1. Get 12 issues / year of BeerAdvocate magazine for only $9.99!

Native Lager - The Native Brewing Co.

Native LagerNative Lager

rAvg: 3
The Native Brewing Co. visit their website
Florida, United States

Light Lager |  ABV ?

(Beer added by: UnionMade on 07-17-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by shivtim:
2.45/5  rDev -18.3%

Had a pint of this on tap at Big City Tavern while in Fort Lauderdale for work.

Clear yellow. Effervescent. Dense foamy bright white head. Looks like a macro except for the size and thickness of the head.

Nose is gentle malt, not much else.

Taste is mild malt, corn/grain. Not much there. Slightly metallic.

Mouthfeel is fine.

Overall quite forgettable, but still good to see local beer in South Florida. I can see how this one would be popular with the masses.

3.4/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to RomaniIteDomum for including this as an extra in a trade.

This pours very much like champagne: a big, bubbly head that fades (certainly not as quickly as the typical macro light) and some active fizzy carbonation in the glass. The color is a deeper, darker gold than any macro I've seen, light or otherwise, with very few exceptions. This one even leaves some thin, spotty lacing behind.
The nose is tame with some grains and a light tangy sweetness. There's an herbal element to a light hops note.
The flavors are fairly sturdy for a light. There's definitely some herbal flavor and something earthy in there, and it's fairly well-balanced. Hops and malt both make an appearance on the tongue. There's a citrus tang in a finish that doesn't linger long.
The body is light, though not watery or especially thin, with a fairly crisp feel and even just a little smoothness.
If I had to go light, I wouldn't mind making this one a backup to Sam Adams light if it was available to me.

2.8/5  rDev -6.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle

A- Pours an ever so lightly hazed golden yellow color with an off-white head.

S- The aroma is a clean lager smell with some grain and very minimal hops.

T- The taste like the aroma features some malt and a low hop bitterness. Not bad, but nothing really stands out.

M- The mouthfeel is light with a good amount of carbonation.

D- Not a bad lager, but not great either. I could drink a few of these, no problem. However, it doesn't really stand out in any way to purchase again.

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

3.45/5  rDev +15%

I am trying to keep in mind that this is a lager and that any beer that resembles one of the big three automatically is assumed to lesser value. This beer is on tap at the Tap Room in Ft. Lauderdale. Was really unsure of what to expect but what I found was enjoyable.

A very bright (not clear) golden color, very bubbly head. Was poured in a 22oz plastic cup-very Spring Breakish! Tasted wonderfully, this beer reminded me of doing the dishes as a little boy and finishing off the remainder of the beer that was not consumed during dinner. Very sweet.-Situationally this was one of the better beers I've had in a while. Hot March day in Ft. Lauderdale, drinking a beer mindless beer out of a plastic cup, thinking of why I moved to Massachusetts, college kids trying to pick up the waitresses. Oh to be young again!

3.93/5  rDev +31%

Native is now being brewed and bottled under the Indian River Brewing company in Melbourne.

For a light lager this is pretty good. No off put flavors in mouth, slight funk in the nose but that's my fault. This is no sam adams light but nothing else is. I could definately find a good home for this beer from the Indian River brewing company.

Very pale yellow with a white head that dissipates quickly into a white ring. Not much lacing, think wisps down the side here and there.

Smells a little grainy and citrusy (acidic?) twang in the nose. Almost like v8 but I did have alot of tomato based BBQ tonight.
EDIT*

Taste is sweet malt with a little honey on the tongue. Small showing of hops. Yesterday I didn't think the taste was either good or bad but today I have to say one of THE BEST light lagers I have ever had. Actually better than most pale lagers.

Easy than budlight and miller light going down. This should be the new light lager.

3.4/5  rDev +13.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

This beer is a typical lager with a golden color; with a light foamy head. Once I poured it into my glass I was totally expecting something like a Natural Light. I took a sip and to by suprise this beer was pretty good. It had a nice smooth taste. No bad after taste. If I had to describe this beer in one word it would be - Smooth.

This a great and highly recommended alternative to Bud Light. Good for quick drinking.

I gave this beer a 3.5 because it is above average for a light lager.

3.73/5  rDev +24.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Another offering from the Fresh Beer, Inc. in Ft. Lauderdale. This is also being offered in local pubs and restuarants as an alternative to the regular AB dominated line-up.
Medium yellow color, thin white fizzy head. Very much expected from a lager. Nice hop presence on the nose. This smells like your dad's beer. Very traditional beer flavors. Slightly sweet, but a bit more full bodied and flavorful than a Budweiser, Fosters, MGD beer. Think of it has the Brooklyn Lager's little brother, less hops for sure, but still a crisp, dry finish, and very suitable for the Florida summers. Some will find it thin and watery to finish, but it is decently drinkable. I'm guess I'm just not impressed by lagers anymore, but this and the Brooklyn Lager are the best tasting I have had in a while.

2.25/5  rDev -25%

2.85/5  rDev -5%

Pours a pale golden honey with a small white head. No retention to speak of, and just about the same for lace.

Not much in the aroma department besides some stale hops, grass, and a touch of butter.

Nothing special in the flavor department either. A decent honey sweetness and a touch of citrus. Hops start spicy and end up stale. A faint metallic note comes in towards the end. Comes off with a Heineken-like twang, which I am not a fan of. Finishes clean and slightly dry.

Light in body and pretty smooth. Thin and watery on the tongue. Better than an offering from BMC, especially if this is indeed a light beer (which I am slightly skeptical about). Easy drinking lawnmower beer. There are worse beers out there, and certainly better ones.

3.78/5  rDev +26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Another local brew I have tasted from my home state, FL, and I'm glad to say I wasn't disappointed.

The Native FL Lager pours out a beautiful shade of yellow - dark, yet clear, and even though it has little head and lacing, the color of the beer was simply great to look at. The lager had strong scents of citrus - primarily orange and lime, with a distant hint of tangerine. The mouthfeel was absolutely what I look for - little carbonation along with a smooth, silky feel. The taste followed along with the smell - I could definitely pull out the oranges and limes - really nice. And it had a good bodied tasted for a lager - not the normal watered down stuff you find from the big brewers. Overall, I enjoyed the beer - I really hoped I would and many times end up getting disappointed - but not this time.

If you drink, please don't drive, and if you drive, for cryin' out loud - don't drink...frui cervisiam consciam.

1.6/5  rDev -46.7%

Note: This is now brewed and bottled by Indian River Beverage exclusively for the Native Brewing Co. the bottle label is now far more arsty fartsy ..i'll get a photo on the way. Smell is skunky sweet like a good lager should be! Pours to a ever so slightly cloudy dark yellow. Not much head. Taste is unique to say the least. Mouthfeel has good carbonation and texture. Back to the taste...yikes...I don't know what kind of hops are in this beer but I don't want to know. Match that with a swampwater taste and this is a disaster. I hope this is a bad bottle..(slightly cloudy) if so I will rate again..this is worse than Landshark for chrissakes. The first beer in my life I can't finish and will be dumped out...Another bottle (not cloudy) same nastiness... I wonder if even a dog would drink this (probably)... I pray the whole sixer is just bad and this beer doesn't really taste like this....(I need to find a dog for the other 4 bottles)

2.75/5  rDev -8.3%

Picked this bad boy up at Krause's supermarket on Highway One in Key Largo this past weekend. They have a decent selection of singles and this caught my eye with it's no nonsense label and packaging.

Beautiful golden color is offset by the complete lack of head and intense, almost scary carbonation. Nose is faint but unpleasant.

Taste has some balls for a light beer, with a slight kick of hops to accompany the neutered but present malt. Mouthfeel is watery and pretty thin. For a light beer this really isn't bad at all. I woldn't look for it again but would pick it above macro lights and most macros any day.

3/5  rDev 0%

poured a mostly clear straw color with a white small head and minimal lacing..had to order this lager while in FL ..smell was adjunct with a malt biscuit odor..taste was grain ,rice and flour mix in some hops and biscuit and you have a sub par adjunct lager..mouth feel was carbonated had some residual flavor if you looked for it..you can drink alot of this if you have some chips and salsa to add flavor to iit

2.5/5  rDev -16.7%

3.39/5  rDev +13%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

2.9/5  rDev -3.3%

For a light lager I have to give this one props, it's a far cry from the other macro beers. Bottle art is a little blaze but oh well. Pours the traditional bright gold color of most lagers, very carbonated. Smell was faint, not much to pick up on besides some wisps of malt. Taste was....there! It wasn't the thin bland taste you would expect, instead it was malty with some mild citrus hoppiness. I would say take these out on the boat and sip and leave the Bud for the beer funnels.

3/5  rDev 0%

Bottle thanks to hopscotch. Pours a clear orange color with a small white head. A light aroma of malts and hops. The flavor was pretty interesting; lots of spices and carbonation, very alive. Some light malt and semi-bitter hops. Some biscuit flavors and quite tangy. Not bad. A very decent lager.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Native Lager from The Native Brewing Co.