Barrel Aged American Presidential Stout - Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co

No picture uploaded.

Arizona Wilderness Brewing Co visit their website
Arizona, United States

American Double / Imperial Stout |  11.50% ABV

This is the version sold in growlers and on tap at the pub. It is a blend of Pappy Van Winkle, Buffalo Trace and rye whiskey barrels.

(Beer added by: Huhzubendah on 06-02-2014)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by jzeilinger:

3.75/5  rDev -15%

4.48/5  rDev +1.6%

Grenade growler shared by Kevin - thanks.

A: Pours black with reddish highlights with a thin (1/4-inch) tan head which settles to the rim and leaves a few spots of lace.

N: Roasty, dark cocoa powder, grainy, smokey, ash, oak.

T: Follows nose with some layered coffee, pepper and vanilla notes.

M: Full body and light carbonation. Thick, milky, oily, smooth and rich finish.

O: Well done. The 3 bourbons meld well together with none dominating and each contributing to an overall lovely mix.

4.45/5  rDev +0.9%

I was lucky enough to enjoy a glass of this, this morning as I waited a couple of hours for the special release of growlers.

A- A deep rich black dark with a little cream look to the head, even in the light very little light refraction

S- A nice hearty malt with some light floral notes and to me what smelled like coffee, almost no alcohol detected by my nose but the whole place smelled of delicious hops so it was hard to tell.

T- After my first sip I was a little disappointed as I am a huge booze fan especially the buffalo trace. However it was a very enjoyable dark malty stout with a silky smooth taste with no bite. I got a light coffee after taste and well this has to be one of the most drinkable stouts I've had. (the chocolate milkshake stout would compare as a recent example) As the beer warmed I received more of the caramel and booze that I was expecting and it left a great taste in my mouth for hours afterwards.

M- Felt smooth and laced my tongue with basically perfect consistency. Loved how it could be swirled in the mouth and the remnants that stayed with me.

O- Definitely another great offering from AZW, I still prefer the BWBW (Buffalo Trace) however after that, it's a very close race between this and the Dos Cabezas (With me being a hop head, that surprizes me). You can still get some on tap for the next couple of days at least, so go enjoy and come rate so I can see where I sit compared to everyone else.

3.75/5  rDev -15%

4.43/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Growler sent to me by my awesome brother-in-law, who went to the release and hooked me up with two growlers of this coveted beer with next to no notice.

The beer appears dark brown with a thin, oily tan head that leaves a sheet of lacing cascading down the walls of the snifter. Aromas include oak, roast, chocolate, vanilla, a touch of coffee, and a prominent rye whiskey presence. The rye whiskey barrel character seems to dominate the Pappy Van Winkle and Buffalo Trace components just a bit. The beer is remarkably smooth and light on the palate. Light warming heat with a mild tannic note in the finish. Lingering rye bread and whiskey on the palate. Overall, this is really solid and I find it a bit of a departure from the typical barrel-aged stout.

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »