Wheach - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Beer added by: Skidz on 06-03-2005

Imagine our smooth, clean wheat beer with a touch of peach and you get the idea behind O'Fallon Wheach, our peach wheat beer. Light, refreshing and crisp, it's perfect for any occasion!

Ratings: 427 | Reviews: 178
2.48/5  rDev -30.5%

Appearance
Foamy white head forms agressively up to 4 fingers but doesn't stick around. Hazy lemon body.

Aroma
Peaches and white grape. Smells like the sparkling peach fizz drink my younger brother is still fond of. Not objectionable (I like peaches!) but nothing really to it otherwise.

Taste
Peach is there but not very citrusy (I'm chalking the bite completely up to carbonation on this one). Imagine is you bit into a peach without that sharp acidic bite and were just left with a really dull flavor. Bananas in the aftertaste. Hops? Nope. No real balance here.

Mouthfeel
Carbonation shows up in the beginning, apparently doesn't like what it sees and leaves with little fanfare. Medium body. Viscosity lingers around with a sort of muted clovey taste that isn't quite appreciated.

Drinkability/Overall Impression
Goes down smooth but I'm drinking to finish the glass, not out of enjoyment. There's not much I like with this brew. I'll stick with Festina Peche as my go to peach beer. I advise others pass on this one, you're not missing anything.

2.5/5  rDev -30%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

This review required for rating

2.52/5  rDev -29.4%

Pours out crystal clear pale straw and sits a sickly, light golden-straw color in the glass with a decent white head, fading to glassy surface, holding to the edges and leaving some small lacings.

Smells intensely of raw peaches and a mix of dried apricots. Chalky yeast background and a faint touch of grassy hops.

Tastes lightly sweet up front and produces a cloying blanket of boiled fruit flavors that form a haze over the entier beer. Peachiness is questionable, as are most other flavors produced. Along the lines of apricot skins and melon rinds. Fainly yeasty, and finishes fairly dry, a bit of alcoholic warmth.

Crisp in the mouth, but fairly chalky. Medium-light in body. Just stop for a minute and wonder why you picked one up. If I could just smell this beer, it would be okay, but the flavor is not even close. Fruit-wheat blends: 0. Scorched taste buds: 1.

2.54/5  rDev -28.9%
look: 1.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

now this is.... not bad. but certainly not good. It does have a true peach flavor. Which is its only saving grace. Absolutely no head or lace. Hazy straw color. just peach nose. not much depth. long peach finish. just peach peach peach. plenty of body - almost like cling peaches to beer. Guess they sell a lot of it at the Bodega. Whatever.

2.62/5  rDev -26.6%

12 oz bottle.

Pours golden, slight haze with a half inch head and minimal lacing.

It smells like canned peaches.

The taste is fairly mild, canned peaches, water, and typical light beer.

The body is a little foamy, forms suds in my mouth. Its hard to find the grain base. Reminds me of dish soap.

The finish is slightly sour, again canned peaches.

The peach flavor is interesting but doesn't make it a good beer in my opinion. Its a novelty one time try.

2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

The peach accent to this beer turned out to be more a front and center player rather than taking the more subtle supporting role for which I had hoped.

2.75/5  rDev -23%

Thanks (I think) Drizzam...
Poured into a pint glass this brew has a hazy wheat color with a finger head that dissipated quickly, but has strong carbonation rising from the bottom. The aroma is overwhelmingly peach. A slight wheat and floral hop smell is present as well. This brew has a harsh bite of a taste. A little peach, a little heffeweizen and a lot of carbonation. The taste is actually quite light, a little astringent, and not all that tasty. I appreciate a new brew, but I am not a peach fan to begin with and this just wasn't my brew.

2.77/5  rDev -22.4%

This beer pours a clear pale straw color with a hint of gold. The head is small, and recedes within seconds into nothing. The aroma is of peaches, and not much else. It smells more like a sweet fruit juice than a beer. The taste is not quite as juicy as the aroma, but it is still of peaches with nothing more to add complexity. The mouthfeel is light bodied with good carbonation. Overall, this is a mediocre beer. I like fruity wheat beers when they still retain common beer flavor. This beer just tastes like fruit. I will not drink this again.

2.78/5  rDev -22.1%

Pours a hazy pale yellow color with a white head. In the aroma, sugary peaches. In the taste, sugary peaches and somewhat a small tartness. A small sour bite and lighter bodied mouthfeel, with a small dry peach flavor in the aftertaste. A bit too sugary and sweet, nice peach flavor, but again, too sweet for me.

2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

Definitely tastes like peach! I don't really like peach, so not for me.

2.81/5  rDev -21.3%

Wow this has to be the shortest review I'm ever going to do. The aroma is peach jolly rancher. The taste is peach jolly rancher with just a grainy/corny sweetness. The mouthfeel is light and crisp, with a good carbonation. I find it hard to drink because of the artificial peachiness but I could see how someone really would like it.

2.85/5  rDev -20.2%

A - Poured out a gold/orange color with a foamy, white one finger head. Left no lace.

S - It smelled of peach, wheat and yeast.

T - The dominant flavor was peach. Very sweet. The wheat taste was minimal.

M - It was a little thin and fizzy. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay beer. It is basically exactly what I expected. Sometimes beers like this can be too sweet or fruity, that is not the case with this. It is not overdone.

2.91/5  rDev -18.5%

Received during the Great Summer Beer Exchange of '09...

Appearance: Pours a quite hazy straw color with a huge two-finger white head of tightly packed bubbles. No lacing to mention.

Smell: It definitely smells like a wheat beer. Lots of bready grains and a small amount of malts. Not as much peach as I was expecting from the "wheach" moniker. Smells a bit more like apricots than anything.

Taste: This beer has something...errr...what is it? Peach! That's what it is. I definitely get the peach that I wasn't getting in the nose. Very bland tasting. The peach doesn't really come through until the very end.

Mouthfeel: This isn't as crisp as many wheat beers have been. There's a definite sticky quality to this beer, and I'm not sure if it's something I'm wild about.

Drinkability: This beer, while incredibly light and fruity, just isn't very sessionable for me. My fiancée loves this beer, but the stickiness is too much for me. If peach flavoring is your goal, then this beer would match perfectly (but you might want to reassess your goals in life if peach is what does it for you). For me, this one's a non-starter.

2.95/5  rDev -17.4%

Very hazy yellow with a small head. A bit of a strange color for a wheat, but nice enough.

The nose dominated by peaches. Actual, juicy, ripe peaches, too, not something synthetic like peach schnaaps.

Tastes like sweet wheat upfront, very nice juicy peaches in the middle, ripe and slightly tart, but it ends badly on a note of macro adjunct grain. Where the hell does that come from? This would be a pretty darn good fruit beer if not for the crappy finish.

This is my second O'Fallon, and I have the same complaint with this beer as I do with their gold. The ending sucks.

2.98/5  rDev -16.5%

It looks like O'Fallon is contracting out of Stevens Point, WI. Appears a nice semi clouded bright golden hue with almost an orange glow to it. A bright egg shell white head forms thick with fine even lacing. Aroma is strong peach flesh and earthy peach pit tones. Flavor is weird a semi biscuit malt backing with a creamy note clashing with earthy peach pit and flesh tones, a bit juicy. Pretty weird stuff going on here, unremarkable fruity wheat beer it just happens to be a new fruit I've never had in my beer before. Mouthfeel has soft natural carbonation going on. Not bad definitely drinkable stuff just not my cup of tea, keep on searching for something else in their lineup so far Chocolate Cherry beer and this were pretty sorry offerings.

2.99/5  rDev -16.2%

I reviewed this beer, ONLY cause I got it for free.

Not a fan of the fruity beers but hey, Im more than generous on this one. Its a local like 5 miles away so here is my verdict.

Appearance was a clouded lighter golden brew. Nothin real special yet.

Smell was that of wheat bread and natural peach. It reminded me of a wine cooler smell.

Taste was a semi sweet, thin peachy blend. Okay at first cause it really surprized me. But by the end I was like, give me a freakin stout. PLEASE.

Mouthfeel, one word watery and carbonated.

Drinkability was average. I would get this for your girlfriend but not your friends unless they like this type of thing.

Which if your on here and your friends like wine coolers I say you need BEER FRIENDS!!!

But none the less try it. Its a good fruity beer. Not for all the time but maybe a visit every once in a summer on a BBQ day.

Hows that sound?

Pours cloudy pale yellow. Modest white head quickly disappears without even leaving a ring.

Aroma is definitely peach. Slight artificial quality.

Taste is initially eclipsed by sweet peaches, then there is a mild grainy quality, along with some pale malt. Perhaps a touch of honey and lemon. Finish does have unidentifiable hops, providing a splash of bitterness.

Mouthfeel is on the light side.

If peach is your thing this is the beer for you. Unfortunately, the peach flavor has a sweet artficial aspect to it. I'm left feeling uninspired.

12 oz bottle pours a glowing cloudy, hazy yellow color with a nice foamy white head that leaves some lacing in my glass, aroma of peaches. Fruity tart peach, apricot and wheat flavors, light to medium body with a soft mouthfeel, finishes a bit sweet, leaves a funny flavor in my mouth, very different.

3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

Ever used bisquick and canned peaches to make a fruit crumble? Thats what this beer reminds me of. Its acceptable but thats about it. This beer smells just like anything peach--peach iced tea, peach flavored spirits--a heavy artificial scent. Pours very hazy-typical of a wheat beer. Flavor is Peach in the front and biscuit in the end. Minor hints of wheat. Its a worthwhile effort at a beer that is difficult. Fruit flavored beer is tough to make taste ok. This might be a fun case to have at a backyard bbq for the people who don't drink much beer or drink the macros a lot.

3.03/5  rDev -15.1%

12 oz. bottle courtesy of Phil. Tried 13 Sep 2008.

Smally white head quickly dissipates in the glass. Golden peachy color. Smells like overripe peaches with some salty/mineraly background. Fairly light in flavor, peach, sweet and sour. Slight hint of lemon. Peach flavor seems somewhat one dimensional, not sure if this is made with real peaches or not. Light body.

Overall not offensive but would not get this again.

3.04/5  rDev -14.8%

A rather intriguing offering: peach flavored beer. This is the first offering I have seen with that flavor.

Pours like a typical wheat beer but a little less head than some others. Very cloudy light yellow.

The smell is very peachy.

Taste is sweet and has peach as well. Some other citrus in the background. The carbonation is nice but the overall taste lacks depth. It would be nice if the beer was a little more tart or malty? Maybe? After drinking through this beer it becomes a victim of the over carbonated macro. I know that was not the intent but that is the result. I have not liked peach flavored anything other than a real peach. I will pass on this next time.

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

Not a fan of fruit flavored beers but I generally enjoy peach flavored candies and whatnots.

This one is entirely too sweet for me. I was hoping for a hint of peach but it overwhelmed it for me.

The color was what I expected for a peach wheat beer. The smell was about the same.

If you like fruit flavored beer, you'll enjoy it. Probably more of a summer beer.

3.05/5  rDev -14.6%

6oz sample, shared half with my wife. Poured a hazy straw yellow with a fizzy white head that left little lacing on the glass. Aromas were of fresh ripened peaches with a slight fermented scent with some faint wheat. Tastes were sweet peaches that were wine-cooler-like at first; very artificial, with some yeasty flavors. Fuller fruity peach taste follows with a wheat note and a sweet finish. Mouth-feel was thin bodied, with high carbonation. Seemed refreshing, but I had to get past the initial artificial peach taste at the beginning of each sip. For a fruit beer, it was decent.

3.06/5  rDev -14.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A - Pours a relatively clear blonde. Head comes up to maybe half a finger before receding to a broken sheet. Body carbonation's active and pleasant to look at.

S - Smells just like peach candy. This is a good scent. This is not a good beer aroma.

T - The peach is overpowering, but that's clearly the goal. I think my issue with this balance is that just underneath the wave of juicy peach, there's clearly the wheat trying to cry out. A fresh, crisp wheat that teases the tongue like it's playing decoy for the peach-fist haymaker behind it. I'd like to be able to taste a bit more of both at once. That said, the peach? Dead on peach - but though it's not artificial tasting, it is a little syrupy.

M - Zest from the carbonation. Sugar leaves a little bit of a pucker on the back of the tongue.

Overall - Don't let the review fool you. This is a beer that's as easy to be critical of as it is to enjoy. No, it doesn't stand up to scrutiny. It has big balance issues and heavy-handed candy flavor. It's not a great beer. But it's a rather unique beer, and the issues seem to distract from the fact that it's plain enjoyable. It's a refreshing beverage, worth a shot. It has its place.

3.08/5  rDev -13.7%

pours very cloudy yellow gold with a 2 finger head that left some spotted lacing

smells like a peachy lager

taste is ok - lots of peach not enough wheat or spice - this beer needs more then just the peach

mouthfeel is good - medium to full body for a wheat - good carbonation

drinkabiltiy - not good - i will have a hard time drinking this 6 pack