Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Cherry Chocolate BeerCherry Chocolate Beer

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

(Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004)
WVbeergeek

West Virginia

Appears a pale amber caramel hue with a bright off white head. Aroma smells of chocolate tootsie rolls and artificial cherry extract it actually smells gross. Flavor I can't finish this disgusting extract brew horrible chocolate flavor medicinal cherry blend this is pukerific, hands down the worst beer of 2009 and 2010. This deserves the worst most creatively bad reviews known to man. In my case I can't stomach another sip. I don't think there's a need to try other O'Fallon brews since I've tasted this. God awful I'm chewing on a twizzler to get rid of the flavor of this beer.

02-27-2010 19:59:40 | More by WVbeergeek

tim28

12-21-2011 19:09:58 | More by tim28
KarlHungus

1.35/5  rDev -56.7%

This beer pours a murky amber color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of bakers chocolate with cherry juice. The taste leans more toward the cherry juice with a lingering aftertaste of bakers chocolate. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is a rancid drain pour. There is no possible way I will ever drink this again.

10-31-2008 00:54:53 | More by KarlHungus
_grant_

Arkansas

1.5/5  rDev -51.9%

03-24-2014 18:43:22 | More by _grant_
hero27

1.7/5  rDev -45.5%

12 oz bottle.

Ridiculously plain labeling..it could have been printed on a laserjet printer and I wouldn't know any better. Cherry Chocolate, huh? This should be interesting...
Muddy reddish-brown, thin oily head..looks just ok. The aroma is roasted chocolate with a hint of artificial cherry. The tastes seemed like a mess to me...lackluster cherry flavor and a smoky malt character that didn't blend together well. The mouthfeel was too thin, also.
Not sure if I could drink more than 1 or 2 in a sitting..it's just not very well put together and the taste is quite irritating. The only redeeming quality of this beer is that it gets significantly better as it warms up a bit. At fridge temp, this brew is borderline horrible. I'd steer clear from this one, but if you're a die-hard fruit beer fan (like I'm sure there are so many of) then try it if you must.

01-28-2006 06:04:26 | More by hero27

1.75/5  rDev -43.9%

11-27-2013 02:17:49 | More by Drk93TT
pmcadamis

1.78/5  rDev -42.9%

A - This one comes in a nondescript bottle. I didn't even know that this was an O'Fallon brew when I picked it up. Some simple 1950's stylized cherries and "cherry chocolate" are the only things on the label. This one is a deep rhubarb pink with some good sized chunks of yeast floating around. The head is long lasting at about a finger, and consists of some nice thick strawberry flecked cream. Lots of nice thick lace sticks to the glass

S - Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop all up in yo' face. This smells like those chocolate covered cherry goopy candies that they sell at the counter in gas stations and supermarkets.

T - Aargh. Somehow the decent nose completely crashes on the palate. This reminds me of a cheap (Fanta?) chocolate flavored soda that I once had at my grandma's house. If I remember correctly, that soda, like this beer, tasted rather thin and fake for something chocolate flavored. Big rich dark chocolate works in a stout, but this is more of a flimsy pale ale with artificial flavors. The cherry just ends up tasting sour.

M - Super carbonated and thin, this is a lot like some sort of soda that I imagine was jerked at many a 1950's drug store lunch counter. The finish is neutral and clean with a sour twang of puckery cherry.

D - This isn't terrible, but is sure isn't good. This is more soda pop than beer. I thought that this was going to be a big rich chocolaty stout with a luscious cherry undertone. Instead, this is an over-carbonated

09-05-2008 04:41:18 | More by pmcadamis
goodbyeohio

Oregon

1.78/5  rDev -42.9%

thanks be to mark. amen.

i get the cherry and chocolate vaguely from the aroma, lots of smoky malt as well and some armpit funk. wet paper bags and some dog.

looks harmless enough.. reddish brown, clearer than i imagined. minimal head and nice lacing. scared and confused upon seeing something so... light. expected a stouty appearance.

cherry soda mixed with chocolate milk. that's exactly what this tastes like. and upon futher sips, this oozes cherry syrup as though im drinking a starbucks granita. very heavy in the back end, slightly alcoholic and evoking a heavy weight in my stomach. not sure i can drink this whole thing.

a noble experiment, and something new, but not something to repeat. cherry lovers will enjoy this, and the aftertaste reminiscent of laffy taffy. mind blowingly bizarre.

i dont hate it, but i would never drink another one as long as i both shall live. amen.

*barf*

09-11-2005 16:10:11 | More by goodbyeohio
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

Reviewed from notes.

Amber with a three finger fizzy cream colored head that lasts for two minutes and has some streaky lacing. Watery thin body and fizzy distracting carbonation levels.

It's been said before and I have to agree with the consensus: It smells and tastes like an artificially-flavored cherry tootsie roll candy. It's rather terrible overall and I couldn't recommend trying it. The presence of artificial flavoring is seldom as obvious as it is within this particular beer. I'm not even quite sure if it counts as beer. Stay away from this one.

01-04-2013 18:31:41 | More by WastingFreetime
fdw3

1.83/5  rDev -41.3%

A: Pours light brownish-red with a small head and only a bit of lacing.

S: Chocolate is extremely apparent with a faint hint of cherry; alcohol is overbearing and lends a strong medicinal scent.

T: True to smell -- artificial chocolate flavoring mixed with cherry cough syrup. The alcohol takes over after the first moment and is simply overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Not very good -- the mix of flavors here is enough to invoke a bit of nausea. I couldn't finish one, so multiple are out of the question. It might be one to pour into 4-5 glasses and let everybody taste, but not much more.

01-18-2012 05:31:36 | More by fdw3
Gruntlumber

1.85/5  rDev -40.7%

This seemed like an interesting idea, and under other circumstances it might be pretty good. However, this is not good. It looks normal enough despite slight murkiness due to more-than-usual sediment. Distinct aroma of cherries and chocolate dominate which is rather interesting. Downhill from here though; very artificial flavors, totally off-putting and unenjoyable. Old lady holloween candy melted down and cut with a dose of cherry NyQuil and farts. They've been trying to move this stuff for $2.99/sixer at a local place and it's been slow going. I know why.

04-25-2006 03:36:17 | More by Gruntlumber
rwathree

Iowa

1.88/5  rDev -39.7%

Bought this because my daughter liked the label. Here we go...

A: opaque, reddish brown. (Want to say chocolate brown, but that might be the label talking to me.) Weak head, little retention or lacing.

S: like a chocolate-covered cherry, which in itself is nice, but it scares me to think about how it tastes. The really unpleasant part of the smell is the alcohol fumes that mix in with the candy smell.

T: not good. Actually tastes okay up front, dry with a bit of hop bitterness. But then the flavoring kicks in. I can't figure out what this beer needs to make the cherry notes work, but it's not there. Leaves sort of a waxy aftertaste, too.

M: the alcohol fumes I notice in the nose figure in an unpleasant, medicinal way here. For all the sweetness, my mouth feels the way it does after I use mouthwash.

I just don't have a lot of nice things to say about this beer. I'm trying to think of it in the context of the style, but regardless of whether or not the concept's flawed, the execution definitely is. Glad this is a single bottle from a mix-a-six.

11-21-2011 05:15:15 | More by rwathree
Khazadum

1.88/5  rDev -39.7%

With a little message "will this beer live up to your expectations?" I eagerly uncap and pour this beer into my 10 ounce pint glass. Its the perfect match-up while viewing the end of the MLG finals.

Great head formation, TONS of lilypad formations of carbonation seen from above, and a thick white collar. The retention of the head is minor, unfortunately. It laces appreciably, but nothing spectacular. Cold honey colored body makes me wonder about this beer.

Oh, what is that aroma? It is so familiar. I am trying ever so hard to pinpoint it. It is so familiar. I know this flavor. Its so familiar... Its bright butterscotch and caramel with some similarities to fruity pebbles. Relatively clean and singular. Monochromatic with the butterscotch sweetness being almost over attenuated. It also smells insanely similar to a Diet Chocolate Soda my grandma absolutely killed for. What the hell was that name... Google revealed it to be Canfield's. Shit was absolutely TERRIBAD.

Do not like. Nope. Definitely not. Opens up sweet, strong sweetness. Juice level of sucrose here. It starts out sharp sweetness that reminds me of a simple syrup with tartness. It becomes tangible and identifiable as a butterscotch and caramel flavor erupts and... cocoa? Is that really... no... it... It is! Aspartame mingled in a cocoa flavoring. I swear if you poured canfield's into a bottle and resealed it... It peaks quite fast and dissipates before I have ease of interpretation. It takes many sips to understand just what this beer resembles. Finish is clean for the most part with a cellulosic nature. Very simple, but not what I would call tasty. For all of its identifying flavors, they aren't the gourmet or desirable types.

Take your favorite memory of sucking on a hard butterscotch candy given to you by your ever-generous great aunt after she slaved away making these amazing little confections. Then imagine she sold the recipe in the best interests of sharing her love with the world to a blood-sucking, heartless conglomerate who turned it into a mass-produced generic lump of terror that children can buy for a few nickels. That end-product resembles what I imagine the bland interpretation of these classic flavors to be. Flea market brand butterscotch candy dipped in expired cocoa powder packet from a mystery box.

Thin, watery, and disjointed. Nothing mingles, just stages that are clearly defined from one another by slaps to my tongue. Lacks the power to linger on my palate, but leaves me feeling like a piece of hair floated and stuck to my lips. Annoying, in short.

I do not like this beer. I imagine this as being a kill shot, I really really think it is. I think of this as just an ale brewed with maybe honey or butterscotch drizzle? Whatever it is, I would not like to try this again if possible.

O'fallon Cherry Chocolate beer. Natural flavors my ass! This tastes absolutely horrendous. I think I may appreciate Canfield's Chocolate Fudge soda a bit more than this beverage. I understand the sharp sweetness at first to be the cherry, and the more I realize it the more I understand this definitely tastes like aspartame, cheap cocoa, and cheap beer all in one glass.

06-06-2011 00:24:39 | More by Khazadum
paco1029384756

1.9/5  rDev -39.1%

Pours a dark copper color with very little head.

Scent of artificial cherries and weak chocolate. A crappy, unpleasant scent.

Taste of plastic, artificial cherries and chocolate. One of the worst craft beers I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with some carbonation.

It's pretty hard to drink this due to the terrible flavor.

02-06-2009 01:23:42 | More by paco1029384756
bort11

1.93/5  rDev -38.1%

Bought this for my wife for New Year's. I thought since she likes Sam Adams Cherry Wheat she may like this one.
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Solid tan head that receded with time. Color is a reddish brown.
Smell is like powdered cocoa. Taste is like cocoa with too much Grenadine in it, not that I would ever put Grenadine in my cocoa. I don't even really taste any "beer" qualities.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a mild carbonation.
Blecch

01-01-2007 17:14:25 | More by bort11
mdcrouser

1.95/5  rDev -37.5%

This beer does stand out, if for no other reason than the strange concoction of flavors that they've packed into these bottles. It's not that the flavors themselves are that unique - cherries are well-liked in lambics, while I've homebrewed a pretty decent chocolate porter. It's the trio of cherry, chocolate, and beer that makes this one different.

I would most liken the initial nose to that of a Scotch Ale, but with some slightly musty odors. Mild carbonation fades to giveway to what can only be described as a strange version of the inner filling of a chocolate-covered cherry. Not enjoyable - points for effort and creativity.

12-15-2008 22:23:28 | More by mdcrouser

06-30-2013 02:37:31 | More by BrewSTL
TheQuietMan22

Iowa

2.03/5  rDev -34.9%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a murky brown; it almost looks like it was brewed with unfiltered Mississippi River water. Two fingers of off-white head developed and dissipated quickly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge. There was some yeast sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle, so I guess this truly is a type of wheat beer.

Smell: Chocolate covered cherries. Definitely. The cherry, though, smells more like the processed syrup used at ice cream shops. Very sweet and enticing, and there is also a hint of vanilla.

Taste: Okay... That's interesting. The dominant flavor is the chocolate covered cherries from the smell, but the taste is not as potent as the aroma; it is masked by an unpleasant element, which reminds me of cream soda or another kind of carbonated beverage. I love cream soda, but not in beer. Very watered down and thin.

Drinkability: Perhaps this is a bad bottle, but this stuff is just not good. It smells great, but the taste is something else. I'll give them props for the effort, though. I am thankful I did not get a sixer. One bottle is enough.

01-13-2011 19:41:03 | More by TheQuietMan22