Powerline Porter - Latitude 42 Brewing Company

Beer added by: BrewtalHonesty on 10-23-2013

Reviews by Bung:

3.51/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Enjoyed form the 12 oz can in a pint glass. This nice porter pours a deep cola blackish brown with wisps of light brown high lights and a nice head of light tan foam that settles to a thick ring, thin layer, and excellent lacing. Nose of cocoa, coffee, raisins, and deeply roasted malts. Flavors follow the nose with deeply roasted grains, rye bread crust, cold pressed coffee, and cocoa swinging in a touch of sweet lactose cream with a bitter malt aftertaste. What I want a porter to taste like, satisfying and roasty. Full mouth feel with moderate carbonation finishes lightly bitter between roasted malt and a subtle hop character. A new favorite from this brewery. A stout drinkers joy. Very nice.

3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

3.5/5  rDev -1.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Latitude 42's Powerline Porter last week for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. This is the last of the three beers from Latitude 42 that recently hit the market, so far I haven't been impressed, but I'm interested to see how this Porter turns out, so let see how it goes. No visible canning date. Poured from a 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks really nice, it's goes great with the name and I think it's pretty eye catching. It poured a very dark brown color that was right one the border of being black and it didn't let any light come through. It had two and half fingers worth of fluffy light mocha colored head that died down to a thick ring that stayed till the end and it left some sticky and patchy lacing behind. I thought this was a very nice looking beer, I have no complaints at all, it's just what I expect a great American Porter to look like.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the roasted malts being the first to show up and they impart a nice dark roasted malt aroma with some nice coffee and chocolate aromas coming through with a slight caramel aroma in the background. Up next comes a sweet an almost sweet stout like aroma that's followed by a noticeable creamy aroma. Right at the end the there's a noticeable grainy aroma showing up. This beer had a pretty nice aroma, I just wish it didn't have that grainy aroma at the end.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by the roasted malts that impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but this time they are fairly lighter and they lack most of that robustness that I got in the aroma, but the coffee and chocolate still seem to stick out the most. On the finish there's a grainy a slightly watery flavor followed by a higher amount of light bitterness that almost had a bitter coffee like aspect to it and it had a grainy, slightly watery and roasted malt like aftertaste. This was a decent tasting American Porter, but I wish it didn't have that grainy and slightly watery finish.

M- Smooth, clean, fairly crisp, slightly watery, on the thicker side of being medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice, but i think if it wasn't slightly watery and had a little less carbonation it would be very true to the style.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and I thought it was pretty close to being an average example of an American Porter, It had a good amount of aspects that I expect from the style and it had some nice robustness in the aroma, but when it came to the taste it was just a little lighter than I wanted it to be and I found myself wishing it was more robust like the aroma was. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, clean, fairly crisp, not too rich, not too filling, but the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, and I think one is enough for me, any more than that and I think I would start to get bored with it. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, it was the only aspect about this beer that I thought was really nice and to me it was the highlight of this beer. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, I thought it was the beers biggest weak point and I think I would like it more if it was more like the aroma. I don't think I would get this beer again, I'm not going to rule it out because there may be a time I want a Porter in a can and this is the only option, but this isn't something that I would try and keep in the fridge and I don't think I would recommend it as a must try American Porter. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, like the other two canned beers I had from Latitude 42 they all ended up being just ok at best, but none of them stood as being really well made beers and so far I'm not completely sold on this brewery, but I'm willing to try more of their beers. I think this one falls right in the middle as far as American Porters go for me. I appreciate the effort, but I think with a little work this could be a pretty solid American Porter, better luck next time guys.

3.42/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.69/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

4.16/5  rDev +16.9%

3.75/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

2.96/5  rDev -16.9%

Latitude 42 Powerline Porter.

Have yet to try one outta these guys so let's hope for a great first impression. Porters are really a style I tend to neglect, but this can was a buck so why not. Though at the ABV I don't expect a beereligious experience. We shall see.

Look - Popped the top and was met by massive over run of some deep mocha head that had to be immediately stuck up to my glass to prevent any spillage. Caused a behemoth of a head. At this point I'm getting fairly annoyed with the stop and pour. Ahhh at long last. Beer is a deep, deeeeep ruby that can still be penetrated by the light. Carbonation looks to be on high to nobodies surprise. Leaving only spotty lacing despite the obnoxious head. 3.

Smell - This one brought the can into the glass. Getting some moderate coffee notes but overall it is strongly metallic. 2.

Taste - Sweet, and I mean very, veryyyy sweet chocolates on the forefront. Matter of fact, this whole beer is like eating a damn hershey bar or something. 4.

Feel - Light bodied with wayyyyyyy to much carbonation. The bolts on the can are showing you how your tongue will feel as you let it sit. Creamy though, so that is a plus I guess. 2.

Overall - While it tasted pretty good, the insane carbonation completely killed this beer for me. And carb has never had THAT big of an effect on my judging until this one. Hmm..Pass. 2.5.

4.25/5  rDev +19.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Full of flavor with a lower abv. Great beer, drinks like a stout without a massive alcohol content. Very nice stuff

4.68/5  rDev +31.5%

3.08/5  rDev -13.5%

3.88/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Powerline Porter from Latitude 42 Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 4 ratings.