Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

Pours a deep amber color with orange-ish hues, and a white head. In the aroma, seriously like a chocolate covered cherry. In the taste, like dinking a chocolate covered cherry with hints of coconut. A bitter chocolate and medium bodied mouthfeel, with a dry chocolate and cherry aftertaste. Kind of creamy, interesting with coconut hints. A good dessert beer.

2.69/5  rDev -14.3%

A- murky brown body with a large head that quickly fizzes itself to nothing. small bubbles racing to the top

S- like a chocolate tootsie pop tastes. artificial cherry with chocolate as well

T- like a very watered down way that it smells. more like a soda than a beer. the taste quickly vanishes from my mouth.

M- very thin and soda like with a huge level of carbonation

D- more of a novelty than anything, and not something that ill want to have again. one was almost more than i could handle.

3.1/5  rDev -1.3%

i remember kind of liking this beer the first time i tried it, but upon having it again, i am kind of disgusted. just bad flavors, like grenadine poured into a bad chocolate stout. i had a southern tier choklat a few days ago and that completely knocked me out compared to this.

1.4/5  rDev -55.4%

This beer pours a murky amber color. The head is two inches in height, and recedes quickly into minimal lacing. The aroma is of bakers chocolate with cherry juice. The taste leans more toward the cherry juice with a lingering aftertaste of bakers chocolate. The mouthfeel is on the lighter side of medium bodied with a lot of carbonation. Overall, this beer is a rancid drain pour. There is no possible way I will ever drink this again.

1.85/5  rDev -41.1%

A - This one comes in a nondescript bottle. I didn't even know that this was an O'Fallon brew when I picked it up. Some simple 1950's stylized cherries and "cherry chocolate" are the only things on the label. This one is a deep rhubarb pink with some good sized chunks of yeast floating around. The head is long lasting at about a finger, and consists of some nice thick strawberry flecked cream. Lots of nice thick lace sticks to the glass

S - Cherry Tootsie Roll Pop all up in yo' face. This smells like those chocolate covered cherry goopy candies that they sell at the counter in gas stations and supermarkets.

T - Aargh. Somehow the decent nose completely crashes on the palate. This reminds me of a cheap (Fanta?) chocolate flavored soda that I once had at my grandma's house. If I remember correctly, that soda, like this beer, tasted rather thin and fake for something chocolate flavored. Big rich dark chocolate works in a stout, but this is more of a flimsy pale ale with artificial flavors. The cherry just ends up tasting sour.

M - Super carbonated and thin, this is a lot like some sort of soda that I imagine was jerked at many a 1950's drug store lunch counter. The finish is neutral and clean with a sour twang of puckery cherry.

D - This isn't terrible, but is sure isn't good. This is more soda pop than beer. I thought that this was going to be a big rich chocolaty stout with a luscious cherry undertone. Instead, this is an over-carbonated

2.47/5  rDev -21.3%

Poured from 12oz to standard pint glass, pours a deep reddish brown, head fades

smells of waxy chocolate, light sweet cherry, malts and alcohol

taste is of tootsie rolls! bitter, malty, cherry flavor comes in a little sweeter than i'd like, a really strange brew - shared with my girlfriend's family and they were very surprised, her mother enjoyed it very much as she likes chocolate covered cherries.

mouthfeel is bitter and thin
One is enough, i wasn't interested in sessioning in the least.

Definitely a unique beer from O'Fallon!

2.95/5  rDev -6.1%

A- nice 1.5 finger head that slowly recedes to a thin cap. Nice ruby color with some nice yeast in suspension.

S- Chocolate Cherry's (of course) very malt driven. A bit of caramel.

T- Quite sour, lambic-esque/farmhouse, but not in a good way. Not really any chocolate or cherries other than a touch in the otherwise sour finish.

M- Cloying carbonation that is rough on the palette.

D- Not a great beer at all. If I want chocolate covered cherries, I will reach for a brother thelonius.

2.92/5  rDev -7%

Pours a dark brown with red hues and is somewhat clear. A very thin layer of off-white head appears and quicker than it come leaves the top of the glass with no lacing. This leaves an overall appearance of a glass of iced tea.

The aroma is of sweet chocolate, caramel, and a subtle marachino cherry. This beer smells more like a tootsie roll or a sundae than anything else.

Taste holds mostly chocolate notes. Creamly Caramel and cherry are also present, with a hint of coffee on the finish.

Mouthfeel is on the thin side with too much carbonation.

Drinkability is moderate due to low levels of alcohol and taste.

2.2/5  rDev -29.9%

Thanks to Jackie for pointing out the exact flavor of this beer... Cherry tootsie pops.

There's nothing inherently wrong with cherry tootsie pops. But some things just don't work well in beer. Fruity candies are one of them.

I was hoping there would just be a hint of the chocolate and cherry flavors, but it went overboard. Not only that, the choices for each were poor. It was much too sugary tasting, and I just didn't feel like finishing it.

3.5/5  rDev +11.5%

Served in a pint glass, the beer pours a murky mahogany brown with about a half-inch off-white head. Head retention and lacing are low. It smells like a mix of chocolate milk and a Tootsie Roll, along with a little bit of cherry syrup. It does taste like a chocolate covered cherry, and a bit like a Tootsie Roll and some bittersweet chocolate too. I think it's more chocolate than cherry. The flavor is unique, that's for sure. Mouthfeel/body is light/medium with good carbonation. Drinkability is OK, but this is obviously a dessert beer. I don't think I could drink any more than 2 of these in a sitting, and 1 is certainly enough. I liked this beer, it's certainly interesting. I'd drink it again, but I don't think this is something I could drink all the time. But it's definitely worth a try.

3.2/5  rDev +1.9%

Sort of caramel in color but not dark or thick-you could see through it. At first whiff I though I smelled something musty like wet grass. Swirling the drink around a bit in the glass that scent completely disappeared and the light aroma's of chocolate, homemade jam and I'm thinking a hint of bourbon too. Smell head that went away really fast. No retention, no lacing.
One the lips you can feel a little bit of a tart cherry bite as well as a chalky chocolate thing. It's the same in the mouth and on the tongue with the chocolate taking the lead and the cherry providing a nice follow up. The cherry stays on the back of the tongue when swallowed with the chocalate flavor hanging around the roof of the mouth.

2.94/5  rDev -6.4%

Poured a 12oz bottle into a Smokestack goblet. Poured a muddy brown with ruby tones. Aroma is of light syrupy cherries. Actually its more like cherry pie filling. Taste is like a chocolate covered cherry. Not really complex but hell you cant blame them of false advertising. Cherry and chocolate, straight up. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with light carbonation. It’s drinkable. More of a dessert thing.

2.85/5  rDev -9.2%

Picked up a 6-pack of the stuff to satisfy my girlfriend.

Pours a nice dark crimson with a cherry red color at the bottom of the glass. As the drink warms up I noticed the color turning to more of a dark brown with red highlights. Small white head shows up with a fairly aggressive pour but leaves fast. I didn't see any lacing.

Milk chocolate. I was a good foot away from the glass I poured it in and I still picked up the scent. There's just a hint of the cherry however.

Roasted almonds, which surprised me and definitely chocolate. In fact, the chocolate pretty much overpowers everything. I didn't pick up any cherry flavor. Not impressed.

Very carbonated. Very light. What's there in the aftertaste is all chocolate.

Disappointed that I couldn't taste any cherries. I won't be picking this up again for myself but if I'm ever in trouble with the Mrs., this just might get me out of the dog house!

3.79/5  rDev +20.7%

12 oz. bottle into a beer mug.

I rather enjoyed O'Fallon's Cherry Chocolate ale. The appearance was a bit lacking, I'll admit. My glass filled with a stale-brown colored ale. A thin, off-white head appeared and quickly vanished. The aroma, on the other hand, was quite appealing. Smelled a lot like a Tootsie Roll, with its candy chocolate and molasses notes. A hint of grenadine (cherry syrup) was detectable.

The taste was also quite chocolatey. Not in the crazy Russian Imperial Stout sense, but good nevertheless. Remembering that this is a Fruit/Vegetable beer, the cherry notes were a bit disappointing, but the cocoa, caramel, and maltiness made up for that fact in the flavor department. Mouthfeel was decent: the body was a bit thin, but had a nice carbonation level and was, overall, somewhat refreshing. Drinkability was on par for the style. Not amazingly complex, but went down easily and was rather tasty. I can't say that I'd ever buy this again, but I would recommend trying it at least once.

3.27/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from a 12 oz. bottle into a Sam Adams tasting glass.

The beer poured out a clear dark amber with almost no head. The smell is interesting - because it smells just like chocolate milk. Now the appearance seems strange, because with that smell - I would expect it to be opaque - not clear.

The taste is dominated by chocolate and toast flavors. I'm not getting much cherry at all. The mouthfeel is medium.

The drinkability is good in small doses. Honestly I had a very hard time finishing a whole glass of this.

2.26/5  rDev -28%

Still more bottles from this summer's trips west of the Mississippi...

This one pours a deep reddish dark copper with a tan frothy head. Some light lacing. Smells like...black cherry soda. Let me try that again...(sniff, sniff)...yeah, black cherry soda mixed with a malty pale ale. That's what it smells like. I am shuddering to see what it tastes like.

It tastes a lot like a bizarre radler of black cherry soda and pale ale. There's lots of extracty cherry flavor with the weird underlying chocolate extract flavor. The chocolate flavor is understated but is just odd in this beer (hell, maybe any beer). The cherry and chocolate flavors do not compliment or meld with the malt flavors (or even each other). They just sort of sit there on top like a plastic coating.

The mouth is surprisingly crisp with the light caramel malt. A bit sticky in the finish though. This is pretty much a mess. Take a pass.

3.54/5  rDev +12.7%

A- A clear mahogany.
S- The smell is indeed like a chocolate-covered cherry. The chocolate stands out, but hints of cherry and even a slight bourbon note.
T- If only this tasted like it smells. Chocolate malt up front with the cherry coming in the finish. No noticeable hop flavor. Unfortunately, the whole thing is rather dry, leaving a whiskey-like finish to the experience. The yeast is very clean, so no estery contributions.
M- Quite thin.
D- Given the slight body, definitely sessionable.

Overall- This is a great idea that's poorly executed. To me, the whole problem is the beer is it's so thin and dry. I think if they went with a decoction or otherwise made the beer maltier--along the lines of a Weizenbock--the cherries would be a wonderful contribution. However, it ends up too thin to really interest people looking for something exceptional, and too dry for those looking for a fruity summer beer. Hopefully they'll brew this again and bring the malt when they do.

2.89/5  rDev -8%

Have you seen "Super Troopers"? Rememeber the part where they drink the pancake syrup?

I wouldn't sit at home home and eat chocolate covered cherries all night. And thus, I would not sit at home and drink beer that tasted that way, either. This is a novelty beer that does a pretty good job of imitating a chocolate-covered cherry. I think I would drink one of these and then switch to something a little more conventional. It smells great, tastes good, and then you don't want another one. A six pack should last you about a month.

3.57/5  rDev +13.7%

Rustic orange with a small splash of cherry juice. I've always thought Cherry Chocolate Ale was a porter or a stout; how else to get good chocolate flavor? As it turns out, the brewery calls it a dark wheat ale. The beige cap isn't especially noteworthy, nor is what little lace makes its way to the glass.

I'm amazed that the aroma is such a dead ringer for chocolate-covered cherries. The only way O'Fallon could pull that off is to have added both chocolate and cherry extracts (okay, okay, 'natural flavors'). I'm not thrilled with the idea of any beer getting its entire olfactory personality from something other than malt, hops and yeast. It just seems wrong.

This is a decent little drinker that actually tastes like chocolate and cherries. It's lighter and more subtle than expected, but I'm not sure that's such a bad thing. However, I still think it would be a better beer if it was a full-bodied, cherry-accented, chocolate porter or cream stout.

Other than a glancing blow of bittersweet chocolate and a 'just right' amount of cherry flavor, there isn't much else going on. Nor does there need to be. I would have added more barley malt to make sure the beer favored sweet over bitter. This isn't the sort of ale that should be as balanced as this one is. Who ever heard of bitter chocolate-covered cherries?

Although the mouthfeel gains a little something with time and warming, it's still too light. I hate to repeat myself, but a creamy, melted chocolate-like beer is definitely the way to go. These guys brew an outstanding smoked porter, so I know they know their way around a mash tun. I still say my version would outsell this one with ease.

Chocolate Cherry Ale is pretty good beer, but it could be better than pretty good. I don't know of anyone who's brewing anything similar, so the door's open if they choose to walk through it. I'll recommend it for the novelty factor alone, even if I'll probably never buy it again.

3.28/5  rDev +4.5%

Cheers to Dauss for this one (my wife didn't like it!)

Pours a hazed chestnut with 1/2 light tan head. Lightest colored stout I've ever seen. Minimal lacing & zero head retention

S: Huge chocolate & cherry notes makes me think of cherry smash candy. I also get a little booze as it warms

T: Dryness with cocoa & cherry syrup up front. Chalkiness follows as this warms. Finishes dry, with Marciano cherry, brown sugar & cocoa powder

MF: Thin with minimal carbonation

Drinks okay, just a little too OTT to session on, but I could throw a couple down with dessert. Thought this was better the last time I had this

2.83/5  rDev -9.9%

this is an unusual beer. I think this falls into the love it or hate it category. I'm rating this in part on my wife's impressions combined with mine. She's a huge fan of chocolate and this one reminded her of hersheys milk chocolate.

A - Nice amber color, light tan head with.
S - Hersheys milk chocolate with an undertone of artificial cherries.
T - cherry disappears and really seems to be chocolate powder.
M - light to medium body, kind of thin.
D - neat to try, not a repeat drink in my book.

2.3/5  rDev -26.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This beer looked interesting enough as an extra...at least the bottle did. Poured a brownish copper with a thin off-white head that faded quickly. Smell was nothing that reminded me of a beer, massive chocolate and hints of cherry. Both seemed somewhat artificial, though the bottle says with natural flavors added. The taste was interesting but only for a sip or two. I thought the flavor seemed too much like a candy drink and not enough like a beer. Thin, watery mouthfeel. I wouldn't drink more than one of these and it was actually tough for me to get through just one. Not a bad idea but I believe it could have been done much better.

3.78/5  rDev +20.4%

O'Fallon's Cherry Chocolate Ale was an interesting idea, but the follow through comes across kind of candyish and fake. Not that it doesn't work as a kind of dessert beer, but there are so many other beers in that vein that can work on their own as well, and this one just doesn't. The cocoa leaps out at you in the nose but it seems kind of false, or at the very least, like cheap chocolate. Or is that just because the cherry is right behind it, giving it the aroma of a half-bitten chocolate covered cherry. Well, if that's the intent, they've nailed it. But it's sugary and candyish. There's no richness to it. But maybe I was just hoping for more. How? I don't know. Perhaps a touch of vinous dark fruit might have helped... some subtle lactobacillus or Brettanomyces? Maybe some more dark malt from a bit of English brown malt. Maybe less cherry and cocoa flavoring. But I digress, as that train of thought is moot. The beer itself has a very good appearance, a rich and full aroma, and an interesting flavor. It's well-balanced and rounded beyond the stiff caricature of chocolate and cherry it presents. It's a decent niche beer. 'Nuff said. Probably still worth at least trying to see if you like it.

2.78/5  rDev -11.5%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, beer is a dark cherry color with a two-finger, off-white head that quickly dies down. Smell reminds me of Rock n' Rye Faygo pop combined with a Tootsie pop... not at all like a beer. The taste is very similar to the nose with the chocolate, tootsie pop taste coming through the most. The mouthfeel is very light with a creamy, bubbly carbonation. The drinkablility is damaged due to the fact that it tastes more like a soft drink than a beer... unless you like that sort of thing. A good drink for girls who don't like beer.

2.2/5  rDev -29.9%

Dark brown ale pours with a bit of a tan head, but doesn't stay long. Cherry and chocolate in the nose, like a stale candy bar. The taste is ok, but feels very much over top of the beer and not integrated with it. Tried to put too much flavor on a watery beer--not enough malt to balance. Chocolate taste isn't very flavorful either. Still, the best beer from this brewery that I have listed.

Cherry Chocolate Beer from O'Fallon Brewery