Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

Cherry Chocolate BeerCherry Chocolate Beer

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

P- Thanks to Ray for this brew

A- a red and amber color that is clear. Minimal head and minimal carbonation.

S- smells is sweet milk chocolate. alcohol/grain is also present right behind the chocolate. Smells like a chocolate covered cherry.

T- it tastes like one as well and mixing that with alcohol isnt the greatest but it is interesting. Think of dropping a chocolate cover cherry into grain alcohol and letting it dissipate.

M- cherry chocolaty, not bad. light bodied and somewhat creamy.

O- after getting through the first couple gulps it isnt bad. it starts to feel like you are sucking on a chocolate cherry.

1.84/5  rDev -41.8%

A: Pours light brownish-red with a small head and only a bit of lacing.

S: Chocolate is extremely apparent with a faint hint of cherry; alcohol is overbearing and lends a strong medicinal scent.

T: True to smell -- artificial chocolate flavoring mixed with cherry cough syrup. The alcohol takes over after the first moment and is simply overpowering.

M: Medium bodied with low carbonation.

O: Not very good -- the mix of flavors here is enough to invoke a bit of nausea. I couldn't finish one, so multiple are out of the question. It might be one to pour into 4-5 glasses and let everybody taste, but not much more.

3.41/5  rDev +7.9%

Random pick at Beer Crazy.

Pours a cloudy tan color with very little foam. The aroma is full of chocolate and a hint of cherry, no room for anything else. The taste is a let-down. There is a hint of cherry, some light malt, and that's about it. There's a slight dryness, and the body seems thin. There isn't much to this one. If it followed up with the aroma this would be an awesome beer, but alas, tis not.

2.92/5  rDev -7.6%

Bottle poured into a pint glass

A: More cherry in color than chocolate. It pours an amber hue with a gray/brown fizzy head.

S: Smells exactly like a cherry tootsie roll...

T/M: ...Tastes a lot like one, too, just a little lighter with a watery finish.

I imagine this is an example of beer brewed with flavor extracts. It's more of a novelty beer like Banana Bread or something. I don't know, it's still kind of interesting.

Poured this Fruit Beer from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. It poured a cloudy reddish amber color, produced a nice beigh head, good retention, and it left some lacing on the glass. The aroma was very nice, strong smell of chocolate and a nice dose of cherry.The taste of this ale was medium in body, had a nice base of chocolate, and a distinct cherry flavor. It tasted somewhere between a tootsie roll and a chocolate covered cherry. This was a decent unique beer, I have not had one like this- Great session beer, if your looking for something outside of the box and unique- check out this brew, Prost!

3.3/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into a mug.

It's a clear, bronze color. Head dispersed quickly leaving a ring of foam and little to no lacing.

It smells just like chocolate cherry cordials.

It tastes like cherry chocolate cordials. There;s a bit of malt in the back. Little hops can be found at all.

It's a tad thinner than medium bodied and it's got a pretty crisp carbonation.

Overall, this is an interesting dessert beer. I like it better than chocolate cherry cordials because those have that awful, goey center. But I guess I don't really care for the flavor of them either.

2.13/5  rDev -32.6%

A-Pours a light chocolate color with a finger of white head.

S-Smells of huge notes of Luden's cough drops and Tootsie Rolls.

T-Sweet cherry and light notes of tootsie roll followed by maybe the slightest hint of bitterness.

M-Light bodied with a prickly, light carbonation.

D-Drinkability is pretty low for me; the elements of this beer that stand out are flavorings used with a weak base beer.

3.29/5  rDev +4.1%

Poured from bottle to an imperial pint. Not sure, but I believe there is a julian date stamp that would indicate bottling on 10/28/2011. Website indicates that this beer has a dark wheat ale as its base.

A: Thin tan head. Chestnut in color with a little bit of particulate.

S: A great nose for a fruit beer. Smells like a cordial cherry or a cherry mash, if you're from my part of the country and know what that is. Maraschino cherry, milk chocolate, and a hint of nuttiness.

T: Wheat, tart bing cherry, milk chocolate, malt. No hops to speak of. Tastes artificial, consistent with the candy nose.

M: A bit thin-bodied and watery with a tart bite. A bit more dextrous than many wheats, but still feels watered down.

O: Not a big fan of beers with fruit extracts added, but O'Fallon takes a novelty approach here and pulls it off fine. If you want a pint of chocolate cherry candy flavored beer, this is the one for you.

2.81/5  rDev -11.1%

Poured into a standard pint glass. Pours a see-through brownish ruby red. The head goes away eventually, but a thin film of light cream colored bubbles sits there for a while. No lacing. This beer smells like cherry cordials. It also smells a bit boozy and alcoholic. The beer tastes very medicinal. Again, the booze appears, even at only 5.7%. Whoever said it tastes like a cherry tootsie roll is right, and once you get that thought in your mind, you are doomed. I suppose cherry cordial is much more elegant, but still ... The mouthfeel is light and watery. Overall, I've had 7.5% ABV beers that taste and smell less alcoholic than this one. It has a pungent sting to the smell and flavor that I do not like. It's a neat dessert beer, if you have ONE, once ... but otherwise, don't go for the sixer.

3.08/5  rDev -2.5%

I picked up a bottle of O'Fallon's Cherry Chocolate Beer a few days ago for $1.79 at The Lager Mill. This is the first time I have seen this beer and I have never heard of O'Fallon Brewery before, so I thought I would take a chance on them and give this beer a try, so lets see how it goes. No visible freshness date. Poured from a brown 12oz bottle into a pint glass.

A- The label is a plain and a little tacky, looks more like a cherry soda pop then it looks like a beer. It poured a caramel like copper color that was somewhat muddy looking. with only a half a fingers worth of off white head that quickly died down to a very thin ring. Not a good looking beer, that's for sure.

S- Wow this thing smells exactly like a cherry tootsie pop, I can't believe how similar this smells to the sucker, I haven't encountered something like this before. It starts off with a chocolaty aroma that is very similar to a tootsie roll and smells like it has a high amount of sweetness. Next comes the cherrys that smell more like cherry syrup then fresh cherrys, there's also a little bit of booze in there too. A pretty odd smelling beer that smells just like a cherry tootsie pop.

T- The taste is pretty damn similar to the aroma. It starts of with the malts which have a medium amount of sweetness to them and impart a caramel and dark chocolate flavor that is quickly followed by some cherry syrup, then some more chocolate. The chocolate is the most dominating flavor but the cherry still does a pretty good job of showing up. The finish is smooth with an aftertaste of chocolate and malts. Its a little watery, it needs some more richness to it.

M- Slightly smooth, on the medium side of being light bodied and it had a low amount of carbonation. It needs to be thicker so it doesn't feel so watery and the carbonation needs to be bumped up a couple notches.

Overall I thought this was an OK beer, I couldn't see drinking this beer on a regular basis, but to me it makes for a good once in a while desert beer. I was really surprised how much it smelled and tasted like a cherry tootsie pop, it really blew my mind how close the two are, seems like this should have a Short's label on it or something. It went down somewhat smooth so the drinkability was OK, but I think one of these would be enough for me. What I like most about this beer was the aroma, it was exactly like a cherry tootsie pop and that happens to be my favorite flavor of tootsie pop so I enjoyed it. What I liked least about this beer was it's look and the mouthfeel, with a muddy appearance and hardly any head it didn't look too appealing in my pint glass, and the mouthfeel was too thin and under carbonated. I think I will buy this beer every once in a while but it for sure won't be a regular pick up for me. If you like experimental and food like beers this is worth a try but if you are expecting a chocolaty stout with cherry's you are going to be disappointed. I didn't know what to expect from this beer and in the end I didn't love it, but I didn't hate it either. This was an OK first impression for O'Fallon, this beer doesn't inspire me to go out and try all the O'Fallon beers I can find but if I see some of their beers around and they look interesting I will give them a shot. For now I deem this beer a liquid cheery tootsie pop.

1.93/5  rDev -38.9%

Bought this because my daughter liked the label. Here we go...

A: opaque, reddish brown. (Want to say chocolate brown, but that might be the label talking to me.) Weak head, little retention or lacing.

S: like a chocolate-covered cherry, which in itself is nice, but it scares me to think about how it tastes. The really unpleasant part of the smell is the alcohol fumes that mix in with the candy smell.

T: not good. Actually tastes okay up front, dry with a bit of hop bitterness. But then the flavoring kicks in. I can't figure out what this beer needs to make the cherry notes work, but it's not there. Leaves sort of a waxy aftertaste, too.

M: the alcohol fumes I notice in the nose figure in an unpleasant, medicinal way here. For all the sweetness, my mouth feels the way it does after I use mouthwash.

I just don't have a lot of nice things to say about this beer. I'm trying to think of it in the context of the style, but regardless of whether or not the concept's flawed, the execution definitely is. Glad this is a single bottle from a mix-a-six.

3.69/5  rDev +16.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

This beer was poured into a tulip glass.

Appearance- The body is honey-brown with golden highlights. There are a few streams of carbonation seen in the body. Can't really see through this one, but it is not opaque. The head barely got to a finger width before dying and only leaves a slight ring of off-white, brown tinged foam around the edge of the glass.

Smell- Wow, that is exactly what chocolate covered cherries smell like when you have bit into that sugary center. A big milk chocolate note, some sweet toffee, and cherry rounding it out.

Taste- The nose does not transfer as well to the palate, bummer. There is a little hint of chocolate in the beginning, taken over by the cherry syrup and some grainy malt. The finish is long on the slight chocolate and a biscuity malt flavor.

Mouth feel- Definitely too thin for what smells like a very decadent beer. The carbonation is not handled very well. It is really close to lifting up the beer and making it creamy, but as it is, just a tad watery and thin.

Overall- This beer was enjoyable if only for the nose that did a wonderful job of portraying chocolate cherry. Once it hit the palate though, it starts to lose you. The flavors are not big enough and slightly unbalanced, and the mouth feel does not come close to doing this beer justice.

3.99/5  rDev +26.3%

A. Pours out a brown hue with some reddish highlights. Has a thick off white head that quickly disappears with no lacing or retention.
S. The smell reminds me of chocolate covered cherries such as turtles and tootsie rolls.
T. The taste starts out with some caramel and roasted chocolate followed by some cherry in the back with more chocolate. Reminds me of drinking a liquid candy bar.
M. The mouthfeel is a light body that has a thin watery feel that just doesn't do much.
O. Overall, this is a good tasting beer that I could enjoy sometimes. I just wish it had more body to it.

3.21/5  rDev +1.6%

Weird mix on my reviews. I wanted to grade this beer for its intentions and I think other reviews were unfair.

The apprearance is a brown with a thin tan head that fades fast but leaves ok lace.

The aroma is amazing. It smells like the cordials my grandfather gave my grandmother for Valentines. It smells exactly like they intended. Milk chocolate and marchino cherries. A slight vanilla hint.

The taste is totally disappointing. Hints of chocoalate are nice in an overall average amber beer taste with cherry extract. Nothing complicated and very imitation tasting.

The mouthfeel is average. Not watery, but thin enough.

Overall, I won't buy again.

1.93/5  rDev -38.9%

With a little message "will this beer live up to your expectations?" I eagerly uncap and pour this beer into my 10 ounce pint glass. Its the perfect match-up while viewing the end of the MLG finals.

Great head formation, TONS of lilypad formations of carbonation seen from above, and a thick white collar. The retention of the head is minor, unfortunately. It laces appreciably, but nothing spectacular. Cold honey colored body makes me wonder about this beer.

Oh, what is that aroma? It is so familiar. I am trying ever so hard to pinpoint it. It is so familiar. I know this flavor. Its so familiar... Its bright butterscotch and caramel with some similarities to fruity pebbles. Relatively clean and singular. Monochromatic with the butterscotch sweetness being almost over attenuated. It also smells insanely similar to a Diet Chocolate Soda my grandma absolutely killed for. What the hell was that name... Google revealed it to be Canfield's. Shit was absolutely TERRIBAD.

Do not like. Nope. Definitely not. Opens up sweet, strong sweetness. Juice level of sucrose here. It starts out sharp sweetness that reminds me of a simple syrup with tartness. It becomes tangible and identifiable as a butterscotch and caramel flavor erupts and... cocoa? Is that really... no... it... It is! Aspartame mingled in a cocoa flavoring. I swear if you poured canfield's into a bottle and resealed it... It peaks quite fast and dissipates before I have ease of interpretation. It takes many sips to understand just what this beer resembles. Finish is clean for the most part with a cellulosic nature. Very simple, but not what I would call tasty. For all of its identifying flavors, they aren't the gourmet or desirable types.

Take your favorite memory of sucking on a hard butterscotch candy given to you by your ever-generous great aunt after she slaved away making these amazing little confections. Then imagine she sold the recipe in the best interests of sharing her love with the world to a blood-sucking, heartless conglomerate who turned it into a mass-produced generic lump of terror that children can buy for a few nickels. That end-product resembles what I imagine the bland interpretation of these classic flavors to be. Flea market brand butterscotch candy dipped in expired cocoa powder packet from a mystery box.

Thin, watery, and disjointed. Nothing mingles, just stages that are clearly defined from one another by slaps to my tongue. Lacks the power to linger on my palate, but leaves me feeling like a piece of hair floated and stuck to my lips. Annoying, in short.

I do not like this beer. I imagine this as being a kill shot, I really really think it is. I think of this as just an ale brewed with maybe honey or butterscotch drizzle? Whatever it is, I would not like to try this again if possible.

O'fallon Cherry Chocolate beer. Natural flavors my ass! This tastes absolutely horrendous. I think I may appreciate Canfield's Chocolate Fudge soda a bit more than this beverage. I understand the sharp sweetness at first to be the cherry, and the more I realize it the more I understand this definitely tastes like aspartame, cheap cocoa, and cheap beer all in one glass.

2.75/5  rDev -13%

A- poured into a pint glass with a brief off-white head that quickly diseased. Body color was and Orange-brown amber.

S- basically chocolate and cherries. Milk chocolate, and cherry cough syrup aroma. Almost no other aroma is discernible.

T- tastes just like it smells like a combo of cherry cordial with a cherry cough syrup center.

M- the flavor hits, but is very watered down besides the artificial favoring. After a minute you can barely tell it was ever there.

D- overall this came of as a theme beer that hits you hard with artificial flavor, but almost no other beer flavor.

2.69/5  rDev -14.9%

12oz into taster.
A: A semi clear body, that has a light brown color to it. The light tan head pours with a rise, than settles to a thin layer. Lacing is minimal, but still present.
S: The aroma is on the lighter side, but does show notes of chocolate and cherry extract. A bit of a off putting aroma.
T/M: A light body and a clean and crisp mouthfeel, all the flavors really are shown, but does not seem to work well together with the other aspects of the brew. To light on the body and a bit of a watery finish.
D: Not something that I would drink again, but still interesting brew. I feel that if the base beer would have been a heavier style, the chocolate and cherry flavors would have worked better.

3.05/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle. Pours a hazy amber with a medium creamy white head that retains well.

The aroma is sweet dark fudgy chocolate and cherries.

The flavor is sweet cherries and fudgy chocolate. The mouthfeel is thin to medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, it's basically chocolate covered cherries masquerading as beer. It's a bit on the sweet and decadent side for me to drink a lot of.

2.72/5  rDev -13.9%

A: Hazy redish, brown with a 1.5 inch thick and steady head; lacing is decent

S: Sickly sweet cherry and chocolate--hard to get anything else; like chocolate covered cherry candies dumped in the beer; some alcohol presence and maybe some malt characteristics but way too much sweet, sweet, cherry candy

T: Tastes like chocolate covered cherries; some subtle roasted malts; not as sweet as aromas indicated but fairly simple beyond the obvious two flavors

F: Fairly creamy although the beer dissipates off the back of the tongue somewhat unpleasantly

D: Well...it's interesting but way too one dimensional for me; I've had enough

2.73/5  rDev -13.6%

pours a beer bottle brown with a small tanish head that leaves a little lacing.

smells faint of some fresh chocolate with a hint of cherry and caramel. almost like a candy.

taste is better than expected you definitly taste the cherry with some chocolate moderate carbonation.

mouuthfeel doesnt remind me of a "beer" but more like candy with some beer in it but isnt horrible.

this beer is not all that drinkable because of the candy kick to it but i did finish it so it isnt all that bad just not my cup of beer.... i mean tea ha ha

3.61/5  rDev +14.2%

12 oz bottle with Julian date inkjetted on the neck.

Pours a slightly translucent, dark-tea brown. A surprisingly whitish/pinkish head disappears quickly, and there is NO carbonation to seek of. In a nutshell, the look is no-so-good. Smell reminds me of nothing else but a chocolate-covered cherry. Amazing accuracy there. Taste starts off chocolatey and delves into some bitterness and a few hops until resolving itself with the sweet twang of cherries. Mouthfeel is flat, but too much carbonation would border on flavored seltzer water, I believe. While it's pleasing to drink a bottle, this is *not* a session beer! Yet in the end, this is a well-crafted beer that is exactly what it states on the label. If you like chocolate-covered cherries, this one is a no-brainer.

4.56/5  rDev +44.3%

Serving: Poured into a pint glass while watching the Bears lose to the Packers. Needed something sweet to take the sour taste away! Served refrigerator cold.

Appearance: A hazy caramel brown. This is described as a "dark wheat beer" by the brewer so the look is as expected. An aggressive pour yielded a nice 2 finger head of off-white creamy foam that quickly backs off. Almost no lacing.

Smell: Un-stinking-believable! This stuff nails it perfectly. Very strong. The smell is exactly what it should be...chocolate covered cherry candy. No hop scent present.

Taste: I could not wait to taste this after the smell. The flavor does not disappoint. This tastes exactly as advertised...chocolate covered cherry!! Nothing complex here. No hops...very moderate sweetness from the malt. The rest is candy. The cherry is not overly powerful and sour as with many cherry beers. This is good! The chocolate is not Swiss gourmet chocolate. It is a generic chocolate covered candy type chocolate. In fact...it reminds me a bit of the flavor in the old Canfield's Chocolate soda for those that remember it. Another way to describe it might be like a cherry-chocolate phosphate with body. Anybody that has ever had a phosphate will know what I am talking about here. Very enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Creamy & smooth. Carbonation is just right.

Drinkability: This is a delicious drink that goes down easy! With an ABV of 5.7%....it goes unnoticed. I downed this very quickly with some double chocolate chip cookies.

Overall: I'll start by saying that I am not a big fruit beer fan. That said; this beer hits a home run with me. Not because it is a world-class beer....but because it is a highly enjoyable beverage. Also...because it is exactly what it sets out to be. A beer that nails its flavor spot on. Many may not like this brew, but "it is what it is"...and does it perfectly. A great job of brewing for a flavor profile IMHO. A great dessert beer that would pair well with any sweet chocolate cake, pastry, or cookies. I found this so intriguing that I went out and picked up another 6-pack of this seasonal for $10.99. Well done, O'Fallon!! I recommend this if you are looking for something different. Not much beer flavor but certainly nothing objectionable. Dessert fun in a bottle! Anyone that remembers the days of chocolate phosphates will love this beer. I would keep this in my fridge year-around if it were available.

2.17/5  rDev -31.3%

Appearance: Straight pour into a pint glass. The color is a murky brown; it almost looks like it was brewed with unfiltered Mississippi River water. Two fingers of off-white head developed and dissipated quickly to leave a spotted lacing and ring around the edge. There was some yeast sedimentation at the bottom of the bottle, so I guess this truly is a type of wheat beer.

Smell: Chocolate covered cherries. Definitely. The cherry, though, smells more like the processed syrup used at ice cream shops. Very sweet and enticing, and there is also a hint of vanilla.

Taste: Okay... That's interesting. The dominant flavor is the chocolate covered cherries from the smell, but the taste is not as potent as the aroma; it is masked by an unpleasant element, which reminds me of cream soda or another kind of carbonated beverage. I love cream soda, but not in beer. Very watered down and thin.

Drinkability: Perhaps this is a bad bottle, but this stuff is just not good. It smells great, but the taste is something else. I'll give them props for the effort, though. I am thankful I did not get a sixer. One bottle is enough.

3.35/5  rDev +6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

Picked up a couple bottles of this one for my wife on Christmas eve, and split one with her later that night. Poured a deep, dark red amber with a medium off-white head. Aroma here is all cherries and chocolate, very sweet and syrupy. On the palate, somewhat cloying, medium bodied, again, all cherries and chocolate, remeniscent of a sickly sweet chocolate covered cherry candy. Not bad, but a few ounces goes a long way here.

3.47/5  rDev +9.8%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Hazy burnt orange color with a small head and nominal lacing.

S: Dominate aroma of cherries and chocolate. Reminds me of chocolate covered cherries candy.

T: Taste is of chocolate covered cherries. Not overly sweet, nice dry finish and no aftertaste. Much better than I expected.

F: medium body, quite well balanced, smooth & creamy.

D: Easy drinker, but only for one or two. Ideal for a holiday or seasonal novelty drink. I went into this expecting the worst and was pleasantly surprised.

Cherry Chocolate Beer from O'Fallon Brewery