Cherry Chocolate Beer - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.70% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 03-19-2004

A dark wheat beer that tastes like a chocolate covered cherry…only better!

3.22/5  rDev +1.6%

This was an interesting beer. I don't have much to add that hasn't been stated in the other reviews.

I was expecting a much thicker beer, more akin to a cherry stout or porter, but the beer pours fairly light (coppery) and the mouthfeel is very thin.

The smell is 100% cordial cherry. Smells fairly artificial, which I think it is. Extract flavoring as opposed to using real fruit. Taste is fairly similar.

Not bad, but not great, and I probably wouldn't seek this one out again. (483 characters)

3.99/5  rDev +25.9%

Served in a wine glass.

Ooh, this one comes with a tasty-looking cake recipe. Gonna haveta try that sometime. As for the beer, it pours a slightly hazy copper-amber topped by around a finger or so of white foam. The nose -- whoofah! -- really made me recoil. Ask around, I was physically taken aback by the extreme chocolate and cherry smell. But it was all good, as though a bushel o' cherry cordials was liquefied and thrust into my gaping 'strils. Delicious. The taste doesn't quite measure up to the aroma's hype, bringing only some light black cherry, cocoa powder, and light maple syrup to bear. It's still tasty, just not as much as I'd hoped. The body is a somewhat hefty light, with a light carbonation and a slightly watery feel. Overall, for what it is, this beer really delivers what it promises. My only knock against it is the lack of any substantial body, which hinders full enjoyment (but, luckily, not too much). (930 characters)

3.86/5  rDev +21.8%

Served in a wine glass

For some reason when I think chocolate in beer in any form my mind doesn't say that the beer will be copper colored, but here it is looking copper as ever. The smell however is wonderful, the aroma essentially consists of a black forest cake (cherry syrup & chocolate cake). The taste is much the same, but dialed down a little bit which is good. The mouth feels really watery like they just made a pale ale and put some black forest extract in the brew. It's drinkable, but in all honesty it's got a weird dry finish on the back end and if it weren't for the aroma I probably wouldn't come near this beer again. (636 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Consumed 11/28 poured in to a pint glass

A: This beer pours a murky toffee/caramel color with a 1/4 inch of offwhite head that recedes quickly. Spotty lacing is left on the glass.

S: Nose is - like sniffing a cherry cordial. There's not much else to the nose.

T: Taste is ... surprise - cherry cordial. Cherry notes are some what light and it's more of a dark chocolate flavoring. Minor coffee notes but totally dark chocolate through the finish.

M: Lighter side of medium body, medium carbonation, somewhat crisp at first, but a sticky finish.

D: Goes down easily, not too filling, mild kick, ok representation of style. This isn't a beer to sit with by any means, but would totally work as a desert beer. (713 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +52.1%

Color: pours hazy golden brown. sits hazy burnt orange

Smell: POWERFUL aroma of chocolate covered cherries. thats it. for many fruit beers youre nose would have to be wet to get the same potency of aroma you do with this beer a foot away

Taste: again, chocolate covered cherries through and through.

Mouthfeel: medium body with medium carbonation

Notes: i think a lot of fruit beers mostly lack in flavor. this brew perfectly reflects what it was meant to be. i realize many people might not like it but it is what its supposed to be. terrific (547 characters)

3.88/5  rDev +22.4%
look: 2.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Brown and cloudy, one finger head that didn't last, some lacing but not a lot.

Smells terrific! Chocolate and cherry are most of the smell, like a brach's chocolate covered cherry. Just a touch of a root-beer like aroma rounds it out.

Tastes really nice. Milk chocolate and cherry flavors dominate almost completely, but it's pleasant. This is what I expected and it's what this beer delivers.

Mildly sweet, but not overpoweringly so. Mild carbonation. Pleasant aftertaste. A little thin but still enjoyable.

Easy drinking for a beer or two, but not exactly a session beer. Great for a holiday treat tho!

NOTE: really cold this beer is still friggin' good. Doesn't need to warm up that much to be at optimal temp. (722 characters)

4.29/5  rDev +35.3%

I was pleasantly surprised by this beer. The balance between the chocolate and cherry is great and not too sweet. Not a beer you'd want to have more than one of, but a good one to mix in now and again.

Sampled during the Winter 2010 tasting, brought by Joel. (259 characters)

4.87/5  rDev +53.6%

One of my favorite beers of 2010! After a long tennis match or tough ride on the bike, this beer is refreshing! Tasting almost exactly like a Cherry Coke, it is VERY sweet and can be enjoyed. However, I can only drink 2-3 of these and then my stomach starts to feel it.. Awesome for a dessert beer as well. (306 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -2.2%

Very muddied hazy brown color. Creamish colored head. Thin coat of head remains throughout most of the time I could drink this beer. Smells exactly like a Cherry tootsie pop! Can't really smell anything other than that, or get past it. Tastes just like it smells. This is really good, as long as you are in the mood for liquid cherry tootsie pop. Slightly tarter than sweet on the finish. Really can't get past the tootsie popness. Drinks easy though, not that I would recommend drinking lots at a time...or more than once. Glad I can say I have had it though, decent all things considered... (592 characters)

3.32/5  rDev +4.7%

I poured into a pint glass to a half inch of beige head. I expected it to look like a porter or stout, but this beer is a murky brown color. It looks like apple cider. The aroma smacked me in the face as soon as I poured it. It smells like a chocolate covered cherry. The taste is just like it smells. The carbonation is the only thing that reminds me that this is a beer. I would like this beer more if it was viscous as motor oil. It's good for dessert. (455 characters)

2.82/5  rDev -11%

A - pours a murky brownish without much head...not an appealing look

S - this smells like a liquid cherry tootsie pop. Tons of cherry syrup that is rounded off by a tootsie roll chocolate aroma. Very artificial nose.

T - when reading the label, this beer tastes exactly how its name implies - cherry and chocolate. Can't say this is bad, but it isn't the best tasting beer out there. Loads of tootsie roll chocolate and some cocoa flavors with a syrupy cherry flavor. It tastes similar to their chocolate by the barrel stout with cherry.

M - decent body with some sharp carbonation

D - not a bad beer, but pretty decent. It does everything its name promises to do. Unlike any other cherry stout / fruit beer I have tried. Not bad - it tastes like something I would get at the local malt shop. (797 characters)

3.06/5  rDev -3.5%

12oz bottle served in Stella tulip.

A: Deep amber with some ruby red highlights. Off white head is small even after an aggressive pour and doesn't last very long.

S: Exactly like a cherry cordial. Low grade chocolate, maraschino cherry, and sugary liquid filling. It doesn't smell like beer, but its spot on for a chocolate covered cherry.

T: Mirrors smell. No real genuine malt flavor and certainly no hop presence worth mentioning. Vague chocolatey flavor and cherry liqueur. Mostly sweet, but not quite cloying. No real beer flavor.

M: Sharp carbonation. Thin feel.

D: Not very high. I expected the flavors to be too much, but I could actually have more than one of these in a sitting.

This is not a good beer, but I think it accomplishes its mission. The label says Cherry Chocolate Beer, and aside from the beer part that's what it is. I've given a pretty low rating, but I might grab a single of this here and there because sometimes being a beer nerd gets old and I need to cheat a little. Worth a shot if you're looking for a new guilty pleasure. (1,060 characters)

4.42/5  rDev +39.4%

Appearance: red/dark brown in color, with 1/2 inch head, high carbonation

Smell: chocolate and cherries--like a cherry cordial

Taste: some milk chocolate with roasted malt and cherries...like a liquid cherry cordial.

Mouthfeel: light body, medium/high carbonation, very sweet.

Drinkability: Not sure if I taste beer here, but it is a guilty pleasure none the less. I can see how others may dislike this. It is a liquid cherry cordial and is perfect for dessert. I love the taste and wish I picked more up. A really good drink. (530 characters)

I picked this up at the Foremost Liquor store in Glendale Heights, IL for $1O.99 a six pack. No freshness date found, but I was curious about the brewery location on the label. The label says O'Fallon Brewery - Steven's Point, Wisconsin. Every O'Fallon beer that I've ever tried in the past came out of O'Fallon, Missouri. Oh well.

The beer poured a murky caramel brown color, almost like dirty river water. It produced only a half finger of off-white head that disappeared within seconds. Not a pretty looking beer at all. Surprisingly it did leave a few spots of lacing with each sip.

It smells like a cheap box of chocolate covered cherries. It has more of a cocoa powder chocolate smell instead of a nice rich chocolate aroma, but there is no doubt that this is a cherry chocolate beer. The aroma is huge.

Well, it says cherry chocolate beer and that's what you get. The problem is you get a powdered chocolate taste instead of a nice dark or milk chocolate flavor. Definite maraschino cherry flavor and perhaps some added malt for sweetness, but no trace of hops for balance at all.

This is surprisingly thin and watery for a chocolate beer, but the moderate to medium carbonation level seems to fit this style and is enough to make it somewhat refreshing.

Drinkability is OK if you don't mind Tootsie Roll flavored chocolate as opposed to a good Godiva or Fanny May chocolate taste. (1,393 characters)

3.33/5  rDev +5%

Intrigued, I picked up a bottle of this as part of a make-your-own six pack from my local beer carryout.

A - Lighter than I had expected, but still rather dark and cider-like. Very murky and cloudy. Medium-sized white head with poor retention. Very little lacing.

S - Smells like a cherry Tootsie Pop. Not necessarily a bad smell, but it doesn't smell like beer.

T - Does not taste as much like a Tootsie Pop as it smells, but that taste is still readily apparent. As far as the beer component of the taste goes, it's pretty generic. Pleasant aftertaste, though.

M - Average mouthfeel. A little sticky. The carbonation level is right on, though.

D - Definitely a novelty beer. Not horrible, but I feel like it could have been done way better. (749 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +22.7%

Review from notes on 3/30/10. Big thanks to RocPorterFanatic for this treat, the lady and I loved it!

A - Cloudy maple brown, short lived off-white head. Left a thin cap with no lace. 3.5

S - Maraschino cherries and milk chocolate. Malted milk balls (whoppers anyone???), raspberries, caramel. Hint of vanilla as well. Unusually good for what I thought was going to be a syrupy mess. 4.5

T - Immediate chocolate, caramel, cocoa, and cherries hit the palate. Caramel lasts to create a sweet finish with a touch of vanilla, but all else fades quickly. 3.5

M - Moderately light bodied and crisp carbonation. Sweet finish. 4.0

D - Quite drinkable. Not cloying at all and very smooth. I'd like another one!!! 4.0 (712 characters)

3.05/5  rDev -3.8%

Presentation: Thanks go out to DoctorDog for this unusual gift. At first glance I thought it said Cherry Chocolate Stout, but upon pouring it and seeing the light color, I see it is Cherry Chocolate Beer. Poured from a 12 oz brown bottle into a shaker pint glass. Label is red with 3 cherries on the front. No obvious freshness dating.

Appearance: Pours with two fingers of light tan head. This settles to a thin yet complete layer of foam. The beer itself is a hazy and dull dark amber. Some viscous sludge remains in the bottle.

Smell: Strong notes of bitter baker's chocolate with hints of cherry.

Taste: Tootsie roll like chocolate upfront followed by a slightly tart cherry bite with mild undertones of sweetness. Both the cherry and chocolate flavors seems artificial.

Mouthfeel: Higher than average carbonation. Body is kind of thin.

Drinkability: Well, it tastes like exactly what it says it it, can't fault them for that. However, this just doesn't do it for me. The base beer seems to light in flavor to take the cherry and chocolate. I know I wouldn't have another one and I am not even sure I can finish this one. (1,130 characters)

3.82/5  rDev +20.5%

Combining three of my favorite things, cherries, chocolate and beer, I have been wanting to try this for some time now. Tonight I finally got that chance after picking up a single 12oz. bottle. Since this has the potential to be really, really bad, I did not trust it enough to buy a whole 6-pack. Poured into a standard pint glass.

A - Murky amber/caramel colored. Looks like muddy water to be honest. Not overly appealing. Poured with a nice amberish head which dissipated almost immediately.

S - Strong cherry cough-syrup with hints of chocolate candy. Very strong scent that you don't even need to put up to your nose. You'll smell this one from across the room. Not a bad thing though.

T - Not as bad as I had expected after the smell. Pretty much exactly as the beer's title suggests: chocolate covered cherries. A bit of a medicine-ish taste at first, but that faded quickly with an amazingly delicious chocolate cherry aftertaste.

M - Great! The chocolate and cherry tastes don't overwhelm and blend together quite perfectly.

D - Definitely a dessert beer! No doubt about that. Not something you're going to want to grab to quench your thirst. A great finish after a nice dinner. But I am glad that I only bought a single bottle. I don't think I could do a whole 6-pack of these in one sitting without being overwhelmed by the flavor.

This is not going to be a beer for everyone, (as you can see by reading the reviews). If you do try this beer, do yourself a favor and try it after a nice dinner. (1,512 characters)

Appears a pale amber caramel hue with a bright off white head. Aroma smells of chocolate tootsie rolls and artificial cherry extract it actually smells gross. Flavor I can't finish this disgusting extract brew horrible chocolate flavor medicinal cherry blend this is pukerific, hands down the worst beer of 2009 and 2010. This deserves the worst most creatively bad reviews known to man. In my case I can't stomach another sip. I don't think there's a need to try other O'Fallon brews since I've tasted this. God awful I'm chewing on a twizzler to get rid of the flavor of this beer. (583 characters)

3.09/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

A: This beer pours like I wish most of my beers did, a nice golden brown with a fairly thick white head, that left a foam ring that didn't do much for lacing.

S: The smell was a bit overwhelming, that's why I dropped it a bit. While the flavors are said to be natural, this surely smelled like it had chocolate and cherry extract put in, and in large quantities.

T: The taste wasn't actually as bad as the smell. Quite pleasant actually.

M: Fairly full, but not what I expected, a little on the watery side. The carbonation wasn't over the top either and it allowed the two dominating flavors to test your tongue for a second.

D: I just don't think that these two flavors for my beer are what I'd like on a regular basis.

Overall, interesting try... should be a desert beer in all honesty.

Cheers. (804 characters)

4.13/5  rDev +30.3%

12 oz bottle poured into a Nonic. 3079 on the neck.

A - Cherry Chocolate Beer pours a gross hazy, muddy brown that's not appetizing in the least. An off-white head rises to a finger, then lowers to a thin layer while leaving an arch of lace.

S - Wow. The aroma just erupts out of this. I can smell it a foot away! I don't know how they do it, but it smells exactly like chocolate covered cherries with the sugary cream center. This is the most realistic milk chocolate aroma I've come across in a beer. The maraschino cherries smell spot-on too. Absolutely no beer hints in here.

T - The nose smells much more potent than it tastes but this beer is one hell of a trip. The flavor is of toasted malts hiding in the background of a milk chocolate and maraschino chocolate covered cherry goodness. Wow.

M - Moderate carbonation gives the finish a bit of a kick but this medium-bodied beer's talent lies in the other senses (appearance aside).

D - I can't believe my cousin hated this beer with a passion! This is the most accurate beer based on the name I've ever had! It smells and tastes like liquid chocolate covered cherries. Definitely more of a dessert beer but I put this down so fast after opening it. (1,211 characters)

3.62/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate Beer is exactly what the title suggests. It smells like chocolate covered cherries. It also tastes very similar to chocolate covered cherries. You get exactly what you would expect. There isn't much alcohol taste at all. It makes for a decent dessert beer, I wouldn't want to have too much in one sitting. (331 characters)

3.89/5  rDev +22.7%

Currently drinking the O'Fallon Cherry Chocolate beer and have to say the name perfectly describes the overall feel of it.

The beer poured out a light brown color that wasn't quite see through, with little to no head.

When Smelling the beer you're presented with a strong douse of Cordial Cherry and some chocolate.

My initial taste was that of tasting Chocolate covered Cherries that lasted quite a long lasting with the after-taste.

Mouthfeel I'd say not as much. It's not overbearing and is flavorful

Being that I'm quite a fan of the candy, I found this beer to be quite good and enjoyable. I definately will buy this again at a later date. (650 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -18%

A dirty brown color body with little to no head or lacing, light carbonation . Aroma is of tootsie rools and articificial cherries , sweet with a hint of some kind of malt . Flavor is chocolaty with more of the odd cherry , I find this whole thing to be off and artificial , medium body with a light mouthfeel and an odd aftertaste , I would not call this sessionable or anything like due to the fact that this is just not for me , sorry just not my thing . Nice try though and somewhat interesting. (499 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -0.6%

O'fallon Cherry Chocolate Beer has a russet colored body with a small off-white head.

The best way to describe the aroma is to repeat a couple parts of the name "cherry chocolate." That is about all I pick up from this one.

For some reason when I bought this beer I had it in my head that it was some kind of cherry chocolate stout or porter. I have no idea what gave me that impression, but I had it. It was dead wrong. This thing tastes completely like cherries and chocolate, while the "beer" doesn't really enter into the equation. In fact, the best way to describe the flavor of this beer is simply to compare it to a cherry tootsie pop, because they are identical in flavor, this is simply the liquid form. I tried this with a buddy and he came to the same conclusion without me having mentioned it. This beer isn't bad by any means, it tastes good for those who love cherry tootsie pops or chocolate and cherries, but it doesn't have any beer characteristics whatsoever.

The mouthfeel has moderate carbonation but is rather thin; probably a touch too thin actually.

Drinkability here is ok; I didn't have a problem with this oen, but I don't really desire another one. Overall, if this beer had been a porter or stout like I thought it was, it would probably be pretty solid. However, as is it tastes completely like candy and nothing like beer, which is a negative for me. (1,384 characters)

Cherry Chocolate Beer from O'Fallon Brewery