Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Cherry Chocolate BeerCherry Chocolate Beer

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

Appears a pale amber caramel hue with a bright off white head. Aroma smells of chocolate tootsie rolls and artificial cherry extract it actually smells gross. Flavor I can't finish this disgusting extract brew horrible chocolate flavor medicinal cherry blend this is pukerific, hands down the worst beer of 2009 and 2010. This deserves the worst most creatively bad reviews known to man. In my case I can't stomach another sip. I don't think there's a need to try other O'Fallon brews since I've tasted this. God awful I'm chewing on a twizzler to get rid of the flavor of this beer. (583 characters)

1.4/5  rDev -55.8%

This beer pours a murky amber color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of bakers chocolate with cherry juice. The taste leans more toward the cherry juice with a lingering aftertaste of bakers chocolate. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is a rancid drain pour. There is no possible way I will ever drink this again. (436 characters)

1.73/5  rDev -45.4%

12 oz bottle.

Ridiculously plain labeling..it could have been printed on a laserjet printer and I wouldn't know any better. Cherry Chocolate, huh? This should be interesting...
Muddy reddish-brown, thin oily head..looks just ok. The aroma is roasted chocolate with a hint of artificial cherry. The tastes seemed like a mess to me...lackluster cherry flavor and a smoky malt character that didn't blend together well. The mouthfeel was too thin, also.
Not sure if I could drink more than 1 or 2 in a sitting..it's just not very well put together and the taste is quite irritating. The only redeeming quality of this beer is that it gets significantly better as it warms up a bit. At fridge temp, this brew is borderline horrible. I'd steer clear from this one, but if you're a die-hard fruit beer fan (like I'm sure there are so many of) then try it if you must. (868 characters)

1.8/5  rDev -43.2%

Reviewed from notes.

Amber with a three finger fizzy cream colored head that lasts for two minutes and has some streaky lacing. Watery thin body and fizzy distracting carbonation levels.

It's been said before and I have to agree with the consensus: It smells and tastes like an artificially-flavored cherry tootsie roll candy. It's rather terrible overall and I couldn't recommend trying it. The presence of artificial flavoring is seldom as obvious as it is within this particular beer. I'm not even quite sure if it counts as beer. Stay away from this one. (560 characters)

1.84/5  rDev -42%

A: Pours light brownish-red with a small head and only a bit of lacing.

S: Chocolate is extremely apparent with a faint hint of cherry; alcohol is overbearing and lends a strong medicinal scent.

T: True to smell -- artificial chocolate flavoring mixed with cherry cough syrup. The alcohol takes over after the first moment and is simply overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Not very good -- the mix of flavors here is enough to invoke a bit of nausea. I couldn't finish one, so multiple are out of the question. It might be one to pour into 4-5 glasses and let everybody taste, but not much more. (619 characters)

1.85/5  rDev -41.6%

A - This one comes in a nondescript bottle. I didn't even know that this was an O'Fallon brew when I picked it up. Some simple 1950's stylized cherries and "cherry chocolate" are the only things on the label. This one is a deep rhubarb pink with some good sized chunks of yeast floating around. The head is long lasting at about a finger, and consists of some nice thick strawberry flecked cream. Lots of nice thick lace sticks to the glass

S - Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop all up in yo' face. This smells like those chocolate covered cherry goopy candies that they sell at the counter in gas stations and supermarkets.

T - Aargh. Somehow the decent nose completely crashes on the palate. This reminds me of a cheap (Fanta?) chocolate flavored soda that I once had at my grandma's house. If I remember correctly, that soda, like this beer, tasted rather thin and fake for something chocolate flavored. Big rich dark chocolate works in a stout, but this is more of a flimsy pale ale with artificial flavors. The cherry just ends up tasting sour.

M - Super carbonated and thin, this is a lot like some sort of soda that I imagine was jerked at many a 1950's drug store lunch counter. The finish is neutral and clean with a sour twang of puckery cherry.

D - This isn't terrible, but is sure isn't good. This is more soda pop than beer. I thought that this was going to be a big rich chocolaty stout with a luscious cherry undertone. Instead, this is an over-carbonated (1,464 characters)

1.88/5  rDev -40.7%

thanks be to mark. amen.

i get the cherry and chocolate vaguely from the aroma, lots of smoky malt as well and some armpit funk. wet paper bags and some dog.

looks harmless enough.. reddish brown, clearer than i imagined. minimal head and nice lacing. scared and confused upon seeing something so... light. expected a stouty appearance.

cherry soda mixed with chocolate milk. that's exactly what this tastes like. and upon futher sips, this oozes cherry syrup as though im drinking a starbucks granita. very heavy in the back end, slightly alcoholic and evoking a heavy weight in my stomach. not sure i can drink this whole thing.

a noble experiment, and something new, but not something to repeat. cherry lovers will enjoy this, and the aftertaste reminiscent of laffy taffy. mind blowingly bizarre.

i dont hate it, but i would never drink another one as long as i both shall live. amen.

*barf* (914 characters)

1.92/5  rDev -39.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 1.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2

Pours a dark copper color with very little head.

Scent of artificial cherries and weak chocolate. A crappy, unpleasant scent.

Taste of plastic, artificial cherries and chocolate. One of the worst craft beers I have ever had.

Mouthfeel is medium light bodied with some carbonation.

It's pretty hard to drink this due to the terrible flavor. (343 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -39.1%

Bought this because my daughter liked the label. Here we go...

A: opaque, reddish brown. (Want to say chocolate brown, but that might be the label talking to me.) Weak head, little retention or lacing.

S: like a chocolate-covered cherry, which in itself is nice, but it scares me to think about how it tastes. The really unpleasant part of the smell is the alcohol fumes that mix in with the candy smell.

T: not good. Actually tastes okay up front, dry with a bit of hop bitterness. But then the flavoring kicks in. I can't figure out what this beer needs to make the cherry notes work, but it's not there. Leaves sort of a waxy aftertaste, too.

M: the alcohol fumes I notice in the nose figure in an unpleasant, medicinal way here. For all the sweetness, my mouth feels the way it does after I use mouthwash.

I just don't have a lot of nice things to say about this beer. I'm trying to think of it in the context of the style, but regardless of whether or not the concept's flawed, the execution definitely is. Glad this is a single bottle from a mix-a-six. (1,065 characters)

1.93/5  rDev -39.1%

With a little message "will this beer live up to your expectations?" I eagerly uncap and pour this beer into my 10 ounce pint glass. Its the perfect match-up while viewing the end of the MLG finals.

Great head formation, TONS of lilypad formations of carbonation seen from above, and a thick white collar. The retention of the head is minor, unfortunately. It laces appreciably, but nothing spectacular. Cold honey colored body makes me wonder about this beer.

Oh, what is that aroma? It is so familiar. I am trying ever so hard to pinpoint it. It is so familiar. I know this flavor. Its so familiar... Its bright butterscotch and caramel with some similarities to fruity pebbles. Relatively clean and singular. Monochromatic with the butterscotch sweetness being almost over attenuated. It also smells insanely similar to a Diet Chocolate Soda my grandma absolutely killed for. What the hell was that name... Google revealed it to be Canfield's. Shit was absolutely TERRIBAD.

Do not like. Nope. Definitely not. Opens up sweet, strong sweetness. Juice level of sucrose here. It starts out sharp sweetness that reminds me of a simple syrup with tartness. It becomes tangible and identifiable as a butterscotch and caramel flavor erupts and... cocoa? Is that really... no... it... It is! Aspartame mingled in a cocoa flavoring. I swear if you poured canfield's into a bottle and resealed it... It peaks quite fast and dissipates before I have ease of interpretation. It takes many sips to understand just what this beer resembles. Finish is clean for the most part with a cellulosic nature. Very simple, but not what I would call tasty. For all of its identifying flavors, they aren't the gourmet or desirable types.

Take your favorite memory of sucking on a hard butterscotch candy given to you by your ever-generous great aunt after she slaved away making these amazing little confections. Then imagine she sold the recipe in the best interests of sharing her love with the world to a blood-sucking, heartless conglomerate who turned it into a mass-produced generic lump of terror that children can buy for a few nickels. That end-product resembles what I imagine the bland interpretation of these classic flavors to be. Flea market brand butterscotch candy dipped in expired cocoa powder packet from a mystery box.

Thin, watery, and disjointed. Nothing mingles, just stages that are clearly defined from one another by slaps to my tongue. Lacks the power to linger on my palate, but leaves me feeling like a piece of hair floated and stuck to my lips. Annoying, in short.

I do not like this beer. I imagine this as being a kill shot, I really really think it is. I think of this as just an ale brewed with maybe honey or butterscotch drizzle? Whatever it is, I would not like to try this again if possible.

O'fallon Cherry Chocolate beer. Natural flavors my ass! This tastes absolutely horrendous. I think I may appreciate Canfield's Chocolate Fudge soda a bit more than this beverage. I understand the sharp sweetness at first to be the cherry, and the more I realize it the more I understand this definitely tastes like aspartame, cheap cocoa, and cheap beer all in one glass. (3,188 characters)

1.94/5  rDev -38.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 1.5 | overall: 1

This seemed like an interesting idea, and under other circumstances it might be pretty good. However, this is not good. It looks normal enough despite slight murkiness due to more-than-usual sediment. Distinct aroma of cherries and chocolate dominate which is rather interesting. Downhill from here though; very artificial flavors, totally off-putting and unenjoyable. Old lady holloween candy melted down and cut with a dose of cherry NyQuil and farts. They've been trying to move this stuff for $2.99/sixer at a local place and it's been slow going. I know why. (563 characters)

1.96/5  rDev -38.2%

This beer does stand out, if for no other reason than the strange concoction of flavors that they've packed into these bottles. It's not that the flavors themselves are that unique - cherries are well-liked in lambics, while I've homebrewed a pretty decent chocolate porter. It's the trio of cherry, chocolate, and beer that makes this one different.

I would most liken the initial nose to that of a Scotch Ale, but with some slightly musty odors. Mild carbonation fades to giveway to what can only be described as a strange version of the inner filling of a chocolate-covered cherry. Not enjoyable - points for effort and creativity. (636 characters)

Bought this for my wife for New Year's. I thought since she likes Sam Adams Cherry Wheat she may like this one.
12 oz bottle poured into a pint glass. Solid tan head that receded with time. Color is a reddish brown.
Smell is like powdered cocoa. Taste is like cocoa with too much Grenadine in it, not that I would ever put Grenadine in my cocoa. I don't even really taste any "beer" qualities.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a mild carbonation.
Blecch (456 characters)

2.01/5  rDev -36.6%

A- Pours a slightly redish brown. I guess that's the color you'd get from chocolate and cherries together, but I have to admit I was expecting something a lot blacker. When was the last time you had a beer with the "chocolate" in the name that wasn't black or at least close to it. Head is not much-just a splash of light foam, and pretty white at that.

S- Hmm. Not a good hmm. Like a "what the heck is that?" And as I sniff further it comes to me- maraschino cherries- masked in a veil of fake smelling chocolate. It's like you took the liquid from the bright red dye #5 cherries and added to it some mildly alcoholic chocolate syrup from the coffee bar. And glossing over it all is a distinct note of coconut oil. So I get the cherry chocolate thing, but it's not a good combo here.

T- More of the maraschino thing. There's kind of a chocolate covered maraschino cherry, but one that went kinda bad.

M- Doesn't leave much on the tongue which is nice. I wouldn't want to taste this beer for longer than it was in my mouth anyway.

O-Kinda gross. It has the foundation of a good flavor profile, but way too artificial and unbalanced and not enough malt flavor. Not recommended. (1,180 characters)

2.06/5  rDev -35%

Smells and tastes like a chocolate-covered cherry. It's like a melted tootsie roll mixed with maraschino cherry syrup in an overly-carbonated, non-descript beer. (162 characters)

2.13/5  rDev -32.8%

A-Pours a light chocolate color with a finger of white head.

S-Smells of huge notes of Luden's cough drops and Tootsie Rolls.

T-Sweet cherry and light notes of tootsie roll followed by maybe the slightest hint of bitterness.

M-Light bodied with a prickly, light carbonation.

D-Drinkability is pretty low for me; the elements of this beer that stand out are flavorings used with a weak base beer. (399 characters)

2.17/5  rDev -31.5%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a murky brown; it almost looks like it was brewed with unfiltered Mississippi River water. Two fingers of off-white head developed and dissipated quickly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge. There was some yeast sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle, so I guess this truly is a type of wheat beer.

Smell: Chocolate covered cherries. Definitely. The cherry, though, smells more like the processed syrup used at ice cream shops. Very sweet and enticing, and there is also a hint of vanilla.

Taste: Okay... That's interesting. The dominant flavor is the chocolate covered cherries from the smell, but the taste is not as potent as the aroma; it is masked by an unpleasant element, which reminds me of cream soda or another kind of carbonated beverage. I love cream soda, but not in beer. Very watered down and thin.

Drinkability: Perhaps this is a bad bottle, but this stuff is just not good. It smells great, but the taste is something else. I'll give them props for the effort, though. I am thankful I did not get a sixer. One bottle is enough. (1,123 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -30.6%

Thanks to Jackie for pointing out the exact flavor of this beer... Cherry tootsie pops.

There's nothing inherently wrong with cherry tootsie pops. But some things just don't work well in beer. Fruity candies are one of them.

I was hoping there would just be a hint of the chocolate and cherry flavors, but it went overboard. Not only that, the choices for each were poor. It was much too sugary tasting, and I just didn't feel like finishing it. (447 characters)

2.2/5  rDev -30.6%

Dark brown ale pours with a bit of a tan head, but doesn't stay long. Cherry and chocolate in the nose, like a stale candy bar. The taste is ok, but feels very much over top of the beer and not integrated with it. Tried to put too much flavor on a watery beer--not enough malt to balance. Chocolate taste isn't very flavorful either. Still, the best beer from this brewery that I have listed. (392 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -29.7%

A- Tiny head that dissipated quickly, no real lacing. Poured a dark amber that could be seen through.
S- a mix of Bailey's or Kahlua mixed with a Tootsie roll. A lot like a red Tootsie Roll pop, actually.
T- Tastes just like it smells. Tastes like your drinking an alcoholic, red Tootsie Roll Pop. Finishes like a thin Bailey's.
MF- Pretty standard, but a little thicker than I was expecting.

Overall, I'm not a very big fan of this beer, nor will I seek it out again. The first taste was very off-putting, but it got a little better within the first few sips. However, by the end of it I was ready to be through. I would try another cherry chocolate beer, but the flavors in this one were just too artificial and candy-like for me. (735 characters)

2.23/5  rDev -29.7%

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Medium transparent brown with a thin head that is gone in a flash.
S: Smells like a cherry cordial candy, but in the same fake way. Waxy chocolate and syrupy maraschino cherries.
T: About like it smells. Cherry cordial with the chocolate and cherry both being somewhat fake.
M: Thin but smooth. Not bad but nothing special.
O: I can't say I'm a fan of this. It's okay for what it is, but so many beers have a more authentic chocolate flavor, and the cherry is clearly artificial flavoring and doesn't mesh well. Took a few sips for the review and the rest went down the drain. (617 characters)

2.26/5  rDev -28.7%

Still more bottles from this summer's trips west of the Mississippi...

This one pours a deep reddish dark copper with a tan frothy head. Some light lacing. Smells like...black cherry soda. Let me try that again...(sniff, sniff)...yeah, black cherry soda mixed with a malty pale ale. That's what it smells like. I am shuddering to see what it tastes like.

It tastes a lot like a bizarre radler of black cherry soda and pale ale. There's lots of extracty cherry flavor with the weird underlying chocolate extract flavor. The chocolate flavor is understated but is just odd in this beer (hell, maybe any beer). The cherry and chocolate flavors do not compliment or meld with the malt flavors (or even each other). They just sort of sit there on top like a plastic coating.

The mouth is surprisingly crisp with the light caramel malt. A bit sticky in the finish though. This is pretty much a mess. Take a pass. (910 characters)

2.28/5  rDev -28.1%

Poured from brown 12oz bottle to pint glass. No freshness date or bottling date.

A - The beer pours a slightly hazy brown red color. The head is a light tan color. 1/2 finger head with virtually no retention or lacing. Quickly settles to a slight film.

S - The aroma is that of a chocolate and cherry extract flavor you'd expect from baking not from beer. Doesn't seem real.

T/M - Same as the nose. Rather underwhelming. The cherry and chocolate taste is there and its strong. Dominates the palate throughout. The beer is light bodied and very crisp. I don't it's balanced at all. Watery.

D - Not at all.

Overall, this seems like a gimic and it does not work.

Reviewed on: 03-14-2011 01:23:32 (857 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -27.4%

I'm not a huge fan of cherry. I originally got this for my wife to try because I figured it would be one beer that she would be willing to try and she might actually like, but she said she didn't even want to try it.

The look, smell, and feel aren't bad at all. The smell is literally of a cherry Tootsie Pop. I thought going into it that I wouldn't like it because I don't really like cherry flavored stuff all that much. While the first couple of sips were pretty decent as time went on, it just got worse. If you love cherry, chocolate, and beer, you will love this. Like I said cherry just isn't my thing. (616 characters)

2.3/5  rDev -27.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looked interesting enough as an extra...at least the bottle did. Poured a brownish copper with a thin off-white head that faded quickly. Smell was nothing that reminded me of a beer, massive chocolate and hints of cherry. Both seemed somewhat artificial, though the bottle says with natural flavors added. The taste was interesting but only for a sip or two. I thought the flavor seemed too much like a candy drink and not enough like a beer. Thin, watery mouthfeel. I wouldn't drink more than one of these and it was actually tough for me to get through just one. Not a bad idea but I believe it could have been done much better. (640 characters)

Cherry Chocolate Beer from O'Fallon Brewery