Hemp Hop Rye - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: birchstick on 03-18-2010

This smooth amber ale uses toasted hemp seed to create a nutty flavor in the finish that compliments the rye and hops (a botanical cousin to hemp). The wide assortment of flavors harmonize, creating a uniquely smooth and flavorful beer!

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hemp Hop Rye Alström Bros
2.22/5  rDev -37.3%

Appearance: Slightly cloudy dark yellow/orange. Off white foamy head 1 1/2 fingers. Looks good to go.

Smell: Not a whole lot here. The rye is up front. There are some hops way in the back. The malts are generically sweet and overpowered by a somewhat grainy bitterness.

Taste: Not far off from the smell. I don't really get much hemp at all. The rye is there and not terribly interesting. The hops just don't do much for me either, just barely noticeable.

Mouthfeel: Fairly light with average carbonation. If the beer delivered a little more in flavor this may have complimented it well.

Drinkability: Not a drain pour, but I would turn down free ones in the future. From the name of the beer I thought I would love it. Hops, hemp, rye, all things I love. I just didn't deliver.

2.31/5  rDev -34.7%

When reading the label on this beer I was expecting a really resiny-hopped, rye-spicy, and bong water tangy Amber Ale. This beer had no hoppy deliciousness, no spiciness for the rye, and no real hints of hemp. The only reason I didn't give this beer a 1.0 on taste was because the beer itself is not flawed. It is well-brewed, but just a really funky combo of bland flavors. I'm all for brewing with new things, but only if they taste good and add to the beer. I feel like I was taken by good marketing and duped.

2.33/5  rDev -34.2%

I would love to say this was a great beer and support a local brewery but this beer is really lacking.

Dirty malty notes with a light hop presence of pine with a tad of fruit. Not terribly drinkable. For an american amber I would expect an assertive hop presence and a more complex malt profile.

As far as the hemp... I can't distinguish that it adds any noticeable flavor or quality to the beer.

Wouldn't buy again.

2.36/5  rDev -33.3%

Pours a clear amber with a small head that quickly disappeared. Just a thin film is left behind. Just a few specks of lace stick to the glass during consumption.

Not sure what this beer is after smelling it. Very fruity that reminds me of grape juice. I do not get hemp, hops, or rye. Very underwhelming.

Flavor is dominated by the fruitiness. Sweet malt. Tastes like a below average amber ale without all the superlatives in its name. The only interesting thing about the flavor is the slight rye spice but it is not enough to keep me interested.

Nice body and carbonation. Enjoyable texture that would be nice to drink if the flavor delivered.

Wow, was I mislead by the label on the bottle. The beer does not deliver what is advertised. Very disappointed. Is it an old bottle, who knows because there is no date listed, just some batch code.

2.37/5  rDev -33.1%

Pours as a thick, creamy beer with a slightly red color and a thick fluffy white head that dissipates within a minute. The head quickly turns into a thin barely noticeable cap within two minutes.

The beer tastes muddled. I don't know how else to put this. There is no typical ale taste on the beginning and it does not finish with either a strong or clean finish. There is no "hemp" or "rye" taste anywhere in the tasting. (Pretty sure that's just marketing to get pot heads buying this beer)

Maybe they made it with dirty or old ingredients and maybe I just got a bad batch, but there is likely something off with this recipe.

I'm normally a fan of O'Fallon Brewery and being from St. Louis I'd love to give this a top notch review, but honestly I'm glad I only have two of these beers. Buying a six pack is a waste in my opinion. Not a horrible beer, but all of the other delicious amber ales in the marketplace, definitely one I won't be purchasing again.

2.37/5  rDev -33.1%

12 oz bottle

I agree with a prior reviewer. The hemp, the hop, and above all the rye flavor was missing!

Appearance: brown, not really as 'amber' as others in the style

Smell: hop, but not much else

Taste: malty with grape juice. I felt like I was back in Jr. High drinking Juicy Juice?

What happened?

Mouthfeel: Watery

Overall, I was not pleased with this beer! Yet, I could have received a defective bottle or perhaps their was an error in shipping and handling from the distributor. Again, I was not pleased with this product, but I'll try it again on draught. Perhaps, I'll try another beer from this brewery!

2.38/5  rDev -32.8%

Appearance: Pours a cloudy amber color with a modest head that fades quickly

Smell: Toffee and wort

Taste: Very sweet, from start to finish, with a toffee syrup flavor that has a hint of hemp bitterness that struggles to peak through

Mouthfeel: Thick bodied with low carbonation

Drinkability: An unattenuated mess - I was tempted by the name on the label but the flavor and feel of this beer are really disappointing

2.44/5  rDev -31.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Pours a hazy carmel color with a short, thin white head.

Super light, almost non-existent malt nose.

Mouthfeel is thin and without character.

Flavor is a relatively non-descript light burnt toast malt/bitter character. Purports to be an amber ale but could be a very light version of just about anything because there is no real character to this one.

Very light coffee bitter finish, again without any real character or assertive flavor.

2.48/5  rDev -29.9%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Got this one from a friend after I helped him hang insulation in his basement he is finishing.

Appearance – Aggressive pour into the mug results in a pretty weak sauce looking one finger head, which quickly disappears and leaves no lacing. Pours a deep amber color, which is one redeeming quality of an otherwise underwhelming appearance.

Smell – There is a variety of smells in the nose, but the primary smell to me is something of a metallic or slightly offensive aroma. I got the hoppiness, malt, some grain, and a little fruit, but the metal smell overwhelms all of it.

Taste – Unusual, to say the least. Got some bready notes, malts, and a little fruit in there, but there is a certain strange bitterness to it that does not remind me of hops. Maybe it is the hemp seeds in there or their effect on the brew, I am unsure. What I am sure of is that the unusual finish made me want to drain pour the beer.

Mouthfeel – Carbonation, light to the point of thin.

Overall – Maybe I need to give this one another shot, or try another beer of a similar style. I don’t know if the hemp seeds would throw off a rye/amber ale flavor that much, but I was less than impressed. Again, I seriously debated throwing it out. I wouldn’t recommend this brew, but I’m sure there are those who enjoy it.

2.54/5  rDev -28.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2.5

Poured this 12 oz. brown bottle into a Guinness tulip glass. No date. The body was a dull, hazy orange/brown, sort of like an old penny. A very modest head left a fine film, but no real lacing.

Smell was grainy with a mild sour snap. Dark fruits. Bready. Maybe some floral notes. Aroma is the most interesting aspect of this beer.

Taste was disappointing. I love rye beers, I love hoppy beers, and I've never had a hemp beer but I was very hopeful when trying this amber ale. Primarily malty in flavor. There was a mild spiciness. Some nutty notes. Dirty, not clean at all. Hops were very under-represented here. I'm not sure how they thought it was a good ideal to call this beer "Hemp Hop Rye", Hemp Malt Rye would have been much more appropriate. Dull and uninteresting.

Mouthfeel was undercarbonated. Medium to full bodied, seems too heavy for the style.

2.68/5  rDev -24.3%

A: Hazy brown orange. A little bit of white head, though it dissipates right away.

S: Not a lot of aroma coming off this guy. Maybe a little bready, maybe. There is a little bit of a weird earthy thing going on..

T: Well this is interesting. Malty, with a hint of spice. There is a very odd flavor in the finish. Slightly earthy, but I can't put my finger on it. Perhaps it is the hemp.

M: Light to medium in body. The carbonation is a little on the high side.

D: Not bad, just not good. Overall it seems fairly forgettable, not malty or hoppy enough to shine through.. Especially for a beer that has 'hop' in it's name. Not something I would pour out, but not something I would buy again.

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or information. Don't exactly know what to expect here, so I'm going in unbiased. Never had an O'Fallon beer before, and maybe only one other beer brewed with hemp seeds, but I'm not sure. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours an opaque orange color with absolutely no head whatsoever. Has a lot of strange looking sediment floating around in it. I'm not too sure how I'm feeling about this.

S - I initially thought I could smell some toasted seed type smell (presumably the hemp seeds) but now I'm not so certain. Faintest whiff of earthy malts and hops, but very little else going on.

T - Thankfully this beer doesn't taste nearly as bad as it looks. I seriously almost considered dumping it (something I rarely do, if ever) because I thought it might be bad. Although it might be somewhat on the older side, it remains drinkable, and I have poisoned my body with worse beverages than this even if it was bad. Malty, and a light bitterness from the floral hops. Has some sort of a sweet tea leaf taste going on. No real "hemp" flavor that I am able to detect. Hint of vanilla in there as the beer warms.

M - Malty, dry finish. Maybe some vague fruity sugar aftertaste from the hops if you're lucky.

Overall, not a beer to write home about, but I would gladly give a fresher bottle another go because I don't think I caught this beer at it's prime. Still, better than most swill adjunct lagers that permeate the market.

O'Fallon Hemp Hop Rye Amber Ale ----3/5

2.75/5  rDev -22.3%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Review from notes:

A - Pours copper red with a thin beige head that sinks quickly.

S - Sweet grain, sweet fermented fruit, some tangy caramel, not much going on here.

T - Sweet off the top with over ripened fruit, stale grain, hints of spicy grass, caramel undertones, finishes

M - Light body, with moderate prickly carbonation, slick and thin feel.

I couldn't pick up any of the bold spicy hops that I was expecting and barely got a hint of rye. Pretty sweet with an odd tangyness that seemed out of place. This is a one and done for me.

2.8/5  rDev -20.9%

12 oz. bottle into a pint glass.

Pours a very cloudy, deep copper color. The head is one-finger thick and has very little retention or lacing. The smell is a bit musty with caramel malt and a dirty earthiness dominating any hop presence. There is a quick burst of caramel malt on the palate and then the taste quickly fall off with only a dry bitterness remaining on the midpalate and finish. Very light notes of caramel and biscuit malt, but quite hollow and disappointing. Alcohol isn't noticeable either. Medium-bodied with higher carbonation, a dry finish and no alcohol warming. Dry but easy on the palette, just not interesting or complex at all. Clean but hollow, this is just rather uninspired stuff.

2.84/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Amber with persistant haze, perhaps from flaked barley. with an off-white head that faded fast. Aroma and taste are prominently caramel. Overly so, to my palate, as I find this beer cloyingly sweet. There was something unique in that very first sip, either toasted hemp seeds or rye. It was not pleasant, but my palate quickly became overwhelemed by caramel. The hop character is very disappointing. Why call it hemp hop rye and then dial back the hops so much. There is something to the finish of the beer that is astringent, affecting taste and mouth feel. Upfront, the mouth feel is slick and oily, and the body heavy, thanks to the rye malt and crystal rye. This beer is the second six pack from O'Fallon that has left me disappointed. I don't think there will be a third.

2.87/5  rDev -18.9%

Poured from 12oz bottle.

A- Pours a amberish orange color. One finger white head shows low retention. Lacing on the sides of the glass falls back into the beer.

S- I get some rye in the front of the aroma. There is a light sweetness from the malt toward the middle with a alomst light wet grain scent. Light citrus hops in the ending along with a whiff of alcohol.

T- The rye hits you upfront but in a gentle way. Nothing to in your face at all. The middle of the beer like in the aroma has a light sweet malt that turns into a wet grain flavor. Faded citrus and piney hops in the ending show up to cloud the grainy flavor. Light alcohol in the overall ending doesn't really do much for me but isn't bothersome.

M- Light mouthfeel. Carbonation is good for the style. Light rye and wet grain are left on the palate. Aftertaste is alcohol, grain, and hints of hops. Flavors were kind of running amuck and not blended together. No off flavors were present when I had this. Light alcohol drying left on the palate.

O- This beer really didn't do anything for me. I was expecting a little more rye in the front than what I had and there was no hemp flavor at all in this one. The wet grain flavor and aroma became a little too much for me at times. The faded hops suggested this beer might have been a little older than I had hoped but I don't think it could have made too much of a difference.

2.96/5  rDev -16.4%

12oz bottle. Pours a clear reddish amber with a smallish creamy white head that retains fairly well and leaves some lacing.

The aroma is bready malts with some melon and a little spice (rye?).

The flavor is sweet malts, some ripe fruits, rye and a decent sized spicy hop finish. The mouthfeel is medium bodied and watery with prickly carbonation.

Overall, a decent beer. The flavors just weren't up my alley.

2.98/5  rDev -15.8%

This is a pure gimick beer. Hop Hemp Rye? A pure marketing scheme that lures people into buying a shitty beer. Hop? Nope. Hemp? Nope. Rye? Nope. Shitty, generic amber? Check.

A: Opens with a very, very slight hiss. Almost thought it wasn't carbonated from the softness of the hiss. Pours a chill haze amber similar to the color of a Lincoln penny. Decent one finger white head that leaves quickly.

S: Smell is straight up caramel malts and toffee. Not sure I can augment on the smell because there is just not much there. Not much hops or rye, just straight sweet caramel malt.

T: Plain, caramel, rather sweet. Mediocre amber with no surprises.

Overall, glad I got the tick, but wouldn't get again.

I had this at Big Muddy Pub in Alton,illinois on 7/31/10.This is my first crack at an O'Fallon product.

A-Pours out a muddled,coppery reddish brown with a small,fleeting,dirty white crown that left scant,loose suds.

S-Damp leaves,Pumpernickel,burnt sugar and dry spice.There was an almost forced earthiness that I can only attribute to the addition of hemp.

T-Some rye spice and toasted nuttiness.This beer fell short for me.I think the rye was under done and the toasted hemp seeds lent an almost bad,brown peanut taste to this beer.The rye that was there was muted at best and there was a lack of supporting hops and malt.A muddled offering.

M-Medium bodied with a dry spiciness and moderate carbonation.

D-I obviously didn't enjoy this beer but I believe that for someone that did it would have a reasonable amount of drinkability.

3.03/5  rDev -14.4%

I could not find any dating on the bottle or label. Poured from a bottle into a Duvel tulip. Very hazy amber body with a one-finger light tan, creamy head. Very little retention and lacing.

Interesting aroma that has some light notes of rye and some bready malt. Not much else going on.

The flavor is interesting but not great. Definite notes of rye and malt, but not much notice of the hops. The rye gives just a touch of spiciness.

I hope I didn't get an old bottle that had faded hops, but without the dating, I can't be sure. Good try, but it doesn't work all that well for me.

3.05/5  rDev -13.8%
look: 2.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 2.5

a- pours a light rusty amber. a bit hazier than it seems it should be. the bit of off-white head that was produced didn't stick around very long and reduced to a very thing film and collar.

s- a big caramel malt presence mixes with a rather unpleasant slightly sour spiciness I'm guessing is from the rye. maybe some grassy/earthy tones in there but that's almost stretching for something.

t- the caramel is still the main part of the show. the slightly sour qualities have subdued and the slight spice from the rye is left. stays on the sweet side though there is fairly good bitternes balancing the sweetness. bready qualities mix into the finish.

m- light-medium body with good QC in the carbonation department. nothing really standout but nothing wrong here either.

d- I'm glad this bottle was free and I'm definitely not encouraged to pick up a 6er of this one. It's a unique take on an Amber ale but misses the mark for my tastes.

3.1/5  rDev -12.4%

Poured from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. The pour produced a cloudy orange color. A nice creamy head developed but it did not retain itself. Head retention was below average- no stickage on the glass. The beer smelled of yeast and earth. I got some slight sweetness up front, very light mouthfeel. I taste a slight hint of tea...could this be the hempseeds? I have never had anything with hemp seeds before so I can't say if the taste is there or not. I really didnt pick up the rye taste. Overall its a decent change of pace beer- It might take awhile to finish this six pack but its not horrible. I like it that O'fallon stepped out and created a Hemp Rye beer- I don't know of anyone else doing something similar.

3.13/5  rDev -11.6%

A lunch time offering courtesy of number1bum. Thanks Josh!

Appearance: Poured into my Shorts pint glass, the beer is a cloudy, deep, dull amber color. Despite a rough pour, there's only about a half inch worth of dirty white head floating on top of the brew. The retention is decent, and the lacing leaves some thin soapy rings where the beer comes to settle.

Smell: Not really picking up much hemp, hop, or rye. Actually, that's not entirely true, there is some hop bitterness in there but it's mostly overshadowed by a bready kind of sweetness. Nothing really extraordinary here.

Taste: There's a faint bit of hop bitterness in the finish, but it's mostly a grainy sort of bready malt throughout. I was really hoping for some rye, but alas I remain disappointed.

Mouthfeel: Undercarbonated with a slick kind of texture. Body is light to medium.

Drinkability: I believe that average describes this beer the best. It's not bad, but it isn't really good either. There's no extremes in any of the categories, it's all fairly balanced albeit muted. I wouldn't turn another one down if offered, but I don't think I would bust a nut trying to score some more.

3.15/5  rDev -11%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle with initial 1-2 finger head. Color is reddish copper. I really couldn't pick up any real smell on the pour (might need to let it warm up a bit, possibly). Head dissipates to a very thin ring of foam that persists and provides very slight lacing in the glass. Pretty good mouthfeel and carbonation for an amber ale.

No real hop character stands out in this beer. It is slightly malty sweet on start, with almost a bit of metallic dryness on finish. I once met one of the brewers from OFallon brewing that told me that the hemp seed adds a bit of nuttiness to the flavor, but I really could not pick any up in this beer. It does have a very slight toffee flavor, and maybe just a bit of caramel from the malt.

All in all, not a bad session beer, but there is nothing that really stands out in this brew.

3.15/5  rDev -11%

A- Pours coppery and cloudy, with a one finger head that slowly fades to just a ring around the glass. No lacing present.

S- Bready, some citrus.

T- Toasted malts. Hint hint hint of hemp, nothing that could be picked out without knowing what this beer is, I believe anyway.

M- Medium mouthfeel/carbonation.

D/O- I would imagine if you were more of a fan of this beer you wouldn't think twice about putting down a few easily. This is my second hemp-related beer I've had, the first being made my C'est What? in Canada. From what I recall I enjoyed that one a lot more.

Hemp Hop Rye from O'Fallon Brewery