Wheach - O'Fallon Brewery

good

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  5.10% ABV

Imagine our smooth, clean wheat beer with a touch of peach and you get the idea behind O'Fallon Wheach, our peach wheat beer. Light, refreshing and crisp, it's perfect for any occasion!

(Beer added by: Skidz on 06-03-2005)

t0rin0, Mar 29, 2013
3.1/5  rDev -12.9%

Appearance: Pours a clear pale golden color; the bubbly head quickly descends and fails the lacing test

Smell: Wow, lots of overripe peaches; I can almost smell the fuzz on the peach, but it's just a bit much

Taste: Swirling it around in my mouth, the flavor is lovely, like fresh peach juice; the problem comes after the swallow, when the bready wheat flavors join the fray; the flavors just don't come together for me

Mouthfeel: Light body with prickly carbonation; a bit chalky on the finish

Drinkability: So much promise, but in the end a let-down; I don't much care for this at all

Thanks, rsyberg01, for the opportunity

brentk56, Jan 02, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

Simple gold with large bubbles clinging to the glass and miniscule ones racing up to the pure white cap. If this beer uses O'Fallon Unfiltered Wheat as a base beer, then why is it perfectly clear? (note: the beer does become mildly cloudy when the final ounce is added to the glass). The semi-creamy head is a bit watery and leaves evanescent lace as a result.

If the nose is any indication, the brewery added more than the 'touch of peach' that they claim. On the positive side of the ledger, the peachiness smells natural, like the fresh fruit. In addition, it doesn't overpower the underlying wheatiness of the ale. There is no real negative side. Even as one who isn't thrilled with peaches, this is a wonderful peach beer nose.

Unfiltered Wheat is supremely uninteresting beer and does nothing to distinguish itself from the legions of bland APWAs being brewed across America. Wheach is here to provide a much needed kick in the ass. As in the nose, the peachy flavor has been added in just the right amount; it's neither too subtle nor too aggressive.

The problem is, though, the beer tastes harsh for some reason. I expected soft, wheaty and fruity. I'm getting ragged, bitter and peach pitty. Something other than the simple addition of 'natural (peach) flavor' had to have been added to get from Unfiltered Wheat to Wheach. My natural dislike of peach isn't an issue here because I've given several peach beers good scores.

The body is acceptable and actually hits most of its marks given the base beer and the style. It's closer to light than to medium, holds up well with warming (which is more than I can say for the flavor) and is acceptably carbonated.

Wheach (an infinitely superior name to Pheat) was a nice idea that didn't come off as well as it might have. I'm all for jazzing up a lackluster American Pale Wheat Ale, even if peach is the flavor chosen, but I can't help feeling that something went wrong with this particular beer. Smoke is still the star of the O' Fallon Brewery.

BuckeyeNation, Jul 11, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

Come on...it's a total chick beer, right? Well, yea, but one that event that chick's beer enthusiest boyfriend can enjoy. Reminds me much of a wine cooler, but with real peach aromas and flavors, but with a moderate barley / wheat malt base instead of the artificial sugary type. A bit fizzy, but easity overlooked. Strong aromas of peaches (the sweet and mature type) with a sharp and mildly pungent scent. Followed up by wheat esters and malt sweetness. Tastes similarly with an underlying 'beer' character that validated the brew for me. The flavors are a bit subdued in comparison to what the aromas promise. Feels smooth and slight of creamy or velvety -- here the wheat really helps the beer from getting grainy. Finishes with an expected peach flavor that tapers into nothing.

BEERchitect, Nov 19, 2006
2.75/5  rDev -22.8%

GRG1313, Feb 24, 2013

jaydoc, Dec 23, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Served in a Chicago Bears shaker pint glass.

Even though this is the first time I'm having it, I was glad to hear this guy was going year-round. It always seemed like a tasty option to have, no matter the season. Let's see if I've been in any way right: It pours a hazy pale straw topped by about a half-finger or so of white foam. A strong sniff brings out a wave of peach (or is it apricot?), backed by some meek wheat and what may or may not be a pinch of coriander. I kinda like it... The taste holds notes of wheat, lemon zest, tangerine zest, light apricot Jolly Rancher (man, does that take me back...), and coriander. Things come across as a touch muddled, a touch pithy, and a touch musty. These things hurt my perception of this beer's flavor (how's that for a mechanical sentence, eh?). The body is light, with a light moderate carbonation and a wet feel. Overall, a generally alright beer, nothing special, but I could see drinking this again, though not necessarily as my first choice/option.

TMoney2591, Jan 23, 2012
3.6/5  rDev +1.1%

A Pale Wheat Ale with "natural peach flavors".

Into a small goblet it pours a cloudy, pastel yellow that fades into orange. Sticky white foam on top, no lasting lace, but the head retention was pretty good.

Clean mellow flavor, some wheat presence, and definite peach notes, without being cloyingly sweet. Soft, dusty wheat lends a subtle graininess, while the fruity bit qualifies it's namesake. It's decent, clean and easy to sip or quaff, though sort of one-note. Designed for session drinking in warmer months, and maybe converting your macro-drinking friends.

emerge077, Jul 29, 2011
2.85/5  rDev -19.9%

A - Poured out a gold/orange color with a foamy, white one finger head. Left no lace.

S - It smelled of peach, wheat and yeast.

T - The dominant flavor was peach. Very sweet. The wheat taste was minimal.

M - It was a little thin and fizzy. A light-bodied beer.

D - This is an okay beer. It is basically exactly what I expected. Sometimes beers like this can be too sweet or fruity, that is not the case with this. It is not overdone.

zeff80, May 24, 2007
2.93/5  rDev -17.7%

It looks like O'Fallon is contracting out of Stevens Point, WI. Appears a nice semi clouded bright golden hue with almost an orange glow to it. A bright egg shell white head forms thick with fine even lacing. Aroma is strong peach flesh and earthy peach pit tones. Flavor is weird a semi biscuit malt backing with a creamy note clashing with earthy peach pit and flesh tones, a bit juicy. Pretty weird stuff going on here, unremarkable fruity wheat beer it just happens to be a new fruit I've never had in my beer before. Mouthfeel has soft natural carbonation going on. Not bad definitely drinkable stuff just not my cup of tea, keep on searching for something else in their lineup so far Chocolate Cherry beer and this were pretty sorry offerings.

WVbeergeek, Apr 26, 2010
3.38/5  rDev -5.1%

Pours a very effervescent straw with a pinky of pearl white head. Average head retention & lacing

S: Canned peaches & apple blossom, plus some metallic hints lurking as this warms

T: Peach juice, tartness, dryness & some honey up front. Peach, honey & apricot mingle as this warms, plus more tartness. Finishes peachy with pronounced tartness & a hint of lemon

MF: Light/medium bodied, near perfect carbonation, verging on over carbonation

Drinks alright, I can't see me doing any more than 2 unless I am in a jam or it's really hot. This just isn't my cup of tea; my wife really likes it

russpowell, May 07, 2009
3.63/5  rDev +2%

Hazed, dull orange hue, soon-gone head, active carbonation.

Sweet nose, orange and peach, almost too sweet, though, but I don't mind.

A refreshing blast once in the mouth, fresh, flavorful wheat, zesty fruit taste.

But not much beyond that. Fullish body, tangy finish, great wheat texture. And excellent drinking.

Now, I'm wishing I had more than one of these. It's 95 degrees out there, with high humidity. This "wheach" is really hitting the spot.

feloniousmonk, Jul 18, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +36.2%

If I am drinking beer from a CAN and my last one was Schlafly's Summer Ale, I am not likely to stray far. For those not in the know, O'Fallon is about 35 miles due west along I-70 from Saint Loius and I am forever grateful to carln26 for taking me out there during the summer of '06 during my July visit. Kathleen shipped the stray Mr. Moose to me in an empty (!) Wheach box, but given Mr. Moose's state, it may have been full when it was shipped.

From the CAN: "We love beer.", "Riverfront Times 2007 Best Beer in St. Louis" and their website and phone number. "Hello, CAN you send me some more Wheach? and fill up the rest of the box with Smoke?" I'm like the little piggy on the Geico commercial - Wheee!

Crack & Glug time, if there is to be a review. It never ceases to amaze me what an inverted CAN pour will produce. I got a finger of fluffy, bone-white head with only moderate retention, but it looked nice while it lasted. Color was a cloudy peach-yellow (sorry). Nose was peachy keen, yo! Man, did that take me back. We used to pick peaches in a county orchard when I was but a wee lad and this was what it smelled like!

That reminds me - this beer should be accompanied by "Peaches" from the Presidents of the USA. Beer is better with music.

I'm back. Mouthfeel was medium with a taste like having run a knife from pole to pole around a fresh peach (circumnavigating the Equator is for know-nothings), giving it a quick quarter-turn, removing the pit and squeezing the juice right into your mouth. Peachy! Finish was equally peachy.

Bottom line: If you like peaches (and I do), you will really dig this. If you are filling the cooler, this should go in last, right on top. You could show up at the beach lonely, crack one of these and you would be swarmed by honeys. I mean, honey bees. CAN't be sexist in this day and age.

woodychandler, Sep 05, 2010
3.2/5  rDev -10.1%

(Served in an American pint glass)

A- This beer has a hazy pale yellow body with a strong carbonation of big bubbles that race to the surface. There is a snow-white head of various sized bubbles that last for a good bit.

S- The smell of peach is very perfumed but it is not overly chemical, just very strong.

T- The fizz with a hint of peach schnapps is about all I can taste for the first few sips. Then strong note of peach fuzz take over with a faint green hops that is very light in the background. There is a faint lemon tartness in the background in the finish.

M- This beer has a medium-full mouthfeel with a fizz texture.

D- This beer is almost like a soda pop with a big fizz and a strong peach flavor. I would have liked to taste more of the wheat and malt and less fizz in this beer.

rhoadsrage, Jun 05, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +6.2%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, bottled on 8/26/2013. Pours very hazy golden amber color with a 2 finger dense white head with great retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Spotty soapy lacing clings down the glass. Aromas of big ripe peach, lemon zest, pear, apricot, wheat, floral, grass, bread, light honey, and light yeast earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of fruit and malt notes; with good strength. Taste of ripe peach, lemon zest, pear, apple, wheat, floral, grass, light pepper, bread, light honey, and floral earthiness. Lingering notes of peach, light fruits, wheat, floral, grass, light pepper, bread, and light honey on the finish for a short bit. Nice balance of peach, malt, and lightly spicy yeast flavors; with solid robustness and zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and light-medium bodied; with a slightly creamy and very crisp mouthfeel that is good. Alcohol is very well hidden with zero warming present after the finish. Overall this is a very good fruited wheat beer. Good balance of fruit and malt flavors with solid robustness; and very smooth and crisp to drink. A nicely enjoyable offering.

superspak, Nov 02, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +5.3%

mdaschaf, Mar 02, 2013

harpus, Feb 11, 2014
3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

12oz single, Woodman's

appearance: pours from a nifty bottle into a hefe glass...pale hazy golden orange body, light fluffy 1/2" head, decent lacing, quite hazed

smell: sweet, canned peaches dominate the aromas, crisp wheat underneath, hint of toasted malt, light citrus, slightly tart

taste: more of the same...sweet and syrupy canned peaches, lightly toasted malt, crisp and lemony wheat feel, sweet apricot...lots of artificial peach flavouring...pretty decent summer brew, enjoyable

mouthfeel: medium-light body, zesty

drinkability: session

dirtylou, May 08, 2006
3.8/5  rDev +6.7%

Appearance- Pours a soda pop head with the same lack of retention. No ring of foam or filmy foam. Color is a pale, opaque hay yellow. Rather lack luster for lacing in a wheat beer.

Smell- A tit bit perfumey, but not a repelling or overpowering peach perfume. You can still get some cloves and of course wheat in the nose.

Taste- Just peachy if you ask me. Eighty percent peaches and twenty percent wheat and pale malts.

Mouthfeel- The peach mixed with carbonation gives a good fruity pop on the tongue. Not cloying at all for such a strong fruity presence.

scruffwhor, May 20, 2006
3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz bottle split and poured into a Piraat tulip. (Forgot to write the number on the neck down but if it was a Julian date it was around March of 2010).

Thanks to my cousin Dan for sharing another beer!

A - Wheach is a totally hazed beer with a golden yellow color with no head released on the moderate pour. A tiny arch of lace from tilting the glass for a smell is all that's left.

S - Crisp and inviting peach and wheat nose is a bit syrupy in the sweetness of it but it's still thin and keeping the classic wheat nose. Not really much else going on here.

T - A nice punch of peach appears right off the bat which moves seamlessly into a soft wheat flavor. Unfortunately it goes into a little bit of a husky, grainy finish that hurts it a bit. Good balance otherwise and no syrupy flavor.

M - Light-bodied and smooth with a crisp flavor and finish. Refreshing!

D - Great drinkability makes this a good summer beer or light desert beer that would pair well with a cheesecake. Tasty!

BeerFMAndy, Apr 25, 2010
3.31/5  rDev -7%

I don't know what you would like me to say about this beer..."please hold my purse whilst I pee"??? The beer is ok...it has peach aroma and accents. The Wheach poured a yellow clear with thin white head that is to sweet to lace. The scent is has subtle backdrop of peach. The taste weak peach with a wheat beer base. The mouthfeel is lighter in body with good carbonation. Overall this is a good lawn mower beer and capable of competing with the Leinekugles beery Weiss beers.

WoodBrew, Sep 12, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -8.7%

KAF, Aug 06, 2014
3.95/5  rDev +11%

Thanks to resi for the trade.Poured from a 12 oz. can. Has a cloudy golden color with a 1/2 inch head. Smell is very sweet, fresh peaches. Taste is good, peaches up front, a tad sour, some wheat and grains. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and has good drinkability. Overall this is a very good beer.

tone77, Oct 16, 2010
3.93/5  rDev +10.4%

12 ounce bottle. Served in a Sam Adams BL glass, the beer pours a slightly hazy golden color with about an inch or so white head. The head goes away pretty quickly. The aroma is nice, it smells like peaches and some wheat too, but mostly peaches. Taste is the same as the aroma, it's mostly peach with some wheat in there. Mouthfeel/body is light with a good amount of carbonation. Drinkability is good, it would be easy to have quite a few of these on a hot day as it's very refreshing and easy to drink. Overall I think this is a decent fruit beer, I'd pick it up again.

bluejacket74, Jul 25, 2008
4.2/5  rDev +18%

I had this before and can't remember if it was a great fruit beer. Lets see if my palate can judge better now.

A - pale as expected with a slight haze. No foam with a mild lace suggest I may have gotten an older bottle.

S - Peach is pretty strong in the nose with a wheat base. Everything expected from a wheat fruit beer.

T - Sweet peach flavor with a bit of a tart base. No real wheat which leaves instead of a bitter finish, well a sweet one. Unexpected since wheat is strong in the nose that it would be pretty much peach. Enjoyable but one dimensional.

M - Very light in fact I would drink a sixer and keep standing.

D - Well I don't really know any place with a sixer and I believe the individual was around 2.50 so if the six pack was around 10 bucks if I found it, I would get it. Pretty decent fruit beer that delivers great body and tart fruit taste.

DrDemento456, Oct 27, 2010