Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Cherry Chocolate BeerCherry Chocolate Beer

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

(Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004)
NClifestyle

2.88/5  rDev -7.7%

pours up a hazy, muddy brown color. thin white head.
smell of cherry cough syrup with a touch of cocoa.
taste is cherry, but not really chocolate, maybe fake chocolate at best, but a weak ale flavor under all of this. quite sweet, no hops, but an acidic cherry aftertaste, thin brown ale flavor.
very fizzy, tons of carbonation.
slightly medicinal, but not horrible. fun to try. my girlfriend liked it better than i did.

cheers...

01-13-2006 06:08:04 | More by NClifestyle
WesWes

3.7/5  rDev +18.6%

The beer pours a hazy red color with a thick frothy offwhite head that fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a kick ass chocolate covered cherry scent that is very enticing. The taste is decent. It has an over the top cherry flavor with a chocolate finish. It goes down easy, but finishes bland and dry. The mouthfeel is decent also. It is a medium bodied beer with good carbonation. This is a pretty cool brew. I love the aroma, but the taste is a little much. It needs to have more body and more chocolate flavor (throught the use of malts). "E" for effort on this one.

01-09-2006 02:45:04 | More by WesWes
orbitalr0x

Hmm..Cherry Cholocate you say. This should be interesting. Pours from the bottle a dark cola color with hints of red and a thin bubbly white ring around the top. Almost looks like cherry coke in the glass. Aromas of..whoa...Tootsie Rolls!! Artificial candy chocolate with an underlying alcohol maraschino cherry aroma. The candy chocolate is nearly solvent like and stings my nose. A hint of caramel and roastiness barely break through. Really, really odd...I can't say it is appealing.

First sip brings the same artificial Tootsie Roll-esque chocolate flavor upfront along with an underlying cherry syrup flavor. Quite a malty brew with a touch of caramel. Sorta resembles drinking a chocolate covered cherry. A bit spritzy. The overall flavor of this brew just doesn't grab me...it just comes off a bit too off the wall.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with fast moving carbonation. Goes down smooth and is actually quite easy to drink. I'll be finishing this bottle but I don't intend to look for this one again. The flavors just don't work for me...you win some, you lose some!

12-21-2005 03:35:56 | More by orbitalr0x
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

4.03/5  rDev +29.2%

$2.00 micro bottle night at the Come Back In here in Madison. Those O'Fallon labels really do need to be made over...even Lake Louie's have more character and they're brewed in a dude's garage. Photoshop, guys...learn it.

Pours a creamy cola brown with a skim of off-white head. Nose reminded me of the chocolate soda I used to drink when I was a kid and the chocolate covered cherries I used to get in my Christmas stocking. Taste is a slightly muted version of the nose, sweet but not too sweet. Not the most natural flavors, but tasty nonetheless. Mouthfeel is a little thin, but makes for easy drinking. This really did taste like a soda to me, but in a good, nostalgic way. Could have been executed and crafted better, but a fun concept that actually tasted pretty good.

12-16-2005 02:00:27 | More by Golden2wenty1
Vancer

3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

This one is a quandary. The brew was pretty good, but the outside presentation was crap. That label is the worst on record (plain red with white/black lettering). No freshness date. And it states that artificial flavors were used! Don’t like that aspect of this brew at all – surmising the cherry and chocolate were not the real deal.

The actual pour was awful too, a murky brown, fast dying head – looks like dirty mud water. Aroma & taste of a light cherry chocolate were good, as stated before – not to heavy or sweet to be overpowering.

Just not to impressed with this one – even if as the label states :”Fresh – Local”

12-02-2005 20:49:37 | More by Vancer
neonbrown82

Nebraska

4.22/5  rDev +35.3%

I'm amazed. I usually am not a fan of fruity beers, but this one is intriguing to me. Tastes exactly like those chocolate covered cherries you get for Valentine's day.

The beer pours to a very cloudy chocolatey brown color with a cherry haze and a thin creamy white head. Very murky. Doesn't leave much in the way of lacing, and carbonation is not apparant through the turbidity.

The smell and taste is exactly what the beer advertises. Chocolate and cherries. I am under the impression that all the brewer did was puree those chocolate covered cherry candies and add a bit of water and alcohol. This does not seem to have any conventional beer flavors, aside from a slight suggestion of chocolate malt (though I believe most of the chocolate flavor comes from real chocolate).

The mouthfeel is quite clean and crisp with a medium to full body. No bitterness, no lingering aftertaste. Just a delightful and delectable treat. This will make a great dessert beer for the holidays.

I can't see why I am one of few people who actually liked this beer. It doesn't fail to deliver on the cherry or the chocolate, and it is far from offensive (and doesn't taste like artificial cherry or chocolate extract at that). Too rich to drink more than one in a setting? Possibly... but my biggest objection? Lameass label.

edit: makes a great stand-alone dessert beer, but try putting a scoop or two of vanilla ice cream in your glass. Amazing!

12-02-2005 05:34:38 | More by neonbrown82
Opethsprite

3.95/5  rDev +26.6%

After falling madly in love with O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale, I decided to get a couple singles of this Cherry Chocolate Ale. Sounds odd, but it's quite unique (in a good way).

The beer looks fairly good--a murky reddish brown color with an absence of any head at all. I *really* had to regroup, though, after seeing the brownish goop at the bottom of the bottle. NOT appetizing! It smells EXACTLY like some scratch 'n sniff book I had as a kid. Strange, huh? It's a very deep, burnt chocolate smell with a hint of hops and something sweet that could be considered cherry...if you have a good imagination. The scratch 'n sniff chocolate is there to taste with a strong aftertaste of cherry. Not fake, saccharine cherry, but real pits and all cherry! Pretty awesome! This is a great beer, but I can't imagine drinking more than one at a time. O'Fallon nails it again!

11-29-2005 02:44:15 | More by Opethsprite
goodbyeohio

Oregon

1.78/5  rDev -42.9%

thanks be to mark. amen.

i get the cherry and chocolate vaguely from the aroma, lots of smoky malt as well and some armpit funk. wet paper bags and some dog.

looks harmless enough.. reddish brown, clearer than i imagined. minimal head and nice lacing. scared and confused upon seeing something so... light. expected a stouty appearance.

cherry soda mixed with chocolate milk. that's exactly what this tastes like. and upon futher sips, this oozes cherry syrup as though im drinking a starbucks granita. very heavy in the back end, slightly alcoholic and evoking a heavy weight in my stomach. not sure i can drink this whole thing.

a noble experiment, and something new, but not something to repeat. cherry lovers will enjoy this, and the aftertaste reminiscent of laffy taffy. mind blowingly bizarre.

i dont hate it, but i would never drink another one as long as i both shall live. amen.

*barf*

09-11-2005 16:10:11 | More by goodbyeohio
UnionMade

2.38/5  rDev -23.7%

Canadian style, covered six pack, containing long necked, 12oz bottles. Plainly labelled, with no freshness dating on either the bottles or cardboard container.
The beer pours a hazy, reddish brown, topped with a heaping mass of large bubbled, ivory foam. A good deal of yeast remains caked in the bottom of the bottle. The head settles into an even coating, coincidentally forming a smiley face in the patches lacking head. No lacing.
The aroma is almost non-existant, aside from a light, musty whiff of cherries. Very grainy, almost like porridge, making me wonder if they crushed the grain into dust before brewing. Old, wet wood and cardboard.
The flavor opens with a wooden, musty, grainy malt flavor. Entirely unattractive. Faint cherry and a vague chocolate feel that could have been more faithfully produced with the addition of chocolate malts. The cherry is (I never thought I'd say this) too mild. Nearly non-existent, aside from a nearly indistinguishable fruitiness towards the finish. Grainy caramel malt, moving into a cocoa-like, unassuming finish. Dryish, retaining the barest semblance of chocolate. An ambiguous, parsley-like tang in the finish, sitting unwelcomed on the tongue for ages. An artifical chocolate, similar to the popsicles, lingers in the finish. The carbonation is so hyperactive it makes the beer ricochet off the palate. Lightish medium bodied, with a powdery, textured mouthfeel.
Kristi and I purchased a sixer of this stuff for $3.99 while we were in Denver. The price should have sent up about four red flags, but it was normally $7.49. I assumed it was close to or recently expired, but since it was fully encased in a cardboard box and in the cooler, I assumed it was relatively safe. For the price it was fine, but I can't imagine this being good straight off the conditioning tank.
If not for the grainy, musty feel, this might be drinkable. Kinda wierd and artificial feeling, but it's possible I could have finished a bottle were it not like drinking cherry chocolate sawdust. Not my favorite.

09-05-2005 04:21:41 | More by UnionMade
MaltyGoodness

2.85/5  rDev -8.7%

12 oz. bottle provided by beerhandy via BB&B BIF.

Pours a cloudy orange amber. I was expecting something a little more chocolatey in color.

Smells like a chocolate covered cherry. Very inviting.

Tastes mostly like a chocolate covered cherry, but maybe a bit too artificial. It is followed by an almost unpleasant cocoa aftertaste.

Body is just decent. I keep expecting a bigger body by the way that it smells, but it's just a medium bodied ale at heart.

I definitely enjoyed trying this, but would not make it a common guest in my fridge. Just something about the flavoring that doesn't sit quite right with me.

08-29-2005 01:37:10 | More by MaltyGoodness
mentor

Colorado

3.08/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle obtained from Total Beverage (Colorado) and consumed that same evening in August 2005. Pours an eager three finger head over a crystal clear dark amber colored liquid. Smells rich tall chocolate and a dry cocoa chocolate. Tastes rich tall chocolate and only a hint of cherry plus some coffee. The aftertaste has an acrid from carbonation. Md-light body and heavily carbonated. Yeah, it's wet sweet chocolatey. Easy drinking, not much else to say.

08-04-2005 04:10:55 | More by mentor
BEERchitect

3.68/5  rDev +17.9%

It's refreshing to find exciting new beers that actually have an emphasis on quality. It looks nicey viscous, brown with burgundy hues. A dainty head lowers to a trace. Aromas of...well..chocolate covered cherries. Bold in flavor, malty and caramelly sweetness provide a stable body while tart cheries and bittersweet chocolate create a complexity beyond the sweet. Roasted and toasted bread flavors soak up the sweetness. Not as thick to the mouth or as alcoholic as I had hoped. Finishes sweet, tart, with roastedness and toastedness. Not a crisp finish, it's one that lingers--a good thing for this style.

07-17-2005 18:19:40 | More by BEERchitect
CRJMellor

Arkansas

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a dark maber and brown with an off-white head that is reduced to really nothing soon after the pour.
Aroma has a heavy cherry liquor note, almost like a marachino with some sweet chocolate in the background.
Flavor is a bit more subdued with more of a brown ale taste, just a bit of chocolate behind some nuttiness. Cherry flavor is somewhat tart and really gets lots in the hodge podge of malt flavor being thrown around.
Mouthfeel is somewhat cloying on the finish and sort of leaves an overcooked sugary hit in the mouth.
Drinkability is about average with some decent tones. Combination of the cherry syrup used and the somewhat confused grain and malt bill just doesn't seem to draw together well.

07-15-2005 23:52:34 | More by CRJMellor
Brent

3.9/5  rDev +25%

Grabbed this because it was something I hadn't seen before. Then, for several weeks it was repeatedly pushed to the back of the beer fridge - I've not been too impressed with most cherry flavored beers I've had a chance to try, so I wasn't in a hurry to get to this one. Finally, the time came to take the plunge. I popped the top and saw a layer of brown sediment on top of the bottle. Looking inside, I saw a layer of brown sediment coating the neck of the bottle that looked like wet cocoa powder. I'm not sure I want to go on.

Poured a medium brown with some thin chocolate extract notes in the aroma. Despite the sediment coating the bottle neck, I didn't see much in the way of sediment in the pour. I decide to press on.

First sip, and a surprising "hey, this isn't bad" reaction. I rather expected a stout to be paired with cherry and chocolate, but this is simply a dark ale. Mouthfeel is rather light. I don't really detect much distinct cherry flavor other than some slightly acidic fruit juice. The chocolate, however, is unmistakable. It is an artificial extract flavor, like a canned chocolate diet soda or gum I remember when I was a kid. Nonetheless, the beer was quite engaging - I found myself liking it quite a bit, but I don't know why. Unusual - and I wouldn't buy a bunch of this, but is made for an interesting after dinner beer.

07-13-2005 19:41:29 | More by Brent
mntlover

Tennessee

3.18/5  rDev +1.9%

Pours a light brown mixed with a dark amder with a nice tan head opps its gone that quick.

Aroma is crystal malt infused with a couple of chocolate covered cherries kind of strange. Just looking at the bottle I was expecting a stout for some reason, just thing chocolate going with cherries sounded like a good stout.

Taste is a average ale infused with weak chocolate covered cherries, light chocolate with a lingering cherry flavor that fades out to nothing. Very strange beer will say its different but sometimes being different isn't good.

Mouthfeel is on the light side decent amount of carbonation.

Drinkability is not great don't see any reason to pick this up unless you just want to try something no one else is trying, weak chocolate covered cherries beeer. Thanks go to merlin48 for this sample.

06-07-2005 18:08:44 | More by mntlover
beergeek279

3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

Served from the 12 oz. bottle into a dimple pint. The color is a dark amber, with a nicely lingering foamy white head. The smell is like a cordial with a very, very sweet smell of, well chocolate and cherry. The taste, on the other hand, just doesn't really hit the mark, with the chocolate and cherry muddling together into the brown ale-ish base, and leaving a cloying aftertaste on the tongue. Mouthfeel is very nice and creamy. As for drinkability, as I said this is just too much for sustained drinking.

Thanks to for the beer from the NCAA tournament pool. I can say that this is a very well-crafted beer, with a fantastic head and body with a smell that I could enjoy all day. Unfortunately, the taste doesn't gel that well with the brown ale beer (though this would be a tremendous stout flavoring). I'm glad to give it a try and I'm looking forward to trying the other O'Fallon beer, but this just isn't me.

05-28-2005 00:12:39 | More by beergeek279
Domingo

Colorado

2.93/5  rDev -6.1%

One of the most unique beers I've ever had.
I was expecting something much darker, but it pours a reddish amber color but with bronze highlights.
The smell is definitely chocolate, but with a slight hint of malt and a little sweet fruit...although not immediately identifiable as cherry.
The taste is VERY unique. It's slightly sweet, not Lambic-level, but still moreso than a typical fruit beer. There's a little bit of malt flavor but it's VERY chocolatey. I've had lots of beers that claim to be chocolate flavored (a la the Samuel Adams) but this is the first one to truly capture it. It's like nothing I've ever had before. The cherry flavor really only appears as a faint aftertaste, but it's certainly there.

The beer feels very thick in your mouth. It just feels very thick/heavy and warm...no matter how chilled it might be. Personally I didn't care for that aspect, but to each their own!

The beer is a treat to taste, but I think about 1/4 of one is all I could ever handle just because of the thickness of it. I bought a 6-pack of this and I think I ended up throwing out half of it just because one is enough. They should've sold this one in bombers instead.

I think everyone should try this at least once just because it's guaranteed to be like nothing you've ever had before. Again, this really should've been in singles.

04-27-2005 23:14:00 | More by Domingo
bditty187

Nebraska

3.55/5  rDev +13.8%

Brown, coppery-red in hue, there is a slight haze to the liquid (this is most noticeable when backlit). Minimal animation. The head was off-white in color; at the apex the foam was one finger in height. Head retention was poor as it faded quickly to a thin, soapy collar, which exposes the liquid in the middle. The subsequent lacing was so spotty I don’t even know why I mentioned it. Overall, the appearance is solid, I was expecting a darker beer but by no means does the color concern me. It is attractive.

The nose smells like a malted ball with cherries infused and coated in chocolate. It is very candy-like in aroma but not in a bad way. The potency is moderate, I can clearly understand the aromas but there isn’t much to them. It is simplistic but inviting.

The palate is very much like the nose. It tastes like a malted ball with cherries infused and coated in chocolate. Add in a tickle of grain and some dull warmth. Again, like the nose, the palate is very candy-like. What do you do with a beer like this? Drink it solo? I guess… for dessert. I could pair this with some vanilla ice cream and maybe some cheese cake. I know I couldn’t drink more then one in a setting. The aftertaste is very long and this kind of hurts the flow of the beer (odd I say that, I like aftertaste). Overall, the palate is simplistic and enjoyable to a point.

Medium in body, the carbonation is moderate and natural, the mouthfeel is kind of firm but I think it fits the beer well. If there was a sluggish mouthfeel it would really be hard to drink, as is, I’m good to drink one at a time. The mouthfeel is pleasant.

Speaking of drinkability, well, like I’ve wrote a few times. One bottle a night is my max. This beer is tasty but it is “too rich for my blood,” if you will. I like it. I don’t love it. By the way, my younger sister (who only likes fruit beers like New Glarus Belgian Red) likes it. Take that for what it is worth. I purchased a six-pack in Parkville, MO. This will be a one-time purchase… maybe I’d try it on-tap with dessert if the opportunity arises.

04-26-2005 12:58:40 | More by bditty187
kmpitz2

Tennessee

3.35/5  rDev +7.4%

This beer pours a slightly amber brown color with a finger of head that falls to coat the top of the beer. The nose is like candy. Lots of sweet cherry and chocolate. Wow. Very sweet. The flavor is More chocolatey than the nose would say. The first flavor is like a weak hopless amber, but it fades quickly behind the chocolate. Sweet cherry comes through more on the finish. Eh. The feel is light to moderate with a good carb. Overall, this is an interesting beer. I'm not the biggest fan of it, but it would definately work well if you were serving to those that don't like beer.

03-02-2005 23:13:48 | More by kmpitz2
merlin48

Kentucky

Brewery's website describes this as a dark wheat seasonal novelty produced only in January and February. This pours from a 12 oz bottle a hazy, odd colored, brown body that is close to bottled tea. Small offwhite head quickly falls into a film and no lacing is left on the glass. Aroma is mostly milk chocolate, with subdued notes of cherries. Mouthfeel is light bodied, with prickly high carbonation. The taste is sweetish essence of milk chocolate. No sensation of malts or hops here. The sweet cherry essence is sensed, but is subdued. This is not a bad beer, and I like chocolate and cherry flavors, but this is very one dimensional and the chocolate and cherry notes seem forced and out of place. I applaud small breweries like O'Fallon who like to experiment with new styles, and their Pumpkin Ale was very nice. This one was like drinking a pale ale infused with chocolate covered cherry essence, and it doesn't work for me. Very strange beer in taste, aroma, and appearance. Worth a try because it is unlike anything I've ever tasted, but I would really have to have a huge craving for chocolate cherry beer to want to have another.

02-24-2005 11:10:49 | More by merlin48
clvand0

4.22/5  rDev +35.3%

I was impressed with O'Fallon's Pumpkin Ale when it came out, so I felt comfortable with this pick. It poured a very odd color. It was a somewhat transparent, but murky brown - somewhat like it was pale, but then you added something brown to the light mixture. Small, but lasting head. Not much lacing. The aroma follows the odd trend. Lots of cherry aroma with some sweet chocolate in the background. Nice. The flavor was very much the same. Has an apparent cherry flavor, but without any tartness that one usually gets from cherries. The chocolate flavor in this one was much more like a milk chocolate flavor than a chocolate malt, leading me to believe they used a sweet chocolate extract. Very nice. The chocolate flavor sticks around in the mouth, giving it a cloyingly thick mouthfeel. Very drinkable, but too odd to be a session beer. I enjoyed this one a lot. Very odd, but very good too.

02-11-2005 18:04:23 | More by clvand0
ghurux86

Missouri

3.98/5  rDev +27.6%

pours a cloudy medium color with an almost white head that lingers around for a decent amount of time. doesn't leave much lacing if any.
smells great, like chocolate and cherries, and maybe a little yeast and malt.
taste is pretty good as well. chocolate, cherries, malt, and a little hoppiness in the end.
mouthfeel is pretty good, but not magnificent. medium bodied, with little carbonation, but nowhere near flat tasting.
it is pretty drinkable, but it seems that after a few in a row i may feel the need to switch to something else, definitely good and i would drink it again, i'm just not sure about all night.

01-19-2005 06:54:18 | More by ghurux86
swamiswamu

Indiana

I was pretty weary of this one, but in short it isn't too bad. The short head disapates pretty quickly and leaves behind a golden tan color. The taste is typical of a pale ale, but it leaves behind a candied bouquet. It is an interesting idea and I give them a lot of credit. Greatest beer ever? no. Unusual and worth a chance? yes.

10-25-2004 19:45:24 | More by swamiswamu
jimdkc

Missouri

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%

This beer is from the tiny (6 employees!) O'Fallon Brewery just west of St. Louis, Missouri. Usually when one thinks of chocolate and cherry flavors in beer, one tends to think of a dark. thick stout. This beer takes a different approach: O'Fallon has used something akin to a pale ale as the base of their Cherry Chocolate Ale. It pours a dark amber color which is hazy from yeast and/or chocolate. A smallish tan head fades pretty quickly and leaves no lace. Aroma is of malt and chocolate with a bit of yeast and maybe a slight hint of cherry. I really liked the smell of this beer! Taste starts like a typical pale ale but you quickly notice the chocolate which is the predominant flavor. A natural light cherry flavor is apparent, too. The cherry is not artificial or medicinal tasting at all! The flavors are also not sweet or cloying in the least. Hops are present, but quite subdued to let the chocolate and cherry flavors come through. Mouthfeel is pretty light as is typical of pale ales. Pretty drinkable, but I don't think you'd want 3 or 4 of these in a row. I'd say this is very unusual for a chocolate/fruit flavored beer, and definitely worth a try. I'd buy it again as a novelty or as a light dessert beer.

08-01-2004 08:04:27 | More by jimdkc
ngandhi

3.6/5  rDev +15.4%

It isn't thick, rich, or sweet. It isn't boring or interesting. It isn't really beer nor is it too fruity. It's not aggressive in any way nor is it made for jessies.

This is a pale ale -- amber in color but w/out any noticeable crystal malt -- that's virtually unhopped. Thin, but completely to style, it utilizes a fully attenuated grain bill and is doused with cherry and chocolate extract. It isn't chalky from the chocolate and it doesn't taste like cough syrup.

I'm defeating my own assumptions about this beer. Don't get me wrong -- I hate it -- but it's made a fool of me and this review is my penance.

The nose is strictly and purely Hershey's Kisses. Not Hershey's Kiss w/ Almond, not Nestle Crunch, not Valrhona or Ghiradelli -- Hershey's Kiss. In fact, not just Hershey's Kiss, but an entire plastic Easter egg filled with Hershey's Kisses (thanks, Lynda).

And the taste is an odd mix of that same mediocre milk chocolate and a borderline-medicinal-but-still-really-quite-good cherry extract. Cherry Kool-Aid? Here the cough syrup comparisons might begin, but, because of the wonderful (albeit obviously phony) backbone of chocolate, the cherry is well supported and pleasant. Indeed, I'm left with a long, long finish of chocolate and . . . what's that? . . . Fine -- a long finish of chocolate covered cherries. Cookies?

Surely, the chocolate covered cherries is what this beer is going for and I'm stunned at how perfectly it has achieved it. Again, not in a way that's at all rich or even satisfying -- the flavors are thin -- but spot on.

I hate this beer. I swear.

Relax, relax.