Pumpkin Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Missouri, United States

Pumpkin Ale |  5.60% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: maxpower on 10-10-2003

Like pumpkin pie in a bottle...we add 136 pounds of real pumpkin to the three-barley mash and then season the finished beer with cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves.

2.85/5  rDev -21.5%

pours out Ice tea amber. Very clear and lots of bubbles but no head to speak of.
Smell is a sour mixture of sugars caramel and spice.
I get a bubblegum flavor in the background. Sweet but not spicey at all. Caramel and some strange spice I can't put my finger on.
Mouthfeel is subtle and not a lot going on otherwise.
Not a bad beer, just a 'could be better' beer.

3.78/5  rDev +4.1%

First pumpkin ale i've tried...

Pours a semi-transparent copper color, hazes through when last swirl of yeast is added. Suspended yeast floats lazily. Fluffy head, sticks around for a little bit. Spotty yeast collects and dots the bottom of the glass. Smell is mild, straining to pick out the faint clove/nutmeg spice.

Taste is malty and carbonated, with an accent of spice. Bottle lists cinnamon, clove, and nutmeg, which don't all resonate distinctly. Not to pick it apart, the spice element is reserved, and it lends itself greatly to the mouthfeel and drinkability. Carbonation is average, this one is easily sessionable. I've had three today already, and could have another. Good autumn seasonal...

3.77/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a slightly hazy medium orange color with virtually no head. Good carbonation. Nose is terrific ... cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and pumpkin ... slightly doughy, like a good pie. Palate is consistent with the nose ... nice spiciness and malt sweetness. Have a slight "bite" that I like ... ginger-like. This one is well balanced. Mouthfeel is maybe slightly thin, but good over all. Residual spiciness lingers on the tongue. Slightly sweet finish. This is a very drinkable pumpkin ale. One of the better ones I've had. Another very good offering from O'Fallon ... I just wish they had better labels ... the jack-o-lantern, like the Wheach label, just looks a little silly. Bad labels, good beer.

3.83/5  rDev +5.5%

Bright pumpkin with butterscotch trim. Several busy streams of bubbles ascend to a three finger cap the color of rich, buttery pie crust. A slurred collar of lace is beginning to form and it looks like even more lace is on the way. The fact that very little ends up on the glass can't change the fact that, initially at least, this is a good looking pumpkin beer.

The only negative where the nose is concerned is a lack of immediacy. There's a good mix of roasted gourd and pie spices (cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves have been added) and I get the impression that I'd like it even more if there was more available to enjoy.

Thankfully, the flavor doesn't suffer the same fate. Each mouthful brings a burst of liquid pumpkin pie that doesn't cover up the flavor of the base beer. I'd prefer even more pumpkin and spice, but then most drinkers will probably be satisfied with the proportions chosen by the brewery. Actually, if one wishes to drink more than a few at one sitting, the current beer is probably optimal.

Underneath all the pumpkininess is a solid amber ale with a lovely toasted malt character that is offset by a firm, hoppy bitterness. Too many other flavors are swirling about for me to make any sort of guess as to hop varieties, but I'd say that they're probably of German origin.

While there's nothing particularly wrong with the mouthfeel, it's a fraction too light for me and doesn't have even a hint of creaminess. A perfect amount of fine-bubbled carbonation and a lack of any real negatives keeps it comfortably above average.

O'Fallon Pumpkin Ale is a very nice all-rounder in a style that often suffers from too much or too little. I'll have to check my reviews, but I don't believe that I've had a better pumpkin ale from a Midwestern brewer. Bottom line: this one is easily good enough to warrant a sixer every autumn.

4.19/5  rDev +15.4%

How is this beer not ranked higher. Rambling of a crazy man I suppose. The pour of this pumpkin delight was a mostly clear orange coppery color. A good head but does hide to the edge of the glass and not much on lacing at all.

The smell is noticeably spicy with a sweet backing. The spice are blended well even for a pumpkin beer. Some cinnamon, cloves and what I can best describe as butternut squash. Some sweeter caramel and touches of Munich leaves an almost candy finish.

The taste really follows the smell. The malt is more noticeable then the nose indicated, but if anything blended better with the strong baking aisle spice mix. The nutmeg and cloves are more prominent as the cinnamon backs off a bit. The butternut squash really is a good descriptor with the stronger caramel finish.

The body is good and a bit low off the carbonation. Overall I really that this was a great seasonal beer. A unique flavor with more of a pumpkin appeal then a more traditional pumpkin ales.

This beer pours a clear copper color with a small white head. Aroma is slightly sweet. The pumpkin pie aroma is present, though subdued. Flavor slightly sweet and clean like a lager with a hint of pumpkin spice. Not really special, but better than a number of pumpkin beers I've tried. Mouthfeel is smooth with a light carbonation. Definitely drinkable, but somewhat forgettable as well.

2.77/5  rDev -23.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.5

Bottle obtained from Breeze-Thru Liquor in Milwaukee.

Appeareance was an orange-ish, hazy beer with a light-colored head with decent staying power. There was a large amount of sediment in the bottle.

Odor was not very appealing. It was a taste of spices (the usual suspects when talking about pumpkin pie or pumpkin beer) layered atop something vaguely unpleasant.

Taste was spice atop a sour taste. Actually, pretty pleasant. I enjoyed the sour-spice relationship more, the more I drank, although I didn't especially want another one. A large amount of sediment was also left in the bottom of my glass.

4.22/5  rDev +16.3%

This beer was served in a pub glass. The beer was purchased at the Party Source Newport.

Appearance: The beer was a clear orange coloration with active carbonation. The head was one finger high and had a biege coloration. The head had no retention.

Smell: The beer has the pumpkin pie spice smell about right. The beer is loaded with cinnamon, cloves, all spice and nutmeg. This is well balanced with a faint musty pumpkin smell

Taste: This beer is a good amalgamation of pumpkin pie and beer. The beer has a very satisfying delivery of the spices above. I can make out a bit of pumpkin in the back taste. The beer has sweet maltyness that is well balanced out with spice.

Mouthfeel/ Drinkability: The beer seems to have a vaguely buttery/ oily mouthfeel. This adds to the enjoyment of drinking the beer as it makes the flavors last longer. This is a dam fine pumpkin ale and I could see kicking back several of these in an evening.

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

Received this 12oz bottle from Vancer in BIF46. Pale orange/tan color with a slight chill haze, barely any head, and weak carbonation. Weak aroma with only a hint of cinnamon and nutmeg spiciness. The taste is lightly sweet, with mild pumpkin spice followed by the tiniest bitter finish. Nothing too exciting here. The mouthfeel ran a bit thin, with just enough carbonation to make it drinkable. Overall this pumpkin ale didn't have much to offer. It's very light, and the classic pumpkin and spice flavors are too weak. It might be worth a try as a festive fall beer, bu any other time of year I think I would pass...

3.44/5  rDev -5.2%

A: Pumpkin orange with a smaller head of white foam. No lace. Medium low level of carbonation.

S: Says it's brewed with pumpkin, cloves, cinnamon and nutmeg. I believe it.

T: Lots going on, almost too much. Pumpkin mash and malts, mixed with a plethora of spices and herbs. Some residual sugars made it through unscathed.

M: Dense. Has a syrupy quality to it, but doesn't get stuck in my throat.

D: Not bad. Too much spice and and not enough pumpkin. Still, it's better than alot i've had this season.

Notes: Decent, but too "busy" on the palate.

2.73/5  rDev -24.8%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a warm orangish-brown body with a faint hazy hint. The bubbly cream colored head that fades quickly. There is a big carbonation of tiny bubbles that race through the body.

S- The light smell of brown malt has a slight yeast and cooked squash hint but it is pretty faint.

T- The light brown malt has a faint cardboard note with hints of dry spice . The hint of nutmeg was muted with a hint of other pumpkin spices but they are very soft. The finish is a dry spice note also.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel.

D- This beer doesn't have any overpowering pumpkin spice flavors infact it has very faint spice flavors. The flavor is pretty boring and bland with not much malt flavor or other characters.

2.11/5  rDev -41.9%

This pours a clear, orange/brown color with a small off-white, foamy head.

Smells like nutmeg.

Tastes like nutmeg. It seems like this is a cheap way to spice a beer to almost taste like pumpkin. Usually when I drink pumpkin beers I'm pleased when they really taste like pumpkin or pumpkin bread. Or disappointed when they just taste like allspice. But this is the first time I've nailed it as just plain nutmeg (or bad powdered spice). This is a thin illusion easily shattered.

I don't know what goes into making pumpkin beer, but this tastes like it was flavored AFTER the brewing process with just some powdered spice.

This was a really bad, boring beer.

3.59/5  rDev -1.1%

Pours a dark amber with little if no head. Whatever head there was on the poor is gone seconds after the pour. I'm getting a strong sugary, pumpkin bread smell from this one. Taste is close to the smell. Really smooth tasting with slight carbonation. This is going down way too easily. This is the best pumpkin taste I've gotten from this style. I like the Weyerbacher, but that is a different taste altogether with the strong spice presence. I could drink many of these. The only thing missing is some whipped cream.
One of my top two of this style. If you like pumpkin beers, then this is a must try.

2.95/5  rDev -18.7%

Only my second pumpkin ale of the season, and the first I have ever had this particular offering. Color is a hazy amber with a none too impressive head. Smell is mildly spiced. Nothing really in your face. Taste also, fails to really impress. Not enough of a spice impact. I'm not asking for something huge, just something palateable. Mouthfeel is the real downfall for me with this beer. Too "watery" or thin. Drinkablity is fine if the mouthfeel is not an issue, but it is with me. I have a second in the fridge that I plan on passing on to an unlucky visitor.

4.05/5  rDev +11.6%

Dull, faded orange. Thin off white head. Lace is minimal. Nice aroma of sweet pumpkin pulp. Not a lot of spicing going on the nose, but that's alright. Too many overspiced pumpkin ales on the market. The spicing comes through a little more on the palate. Cinamon and ginger lightly compliment the nice round pumpkin flavor. This is one of the better pumpkin beers I've had. Malts add some sweetness without cloying it up. Full body and flavorful. Nice beer.

4.13/5  rDev +13.8%

Sent to me from czoch75, thanks!! Pours a hazy orange color. Smells of spices like cinnamon and cloves. Tastes like liquid pumpkin pie, good liquid pumpkin pie, really nicely balanced. Finishes good. Overall I am impressed since I'm not a big fan of beer with spices since I kinda expect too much sweetness and spices, but this is damn good. I can't make any other comparisons to the style but I may now have to try a few others just to see which is best.

3.63/5  rDev 0%

As a rule of thumb I generally stay away from the pumpkin beer, but a friend brought it over so I had it a try. Poured a hazy burnt orange amber, with a tiny bit of carbonation. Smells sweet, some cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg as it says on the bottle and maybe a little pumpkin funk. Taste is about the same, accept with some minor hops presence. This is one of the better pumpkin beers I've had. Because of it's ABV and subtle flavor this would be a decent sessioning beer. Over all not bad, or pretty good if you like pumpkin beer. Honestly if pumpkin beer was my thing I'd search out better alternatives.

3.88/5  rDev +6.9%

Appearance: Pretty good for a pumpkin beer, hazy dark orange color. Head is white and full, slow fade.

Smell: The spices are up front. Cloves, nutmeg, and cinnamon, just like the label says. Pumpkin provides for a little vegetable and smoothness.

Taste: Much like the other pumpkin ales I have tried. The spices complement, but are not overriding. Hops join at the end, melding interestingly with the pumpkin smoothness.

Drinkability: Above average vs. the style. A sessionable beer, the flavors never grate, but are quite pleasing.

3.92/5  rDev +8%

Pretty good beer. Not typically a fan of fruit or vegetable beers, this one is pretty simple and pleasant. It seems that the brewers begin with a lightly hopped but good quality pale ale, and then added the pumpkin additions, cloves, cinnamon, and other spices. The beer never feels weighted, but not under malted either. A nice fluffy head retention and soft copper hue verifies a quality base brew. Lightly estery and mildly hoppy with a slight grain bite. Finishes quite clean with a mild alcohol, pumpkin, and spicy note. Not my every day beer, but nice for the season.

3.05/5  rDev -16%

from the bottle. poured a dark honey with no head. aroma, those nice pumkin pie spies of cinnamon, nutmeg, and gloves with a side of brown sugar, some hops. where is the whip cream? flavor not as robust as I was hoping for had a hard time pulling the flavors out , did get a little of the pumpkin and just hint of the spices. onther than that it was a easy drinking beer.

4.49/5  rDev +23.7%

Wow, this beer is pretty damn good. Having only had the Blue Moon pumpkin ale before this one, I was not expecting too much. This beer really does taste like pumpkin pie. It smells wonderfully pumpkiny too. I will be looking forward to this beer next fall. Until then I will enjoy it while I can.

3.95/5  rDev +8.8%

Solid pumpkin pour. Bright orange--like, erm, a pumpkin-- and a respectable light head.

Smells of very nice, smooth pumpkin pie spices. Big nutmeg and cloves. Not so much on the pumpkin-as-a-fruit front, though, but the spices are balanced nicely by a tart malt in the back.

Taste is a pretty clear translation of the smell, minus the tartness in the back. It starts out with big nutmeg and cloves which mellow out in the creamy middle and end on a distinct cinnamon node. Very nice and pie-ish.

I'm a bigger fan of pumpkin beer than most, so I that while say that O'Fallon's pumpkin ale isn't a perfect example of the style, it's still worth a buy.

3.64/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

A mix between a clear pumpkin skin lager hue and a slightly hazy and just as slightly carbonated apricot ale color. The aroma is of a particularly spicey pumpkin in all its autumn glory. The taste makes me think of Hallowen. In all its herbal, earthy, and spicey mischief. Pllenty of light malts but they are overtaken by the pumpkin fruityness. The palate is a light spicey, more like from a Halloween scented candle than a beer at times.

4.12/5  rDev +13.5%

The beer poured with a light white lacey head that dissipated quickly.
It was amber (golden brown) with a slight orange hue in the glass.

Aroma was very nice, clove and nutmeg. Not overwhelming, just overtones of spice.

Then on taste, this was pumpkin pie in a glass. Not just spice but also pleasing sweetness of fruit. Body was very drinkable. No harsh edges in either carbonation or spicing. And spicing was moderate and not overwhelming.

I could drink more than one of these, and I can't say that for many seasonal/spiced pumpkin beers.

Bought at Sam's Marcey St. on 9/5/06, but they still have a supply as of this Tuesday. I will be using the box as a jack o lantern.

8.99 for a 6 pack (in a box) of 12 oz bottles.
(Note: picture is not current -- new label has pumpkin in center)

4.15/5  rDev +14.3%

Pours an appropriate orangey-amber with a small white head.

The nose and the taste reminds me more of sweet potatoe pie than pumpkin, which is good because that's what I prefer.
I detect more pumkin notes (as opposed to the spices) than most pumpkin beers. There spices are notable too, but nicely balanced with no harsh edges.

There is a hefeweizen quality about it, partly from the mouthfeel. It has a very full hearty weight to it that I really like.

4thoseabout2bock and I did a blind tasting of O'fallon, Dogfish Punk, and New Holland Icabod. I had tried all 3 within the past week and was able to identify each one blind. We both preferred O'fallon and found Dogfish Punk notably inferior to the others (despite being a fan of Punkin' in past years).

Pumpkin Beer from O'Fallon Brewery