Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Cherry Chocolate BeerCherry Chocolate Beer

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

4.87/5  rDev +54.1%

One of my favorite beers of 2010! After a long tennis match or tough ride on the bike, this beer is refreshing! Tasting almost exactly like a Cherry Coke, it is VERY sweet and can be enjoyed. However, I can only drink 2-3 of these and then my stomach starts to feel it.. Awesome for a dessert beer as well.

4.82/5  rDev +52.5%

Color: pours hazy golden brown. sits hazy burnt orange

Smell: POWERFUL aroma of chocolate covered cherries. thats it. for many fruit beers youre nose would have to be wet to get the same potency of aroma you do with this beer a foot away

Taste: again, chocolate covered cherries through and through.

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: i think a lot of fruit beers mostly lack in flavor. this brew perfectly reflects what it was meant to be. i realize many people might not like it but it is what its supposed to be. terrific

4.58/5  rDev +44.9%

This has been one of my favorite beers so far. I have never had a beer like this before and when I had this one I really liked it a lot. I think the Cherry flavor with the Chocolate flavor is a great taste. This was this first beer that I have had like this and I liked it a lot. I just wish that I could find it where I live is all. If I could find it where I live I know that I would be buying this beer. If you never have had this before you need to try it if you can find it.

4.56/5  rDev +44.3%

Serving: Poured into a pint glass while watching the Bears lose to the Packers. Needed something sweet to take the sour taste away! Served refrigerator cold.

Appearance: A hazy caramel brown. This is described as a "dark wheat beer" by the brewer so the look is as expected. An aggressive pour yielded a nice 2 finger head of off-white creamy foam that quickly backs off. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Un-stinking-believable! This stuff nails it perfectly. Very strong. The smell is exactly what it should be...chocolate covered cherry candy. No hop scent present.

Taste: I could not wait to taste this after the smell. The flavor does not disappoint. This tastes exactly as advertised...chocolate covered cherry!! Nothing complex here. No hops...very moderate sweetness from the malt. The rest is candy. The cherry is not overly powerful and sour as with many cherry beers. This is good! The chocolate is not Swiss gourmet chocolate. It is a generic chocolate covered candy type chocolate. In fact...it reminds me a bit of the flavor in the old Canfield's Chocolate soda for those that remember it. Another way to describe it might be like a cherry-chocolate phosphate with body. Anybody that has ever had a phosphate will know what I am talking about here. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Creamy & smooth. Carbonation is just right.

Drinkability: This is a delicious drink that goes down easy! With an ABV of 5.7%....it goes unnoticed. I downed this very quickly with some double chocolate chip cookies.

Overall: I'll start by saying that I am not a big fruit beer fan. That said; this beer hits a home run with me. Not because it is a world-class beer....but because it is a highly enjoyable beverage. Also...because it is exactly what it sets out to be. A beer that nails its flavor spot on. Many may not like this brew, but "it is what it is"...and does it perfectly. A great job of brewing for a flavor profile IMHO. A great dessert beer that would pair well with any sweet chocolate cake, pastry, or cookies. I found this so intriguing that I went out and picked up another 6-pack of this seasonal for $10.99. Well done, O'Fallon!! I recommend this if you are looking for something different. Not much beer flavor but certainly nothing objectionable. Dessert fun in a bottle! Anyone that remembers the days of chocolate phosphates will love this beer. I would keep this in my fridge year-around if it were available.

4.5/5  rDev +42.4%

Sampled last night on 11/29/14 but had this once before a few years back. Bottle chilled down to 36 degrees F in my beer cooler and poured in to a flute glass.

Pours a very dark mahogany in color with some ruby highlights with a small white head. LOTS of lacing is seen after each sip which is very surprising. The aroma is fantastic, like a fresh chocolate covered cherry. The taste was WOW! Actually like a Cherry Toostie Roll Pop that is close to the end. Very surprised how good this one was. Very smooth and goes down easy. Medium-bodied with perfect carbonation. A tasty winter seasonal brew.

4.42/5  rDev +39.9%

Appearance: red/dark brown in color, with 1/2 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: chocolate and cherries--like a cherry cordial

Taste: some milk chocolate with roasted malt and cherries...like a liquid cherry cordial.

Mouthfeel: light body, medium/high carbonation, very sweet.

Drinkability: Not sure if I taste beer here, but it is a guilty pleasure none the less. I can see how others may dislike this. It is a liquid cherry cordial and is perfect for dessert. I love the taste and wish I picked more up. A really good drink.

4.4/5  rDev +39.2%

I noticed this at Kroger where you can combined single bottles of different flavors and this one stood-out to me because of its unique look and uncommon cherry chocolate taste. I remember it being very tasteful and something I would definitely buy in a 6 pack. I'm usually a fan of lighter beers, with exception to Guinness, so I am curious of the calories in relation to comparable matches; that might be the only thing swaying my decision in the future.

4.29/5  rDev +35.8%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. The balance between the chocolate and cherry is great and not too sweet. Not a beer you'd want to have more than one of, but a good one to mix in now and again.

Sampled during the Winter 2010 tasting, brought by Joel.

4.22/5  rDev +33.5%

I'm amazed. I usually am not a fan of fruity beers, but this one is intriguing to me. Tastes exactly like those chocolate covered cherries you get for Valentine's day.

The beer pours to a very cloudy chocolatey brown color with a cherry haze and a thin creamy white head. Very murky. Doesn't leave much in the way of lacing, and carbonation is not apparant through the turbidity.

The smell and taste is exactly what the beer advertises. Chocolate and cherries. I am under the impression that all the brewer did was puree those chocolate covered cherry candies and add a bit of water and alcohol. This does not seem to have any conventional beer flavors, aside from a slight suggestion of chocolate malt (though I believe most of the chocolate flavor comes from real chocolate).

The mouthfeel is quite clean and crisp with a medium to full body. No bitterness, no lingering aftertaste. Just a delightful and delectable treat. This will make a great dessert beer for the holidays.

I can't see why I am one of few people who actually liked this beer. It doesn't fail to deliver on the cherry or the chocolate, and it is far from offensive (and doesn't taste like artificial cherry or chocolate extract at that). Too rich to drink more than one in a setting? Possibly... but my biggest objection? Lameass label.

edit: makes a great stand-alone dessert beer, but try putting a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream in your glass. Amazing!

4.22/5  rDev +33.5%

I was impressed with O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale when it came out, so I felt comfortable with this pick. It poured a very odd color. It was a somewhat transparent, but murky brown - somewhat like it was pale, but then you added something brown to the light mixture. Small, but lasting head. Not much lacing. The aroma follows the odd trend. Lots of cherry aroma with some sweet chocolate in the background. Nice. The flavor was very much the same. Has an apparent cherry flavor, but without any tartness that one usually gets from cherries. The chocolate flavor in this one was much more like a milk chocolate flavor than a chocolate malt, leading me to believe they used a sweet chocolate extract. Very nice. The chocolate flavor sticks around in the mouth, giving it a cloyingly thick mouthfeel. Very drinkable, but too odd to be a session beer. I enjoyed this one a lot. Very odd, but very good too.

4.19/5  rDev +32.6%

A: A deep garnet color with a little bit of head. A lot of cabonation though.
S: Chocolate covered cherries come to mind right away. A little bit of booze to go along with it, but tons of cherries and chocolate.
T: A chocolate covered cherry again, surprise! Very tasty and not overdone. A bit of alcohol accompanies the cherry and chocolate and balances perfectly.
M: Decently carbonated and has a little bite.
D: Goes down smooth with little to no aftertaste. Clean finish.

I was very surprised by this beer and shocked to see a lot of the low reviews. I will be purchasing this again.

4.13/5  rDev +30.7%

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic. 3079 on the neck.

A - Cherry Chocolate Beer pours a gross hazy, muddy brown that's not appetizing in the least. An off-white head rises to a finger, then lowers to a thin layer while leaving an arch of lace.

S - Wow. The aroma just erupts out of this. I can smell it a foot away! I don't know how they do it, but it smells exactly like chocolate covered cherries with the sugary cream center. This is the most realistic milk chocolate aroma I've come across in a beer. The maraschino cherries smell spot-on too. Absolutely no beer hints in here.

T - The nose smells much more potent than it tastes but this beer is one hell of a trip. The flavor is of toasted malts hiding in the background of a milk chocolate and maraschino chocolate covered cherry goodness. Wow.

M - Moderate carbonation gives the finish a bit of a kick but this medium-bodied beer's talent lies in the other senses (appearance aside).

D - I can't believe my cousin hated this beer with a passion! This is the most accurate beer based on the name I've ever had! It smells and tastes like liquid chocolate covered cherries. Definitely more of a dessert beer but I put this down so fast after opening it.

4.07/5  rDev +28.8%

Deep dark brown body is almost black. Hosts a quick fading light tan head. Nose is like a tootsie roll droped in cherry cola, very interesting. And the taste stays true to this, kind of like a true old fashioned cherry chocolate fountain soda. I mean really, is there any alchol in this at all? This is a strongly sweet candy of a beer. Chocolate is smooth, light, and sweet. Not as dark as I might have expected. Creamy smooth cherry feel. Almost resembles a mouthfeel you would get from a tru soda. Extremely drinkable. I still dont believe it is 5.7% alchol. Yum!

4.07/5  rDev +28.8%

Poured from 12 oz bottle into pint glass. Pours a dark hazy brown with a finger of light tan head. Very little head retention. Smells just like your think, cherries and chocolate. Taste is like a very light chocolate stout with cherries just on the finish. I could drink several of these no problem. I would consider it a very drinkable beer. I still have yet to sample a bad beer from O'Fallon Brewing.

4.04/5  rDev +27.8%

$2.00 micro bottle night at the Come Back In here in Madison. Those O'Fallon labels really do need to be made over...even Lake Louie's have more character and they're brewed in a dude's garage. Photoshop, guys...learn it.

Pours a creamy cola brown with a skim of off-white head. Nose reminded me of the chocolate soda I used to drink when I was a kid and the chocolate covered cherries I used to get in my Christmas stocking. Taste is a slightly muted version of the nose, sweet but not too sweet. Not the most natural flavors, but tasty nonetheless. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but makes for easy drinking. This really did taste like a soda to me, but in a good, nostalgic way. Could have been executed and crafted better, but a fun concept that actually tasted pretty good.

4.04/5  rDev +27.8%

Pours a clear amber color with a very minimal head.

The smell... strong sweet cherries and yes, sweet chocolate! A little of the malt smell comes through as well.

The taste follows the nose.... like a cordial cherry. Not as sweet as the nose hints at, very smooth on the palate....The finish is all chocolate and malt.

I enjoyed this beer... it is a different treat that delivers what the label states. I always like to get some of this beer when available just because it is an easy drinking and unique beer in my opinion. Some will hate it.. others love it.

Keep drinking great beer ... cheers!

4.01/5  rDev +26.9%

pours muddy light brown with very little head and no lacing

smell is spot on for a chocolate covered cherry

taste is a bit thin/watery but to me it tastes just like a cherry tootsie pop

mouthfeel is light well carbonated - just a bit thin

drinkability is good - this beer is 10x better then that cherry wheat crap SA puts out - they could learn some things from this beer

Pours a deep amber color with orange-ish hues, and a white head. In the aroma, seriously like a chocolate covered cherry. In the taste, like dinking a chocolate covered cherry with hints of coconut. A bitter chocolate and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry chocolate and cherry aftertaste. Kind of creamy, interesting with coconut hints. A good dessert beer.

Poured this Fruit Beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It poured a cloudy reddish amber color, produced a nice beigh head, good retention, and it left some lacing on the glass. The aroma was very nice, strong smell of chocolate and a nice dose of cherry.The taste of this ale was medium in body, had a nice base of chocolate, and a distinct cherry flavor. It tasted somewhere between a tootsie roll and a chocolate covered cherry. This was a decent unique beer, I have not had one like this- Great session beer, if your looking for something outside of the box and unique- check out this brew, Prost!

Bottle courtesy of russpowell. Thanks Russ!

It pours a cloudy colour of rust with a 1 finger head of foam. There's some nice lacing in my NB Goblet.

The smell..ha! Cherry & Chocolate. Milk chocolate notes go hand in hand with a great wild cherry sweetness, maybe a slight tart note but not much.

The taste matches the nose and my palate likes it. Simple, but satisfying. A great candidate for a dessert beer as both flavours work very well together.

It's medium bodied with a lowish level of carbonation.

Drinkability? It sure is easy enough for *me* to drink and tastewise, quite enjoyable. It's like a chocolate coated cherry bon bon only in liquid form. Yum.

Served in a wine glass.

Ooh, this one comes with a tasty-looking cake recipe. Gonna haveta try that sometime. As for the beer, it pours a slightly hazy copper-amber topped by around a finger or so of white foam. The nose -- whoofah! -- really made me recoil. Ask around, I was physically taken aback by the extreme chocolate and cherry smell. But it was all good, as though a bushel o' cherry cordials was liquefied and thrust into my gaping 'strils. Delicious. The taste doesn't quite measure up to the aroma's hype, bringing only some light black cherry, cocoa powder, and light maple syrup to bear. It's still tasty, just not as much as I'd hoped. The body is a somewhat hefty light, with a light carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, for what it is, this beer really delivers what it promises. My only knock against it is the lack of any substantial body, which hinders full enjoyment (but, luckily, not too much).

3.99/5  rDev +26.3%

pours a cloudy medium color with an almost white head that lingers around for a decent amount of time. doesn't leave much lacing if any.
smells great, like chocolate and cherries, and maybe a little yeast and malt.
taste is pretty good as well. chocolate, cherries, malt, and a little hoppiness in the end.
mouthfeel is pretty good, but not magnificent. medium bodied, with little carbonation, but nowhere near flat tasting.
it is pretty drinkable, but it seems that after a few in a row i may feel the need to switch to something else, definitely good and i would drink it again, i'm just not sure about all night.

3.99/5  rDev +26.3%

Poured from a 12 ounce bottle into a small snifter. Thin, moderate disappearing head light and frothy. Smell of sweet and dark chocolate. Murky, sort of a watery mouthfeel. It gives the appearance of a cola that the ice has melted in. All and all I think this is a nice dessert, a liquid chocolate cherry for drinking enjoyment.

3.99/5  rDev +26.3%

A. Pours out a brown hue with some reddish highlights. Has a thick off white head that quickly disappears with no lacing or retention.
S. The smell reminds me of chocolate covered cherries such as turtles and tootsie rolls.
T. The taste starts out with some caramel and roasted chocolate followed by some cherry in the back with more chocolate. Reminds me of drinking a liquid candy bar.
M. The mouthfeel is a light body that has a thin watery feel that just doesn't do much.
O. Overall, this is a good tasting beer that I could enjoy sometimes. I just wish it had more body to it.

3.94/5  rDev +24.7%

This beer is a fairly thick-looking medium to dark brown, showing the viscosity of a strong porter or stout. The head is creamy from the tap, a tan cap about half a finger tall that creates nice, creamy lacing with strength.
There are a few beers of this type out there, and most go the way of cherry cordial if they get it right. This one goes a different route. It smells like chocolate-covered cherries, but with smooth, bittersweet dark chocolate over heartier cherries that offer more tartness and just a little sweetness. There is a creamy sort of sweetness that rides underneath, though.
This is an absolutely solid beer with a sturdy malts base, far from one-dimensional while keeping the focus where it belongs. There is a roasty note all the way through with a taste strong dark barley grains underneath. Otherwise, both the dark chocolate and the tart cherry carry through, and both are strong on the tongue.
The feel is interesting. It's a bit crisp, and smoothness eases off at the end of each sip, so it could be cleaner. The body's a strong medium but something falls off, barely perceptible, also right at the end of each sip.

Cherry Chocolate Beer from O'Fallon Brewery