Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

to view more.
Ratings: 277 | Reviews: 182
2.5/5  rDev -20.4%

I'm not a huge fan of cherry. I originally got this for my wife to try because I figured it would be one beer that she would be willing to try and she might actually like, but she said she didn't even want to try it.

The look, smell, and feel aren't bad at all. The smell is literally of a cherry Tootsie Pop. I thought going into it that I wouldn't like it because I don't really like cherry flavored stuff all that much. While the first couple of sips were pretty decent as time went on, it just got worse. If you love cherry, chocolate, and beer, you will love this. Like I said cherry just isn't my thing.

2.01/5  rDev -36%

A- Pours a slightly redish brown. I guess that's the color you'd get from chocolate and cherries together, but I have to admit I was expecting something a lot blacker. When was the last time you had a beer with the "chocolate" in the name that wasn't black or at least close to it. Head is not much-just a splash of light foam, and pretty white at that.

S- Hmm. Not a good hmm. Like a "what the heck is that?" And as I sniff further it comes to me- maraschino cherries- masked in a veil of fake smelling chocolate. It's like you took the liquid from the bright red dye #5 cherries and added to it some mildly alcoholic chocolate syrup from the coffee bar. And glossing over it all is a distinct note of coconut oil. So I get the cherry chocolate thing, but it's not a good combo here.

T- More of the maraschino thing. There's kind of a chocolate covered maraschino cherry, but one that went kinda bad.

M- Doesn't leave much on the tongue which is nice. I wouldn't want to taste this beer for longer than it was in my mouth anyway.

O-Kinda gross. It has the foundation of a good flavor profile, but way too artificial and unbalanced and not enough malt flavor. Not recommended.

2.06/5  rDev -34.4%

Smells and tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry. It's like a melted tootsie roll mixed with maraschino cherry syrup in an overly-carbonated, non-descript beer.

3.59/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Nice chocolate taste with a hint of cherry

3.84/5  rDev +22.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 12 oz. bottle. Has a brown color with amber hues and a 1/2 inch head. Smell is strong of chocolate covered cherry. Taste is milder than the smell. Sweet cherries, chocolate, malts. Feels light in the medium-light in the mouth and overall an unusual and different beer worth trying.

2.71/5  rDev -13.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 2.75

Amber in color with a fingernail of off white heads is barely present. Overly sweet chocolate aroma with maraschino cherry hints. Massive chocolate flavor with maraschino cherry in the background. Flavor cloys heavily. The body is overly carbonated and very sweet.

3.75/5  rDev +19.4%

Poured on 12/6 into a frozen imperial pint glass. Pours a wonderfully rich dark amber color with very low, caramel colored head. The aroma is a delectable combination of chocolate covered cherries with hints of coffee and a little oak. The neer drinks really nice, not nearly as overwelming as I thought it would be. The malt shine at first before the cherry hits your pallet. The chocolate and coffee flavors combine with a sweetness to provide a wonderful finish.

4.5/5  rDev +43.3%

Sampled last night on 11/29/14 but had this once before a few years back. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Pours a very dark mahogany in color with some ruby highlights with a small white head. LOTS of lacing is seen after each sip which is very surprising. The aroma is fantastic, like a fresh chocolate covered cherry. The taste was WOW! Actually like a Cherry Toostie Roll Pop that is close to the end. Very surprised how good this one was. Very smooth and goes down easy. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. A tasty winter seasonal brew.

4.58/5  rDev +45.9%

This has been one of my favorite beers so far. I have never had a beer like this before and when I had this one I really liked it a lot. I think the Cherry flavor with the Chocolate flavor is a great taste. This was this first beer that I have had like this and I liked it a lot. I just wish that I could find it where I live is all. If I could find it where I live I know that I would be buying this beer. If you never have had this before you need to try it if you can find it.

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 11/18/2013. Pours slightly hazy ruby brown color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of milk chocolate, cocoa, cherry, cherry skin, fudge, caramel, wheat, brown bread, herbal, and toasted earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance of chocolate fudge and cherry notes with moderate malt presence; and good strength. Smells like a tootsie roll. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, fudge, cherry, cherry skin, caramel, brown bread, wheat, herbal, floral, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, cherry, brown bread, wheat, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Okay flavor balance with moderate chocolate and cherry flavors and prominent wheat/bread malt; with decent robustness and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is okay. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an okay flavored wheat beer. Aromas were quite nice, but flavors did not have much robustness of the chocolate/cherry notes. Kind of an odd beer at first, but I had no problem finishing it.

3.94/5  rDev +25.5%

This beer is a fairly thick-looking medium to dark brown, showing the viscosity of a strong porter or stout. The head is creamy from the tap, a tan cap about half a finger tall that creates nice, creamy lacing with strength.
There are a few beers of this type out there, and most go the way of cherry cordial if they get it right. This one goes a different route. It smells like chocolate-covered cherries, but with smooth, bittersweet dark chocolate over heartier cherries that offer more tartness and just a little sweetness. There is a creamy sort of sweetness that rides underneath, though.
This is an absolutely solid beer with a sturdy malts base, far from one-dimensional while keeping the focus where it belongs. There is a roasty note all the way through with a taste strong dark barley grains underneath. Otherwise, both the dark chocolate and the tart cherry carry through, and both are strong on the tongue.
The feel is interesting. It's a bit crisp, and smoothness eases off at the end of each sip, so it could be cleaner. The body's a strong medium but something falls off, barely perceptible, also right at the end of each sip.

2.82/5  rDev -10.2%

Appearance:
Decent color. Head is ok.

Smell:
This is probably the best part of the beer. Smells like freshly picked cherries and chocolate.

Taste:
The cherry is overpowering. Wish I tasted more chocolate and beer. Was better near the end though.

Mouthfeel:
A bit more carbonated, but kind of goes with the theme of the drink.

Overall:
This is definitely beer for the cherry lovers. Felt like an adult version of a cherry pop, so if that appeals to you, I definitely recommend this beer.

Other than the overpowering cherry flavor, everything else about this beer was decent to great! The smell was amazing, and the look and taste were about what I expected.

Would I drink this again? Probably not, but I could see myself giving this to a cherry loving friend.

4.4/5  rDev +40.1%

I noticed this at Kroger where you can combined single bottles of different flavors and this one stood-out to me because of its unique look and uncommon cherry chocolate taste. I remember it being very tasteful and something I would definitely buy in a 6 pack. I'm usually a fan of lighter beers, with exception to Guinness, so I am curious of the calories in relation to comparable matches; that might be the only thing swaying my decision in the future.

12 Ounce brown bottle poured into a pint glass

Appearance: Dark amber in color with little head

Smell: Very fruity with not much more.

Taste: Initially there is a chocolate taste, but it almost has an old chocolate taste. Then it is followed up with the cherry taste which is pretty good but the chocolate taste still remains.

Note: It almost has a chocolate covered cherry flavor but it misses the mark because the chocolate part doesn't quite taste right. It is alright but definitely not what I would look for when getting a beer.

4.04/5  rDev +28.7%

Pours a clear amber color with a very minimal head.

The smell... strong sweet cherries and yes, sweet chocolate! A little of the malt smell comes through as well.

The taste follows the nose.... like a cordial cherry. Not as sweet as the nose hints at, very smooth on the palate....The finish is all chocolate and malt.

I enjoyed this beer... it is a different treat that delivers what the label states. I always like to get some of this beer when available just because it is an easy drinking and unique beer in my opinion. Some will hate it.. others love it.

Keep drinking great beer ... cheers!

3.63/5  rDev +15.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Two year old bottle. Hope it holds up.

Pours a brilliant deep amber with ruby highlights and a foamy quarter inch khaki head that dissipates fairly quickly, leaving no lacing.

As soon as the bottle was open, floods of crappy chocolate and fake cherries burst forth. Took me a minute to recognize the aroma. Queen Anne chocolate covered cherries. The cheap kind...that you buy at the dollar store. Booze and deeper tart cherry subtleties emerge when quaffed. Smells sickeningly sweet.

Flavor reveals sharper cherry, almost sherry-like flavoring notes along with a bit of plastic, accompanied by chocolatey malted milk balls, finishing with a touch of dry roast malt. Fairly malty, and not nearly as sweet as the aroma.

Body is a touch watery, with carbonation on the low side, and light alcohol warmth.

Really wish the flavor matched the aroma more closely, sweet ala southern tier backwater series. I have to admit it's a guilty pleasure beer for me. But I actually add sweetener to it. Don't hate! Rating is based on personal opinion...minus the sweetener.

3.59/5  rDev +14.3%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with light-colored head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Aroma smells just like a chocolate-covered cherry.

Taste: It also tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry. This is a sweet-tasting beer, if that’s your thing you’ll find it quite tasty. If it’s not your thing, you might not like it.

Mouthfeel: Light body, heavy on the carbonation, not incredibly smooth but still drinkable.

Overall: This is only the second beer from O’Fallon’s that I’ve come across (the first I ever tried was “Wheach,” their peach wheat beer) and I continue to keep a look out for their brews. I found the Cherry Chocolate quite tasty and great to sip on during the cold winter months. I don’t think it’s for everyone as it’s very sweet. But if you like the taste of cherries and chocolate you’ll probably find it very agreeable.

1.8/5  rDev -42.7%

Reviewed from notes.

Amber with a three finger fizzy cream colored head that lasts for two minutes and has some streaky lacing. Watery thin body and fizzy distracting carbonation levels.

It's been said before and I have to agree with the consensus: It smells and tastes like an artificially-flavored cherry tootsie roll candy. It's rather terrible overall and I couldn't recommend trying it. The presence of artificial flavoring is seldom as obvious as it is within this particular beer. I'm not even quite sure if it counts as beer. Stay away from this one.

2.23/5  rDev -29%

A- Tiny head that dissipated quickly, no real lacing. Poured a dark amber that could be seen through.
S- a mix of Bailey's or Kahlua mixed with a Tootsie roll. A lot like a red Tootsie Roll pop, actually.
T- Tastes just like it smells. Tastes like your drinking an alcoholic, red Tootsie Roll Pop. Finishes like a thin Bailey's.
MF- Pretty standard, but a little thicker than I was expecting.

Overall, I'm not a very big fan of this beer, nor will I seek it out again. The first taste was very off-putting, but it got a little better within the first few sips. However, by the end of it I was ready to be through. I would try another cherry chocolate beer, but the flavors in this one were just too artificial and candy-like for me.

3.44/5  rDev +9.6%

A: No head, no real lace, more dark brown but see through. No bubbles.
S: As advertised. Wow. Never smelled anything like this in a beer. It smells like a broken open cherry cordial. Cherry syrup and chocolate. Hits it 100%. Hope this tastes as faithful.
M: No bitter, not very sweet. Watery on the wine side.
T: Not as sweet as a cherry cordial but still on the sweet side with chocolate malt coming at the back. It has more of a brown beer profile with a cherry bitter finish. A little bubble gum as well.

O: Tasty, but odd. It lives up to it's name, but I don't know if I'd get it again.

2.48/5  rDev -21%

A - dirty, medium brown with some sediment clouding; very thin off-white head that faded very quickly; not much lacing

S - over-ripe red marischino cherries, cocoa powder -> kinda like an old, worn out car freshener type aroma

T - first thing is a watery base with mild cherry flavors; lots of cocoa powder toward the middle and finish

M - thin body; light-moderate carbonation; mild aftertaste of cocoa powder

O - not super appealing in any one area. also not a drainpour. i was not a huge fan of the chocolate. it was mild and powdery, but there was a good deal of it! would recommend only to huge chocolate fans and tickers.

2.23/5  rDev -29%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Medium transparent brown with a thin head that is gone in a flash.
S: Smells like a cherry cordial candy, but in the same fake way. Waxy chocolate and syrupy maraschino cherries.
T: About like it smells. Cherry cordial with the chocolate and cherry both being somewhat fake.
M: Thin but smooth. Not bad but nothing special.
O: I can't say I'm a fan of this. It's okay for what it is, but so many beers have a more authentic chocolate flavor, and the cherry is clearly artificial flavoring and doesn't mesh well. Took a few sips for the review and the rest went down the drain.

2.28/5  rDev -27.4%

Poured from brown 12oz bottle to pint glass. No freshness date or bottling date.

A - The beer pours a slightly hazy brown red color. The head is a light tan color. 1/2 finger head with virtually no retention or lacing. Quickly settles to a slight film.

S - The aroma is that of a chocolate and cherry extract flavor you'd expect from baking not from beer. Doesn't seem real.

T/M - Same as the nose. Rather underwhelming. The cherry and chocolate taste is there and its strong. Dominates the palate throughout. The beer is light bodied and very crisp. I don't it's balanced at all. Watery.

D - Not at all.

Overall, this seems like a gimic and it does not work.

Reviewed on: 03-14-2011 01:23:32

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

Appearance - Pours a dark brown color with a centimeter thick, off-white head that dissipates instantly.

Smell - Has a strong chocolate scent, more like dark chocolate. The cherry is present as well but almost has a cough medicine type smell to it.. The alcohol smells strong as well.

Taste - The chocolate flavoring tastes exactly like a tootsie roll.. along with a very sweet, cherry flavor. A little malty but the other flavors overpower anything else..

Mouthfeel - Light-medium body with light carbonation.

Overall - This was an interesting beer to try but I'm dumping the rest out after I finish this review. Maybe it would taste better if paired with something.

3.3/5  rDev +5.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

P- Thanks to Ray for this brew

A- a red and amber color that is clear. Minimal head and minimal carbonation.

S- smells is sweet milk chocolate. alcohol/grain is also present right behind the chocolate. Smells like a chocolate covered cherry.

T- it tastes like one as well and mixing that with alcohol isnt the greatest but it is interesting. Think of dropping a chocolate cover cherry into grain alcohol and letting it dissipate.

M- cherry chocolaty, not bad. light bodied and somewhat creamy.

O- after getting through the first couple gulps it isnt bad. it starts to feel like you are sucking on a chocolate cherry.

to view more.