Red Beard Ale - Latitude 42 Brewing Company

Reviews by Drk93TT:

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

3.6/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

2.25/5  rDev n/a

3.25/5  rDev n/a

2.85/5  rDev n/a

3.25/5  rDev n/a

3.42/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.38/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a can of Latitude 42 Brewing Company's Red Beard Ale last week for $1.69 at The Lager Mill. I've only had one beer from this Brewing Company and since cans just started showing up in my area I thought I would them a try and I thought I would start of with the India Style Red Ale, so lets see how it goes. No visible canning date, but i think it's fairly fresh. Poured from a red 12oz can into a imperial pint glass.

A- The can looks nice, it's got a pirate theme to go with the name and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a nice and fairly clear amber color that took on more of a red color when held to the light with two fingers worth of off white/light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end it left some nice sheets of lacing behind. This was a pretty good looking beer, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart a mixture of citrus rind, earthy resinous, and spicy hop aromas with the citrus rind hops seeming to stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which impart some sweet malt, slightly grainy, slightly bready and some caramel malt like aromas with a slight bit of doughy yeast showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, and it's what I would expect from a India style Red Ale.

T- The taste seems to be fairly similar to the aroma and it starts off with a slightly higher amount of medium sweetness followed by the hops being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma, but they are lighter and the citrus rind hops still stick out the most. Up next comes the malts which seem to show up the same amount and impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single malty aspect seeming to stick out the most and there's still a light doughy yeast aspect in the background. On the finish there's a slightly lower amount of medium bitterness with a hoppy and slightly malty aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, but I wish the taste was a little more like the aroma.

M- Fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, slightly sticky, medium bodied with a slightly lighter amount of medium bitterness. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and decent example of a hoppy Red Ale, it was pretty true to style, but I found both the hop profile and the malt profile to be a little bland and not too interesting and that held this beer back from being as good as it could be. This beer didn't have the best drinkability, it was fairly smooth, clean, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I could drink a couple of these, but I think I would start to get bored with this beer after one. What I like the most about this beer was the appearance, this was a pretty good looking Red Ale and it was the only aspect of this beer that didn't have anything that I disliked. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste and drinkability, they both needed some work and they held this beer back from being as good as it could be. I don't think I would buy this beer again and I wouldn't recommend this as a great hoppy Red Ale. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, it was decent but as far as hoppy Red Ales go it falls right in the middle and I didn't think it was a memorable beer. This isn't my favorite hoppy Red Ale or my favorite Latitude 42 beer. I appreciate the effort, but this one could use a little work, better luck next time guys. (3,609 characters)

3.56/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: Copper red filtered with no bubbles, 3 fingers of off white head and some snow flake like lacing.

S: Pine and tropical fruit, pineapple, papaya, mango, a little red pepper, caramel and orange.

T: Pine, orange candy, caramel, Christmas spices like nutmeg and cinnamon.

M: Medium, lightly syrupy body, low carbonation.

O: Really a nice brew. Very good, just not awesome. My first by this brewery, I got it in Saginaw, MI. (426 characters)

3.68/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.24/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

Appearance: deep reddish orange color. almost opaque but lets light through. a finger or just more of an off white head that leaves behind a sticky lacing

Smell: strong bready malts, a mix of hops from citrus to herbal and spicy.

Taste: opens with some lighter crystal malts. lots of breadiness and a little toastiness. light amount of hops. some citrus, herbal and a light spiciness.

Mouthfeel: very light and not very bitter.

Overall: I'd label this beer more as a red than an india red. lacks hoppiness and is a little light and clean on the feel. (554 characters)

3.26/5  rDev n/a
look: 3 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

3.74/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.37/5  rDev n/a
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

3.75/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

first ← prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | nextlast
Red Beard Ale from Latitude 42 Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 6 ratings.