Blackberry Scottish-Style - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: MJR on 03-12-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackberry Scottish-Style Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -33.6%

Clear brown beer. Minuscule off-white head that withers to a couple floating mats fed by light bubbling. Smells a little malty and peaty, with an unpleasant aspirin odor riding along.

Tastes like raspberry-tinged mineral water. There's some toasty malt in there, but it's mostly mineral water. Thin mouthfeel with very sparky carbonation.

No, thank you. A weird idea that didn't taste much like beer.

maundythirsty, Mar 11, 2007
2.65/5  rDev -17.4%

Wasn't sure what to make of this 12oz bottle. Poured into a standard pint glass, I got a view of a brownish brew with pinkish tinges over which squatted an off-white head that collapsed into itself inside of two minutes. No lace but the head could be briefly revived by swirling the glass.
The nose was odd to say the least. Lots of caramel malt tones, some blackberry/boysenberry notes, and a mild peaty earth aroma that had a touch of smoke to it. All this just kinda banged around into each other without really working together.
This action carried on right over to the taste. Lots of toffee and caramel malt flavor up front. More berry sweetness and a dark earthiness akin to freshly tilled soil. Lastly a glint of peat-laden smoke, each flavor seeming to jam on the brakes abruptly and disappear as if to avoid being in the same vicinity as the next. The feel was light, thin, and muted.
Overall, I was barely able to conquer this brew. Pretty lackluster and dull; not something I'd go out of my way for.

Boilermaker88, Sep 04, 2005
2.65/5  rDev -17.4%

Amber colored with a small to medium off-white head. Subtle aroma consisted of a small amount of fruit, caramel malts, and alcohol. The taste was definitely lacking in the....um....taste department. A little watered down and very fizzy on the tongue, which hurt the mouthfeel. Would I want another one of these? Probably not. Although it's not horrid, it's not preferable.

Jacobob10, Sep 16, 2005
2.68/5  rDev -16.5%

Bought this at Lucas liquor in Overland Park, KS. I must say, not impressed with this at all. Lots and lots of floaties in this after pouring, turning to yeasty-sludge on the bottom of my glass after letting it sit for 15 minutes. Has a decent berry aroma, but after tasting it who cares. Has a initial tart bite, not bad, but quickly turns to foul beer experiment. This is exactly what a first-time homebrewer would concoct with a fairly cheap beer kit. It isn't undrinkable by any means, but you could do better with most other fruit-flavored beer.

EDIT: OK, so a couple of the beers in my six pack must've been bad. Four of the six had no floaties, and tasted better as well. Still not one of the best I've ever had but I'd give it a solid average rating as far as these kinds of beers go. Good change of pace.

Gruntlumber, May 19, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -15.9%

Had to grab this when I saw it last week. Such a strange concept to me. It pours a slightly pinked brown color wtih a finger of head that falls to coat the beer. The nose has sweet berry tones that pretty well dominate much else that is there. The flavor is pretty mellow, starting with the sweetness of the berry and moving to more of a nutty maltyness. I'm not a big fan. The feel is moderate with a moderate carbonation. Overall, I don't think that berries belong in a scottish. I don't think this was a great scottish base beer either. It just seems lacking all around.

kmpitz2, Mar 26, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a light amber color, damn light for a scotch ale. Smell is of artificial fruit. Sweet almost like cool aid, but kind of rancid for some reason as well. Taste is kind of off the wall. Roasty malts, caramel stand out as the backbone, kind of a grapeish flavor, but nowhere near blackberry. Kind of bready, and no hops to speak of. Odd, average mouthfeel, but kind of overly sickly sweet. No my idea of a good brew. I'll pass.

bnuttz, Apr 29, 2005
2.7/5  rDev -15.9%

A nice reddish copper color with a quick disappearing tan head.

The aroma is mild blackberry with some hints of malt.

The taste is similar with a bit of blackberry up front, slightly sweet but not offensively, slightly tannic, hints of malt, caramel and nuts, some mild herbal hops at the finish.

Light bodied, a bit thin and watery. Altogether, more like blackberry tea than beer. Best when ice cold.

whynot44, Mar 13, 2007
2.73/5  rDev -15%

Clouded tawny amber with a patchy bone-colored top.
Caramel is foremost with a toasted underbelly, nudged sweeter with a grape cola, and candied black- and blueberries.
Bready initially, all full of wet dough and yeast. Wheat-like in flavor. Caramel comes next, but cloaked with the soggy breadiness of it all. Blackberry hues are modest, but, even so, seem forced and artificial, carrying bubblegum and sugarbomb fruit soda. A stray clove ester wanders through near the close. Hops carry no weight.
Flat texture, over yeasty, novelty homebrew-esque mishmash. Scottish this ain't, if tasted blind I'd peg it as some sort of dark American Wheat.

cokes, Mar 21, 2005
2.78/5  rDev -13.4%

Pours a dark brown color with very little head and doesn't leave any lacing on the glass. The aroma is odd. Slight maltiness, but is dominated by an overly sweet berry character. Hmm. The flavor is not at all what I expected ... and I didn't care much for it. Weak in the body. The flavor has a lot of the sweet berry flavor, but it has a slightly tart character and it masks the true flavors of the beer too much. Not terrible, but I won't have it again.

clvand0, Apr 04, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a chill hazed tea hue with a quick falling single fingered head. Some beading supports a ring at the meniscus inside the Grindstone pint glass. The ring adheres to to wall as I tilt the glass trying for lace that returns to form a crescent of the former ring.

Aroma of caramel malt and blackberry favoring. Initially found the combination of "natural flavors" and malts a little disturbing and flavoring a little acrid. Good CO2 level with helps a thinish mouthfeel. Finding an acid tartness near the finish but eventually my palate adjusts. Improves with warming 50 - 59°F however.

I have found most of brews from O'Fallon much better than this one. I am looking forward to their fine Smoked Porter which was awarded winner of 2004 Great American Bear Fest - Best Smoked Beer in America.

karst, Sep 21, 2005
2.8/5  rDev -12.8%

Purchased May 2007 at Lukas Liquors in Ellisville, MO - part of an O'Fallon mixed 8-pack.

Pours a hazy but translucent orangish brown. Very, very fizzy - almost like a 7Up. Aroma is led with fruit, but not overpowering - although the bitterness is MIA. Taste is integrated, but I can't say it's wonderful - mostly sweet berry juice, some dryness on the finish. Certainly no conflicting hop taste anywhere, but the malt is thin, the texture watery.

Nothing Scottish about this - no earth, no peat, not a hint of smoke. But not entirely a misfire - would be a nice summer drink, taken very cold. Sort of a berry tea.

I want to love O'Fallon Brewery, but I don't think they've quite hit their stride.

Talisker, May 29, 2007
2.85/5  rDev -11.2%

Picked up a couple of sixers of this for $3 apiece. That should have told me something right there, but I was willing to take the risk.

Poured into a pint glass, there is a minimal tan head comprised of tiny bubbles with minimal carbonation. The head disappears quickly and there was minimal lacing. It was an amber/mahogany color. It smells malty and sweet, but I could not find any blackberry to speak of. The taste is relatively sweet, with a grain malt body, but again, there was not really any fruit. Perhaps just a touch in the finish, but not enough for the word “Blackberry” to be so prominently displayed on the label.

Surprisingly enough, I enjoyed the beer, but do not feel that it is a good representation for the style. If I found it in the refrigerator, I would probably have another one, but there are other beers I’d buy first.

hopsaplenty, Nov 04, 2005
2.85/5  rDev -11.2%

Iced tea with a large splash of orange juice. There's a generous amount of carbonation that's no help to the rather pathetic looking head. The foam is light beige in color, large-bubbled, soft and featureless. In other words, it looks like what one might see on a glass of soda pop. By the final pour, the beer becomes a much more attractive murky tawny.

Given the name, how is it possible that Blackberry Scottish-Style Ale doesn't smell like either blackberries or a Scottish ale? I can appreciate faint whiffs of caramel malt and very little else.

Things improve somewhat on the palate, but then only one direction was possible with such a lackluster nose. Believe it or not, I can appreciate what O'Fallon was trying to do with this beer. I taste blackberry essence (more artificial blackberry extract than the actual fruit) and the sketchy outlines of a wannabe Scottish ale. It still isn't great, though, and I question whether the target was worth aiming at.

The beer is unimpressively caramel malted. That flavor is quickly overcome by blackberry, which dominates through the finish. At this point in the bottle, I can appreciate little or nothing that is Scottish ale-like. I have a sneaking suspicion that my initial impressions along those lines were due to the power of suggestion.

The mouthfeel is closer to light than to medium. It also feels large-bubbled fizzy at the start of each mouthful and nearly flat on the swallow.

Even though Blackberry Scottish-Style Ale is only my third O'Fallon offering, I'm beginning to wonder if Smoked Porter isn't far and away their best beer. Having said that, I applaud the brewery's willingness to do something different. If done right, this could have been a pretty interesting beer. Unfortunately, it wasn't and it isn't.

BuckeyeNation, Sep 20, 2005
2.88/5  rDev -10.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a brown translucent body with a creamy off-white head.

S- The smell of blackberry and biscuit malt is a bad combination. There is a note of chocolate malt and dark roasted malt that doesn't help the almost putrid smell.

T- The taste of dry biscuit malt and fresh grain has a faint blackberry extract note to it in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium light mouthfeel and a slight watery texture.

D- These flavors really don't taste good together but if the blackberry extract flavor was removed or replaced with a real fresh blackberry flavor there is some hope for this beer. It needs to go back to the drawing board.

rhoadsrage, Jul 09, 2006
2.88/5  rDev -10.3%

12oz brown bottle with no freshness dating. Served in a Samuel Adams specialty pint glass.

Pours a dark caramel/deep copper with a rocky off-white head and lively carbonation. Head settles in time leaving a creamy looking crown. This is an attractive brew, with a rich color and golden highlights. Head left little to no lace. The smell is a mixture of sweet, cookie-like malts, and blackberries, along with other dark fruits (black grapes and blueberries). The hops are spruce-like and hidden in the background. Flavor is reminiscent of a sweet red wine at times. There are slightly roasted malts and a canned blackberry taste that finishes kind of sour. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with a somewhat dry texture and some fizzy carbonation.

I love blackberries, so when I saw this, I knew that I had to give it a try. It started off so promising with an attractive appearance and a nice intriguing smell. That's where it started going down hill for me. To me the flavors seemed somehow at odds with each other, and the mouthfeel is similar to a flavored soda. I am glad that I gave it a try, but probably wouldn't want another.

littleshamrocks, Dec 24, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured at refrigerator temperature into a pint glass.

Pours a very pleasant amber/mahogany color in the glass. VERY high volume of small bubbles cling to the sides of the glass and make up about an inch and half tan head that prevents me from fitting the whole bottle into the glass at first. Head collapses quickly and leaves virtually no lacing. Bottom of the bottle had a yeast residue that I decided to swirl into the glass. Gave it a nice cloudy hefe look in a much darker hue. Light comes through the glass easily, although it disperses rapidly. Noticed "floaters" rising and falling with the carbonation. Something I stirred up from the bottom no doubt, but something that took away from my appearance score.

Very faint malty aroma. Fairly non-descript. Absolutely NO presence of the blackberry that others say they sense.

Taste is pleasantly malty in the Scottish style, but very one dimensional. You get a firm hit of malt flavor as the beer first hits your tongue, but it quickly fades leaving a cloying maltiness on the tongue. Only the faintest hints of berry and a slight yeast taste, but far less than I would have expected given how much I swirled in. Slight "burnt chocolate" flavors come and go throughout the glass. Basically no significant hops flavor or aroma. If I had tasted this blind, I think I would have pegged it a Scottish style, but I would never have pulled out the blackberry accent.

Is it contradictory to say both thin and cloying? But I have those opposite reactions at the same time.

Despite my negativeness, it actually is rather drinkable. The glass went down easily and fairly quickly and with a moderate alcohol kick.

Not something I would go out of my way to keep on hand, but certainly something I would take one (if not two of) should it get offered up at a party.

jbschafer, Feb 24, 2006
2.98/5  rDev -7.2%

This beer pours an amber red color with a very thin head.
Smell is sweet with a slight hint of fruitiness.
Tastes is just ok with not a whole lot of anything going on. There really isn't very much going on as far as the blackberry is concerned.
Mouthfeel is light, without much body at all.
Overall this beer is average at best. I don't think I would recommend it. There are far better fruit beers out there.

treedoctor5002, Jan 14, 2007

jaydoc, Dec 23, 2013

Okay, it was either this or the Cherry Chocolate ... I decided to bring one home, but not both. Having had, and enjoyed, the Smoked Porter before I expected good things from O'Fallon on this one. Poured it into a standard pint glass from a 12oz bottle with a rather comical label ... hmmm, relatively dark amber in color with a slight reddish/orangish hue. Thin, off-white head with virtually no retention. Very light carbonation.Nose is heavily malted, with some unidentifyable aroma that really is less than pleasant. Almost a funky brewer's yeast scent. I detect no blackberry, just malt ... lots of malt. Palate is also very malty, tasting more like a weak stout ... roasted grains and a little yeast. Doesn't resemble a scottish-style ale in my estimation. Slight fruity sweetness, but very ambiguous. No hop character to speak of. Mouthfeel is very thin, again reminding me of a watered down stout of some peculiar variety. No carbonation. I honestly tried to like this one, but it's not sure what it wants to be ... I know what it isn't - a Scottish-style ale. If I labeled it, I would call it a stout loosely. I'm afraid to say it's a bit homebrewy and gives the impression that too much water was added to the wort. Anyway, maybe worth a try if you like a thinner, less substantial dark amber or stout. Don't look for anything close to blackberries though ... I couldn't find 'em. O' Fallon is a good brewery, but this is not one of their best.

beerphilosopher, Apr 01, 2006

part 2 of a 4 beer mix pack from Ofallon.

A- pours a reddish copper with a tan head on top that is pretty nice. and had decent retention and light wet lacing, but fell from there without much sticky lacing.

S- not the greatest smelling, notes of blackberry, but it may just be the way the malt and the fruit come together but it comes across almost as being astringent.

T- so first off i would say the first is a little wierd, and not that good, but the middle and end is much better and pretty tasty.
There is a mix of the traditional strong malts and flavors from a scotch ale, including teh spices, and the fruit is subtle as well. I think the smell also throws it off a little bit. after that the spices of the scotch ale simmer down, and the sweetness and more complex maltiness comes in, which actually works quite well. the overall taste is tempered by the poor smell. the finish leaves a slightly sweet fruit and malty mix on the tongue which is quite pleasent. the lingering flavors also ask for me to drink it again, however the beginning of any such endevor suffers again and the cycle continues

M- full body, medium carbonation, crisp with a lingering flow on the tongue

D- that smell and beginning of the taste hurt it, but the finish helps it overall alot.

Atron67, Jul 13, 2008

Bottle from Party Source. This beer pours a mostly clear ruby/brown color with a medium thin off-white head that has decent retention. Stringy lacing on the glass. Aroma similar to the packets of mixed berry jelly you find at finer restaurants. Touches of earthy malt in the nose as well. Medium-bodied with tart blueberry and peat flavors, along with some grainy malt. The finish is fruity and soft, with a mildly bitter aftertaste that lingers awhile. Overall this beer did not really do much for me.

Dogbrick, Dec 30, 2008
3.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours a mahogany color, with a small white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a white lacing

S: sweet, fruity, but I can't really pick up any blackberry

T: fruity, a slight hint of alcohol

M: thin, lightly carbonated

D: fairly drinkable, It is ok, nothing exceptional. I won't go out of my way to buy it again.

kamiller, Mar 16, 2006
3.08/5  rDev -4%

Picked up a single at Steve's Liquor here in Madison some time ago.

Pours a hazy mahogany brown with a finger of khaki head that fades quickly. Smells of artificial berry extract and caramel yeasty malts. Taste is tart-sweet fake berries and bready roasted malts. Tastes much more like a Newcastlesque english brown than a scottish ale. Berry taste could use some, I dunno, realness. Mouthfeel is thinnish, but drinkable. I decent-tasting fruit brown here. Like an incredibly inferior version of Lost Coast's Raspberry Brown. Skip this and go for that one.

Golden2wenty1, Oct 12, 2005
3.08/5  rDev -4%

Appears a dark crimson toned amber with a frothy, beige head that slowly fades into a mild cap of suds. Scattered streaks of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of caramel, toffee, berries, citrus, and mild grass.
Taste is toffee mixed with berries, along with a mild hop punch of cut grass and citrus notes coming through.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied, sweet, lacking balalnce, with a spritzy finish.

weeare138, Nov 24, 2008
3.1/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours an amber color with ruby hues. Has one finger of light tan head sitting on top with no lacing and poor retention.

Aroma is notably fruity. Strong sweet berry and caramel.

Taste is interesting. Big fruitiness, blackberry very apparent. Strong maltiness displays caramel and toffee notes. Seems kind of choclatey too.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with lively carbonation. Drinkability is good.

Goliath, Feb 28, 2008