Quad - Une Année

Une Année visit their website
Illinois, United States

Quadrupel (Quad) |  11.00% ABV

Beer added by: Danimal25 on 01-06-2014

The richest of all Belgian ales, the Quadrupel is not for the faint of heart. Pouring deep amber, ours is mellow in color but rich with flavor. Look for plum, dried cherry and fig esters with mild phenolic spice notes and a dry finish.
4.41/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Tried this at MWBBF2015.

A - ruddy brown with light tan head. visibly thick
S - mmm quad, figs, plum
T - rich grain and toast, full and warming. Lots of plum and a bit of cherry.
F - thick but not suffocating, great to sip on and savor
O - this is a fantastic beer, great to dive into and sip on one (or two) for a long while

3.98/5  rDev -8.1%

Looks to be brown when pouring, but is a really nice ruby red color in the glass, with a small tan head that quickly dissipates into some lacing. Really nice looking beer.

Very fruity on the nose. Dark fruits like raisin and plum are dominate.

Like the smell, plenty of fruit up front. Plum, raisin, and cherry are present. I can detect just a bit of Belgian candy sugar, and there is pepper spice and a lingering hop flavor at the back end. Finishes dry with some alcohol warming.

Feel is just ok, little rough going down due to high carbonation.

Overall, one of the best US quads I have tried I still believe quads made in Belgium have no equal here, but a few US breweries make nice ones. This one is very nice, and close to true Belgian quality. Very much worth trying.

4.52/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I was very impressed with this beer. Price is reasonable too at $9.99 from Binny's for a 25.4 oz bottle. 2013 version.

Long rich head, deep caramelized malt that reminded me of a truly good Belgium quad. Well made all around and plan to buy several more to age. EtOH was not too noticeable. Beer overall had a rounded aged quality.

4.31/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Thanks to Acme for sharing this fine beverage.

Served in a tulip glass, there was a substantial head of whipped meringue foam on top, and a high clarity tone of auburn gold in the body.

Aroma was pleasantly intense, fresh baked banana bread esters were huge. Also present were notes of lightly sweet dried dark fruits and nutty toffee.

Rich and malty taste, some clove and fresh bread, almond and dates, light pepper. Dense and chewy, it's full bodied though fairly easy to drink and not overly sweet. This is a very nice Quad from a new brewery, very much worth a try, and i'll definitely be buying it when I see it.

4.69/5  rDev +8.3%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.75

Poured from 750 mL bottle into Founders globe. I am not a beer label guy but I dig the simplicity of this one. They let the beer speak for itself.

Pours with a nice frothy large white/light tan head - 3 fingers worth easily. Takes a few minutes to settle and leaves a nice lacing on the glass. Color is a very appetizing dark amber. A very nice looking quad.

I can smell this almost immediately as I walk back to my family room and it isnt even near my nose. Crisp dark fruits and yeast.

First sip I get a lot of dark fruit (plum, raisin, cherry(?)) along with some tasty yeast throughout. Finishes very well and flavorful. Very juicy tasting, for lack of a better word. Initially I get a ton of carbonation, and I was tempted to recommend they tone it down a bit, however, halfway through the first glass it mellows out into a very nice level, just a bit of sting on the tail end.

Body is full, and carbonation as I mentioned above - seemingly high initially but mellows into a great feel on the tongue.

Overall I have to say "Well done bastards!" to these bastards at Une Annee. I am undecided if this quite stacks up to the Belgian big boys, but I have to say it gives them a run for their money. If I was blind I might not know the difference. If there is a better American quad that I have tried, I honestly can't think of one. I highly recommend giving this one a shot, and at ~$10/750 mL you dont have much to lose.

Quad from Une Année
- out of 100 based on 5 ratings.