Whiskey Barrel Smoked Porter - O'Fallon Brewery

Whiskey Barrel Smoked PorterWhiskey Barrel Smoked Porter

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Smoked Beer |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: karst on 03-03-2007)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Whiskey Barrel Smoked Porter Alström Bros
ASymon13

Colorado

4.68/5  rDev +17.3%

I was lucky enough to grab the last bottle of this at a whole foods.

It poors a very dark brown with very very little tan head.

The whiskey really comes through in the smell. There are some of smokey notes, but overall they are very subdued compared to it's un-aged brethren.

It starts out unbelievably smooth, with dashes of the smokeyness which gives way to an unbelievable bourbon-finish which lingers for minutes after sipping it.

There is very little corbonation to this beer, but that only seems to enhance it. Overall it is a great beer and if I manage to see it again I will not hesitate to get another bottle or 10.

02-11-2008 05:05:20 | More by ASymon13
orbitalr0x

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Deep black pour with a nice light tan head and some spotty lacing. So far so good. Aromas of dark roasted malts off the bat with a nice smoky backbone. Bourbon, oak and some vanilla tones all mix into the overall aroma. The smoke and oak aromas work really nice together here.

First sip brings a smooth roasted malt upfront with notes of caramel. Flows into a solid smokiness that is met by a wonderfully smooth bourbon and oak flavor. The flavors meld very well and the smoky accents with the bourbon are great. Finishes smooth with a light bitterness. Damn good.

Mouthfeel is smooth, creamy and medium bodied. Goes down nice. A very enjoyable brew overall with a tasty flavor profile. Definitely a winner from O'Fallon and well worth the trouble to track down. Shows how great barrel aging can be. Thanks to Vancer for this one.

02-07-2008 01:40:38 | More by orbitalr0x
brentk56

3.75/5  rDev -6%

Appearance: Pours a very dary brown color with a nice head that takes a while to settle and leaves some lacing behind

Smell: Tons of smoke and charred wood, plenty of vanilla, a fair amount of beef jerky and, of course, Jim Beam

Taste: Opens with a smokey, whiskey flavor that is distinctly sour by mid-palate; after the swallow, the beer becomes more subtle, with vanilla and Bourbon flavors predominating

Mouthfeel: A blizzard of carbonation dominates the brew such that the body is hard to discern; kind of medium but somewhat watery

Drinkability: Marred by excessive carbonation and a souring element as the beer ages; should be drinking much better at this stage but I fear that this is on its way out

01-17-2008 04:07:51 | More by brentk56
Sammy

Ontario (Canada)

4.33/5  rDev +8.5%

An amazing delicious concoction that reminded me little of the non-barrel version I consumed a few days earlier. The smoked porter definately takes a backseat to the bourbon whiskey sweetness and sourness and some kind of full mouthfeel yeasty reaction that was a delight with a good spicey fish and meat dinner. I am sure it would be great with cajun. A bit woody and vanilla and chocolate. Blackened colour.

11-18-2007 03:56:17 | More by Sammy
Vancer

4.38/5  rDev +9.8%

Finally broke down and popped this one open – and I can’t wait to get some of the next batch. This is a perfect sippin <session> beer (it’s appx 6%).

Coal black pour, just a minimum of head after aging for over a year. Malty and sticky ivory laces, but any carbonation is almost gone.

I take a whiff, and whoa, I’m stunned by the maltiness aroma – and hey, the Jim Beam is lurking just beneath the surface. Coffee, chocolate and or course, a hint of smoke.

I’m digging subtle way the J. Beam is interfused in this brew, quite a strong entrance – but the smokiness mellows ‘er out. A bit on the dry side to finish.

What an easy drinking, smooth, wholly enjoyable porter.

08-20-2007 16:21:18 | More by Vancer
udubdawg

4.65/5  rDev +16.5%

22 oz bomber

Pours a deep brown color with quite a bit of red noticeable when held to the light. A thin head forms and quickly retreats to a partial ring around the glass, leaving no lace. Looks delicious.

The nose is my least favorite aspect, though I love it - it probably deserves a 5 - but I find myself unable to avoid disappointment that the smoke aroma I love on the original beer is so well covered by the Jim Beam and oaky vanilla smells. Oh, the smoke is there, but it is light - I'd agree that with the Beam it makes the aroma scotch-like.

I guess I'm glad that if the smoke had to be hidden, it was in the aroma and not in the taste, which is my favorite part. It is a beautiful combination that is at the same time lightly bitter and charred, with some nice pleasantly sweet chocolate and caramel malt, ample bourbon and vanilla, and...well, shit, you'll just have to try the next batch!

Extremely drinkable. I'd like to see it amped up and given a bit more body as it is just a tad too thin to be perfect, but I suspect when the brewery is licensed for such things we'll see such an offering. Until then this will have to do, and is a wonderful effort.

I loved this beer each time I had it. To avoid ridicule I won't go into detail about the ridiculous lengths I went to to get multiple bottles, but suffice to say it is a sad day that I am down to one bottle, which is promised to someone else.

08-10-2007 21:52:50 | More by udubdawg
grouchomarkks

4.55/5  rDev +14%

I was lucky enough to get a bottle of this at the 2007 Peoria Brew Fest... What a treat! The bottle was a nondescript bomber with no label or makings on the cap... Made it have that black-market kinda feel.

I tried to let it warm up a smidge after pulling from my fridge, in the meantime I was smelling all that great aroma that I expect from the regular "Smoke". This was even better, it had a hint of wood goodness. You could almost eat the aroma.

You almost have a sense that it should be real heavy and thick, but it pours "light". Maybe its just me, but its not a bad thing, it actually makes this beer seem friendlier.

The taste is brilliant. Lots of nice smoke flavor. That same smooth smoke flavor you expect from the classic O'fallon brew... But it also has this tasty bourbon-woody thing going on. What a great combination. Unlike some other bourbon aged beers, this one does not have a big alcohol taste, and I think that contributes to its drinkability.

I will find this and have it again!

08-07-2007 19:29:12 | More by grouchomarkks
drewseslu

4.47/5  rDev +12%

Damn...where to start. I guess at the beginning, right?
I love the base beer for this experiment, one of my real 'local pride' beers. When I was told about this experiment, I was psyched and brewed up a whiskey oak smoked porter based on their recipe, just to hold me over...and its a good thing I did.
Pours deep brown with garnet highlights and wisps of foam.
The aroma is mesmerizing, wood, smoke, caramel, vanilla, char, chocolate, maple syrup, molasses all fade in and out with the substantial malt and bourbon.
The flavor really backs up the aroma and delivers all of the above with a nice whallop, however, the smoke has noticibly faded out. Between the age and the bourbon the hops are effectively gone, simply providing balance, which is all this treat needs.
Soft carbonation, slightly coating in the mouth and quickly fades away.
Drinkability is crazy for a barrel aged beer. I could have several pints of this, something I can't say for most barrel aged beers which I would either be tired of by then or be passed out.
My only complaint is that the smoke has faded out too much, something which I believe will be rectified on the next batch. However, this double wooded assault is one of the best American Porters around, I'm just glad I have one more bomber in the fridge.

08-05-2007 17:43:53 | More by drewseslu
Dansting

4.4/5  rDev +10.3%

Bottle. Pours a blackish-brown color with a thin light-brown head and little-to-no-lacing. Strong aroma of vanilla, whiskey, and wood. Very nice. Easy-drinking mouthfeel. Flavor is very complex and balanced. Flavors of whiskey and vanilla are strong, but the smoked malt is still very apparent. Not sure it is worth the price ($9.99 for a bomber), but a very nice beer.

06-27-2007 02:25:54 | More by Dansting
homebrewhawk

Kansas

Wax dipped 22 oz. brown bomber. Served in a snifter.
Poured a deep brown with a quickly dissapating head.
Great aroma with a little smoke and lots of bourbon, chocolate and vanilla.
I thought the body was a little thin. The smoke was pretty subdued.
Nice chocolate and vanilla flavors. The bourbon flavors really lingered in the finish.

06-08-2007 01:32:02 | More by homebrewhawk
xav33

4.28/5  rDev +7.3%

OFallon Whiskey Barrel Smoked Porter
22 oz bottle
Moderate pour in a cup.
Recent brewing, waxed poetic 05/07.

Poured black, with brown translucent highlights, with an almost nonexisting light brown fizzy head.

Smelt of strong bourbon, smoked jerkey, light coffee, vanilla and chocolate.

Taste was upfront strong sweet and bitter bourbon and oak with moderate bitter smoke and light sweet chocolate followed by a strong bitter oak and smoke flavor and light sweet chocolate and vanilla on an average finish.

Palate was light to medium bodied, watery, barely to softly carbonated and lightly astringent.

Overall, the awesome smoked flavor of the original are subtly masked by the bourbon barrel flavors. Albeit strong and refreshing in taste, the lack of head and lightness of palate may throw off some people. Personally, I only seem to enjoy Ofallon on hot summer days; their mouth weight doesn't have enough gusto to warm up a cold wintery Michigan palate. Still great to try for the fans of OFallon Smoked Porter.

05-31-2007 17:19:04 | More by xav33
Monkeyknife

4.35/5  rDev +9%

Poured from the bottle a beautiful dark deep brown with a finger of creamy tan head. Lacing was minimal.

Smokey caramel malts abound. As it warmed the whiskey aromas really opened up and really came through.

Like the aroma, the whiskey really made itself known as it warmed. Great smokey taste with the presence of the oak.

Mouthfeel is smooth and creamy. Carbonation was very light.

What a nice beer for the late winter/early spring season. Adventurous and strong.

05-31-2007 00:42:46 | More by Monkeyknife
mizzoueng

4.18/5  rDev +4.8%

Appearance - Nice, dark, looks just like Smoked Porter. Only reason I give it a low rating is because there was NO head. This could be attributed to low carbonation. I will confirm with O'Fallon, but I think I just got a bad bottle. Which kinda blows as all the other bottles are sold.

Smell - Jim Beam, smoke, chocolate malt, and more Jim Beam.

Taste - Jim Beam, but watered down. Smoke was there, very subtle, mainly got chocolate malts which add to the flavor of the Jim Beam. Overall a very tasty beer, but maybe a little watery, again, I think this has to do with the carbonation issue I mentioned above.

Mouthfeel - Smooth, oh so smooth. But watery. More watery than what smoked porter should taste like. I was surprised as it was lighter, much lighter than what I am used to.

Drinkability - I shared this bottle with two friends, got about the same repsonses from each. I have another bottle that I will be cracking open someday soon. But I will be buying this when it hits the shelves AGAIN in a couple months.

Overall, this was worth the wait. I love the taste of the smoke and the mix of the JIm Beam. The oak flavors added, which are hard to distinguish as this IS a smoked porter are lovely subtle and sometimes very noticable.

I will say that taking the wax OFF the bottle was hard as the wax actaully worked its way under the lip of the cap. I think that this may be the reason mine was under carbonated. Deffiently an empty I am keeping for my bar collection.

05-20-2007 01:40:08 | More by mizzoueng
hckyfn9999

4.88/5  rDev +22.3%

O'fallon Whiskey Barrel Smoked Porter aged one year according to the 22 oz. bottle. Only 15 cases produced from one Jim Beam barrel, so this is a rarity, although the brewery did get two more barrels. Bottle has a Maker's mark look to it with the red wax over the cap and a similar colored label with a barrel printed lightly in the background. The back label gives some nice information on the beer. Great presentation, too bad that it won't sit on the shelf long enough for others to see, as most of it, if not all, was sold on the first day or at least spoken for.

The beer pours a dark brown with some ruby hues into a snifter with about a finger of tan colored head. Aroma is wonderful. There is definitely whiskey in the nose along with some smoked malt. Also present is charcoal, vanilla, oak, and a bit of grass. This beer has a very scotch-like aroma to it.

Upon entering the palate, there is a touch of sweet cocoa and a hint of caramel initially. This sweetness is then followed up by some charred oak. Next up is a touch of vanilla quickly giving way to a nice bourbon flavor. The bourbon has a great pressence in this beer, it is definitely noticeable but not in an over powering way and no harsh alcohol pressence. Towards the end of the beer, the smoke makes an appearance. The smoke is definitely mellowed from the original Smoked Porter, and it works well. The finish is a bit of bitter grassy hops. Great flavor and very complex.

Mouthfeel is great. This beer is smooth and creamy in the mouth. Carbonation is at a perfect level. This is full bodied for sure, it sort of coats the mouth. Drinkablity is great even at 7%, which is basically unnoticeable. O'fallon is really stepping up their game between this and the 5 Day IPA. I look forward to seeing more great things from this brewery. Luckily I have one more bottle to hold on to.

05-09-2007 03:06:28 | More by hckyfn9999
karst

4.88/5  rDev +22.3%

Shared a bomber with Dave at O'Fallon as he brewed a new batch of Smoke and second batch of 5 Day IPA. Spending a day with a brewer and alternately filling your glass from his tap and bright tanks with these two great beers is my idea of heaven.

Toss in an unlabled bomber of Bourbon Oaked Smoke and it just doesn't get any better.

I find this one time release most interesting as I have a 53 gal Jack Danniels whiskey barrel (identical to the one used for this special release) waiting in the garage for a mid march filling.

With 60+% Bamburg Smoked Malt and clean lager like Kolsch yeast O'Fallon Smoke can give Alaskan Smoked Porter a run for the money. I still prefer the Alderwood smoke to Beechwood smoke but a year on the heavily charred oak staves has metamorphed this beer to another level.

I am predicting that this rare beer will win more recognition for Brian and Dave.

A lot of work goes into a barrel conditioned beer - as the barrel is moved back and forth from walkin cooler out into the brewhouse to allow the wood to expand and allow the porter to interact with the wood. This was carried out for a full year. Result is a super smooth elegant oak dominated smoked porter. Whiskey harshness is non existant. AMAZING!!

Key to a good CAT 22 smoke-flavored and wood-aged beer is balance and a good underlying beer. Here the base beer's medium-light to medium body leaves me yearning for a little bigger mouthfeel. Especially since you want to hold this as long as possible to savor each sip. I think of O'Fallon Smoke as lying between the softer Brown Porter style and the less caramelly Robust Porter with its fuller MF and higher carbonation.

House yeast is WLP 029 German Ale/Kölsch yeast which accentuates flavors. I find no trace of the usual slight sulfur produced during fermentation that has long since disappeared with a year on wood and left a super clean, lager like ale. Hops provide a subdued support. When the labels reach the brewery a few lucky beer lovers will get an unforgettable treat.

Special thanks to Drew for introducing me to his friends at O'Fallon. I can see why you speak so highly of O'Fallon brewers.

03-03-2007 14:54:31 | More by karst