Double Gnarly Imperial Black IPA - Sockeye Grill & Brewery

American Black Ale |  9.20% ABV

Beer added by: JohnGalt1 on 01-24-2010

Reviews by GeezLynn:
3.98/5  rDev n/a

Was sent this attractively labeled local in a trade with JohnGalt1 . Unexpected, but very much appreciated!

A: Pours out a very dark brown with a great tan head that settles into persistent frothy clumps. Enticing.

S: Given the "Black IPA" designation, I'm not getting a ton of hops, but this has been sitting in my refrigerator for almost a month, in addition to however long it was cooling its heels in Idaho. As it opens up, I get some pine and a little pink grapefruit. Not sure what hops they used but would guess they include Simcoe and several of the C's. Reminds me of Maharaja. The dark malts balance nicely with the hops.

T: Whoa daddy! Lots of bitter roastyness. This beer smells like it's going to be a little sweet, but the flavor proves to be more of a big pine/white grapefruit hit. The body leans heavily toward burnt flavors with plenty of roasted malts which combine with the bonanza of hops for a tongue abusing big flavor. Nothing understated about this one. Finish is long, dry and just a bit too bitter for my liking.

M: Feel is great. Light and finely carbonated for a smooth, slick feel. Just what I prefer from the style. No Abv. listed but I'd guess ~ 9%.

Overall, this was a nice beer to kick back with and enjoy slowly. Definitely the most roasted Black IPA I've experienced and well-worthy of the American Strong Ale designation.

The aptly named Double Gnarly was my first, but hopefully not my last Sockeye brew. Thanks for the rare opportunity as well as a generous trade Toby! (1,514 characters)

3.9/5  rDev n/a

I heard Sockeye bottled another beer ... Woo Hoo!! The wife was kind enough to pick a 12oz for me... poured into my Delirium goblet.

3/4" Lite tan head... the brew is very clear dark brown on the pour, but a glass full is pretty much black... Good spotty lacing for the entire glass.

Big and oily piney/citrus pith hops practically jump out of the glass... lite caramel is just enough to be discernible but a nice roastiness is certainly present.

Wow... This has some bitterness to it.. resinous and oily.. very pithy hoppiness from front to back and lingering on the finish.. combining with the hops is a bit of bitter roastiness and some coffee elements.. this is a bit acrid for my tastes, but I can see how many would fall in love with this bitter beast.

Nice body with smooth everpresent carbonation..
Drinkability is a tad low for me just because it is sooo damn bitter.. but it is very complex and really should probably be appreciated as a sipper.

I need to get some more bottles while I can... I bet a few trading buddies would appreciate some more Sockeye goodness.

4/4/4/4/3.5 (1,107 characters)

3.58/5  rDev n/a

12 oz bottle generously gifted by SuperBrewer Shawn Kelso, consumed as part of birthday tasting, shared with beer buddy poured into tumbers 6.25.2010.

Dark brown, almost black opaque body, 1/2 finger off white head, no visible carbonation. Nose is malty, not overly roasted, more sweetish that roast, with not a lot of hop presence. The taste mirrors the nose, though there is some resiny bitterness on the back end. Decent effervescence on medium body mouthfeel. I did notice the ABV so not sure I'd try and do multiple bottles. To be honest not hoppy enough for the style. (575 characters)

Double Gnarly Imperial Black IPA from Sockeye Grill & Brewery
- out of 100 based on 3 ratings.