Blackberry Scottish-Style - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.50% ABV

Availability: Spring

(Beer added by: MJR on 03-12-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blackberry Scottish-Style Alström Bros
xav33

3.5/5  rDev +9%

O'Fallon Blackberry Scottish-Style Ale
12 oz bottle
Medium pour in a goblet
Recent bottling, imbibed 11/06

Poured a clear brown with an average off-white fizzy quickly diminishing head.

Smelt of light smokiness, tea leaves and blackberries.

Taste was upfront light bittersweet raspberry ice tea followed by a slight smoke taste on a short to average length finish. Palate was light bodied, watery, and fizzy.

Overall, the beer tasted like unsweetened raspberry iced tea. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, but a cool odd combination.

11-29-2006 23:46:16 | More by xav33
Generik420

Indiana

3.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured into a 16oz standard pint glass. Pours a medium dark brown, fairly clear. Minimal head and no lacing.

Smell was kind of odd. I expected a strong fruit smell but that was very muted. Aroma had a hint of smokiness.

Flavor was very good, mild peaty smoke flavor with a strongly subtle blackberry flavor lurking in the background. Quite hard to describe the fruitiness, I could tell there was a sweet blackberry flavor there, but it wasn't overpowering. Nicely balanced with the roasty, peat flavors.

Mouthfeel about what you would expect with a scottish style. Medium to heavy body.

I don't think I could drink more then one or two of these at a sitting, mainly due to the peat flavors. An interesting beer that is worth a try, but I probably wouldn't go to far out of my way for it.

09-27-2006 00:15:29 | More by Generik420
UncleJimbo

3.58/5  rDev +11.5%

This beer poured a clear, iced-tea brown color with light brown, pillowy foam that settled slowly, and with good, strong carbonation from the bottom of the glass. The smell was lightly sweet malt with a touch of caramel, plus a light blackberry aroma. The taste was malty with light blackberry fruitiness and mild hop bitterness in the finish. There was a light taste of yeast as well. Oddly, the flavor was less good as the beer warmed in the glass. The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy with medium body and good carbonation. The flavors lingered mildly in the finish. The was a decent beer, not overpowered by the fruit, and fairly easy-drinking.

08-31-2006 04:39:01 | More by UncleJimbo
rhoadsrage

2.88/5  rDev -10.3%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a brown translucent body with a creamy off-white head.

S- The smell of blackberry and biscuit malt is a bad combination. There is a note of chocolate malt and dark roasted malt that doesn't help the almost putrid smell.

T- The taste of dry biscuit malt and fresh grain has a faint blackberry extract note to it in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium light mouthfeel and a slight watery texture.

D- These flavors really don't taste good together but if the blackberry extract flavor was removed or replaced with a real fresh blackberry flavor there is some hope for this beer. It needs to go back to the drawing board.

07-09-2006 02:34:36 | More by rhoadsrage
dirtylou

Washington

3.4/5  rDev +5.9%

12oz single, Woodman's I think

All of these beers seem to suck but they all have wild ideas and funny bottles, so for a 1.39 I try them

appearance: deep clear mahogany-garnet poured into a notre dame pint glass, small beige head that actually has pretty good retention...a little too clear for a scotch, but well tinted

smell: cheap candy fruitness, sweet candy chocolate...not a whole lot more involved than that, light roastiness

taste: more cheap candy (seems to be a trend with o'fallon)...its almost like they brew most of their beers with reject halloween candy...sweet cheap chocolate, blackberry flavouring comes in stronger in the taste, very light roastiness, not very scotch-like...its not bad, its interesting, but its hard to call good

mouthfeel: medium-thin

drinkability: pretty good

mouthfeel: medium

06-20-2006 01:39:10 | More by dirtylou
TastyTaste

3.45/5  rDev +7.5%

Appearance: Hazy brown body, maybe a touch of purple in there as well (or maybe it is my imagination). Head fades fast and stands at a thin complete layer over the beer.

Smell: Quite odd, the blackberry is evident some porterish bitter chocolate. Hard to tell where the flavor is going to go from the smell.

Taste: The chocolate is there, also some honey like sweetness. The blackberry provides some undefined fruitiness, not much of the berry flavor left, although blackberries are, to me, a faily inassertive flavor anyways.

Mouthfeel: Smooth, full, low carbonation. Fits the beer.

Drinkability: Not a bad beer to sip on, just doesn't capture my interests that much.

04-21-2006 20:18:42 | More by TastyTaste
scruffwhor

3.1/5  rDev -3.4%

Pours a quick and fizzy head. Some bare lacing is noticed. color is dark tanned amber. Smell iis a of blackberries and chalky chocolate. The taste is the same mix mix, with the blackberries in the foreground and that chalky malt in the background. The blackberry flavor is too light in my opinion. The drinkability is pretty good and the mouthfeel is like a liquid ovaltein mixed with chalk dust.

04-14-2006 04:54:49 | More by scruffwhor
Gaisgeil

3.53/5  rDev +10%

Fairly run of the mill, and I'm not really sure what is 'Scottish-Style' about it, maybe because it's malty? Scottish style that does not make, sorry to say. Pours a cloudy chestnut in color with a thin film for a head. Nose is quite nice, subtlely fruity, faintly berry-like. Taste is a bit of a wash, quite fruity, but a bit disjointed, not particularly balanced. It's really just 'okay' really, but somehow the more I drink of it, the more I like it. Honestly there isn't a whole lot to say that is particularly bad about this brew, but the opposite can be said as well.

Slàinte!

04-02-2006 03:14:21 | More by Gaisgeil
GeoffRizzo

3.28/5  rDev +2.2%

Pale orange in color, a 1/3 inch head dissolves quickly. Maintains an iced tea or sweet-tea appearance. Nose is very dull; cherries, orange chocolate and mild malts are difficult to detect. Wet doughy bread and thick caramel up front; barely medium bodied. Carbonated like a diet soda; blackberries maintain their presence, some blueberry and cherry offerings as well. Sweet malts and day old coffee come into play. Fairly carbonated, yet thick and tasty. The palate is left clean and malty-dominated. A caramel and cotton candy sweetness in the background. While not your top notch Scottish Ale nor your top of the line fruity ale, this one is quite nice, very easy to drink, and yet again, the O’Fallon brewers cross the barrier and produce another fine ale. These folks brew what might seem to be some odd offerings, yet most are pretty darn good! Try this offering.

04-02-2006 02:25:57 | More by GeoffRizzo
beerphilosopher

Okay, it was either this or the Cherry Chocolate ... I decided to bring one home, but not both. Having had, and enjoyed, the Smoked Porter before I expected good things from O'Fallon on this one. Poured it into a standard pint glass from a 12oz bottle with a rather comical label ... hmmm, relatively dark amber in color with a slight reddish/orangish hue. Thin, off-white head with virtually no retention. Very light carbonation.Nose is heavily malted, with some unidentifyable aroma that really is less than pleasant. Almost a funky brewer's yeast scent. I detect no blackberry, just malt ... lots of malt. Palate is also very malty, tasting more like a weak stout ... roasted grains and a little yeast. Doesn't resemble a scottish-style ale in my estimation. Slight fruity sweetness, but very ambiguous. No hop character to speak of. Mouthfeel is very thin, again reminding me of a watered down stout of some peculiar variety. No carbonation. I honestly tried to like this one, but it's not sure what it wants to be ... I know what it isn't - a Scottish-style ale. If I labeled it, I would call it a stout loosely. I'm afraid to say it's a bit homebrewy and gives the impression that too much water was added to the wort. Anyway, maybe worth a try if you like a thinner, less substantial dark amber or stout. Don't look for anything close to blackberries though ... I couldn't find 'em. O' Fallon is a good brewery, but this is not one of their best.

04-01-2006 02:05:09 | More by beerphilosopher
kamiller

3.03/5  rDev -5.6%

A: Pours a mahogany color, with a small white head that dissipates quickly, leaving a white lacing

S: sweet, fruity, but I can't really pick up any blackberry

T: fruity, a slight hint of alcohol

M: thin, lightly carbonated

D: fairly drinkable, It is ok, nothing exceptional. I won't go out of my way to buy it again.

03-16-2006 03:13:55 | More by kamiller
jbschafer

Iowa

2.93/5  rDev -8.7%

Poured at refrigerator temperature into a pint glass.

Pours a very pleasant amber/mahogany color in the glass. VERY high volume of small bubbles cling to the sides of the glass and make up about an inch and half tan head that prevents me from fitting the whole bottle into the glass at first. Head collapses quickly and leaves virtually no lacing. Bottom of the bottle had a yeast residue that I decided to swirl into the glass. Gave it a nice cloudy hefe look in a much darker hue. Light comes through the glass easily, although it disperses rapidly. Noticed "floaters" rising and falling with the carbonation. Something I stirred up from the bottom no doubt, but something that took away from my appearance score.

Very faint malty aroma. Fairly non-descript. Absolutely NO presence of the blackberry that others say they sense.

Taste is pleasantly malty in the Scottish style, but very one dimensional. You get a firm hit of malt flavor as the beer first hits your tongue, but it quickly fades leaving a cloying maltiness on the tongue. Only the faintest hints of berry and a slight yeast taste, but far less than I would have expected given how much I swirled in. Slight "burnt chocolate" flavors come and go throughout the glass. Basically no significant hops flavor or aroma. If I had tasted this blind, I think I would have pegged it a Scottish style, but I would never have pulled out the blackberry accent.

Is it contradictory to say both thin and cloying? But I have those opposite reactions at the same time.

Despite my negativeness, it actually is rather drinkable. The glass went down easily and fairly quickly and with a moderate alcohol kick.

Not something I would go out of my way to keep on hand, but certainly something I would take one (if not two of) should it get offered up at a party.

02-24-2006 01:13:38 | More by jbschafer
hopsaplenty

2.85/5  rDev -11.2%

Picked up a couple of sixers of this for $3 apiece. That should have told me something right there, but I was willing to take the risk.

Poured into a pint glass, there is a minimal tan head comprised of tiny bubbles with minimal carbonation. The head disappears quickly and there was minimal lacing. It was an amber/mahogany color. It smells malty and sweet, but I could not find any blackberry to speak of. The taste is relatively sweet, with a grain malt body, but again, there was not really any fruit. Perhaps just a touch in the finish, but not enough for the word “Blackberry” to be so prominently displayed on the label.

Surprisingly enough, I enjoyed the beer, but do not feel that it is a good representation for the style. If I found it in the refrigerator, I would probably have another one, but there are other beers I’d buy first.

11-04-2005 12:32:33 | More by hopsaplenty
beergeek279

3.23/5  rDev +0.6%

Served in the 12 oz. bottle into a snifter. The color is a dark amber with a wispy lingering head. The smell is a very rich blackberry sweetness mixed with just a touch of maltiness. The taste is a bit muddled, with a bit of sweetness from the blackberry colliding with the peatiness of the Scottish ale. Mouthfeel is average. As for drinkability, not one that I'd probably really have again.

Thanks to bditty187 for the beer. A unique try that smells wonderful, but just ends up not melding that well, which a fruit beer shouldn't do. While I appreciate the chance to try the beer, I probably would not seek this one again.

10-21-2005 23:56:17 | More by beergeek279
Golden2wenty1

Wisconsin

3.08/5  rDev -4%

Picked up a single at Steve's Liquor here in Madison some time ago.

Pours a hazy mahogany brown with a finger of khaki head that fades quickly. Smells of artificial berry extract and caramel yeasty malts. Taste is tart-sweet fake berries and bready roasted malts. Tastes much more like a Newcastlesque english brown than a scottish ale. Berry taste could use some, I dunno, realness. Mouthfeel is thinnish, but drinkable. I decent-tasting fruit brown here. Like an incredibly inferior version of Lost Coast's Raspberry Brown. Skip this and go for that one.

10-12-2005 05:07:01 | More by Golden2wenty1
karst

2.8/5  rDev -12.8%

Pours a chill hazed tea hue with a quick falling single fingered head. Some beading supports a ring at the meniscus inside the Grindstone pint glass. The ring adheres to to wall as I tilt the glass trying for lace that returns to form a crescent of the former ring.

Aroma of caramel malt and blackberry favoring. Initially found the combination of "natural flavors" and malts a little disturbing and flavoring a little acrid. Good CO2 level with helps a thinish mouthfeel. Finding an acid tartness near the finish but eventually my palate adjusts. Improves with warming 50 - 59°F however.

I have found most of brews from O'Fallon much better than this one. I am looking forward to their fine Smoked Porter which was awarded winner of 2004 Great American Bear Fest - Best Smoked Beer in America.

09-21-2005 18:29:35 | More by karst
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

2.85/5  rDev -11.2%

Iced tea with a large splash of orange juice. There's a generous amount of carbonation that's no help to the rather pathetic looking head. The foam is light beige in color, large-bubbled, soft and featureless. In other words, it looks like what one might see on a glass of soda pop. By the final pour, the beer becomes a much more attractive murky tawny.

Given the name, how is it possible that Blackberry Scottish-Style Ale doesn't smell like either blackberries or a Scottish ale? I can appreciate faint whiffs of caramel malt and very little else.

Things improve somewhat on the palate, but then only one direction was possible with such a lackluster nose. Believe it or not, I can appreciate what O'Fallon was trying to do with this beer. I taste blackberry essence (more artificial blackberry extract than the actual fruit) and the sketchy outlines of a wannabe Scottish ale. It still isn't great, though, and I question whether the target was worth aiming at.

The beer is unimpressively caramel malted. That flavor is quickly overcome by blackberry, which dominates through the finish. At this point in the bottle, I can appreciate little or nothing that is Scottish ale-like. I have a sneaking suspicion that my initial impressions along those lines were due to the power of suggestion.

The mouthfeel is closer to light than to medium. It also feels large-bubbled fizzy at the start of each mouthful and nearly flat on the swallow.

Even though Blackberry Scottish-Style Ale is only my third O'Fallon offering, I'm beginning to wonder if Smoked Porter isn't far and away their best beer. Having said that, I applaud the brewery's willingness to do something different. If done right, this could have been a pretty interesting beer. Unfortunately, it wasn't and it isn't.

09-20-2005 14:59:29 | More by BuckeyeNation
Jacobob10

2.65/5  rDev -17.4%

Amber colored with a small to medium off-white head. Subtle aroma consisted of a small amount of fruit, caramel malts, and alcohol. The taste was definitely lacking in the....um....taste department. A little watered down and very fizzy on the tongue, which hurt the mouthfeel. Would I want another one of these? Probably not. Although it's not horrid, it's not preferable.

09-16-2005 21:57:46 | More by Jacobob10
Boilermaker88

2.65/5  rDev -17.4%

Wasn't sure what to make of this 12oz bottle. Poured into a standard pint glass, I got a view of a brownish brew with pinkish tinges over which squatted an off-white head that collapsed into itself inside of two minutes. No lace but the head could be briefly revived by swirling the glass.
The nose was odd to say the least. Lots of caramel malt tones, some blackberry/boysenberry notes, and a mild peaty earth aroma that had a touch of smoke to it. All this just kinda banged around into each other without really working together.
This action carried on right over to the taste. Lots of toffee and caramel malt flavor up front. More berry sweetness and a dark earthiness akin to freshly tilled soil. Lastly a glint of peat-laden smoke, each flavor seeming to jam on the brakes abruptly and disappear as if to avoid being in the same vicinity as the next. The feel was light, thin, and muted.
Overall, I was barely able to conquer this brew. Pretty lackluster and dull; not something I'd go out of my way for.

09-04-2005 04:21:18 | More by Boilermaker88
Brent

Kentucky

3.38/5  rDev +5.3%

Well, I'm not sure what makes this a Scottish-style beer - it was an okay, but pedestrian, fruit beer. Poured a ruddy caramel - I suppose I expected something purple. Some vague fruit aroma. Malty, a bit on the sweet side. Fruit flavoring is evident, but more of a general berry nature than a specific blackberry flavor. Not a bad fruit beer - reasonably drinkable, but I had hoped the blackberry would be more distinctive.

08-31-2005 13:21:35 | More by Brent
maxpower

3.35/5  rDev +4.4%

12 oz bottle pours a cloudy bright dark amber with a nice foamy lasting off white head that leaves some lacing in my glass. Light aroma of fresh blackberries. Mild fruity blackberry, caramel and chocolate flavors, medium bodied with a tad watery mouthfeel, finishes on the sweet side. Not overdone with fruit, not bad.

08-14-2005 20:10:23 | More by maxpower
BEERchitect

Kentucky

3.83/5  rDev +19.3%

Nicely blended beer. Blended a Scottish style with blackberry flavors. Pours a carbonated brown beer with redish colors intermitten. Nice aromas of caramel, malt, toffee, acohol, and dark fruits. Tastes nicely scottish, with the caramels and light chocolates. Figs, dates, and nut flavors accompany malt sweetness. Creamy body holds blackberry-like flavors. They are not overly dominant, but do add complexity and flavor. Lightly hopped for balance. Finishes sweet and mildly drying.

08-07-2005 23:12:01 | More by BEERchitect
GCBrewingCo

3.13/5  rDev -2.5%

The beer poured slightly hazy medium amber with an off-white head which lasted well to lace the glass.

The aroma was yeasty with a light fruitiness which was not readily recognizeable as blackberry. Some light caramel aroma was present as well with toffee character increasing as the beer warmed.

The flavor was malty with toffee, make that strong toffee character. The fruit was again present but not distinguishable as blueberry or blackberry.

The finish was just almost dry with lasting toffee and light blue/black berry flavors lasting into the aftertaste. The body was medium. Nothing to get excited about here, if it comes your way give it a whirl, if not, don't get overly upset.

12 ounce bottle. Thanks BIF20 and jimdkc.

05-22-2005 22:52:34 | More by GCBrewingCo
Gruntlumber

2.68/5  rDev -16.5%

Bought this at Lucas liquor in Overland Park, KS. I must say, not impressed with this at all. Lots and lots of floaties in this after pouring, turning to yeasty-sludge on the bottom of my glass after letting it sit for 15 minutes. Has a decent berry aroma, but after tasting it who cares. Has a initial tart bite, not bad, but quickly turns to foul beer experiment. This is exactly what a first-time homebrewer would concoct with a fairly cheap beer kit. It isn't undrinkable by any means, but you could do better with most other fruit-flavored beer.

EDIT: OK, so a couple of the beers in my six pack must've been bad. Four of the six had no floaties, and tasted better as well. Still not one of the best I've ever had but I'd give it a solid average rating as far as these kinds of beers go. Good change of pace.

05-19-2005 03:10:34 | More by Gruntlumber
bnuttz

Wisconsin

2.7/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a light amber color, damn light for a scotch ale. Smell is of artificial fruit. Sweet almost like cool aid, but kind of rancid for some reason as well. Taste is kind of off the wall. Roasty malts, caramel stand out as the backbone, kind of a grapeish flavor, but nowhere near blackberry. Kind of bready, and no hops to speak of. Odd, average mouthfeel, but kind of overly sickly sweet. No my idea of a good brew. I'll pass.

04-29-2005 02:10:11 | More by bnuttz