Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Cherry Chocolate BeerCherry Chocolate Beer

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

(Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters
Reviews by Duxx:
Duxx

3.7/5  rDev +18.6%

Poured into a standard pint glass.

A: A cloudy medium brown dunkelwiess color with a bright white 1 finger head that dissipated quickly. I did not see any red or "cherry" color. Looks like a dark wheat beer as per the description on the package.

S: Exactly what the name says it will be...cherry chocolate. It smells just like the box of chocolate covered cherries that my mother in law buys every Christmas. Way fun for a beer but yet a little bizarre. But, hey, I like chocolate covered cherries and I can't help but just keep smelling this beer. My wife asked if I was going to drink it or just keep my nose in the glass.

T: If you like chocolate covered cherries and are in the mood for a beer that tastes like that then you will like this beer. If not, skip this because it is spot on for the name. There is just a hint of hops bit but it is subtle. There is also a tartness that somewhat offsets the extreme sweetness but I cannot tell if it is the hops or the wheat beer tang.

M: About like most wheat beers, a little thin for my liking but again OK for a wheat based beer. The carbonation is not too high like most wheat beers.

D: One of these is enough at a time. Definitely, a sweet desert kind of thing. I have friends who like amaretto mocha coffee after dinner but since I'm not a coffee drinker this could easily substitute for that in my book.

This beer created quit a buzz at the liquor store when I bought it. The gal behind me in the check out line wanted to know all about it. Her husband was buying a case of Bud Light. The check out girl said she has sold a lot if it this week but nobody has told her what it tasted like. BTW, I gave the woman behind me in line one of the bottles just because she was so curious about the beer. My Christmas present to a stranger! Can you pay it forward with a beer?

I think I'll buy another 6-er just to keep in the fridge for desert in the future. But hey I like to have sheet cake and that yellow fizzy beer together at wedding receptions. ;)

12-14-2009 03:46:59 | More by Duxx
jaredtp

Tennessee

3.71/5  rDev +18.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

This has been one of my favorite beers so far. I have never had a beer like this before and when I had this one I really liked it a lot. I think the Cherry flavor with the Chocolate flavor is a great taste. This was this first beer that I have had like this and I liked it a lot. I just wish that I could find it where I live is all. If I could find it where I live I know that I would be buying this beer. If you never have had this before you need to try it if you can find it.

06-03-2014 21:57:02 | More by jaredtp

4.5/5  rDev +44.2%

01-12-2014 04:15:40 | More by MonicaC
superspak

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 11/18/2013. Pours slightly hazy ruby brown color with a 1-2 finger dense light khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass, with a large amount of streaming carbonation retaining the head. Aromas of milk chocolate, cocoa, cherry, cherry skin, fudge, caramel, wheat, brown bread, herbal, and toasted earthiness. Nice aromas with good balance of chocolate fudge and cherry notes with moderate malt presence; and good strength. Smells like a tootsie roll. Taste of milk chocolate, cocoa, fudge, cherry, cherry skin, caramel, brown bread, wheat, herbal, floral, and yeast earthiness. Lingering notes of chocolate, cocoa, cherry, brown bread, wheat, herbal, and yeast earthiness on the finish for a short bit. Okay flavor balance with moderate chocolate and cherry flavors and prominent wheat/bread malt; with decent robustness and no cloying flavors after the finish. Medium-high carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a lightly creamy, smooth, and fairly crisp mouthfeel that is okay. Alcohol is very well hidden with only a slight warming present after the finish. Overall this is an okay flavored wheat beer. Aromas were quite nice, but flavors did not have much robustness of the chocolate/cherry notes. Kind of an odd beer at first, but I had no problem finishing it.

12-31-2013 00:10:39 | More by superspak
Brenden

3.94/5  rDev +26.3%

This beer is a fairly thick-looking medium to dark brown, showing the viscosity of a strong porter or stout. The head is creamy from the tap, a tan cap about half a finger tall that creates nice, creamy lacing with strength.
There are a few beers of this type out there, and most go the way of cherry cordial if they get it right. This one goes a different route. It smells like chocolate-covered cherries, but with smooth, bittersweet dark chocolate over heartier cherries that offer more tartness and just a little sweetness. There is a creamy sort of sweetness that rides underneath, though.
This is an absolutely solid beer with a sturdy malts base, far from one-dimensional while keeping the focus where it belongs. There is a roasty note all the way through with a taste strong dark barley grains underneath. Otherwise, both the dark chocolate and the tart cherry carry through, and both are strong on the tongue.
The feel is interesting. It's a bit crisp, and smoothness eases off at the end of each sip, so it could be cleaner. The body's a strong medium but something falls off, barely perceptible, also right at the end of each sip.

12-30-2013 20:14:55 | More by Brenden

3.5/5  rDev +12.2%

12-09-2013 04:52:17 | More by CoryK
Lucas1000

2.73/5  rDev -12.5%

Appearance:
Decent color. Head is ok.

Smell:
This is probably the best part of the beer. Smells like freshly picked cherries and chocolate.

Taste:
The cherry is overpowering. Wish I tasted more chocolate and beer. Was better near the end though.

Mouthfeel:
A bit more carbonated, but kind of goes with the theme of the drink.

Overall:
This is definitely beer for the cherry lovers. Felt like an adult version of a cherry pop, so if that appeals to you, I definitely recommend this beer.

Other than the overpowering cherry flavor, everything else about this beer was decent to great! The smell was amazing, and the look and taste were about what I expected.

Would I drink this again? Probably not, but I could see myself giving this to a cherry loving friend.

12-03-2013 00:31:06 | More by Lucas1000