head with good retention, that reduces to a nice cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, caramel, toast, dark bread, light herbal, and roasted earthiness. Nice and pleasant aromas with good balance and complexity of dark/roasted malt notes; with solid strength. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, caramel, roasted malt, coffee, toast, dark bread, light char, herbal, and roasted earthiness. Light earthy/roasted bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of milk chocolate, cocoa, roasted malt, coffee, caramel, toast, dark bread, herbal, and roasted earthiness on the finish for a good bit. Nice balance and robustness of dark/roasted malt flavors; with a good roasted sweetness/bitterness balance and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a smooth, moderately creamy, and lightly chalky mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this was a nice porter. Good robustness and balance of dark/roasted malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

3.25/5  rDev -11.9%