1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Cherry Chocolate BeerCherry Chocolate Beer

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

(Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004)
Reviews by tastymug:
3.58/5  rDev +15.1%

Appearance: Pours a clear amber with light-colored head that dissipates quickly. No lacing.

Smell: Aroma smells just like a chocolate-covered cherry.

Taste: It also tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry. This is a sweet-tasting beer, if that’s your thing you’ll find it quite tasty. If it’s not your thing, you might not like it.

Mouthfeel: Light body, heavy on the carbonation, not incredibly smooth but still drinkable.

Overall: This is only the second beer from O’Fallon’s that I’ve come across (the first I ever tried was “Wheach,” their peach wheat beer) and I continue to keep a look out for their brews. I found the Cherry Chocolate quite tasty and great to sip on during the cold winter months. I don’t think it’s for everyone as it’s very sweet. But if you like the taste of cherries and chocolate you’ll probably find it very agreeable.

tastymug, Jan 21, 2013
3.38/5  rDev +8.7%

How many licks does it take till you get to the center of a tootsie pop?

Apparently none if you have an O’fallon’s Cherry Chocolate on hand. This beer smells and tastes exactly like a cherry tootsie pop that you’ve chomped on thus muddling the cherry candy and tootsie together. Now that I think about it, the color is exactly the same too. Very unique and interesting but not really my cup of tea. I like tartness and big fruit flavors in my cherry beers and this beer delivers neither. The cherry half of this brew is more candy than fruit. Still, this brewha is supremely easy to drink and it has a nice sourness at the end too. Not bad.

DaPeculierDane, Jan 21, 2006
3.45/5  rDev +10.9%

Murphy brown with a thin, dirty white head. Decent head retention. It's a shame it looks like muddy water.

Smells like a Russell Stover's chocolate covered
cherry. So, pretty good if you like that kind of thing.

Tastes like the center of a tootsie pop. 1...2...3... There are some caramel and rocky road flavors in there as it warms.

I thought this was pretty tasty. More of a Valentine's beer than a winter seasonal.

brownbeer, Nov 21, 2009

Hmm..Cherry Cholocate you say. This should be interesting. Pours from the bottle a dark cola color with hints of red and a thin bubbly white ring around the top. Almost looks like cherry coke in the glass. Aromas of..whoa...Tootsie Rolls!! Artificial candy chocolate with an underlying alcohol maraschino cherry aroma. The candy chocolate is nearly solvent like and stings my nose. A hint of caramel and roastiness barely break through. Really, really odd...I can't say it is appealing.

First sip brings the same artificial Tootsie Roll-esque chocolate flavor upfront along with an underlying cherry syrup flavor. Quite a malty brew with a touch of caramel. Sorta resembles drinking a chocolate covered cherry. A bit spritzy. The overall flavor of this brew just doesn't grab me...it just comes off a bit too off the wall.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with fast moving carbonation. Goes down smooth and is actually quite easy to drink. I'll be finishing this bottle but I don't intend to look for this one again. The flavors just don't work for me...you win some, you lose some!

orbitalr0x, Dec 21, 2005
3.03/5  rDev -2.6%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy amber with a medium creamy white head that retains well.

The aroma is sweet dark fudgy chocolate and cherries.

The flavor is sweet cherries and fudgy chocolate. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's basically chocolate covered cherries masquerading as beer. It's a bit on the sweet and decadent side for me to drink a lot of.

Beaver13, Feb 14, 2011

Brewery's website describes this as a dark wheat seasonal novelty produced only in January and February. This pours from a 12 oz bottle a hazy, odd colored, brown body that is close to bottled tea. Small offwhite head quickly falls into a film and no lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is mostly milk chocolate, with subdued notes of cherries. Mouthfeel is light bodied, with prickly high carbonation. The taste is sweetish essence of milk chocolate. No sensation of malts or hops here. The sweet cherry essence is sensed, but is subdued. This is not a bad beer, and I like chocolate and cherry flavors, but this is very one dimensional and the chocolate and cherry notes seem forced and out of place. I applaud small breweries like O'Fallon who like to experiment with new styles, and their Pumpkin Ale was very nice. This one was like drinking a pale ale infused with chocolate covered cherry essence, and it doesn't work for me. Very strange beer in taste, aroma, and appearance. Worth a try because it is unlike anything I've ever tasted, but I would really have to have a huge craving for chocolate cherry beer to want to have another.

merlin48, Feb 24, 2005
4.43/5  rDev +42.4%

Appearance: red/dark brown in color, with 1/2 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: chocolate and cherries--like a cherry cordial

Taste: some milk chocolate with roasted malt and cherries...like a liquid cherry cordial.

Mouthfeel: light body, medium/high carbonation, very sweet.

Drinkability: Not sure if I taste beer here, but it is a guilty pleasure none the less. I can see how others may dislike this. It is a liquid cherry cordial and is perfect for dessert. I love the taste and wish I picked more up. A really good drink.

tigg924, Aug 20, 2010
3.13/5  rDev +0.6%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This beer pours like I wish most of my beers did, a nice golden brown with a fairly thick white head, that left a foam ring that didn't do much for lacing.

S: The smell was a bit overwhelming, that's why I dropped it a bit. While the flavors are said to be natural, this surely smelled like it had chocolate and cherry extract put in, and in large quantities.

T: The taste wasn't actually as bad as the smell. Quite pleasant actually.

M: Fairly full, but not what I expected, a little on the watery side. The carbonation wasn't over the top either and it allowed the two dominating flavors to test your tongue for a second.

D: I just don't think that these two flavors for my beer are what I'd like on a regular basis.

Overall, interesting try... should be a desert beer in all honesty.

Cheers.

NicholasCasber, Feb 08, 2010

Appears a pale amber caramel hue with a bright off white head. Aroma smells of chocolate tootsie rolls and artificial cherry extract it actually smells gross. Flavor I can't finish this disgusting extract brew horrible chocolate flavor medicinal cherry blend this is pukerific, hands down the worst beer of 2009 and 2010. This deserves the worst most creatively bad reviews known to man. In my case I can't stomach another sip. I don't think there's a need to try other O'Fallon brews since I've tasted this. God awful I'm chewing on a twizzler to get rid of the flavor of this beer.

WVbeergeek, Feb 27, 2010
1.88/5  rDev -39.5%

Bought this because my daughter liked the label. Here we go...

A: opaque, reddish brown. (Want to say chocolate brown, but that might be the label talking to me.) Weak head, little retention or lacing.

S: like a chocolate-covered cherry, which in itself is nice, but it scares me to think about how it tastes. The really unpleasant part of the smell is the alcohol fumes that mix in with the candy smell.

T: not good. Actually tastes okay up front, dry with a bit of hop bitterness. But then the flavoring kicks in. I can't figure out what this beer needs to make the cherry notes work, but it's not there. Leaves sort of a waxy aftertaste, too.

M: the alcohol fumes I notice in the nose figure in an unpleasant, medicinal way here. For all the sweetness, my mouth feels the way it does after I use mouthwash.

I just don't have a lot of nice things to say about this beer. I'm trying to think of it in the context of the style, but regardless of whether or not the concept's flawed, the execution definitely is. Glad this is a single bottle from a mix-a-six.

rwathree, Nov 21, 2011

Adkins1203, Feb 27, 2013
1.75/5  rDev -43.7%

Schlafly33, Dec 09, 2013
3.94/5  rDev +26.7%

This beer is a fairly thick-looking medium to dark brown, showing the viscosity of a strong porter or stout. The head is creamy from the tap, a tan cap about half a finger tall that creates nice, creamy lacing with strength.
There are a few beers of this type out there, and most go the way of cherry cordial if they get it right. This one goes a different route. It smells like chocolate-covered cherries, but with smooth, bittersweet dark chocolate over heartier cherries that offer more tartness and just a little sweetness. There is a creamy sort of sweetness that rides underneath, though.
This is an absolutely solid beer with a sturdy malts base, far from one-dimensional while keeping the focus where it belongs. There is a roasty note all the way through with a taste strong dark barley grains underneath. Otherwise, both the dark chocolate and the tart cherry carry through, and both are strong on the tongue.
The feel is interesting. It's a bit crisp, and smoothness eases off at the end of each sip, so it could be cleaner. The body's a strong medium but something falls off, barely perceptible, also right at the end of each sip.

Brenden, Dec 30, 2013

Garrett82, Mar 14, 2012
3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

drinking12many, Sep 09, 2012
1.78/5  rDev -42.8%

A - This one comes in a nondescript bottle. I didn't even know that this was an O'Fallon brew when I picked it up. Some simple 1950's stylized cherries and "cherry chocolate" are the only things on the label. This one is a deep rhubarb pink with some good sized chunks of yeast floating around. The head is long lasting at about a finger, and consists of some nice thick strawberry flecked cream. Lots of nice thick lace sticks to the glass

S - Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop all up in yo' face. This smells like those chocolate covered cherry goopy candies that they sell at the counter in gas stations and supermarkets.

T - Aargh. Somehow the decent nose completely crashes on the palate. This reminds me of a cheap (Fanta?) chocolate flavored soda that I once had at my grandma's house. If I remember correctly, that soda, like this beer, tasted rather thin and fake for something chocolate flavored. Big rich dark chocolate works in a stout, but this is more of a flimsy pale ale with artificial flavors. The cherry just ends up tasting sour.

M - Super carbonated and thin, this is a lot like some sort of soda that I imagine was jerked at many a 1950's drug store lunch counter. The finish is neutral and clean with a sour twang of puckery cherry.

D - This isn't terrible, but is sure isn't good. This is more soda pop than beer. I thought that this was going to be a big rich chocolaty stout with a luscious cherry undertone. Instead, this is an over-carbonated

pmcadamis, Sep 05, 2008
4.03/5  rDev +29.6%

$2.00 micro bottle night at the Come Back In here in Madison. Those O'Fallon labels really do need to be made over...even Lake Louie's have more character and they're brewed in a dude's garage. Photoshop, guys...learn it.

Pours a creamy cola brown with a skim of off-white head. Nose reminded me of the chocolate soda I used to drink when I was a kid and the chocolate covered cherries I used to get in my Christmas stocking. Taste is a slightly muted version of the nose, sweet but not too sweet. Not the most natural flavors, but tasty nonetheless. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but makes for easy drinking. This really did taste like a soda to me, but in a good, nostalgic way. Could have been executed and crafted better, but a fun concept that actually tasted pretty good.

Golden2wenty1, Dec 16, 2005
3.8/5  rDev +22.2%

O'Fallon's Cherry Chocolate Ale was an interesting idea, but the follow through comes across kind of candyish and fake. Not that it doesn't work as a kind of dessert beer, but there are so many other beers in that vein that can work on their own as well, and this one just doesn't. The cocoa leaps out at you in the nose but it seems kind of false, or at the very least, like cheap chocolate. Or is that just because the cherry is right behind it, giving it the aroma of a half-bitten chocolate covered cherry. Well, if that's the intent, they've nailed it. But it's sugary and candyish. There's no richness to it. But maybe I was just hoping for more. How? I don't know. Perhaps a touch of vinous dark fruit might have helped... some subtle lactobacillus or Brettanomyces? Maybe some more dark malt from a bit of English brown malt. Maybe less cherry and cocoa flavoring. But I digress, as that train of thought is moot. The beer itself has a very good appearance, a rich and full aroma, and an interesting flavor. It's well-balanced and rounded beyond the stiff caricature of chocolate and cherry it presents. It's a decent niche beer. 'Nuff said. Probably still worth at least trying to see if you like it.

NeroFiddled, Apr 09, 2007
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I was pretty weary of this one, but in short it isn't too bad. The short head disapates pretty quickly and leaves behind a golden tan color. The taste is typical of a pale ale, but it leaves behind a candied bouquet. It is an interesting idea and I give them a lot of credit. Greatest beer ever? no. Unusual and worth a chance? yes.

swamiswamu, Oct 25, 2004
2.73/5  rDev -12.2%

12oz into taster.
A: A semi clear body, that has a light brown color to it. The light tan head pours with a rise, than settles to a thin layer. Lacing is minimal, but still present.
S: The aroma is on the lighter side, but does show notes of chocolate and cherry extract. A bit of a off putting aroma.
T/M: A light body and a clean and crisp mouthfeel, all the flavors really are shown, but does not seem to work well together with the other aspects of the brew. To light on the body and a bit of a watery finish.
D: Not something that I would drink again, but still interesting brew. I feel that if the base beer would have been a heavier style, the chocolate and cherry flavors would have worked better.

GDBEERMAN, Feb 14, 2011
3.5/5  rDev +12.5%

12oz single, Woodman's

appearance: clear amber tinted mahogany, light beige head with an even lighter level of lacing left behind, somewhat clear body

smell: very odd, assorted halloween candy...this thing literally smells like a cherry tootsie roll pop, candy sweetness, smooth chocolate....very strange

taste: again, the taste reminds me of a mixture of crappy halloween candy, in particular a lovely cherry tootsie roll pop. light grain, artificial cherry, mass produced chocolate...very wierd

mouthfeel: on the medium end of the thin body category

drinkabilty: i can drink one, its pretty interesting, but no mas

dirtylou, Apr 09, 2006
3.25/5  rDev +4.5%

norinco, Dec 29, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -11.6%

A: Hazy redish, brown with a 1.5 inch thick and steady head; lacing is decent

S: Sickly sweet cherry and chocolate--hard to get anything else; like chocolate covered cherry candies dumped in the beer; some alcohol presence and maybe some malt characteristics but way too much sweet, sweet, cherry candy

T: Tastes like chocolate covered cherries; some subtle roasted malts; not as sweet as aromas indicated but fairly simple beyond the obvious two flavors

F: Fairly creamy although the beer dissipates off the back of the tongue somewhat unpleasantly

D: Well...it's interesting but way too one dimensional for me; I've had enough

dbossman, Feb 08, 2011

jheezee, Dec 07, 2011
3.28/5  rDev +5.5%

Cheers to Dauss for this one (my wife didn't like it!)

Pours a hazed chestnut with 1/2 light tan head. Lightest colored stout I've ever seen. Minimal lacing & zero head retention

S: Huge chocolate & cherry notes makes me think of cherry smash candy. I also get a little booze as it warms

T: Dryness with cocoa & cherry syrup up front. Chalkiness follows as this warms. Finishes dry, with Marciano cherry, brown sugar & cocoa powder

MF: Thin with minimal carbonation

Drinks okay, just a little too OTT to session on, but I could throw a couple down with dessert. Thought this was better the last time I had this

russpowell, Jun 23, 2007