2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Hemp Hop Rye - O'Fallon Brewery

Hemp Hop RyeHemp Hop Rye

good

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

This smooth amber ale uses toasted hemp seed to create a nutty flavor in the finish that compliments the rye and hops (a botanical cousin to hemp). The wide assortment of flavors harmonize, creating a uniquely smooth and flavorful beer!

(Beer added by: birchstick on 03-18-2010)
View: Beers (15) |  Events
Ratings: 268 | Reviews: 124 | Show All Ratings:
tronester

Oklahoma

3.33/5  rDev -6.5%

A clear amber in appearance with a small head. Light grassy aroma. The taste begins with a huge marijuana flavor, oily, resinous, dank. Then there is some toasty grain, then more resinous bitterness. Mouthfeel is good. Overall a decent beer, though I think the weed flavor was a bit too much (or perhaps it was psychosomatic?)

12-29-2012 23:34:08 | More by tronester
jsprain1

3.3/5  rDev -7.3%

A- Light brown/dark amber with a thin off white slick of a head. Minimal retention or lacing.
S- the aroma is bready, with the rye coming through. Not picking up much hop or hemp. Mostly bread and caramel.
T- My first thought was that it tasted like thinned out liquid malt extract. The rye picks up pretty mightily though. Other than that there wasn't much. Considering "hop" was in the title, I picked up very little bitterness.
M- Pretty firm and thick on the tongue. Carbonation is medium low.
O- Overall, if I didn't know the title of the beer it would have been ok. As is, it tasted like a generic rye ale.

06-07-2012 17:10:25 | More by jsprain1
StonedTrippin

Colorado

3.83/5  rDev +7.6%

a nice idea well executed. my first o'fallon brew was a delight. pourd a light amber red into a chilled pint glass with a nice white head that left lecing all down the glass. the nose was rye for sure, but also heavily hopped in the american ipa range. it doesnt smell like cannabis, but there is a hit of that oily earthy hemp in the aroma. this is a pretty hoppy beer for what is classified here as an amber. it has none of that amber ale sweetness, and isnt particularly malt driven. a nice mouthfeel that permits the flavors to come out, improving as it warms. tasty!

11-06-2011 17:48:27 | More by StonedTrippin
MTNboy

Germany

4.22/5  rDev +18.5%

This beer has a clear copper body that leads to an excellent off white almost tan head. There is great lace and head retention. The aroma is sweet and cereal like. The flavor has lots of biscuit like esters with a little bit of yeast hemp and hop fruitiness. The rye brings some spice to the game. The mouthfeel is slick and medium.

02-13-2011 03:32:48 | More by MTNboy
hooliganlife

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

pour was hazy cloudy orange with hints of light brown and VERY light copper. light fluffy head held around for a bit. light lacing.

light on the nose, my one and only complaint. some dry hopping make help this. light nutty tones and a very light floral hop scent.

a bit complex here, light nutty brown flavors blended with a nice rye bitter bite and a floral and citrus hop flavor. the nutty brown and rye stood out the most. crisp finish.

medium body with a nice crisp carbonation bite. light and easy over all.

this was very enjoyable. a bit vibrant and easy to drink. nice low ABV and great flavor = win!

05-31-2010 22:44:12 | More by hooliganlife
brownbeer

3.9/5  rDev +9.6%

I would have probably put this in the Rye Beer catagory, but that's just me.

I had this on-tap at twilight grille. Pours a rosey amber color with a thin white head.

Nutty is the first thing I think when I smell it. I also get mildly spicy bready and biscuity malts, hints of pine, and a little vomit. (The last one probably doesn't make much sense, but it does to me.)

Nice flavor, the piney, peppery hops jump out in a prickly way on the tongue, which is nice. It's bready and becomes somewhat chocolaty as it warms. The carbonation is great, it has a lot more body than I expected, also a plus. Plenty of flavor through and through.

Very enjoyable beer. I won't track it down, but I could see this making a solid fall seasonal.

04-03-2010 01:28:15 | More by brownbeer
birchstick

Colorado

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%

Served on tap at Dressel's Pub in St. Louis

A - pours a pale copper / golden yellow - right between the two colors - with a creamy head

S - smells of rye malts and grapefruit hops

T - taste follows the nose. There are some bread and rye malts that are balanced with fruity, bitter, grapefruit hops on the finish. I really like the sweet taste balanced with the rye malts. Not uberly complex, but very delicious.

M - medium bodied with low carbonation - pretty smooth mouthfeel

D - This was a very good beer from O'Fallon. Once this comes out in 6 packs, it will be no 2 behind the 5 Day in my go-to's from this brewery. If you are in St. Louis, definitely try it - it is a good addition to the beers produced in the area.

03-18-2010 20:12:52 | More by birchstick
ChristopherWIU-UTPA

3.56/5  rDev 0%

This beer uses a great mix of rye and hops. It pours golden and hazy, with a finger width head, with no lacings, and decent carbonation. It has rye aroma, with a strong rye taste, with hints of caramel, herbs, and citrus. it is drinkable, no edge, and has rye after taste...

04-15-2014 21:57:24 | More by ChristopherWIU-UTPA
DougT

3.85/5  rDev +8.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a pilsner glass.

Clear orange/amber color with fluffy pumpkin colored 2 finger head. Good head retention and decent lacing on the glass.

Caramel, citrus, grain, and malt smells. Somewhat sweet.

Good flavor. Caramel, hops, rye, woody, not too sweet tasting. Very drinkable.

Medium body, a little watery in the aftertaste. Bubbly tingle helps.

Overall a very drinkable, refreshing Amber Ale. I like it.

03-30-2014 01:01:21 | More by DougT
mrfrancis

Kentucky

3.95/5  rDev +11%

A: Pours a clear amber with a creamy, pillowy white head.

S: Aromas of caramel, lemon, biscuits, black pepper, toasted hemp seeds, and rye bread present themselves on the nose.

T: Notes of caramel, toffee, roasted nuts, rye bread, black pepper, herbs, lemon, lime, and hemp seed coat the palate. The finish is long and turbulent with caramel, rye bread, lemon, and black pepper notes vying for dominance.

M: Medium in body, dryish, and unusually velvety in the mouth. Carbonation is firm, but not all that intense. Very drinkable for the style.

O: This is a very nice little ale. I have no clue why I put off trying this for so long because I really enjoyed the unusual mélange of flavors presented by this beer. Definitely worth trying for fans of the style.

02-01-2014 20:55:01 | More by mrfrancis
Captain_Komamura

3.63/5  rDev +2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - an amber color, with no head at all.

Smell - a sweet caramel malt smell, with a the hops coming in a bit.

Taste - like the smell, but with the rye giving the beer a base.

Mouthfeel - Good carbonation, but it was a bit weak.

Overall - Not that bad, I'm not sure what hemp taste like so its nice to try a beer like this; something different.

11-27-2013 00:15:43 | More by Captain_Komamura
pweis909

Wisconsin

2.83/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Amber with persistant haze, perhaps from flaked barley. with an off-white head that faded fast. Aroma and taste are prominently caramel. Overly so, to my palate, as I find this beer cloyingly sweet. There was something unique in that very first sip, either toasted hemp seeds or rye. It was not pleasant, but my palate quickly became overwhelemed by caramel. The hop character is very disappointing. Why call it hemp hop rye and then dial back the hops so much. There is something to the finish of the beer that is astringent, affecting taste and mouth feel. Upfront, the mouth feel is slick and oily, and the body heavy, thanks to the rye malt and crystal rye. This beer is the second six pack from O'Fallon that has left me disappointed. I don't think there will be a third.

09-13-2013 01:31:47 | More by pweis909
TheDrunkenDwarf

3.18/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.25

Poured from bottle with initial 1-2 finger head. Color is reddish copper. I really couldn't pick up any real smell on the pour (might need to let it warm up a bit, possibly). Head dissipates to a very thin ring of foam that persists and provides very slight lacing in the glass. Pretty good mouthfeel and carbonation for an amber ale.

No real hop character stands out in this beer. It is slightly malty sweet on start, with almost a bit of metallic dryness on finish. I once met one of the brewers from OFallon brewing that told me that the hemp seed adds a bit of nuttiness to the flavor, but I really could not pick any up in this beer. It does have a very slight toffee flavor, and maybe just a bit of caramel from the malt.

All in all, not a bad session beer, but there is nothing that really stands out in this brew.

08-24-2013 23:43:46 | More by TheDrunkenDwarf
mfnmbvp

2.8/5  rDev -21.3%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or information. Don't exactly know what to expect here, so I'm going in unbiased. Never had an O'Fallon beer before, and maybe only one other beer brewed with hemp seeds, but I'm not sure. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours an opaque orange color with absolutely no head whatsoever. Has a lot of strange looking sediment floating around in it. I'm not too sure how I'm feeling about this.

S - I initially thought I could smell some toasted seed type smell (presumably the hemp seeds) but now I'm not so certain. Faintest whiff of earthy malts and hops, but very little else going on.

T - Thankfully this beer doesn't taste nearly as bad as it looks. I seriously almost considered dumping it (something I rarely do, if ever) because I thought it might be bad. Although it might be somewhat on the older side, it remains drinkable, and I have poisoned my body with worse beverages than this even if it was bad. Malty, and a light bitterness from the floral hops. Has some sort of a sweet tea leaf taste going on. No real "hemp" flavor that I am able to detect. Hint of vanilla in there as the beer warms.

M - Malty, dry finish. Maybe some vague fruity sugar aftertaste from the hops if you're lucky.

Overall, not a beer to write home about, but I would gladly give a fresher bottle another go because I don't think I caught this beer at it's prime. Still, better than most swill adjunct lagers that permeate the market.

O'Fallon Hemp Hop Rye Amber Ale ----3/5

01-31-2013 23:34:14 | More by mfnmbvp
StaveHooks

Oklahoma

2.75/5  rDev -22.8%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Review from notes:

A - Pours copper red with a thin beige head that sinks quickly.

S - Sweet grain, sweet fermented fruit, some tangy caramel, not much going on here.

T - Sweet off the top with over ripened fruit, stale grain, hints of spicy grass, caramel undertones, finishes

M - Light body, with moderate prickly carbonation, slick and thin feel.

I couldn't pick up any of the bold spicy hops that I was expecting and barely got a hint of rye. Pretty sweet with an odd tangyness that seemed out of place. This is a one and done for me.

01-25-2013 16:55:42 | More by StaveHooks
jt31914

3.46/5  rDev -2.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a completely average beer. The appearance is decent. A nice light amber color. I would like a little more head and I think the color could be a bit darker. The smell is not that existent. Light malt and caramel but hardly any hops. The taste is the best part of the beer. it is a little sweet, but the malt presence is very nice. The taste is caramel and a slight earthiness due to the hemp seeds. I would compare this to Dark Horse Amber Ale. It is a nice flavor but not overwhelming or overly impressive. This beer is smooth and quite nice to drink, but it is not perfectly crafted for the style and is not different enough to make up for it. Decent beer.

01-23-2013 04:20:45 | More by jt31914
JuicesFlowing

Kansas

3.99/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer's off-white foamy head sits on top of a hazy, honey-amber body. Webby rings of lacing decorate the glass, while there is also good head retention.

The beer smells of sweet fruits (apples, apricots), malts, caramel.

The taste is complex, like all good ambers. First a dry rye malt note is followed by toffee and caramel in the body. There's a dry, toffee-like finish, with a faint black licorice note as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, somewhat sticky.

Overall, a decently complex brew with a lot of good amber ale qualities. Definitely no regrets for this purchase.

01-17-2013 17:45:47 | More by JuicesFlowing
BierStein711

2.33/5  rDev -34.6%

Drainpour!

12 oz bottle

I agree with a prior reviewer. The hemp, the hop, and above all the rye flavor was missing!

Appearance: brown, not really as 'amber' as others in the style

Smell: hop, but not much else

Taste: malty with grape juice. I felt like I was back in Jr. High drinking Juicy Juice?

What happened?

Mouthfeel: Watery

Overall, I was not pleased with this beer! Yet, I could have received a defective bottle or perhaps their was an error in shipping and handling from the distributor. Again, I was not pleased with this product, but I'll try it again on draught. Perhaps, I'll try another beer from this brewery!

12-16-2012 07:38:04 | More by BierStein711
morimech

2.35/5  rDev -34%

Pours a clear amber with a small head that quickly disappeared. Just a thin film is left behind. Just a few specks of lace stick to the glass during consumption.

Not sure what this beer is after smelling it. Very fruity that reminds me of grape juice. I do not get hemp, hops, or rye. Very underwhelming.

Flavor is dominated by the fruitiness. Sweet malt. Tastes like a below average amber ale without all the superlatives in its name. The only interesting thing about the flavor is the slight rye spice but it is not enough to keep me interested.

Nice body and carbonation. Enjoyable texture that would be nice to drink if the flavor delivered.

Wow, was I mislead by the label on the bottle. The beer does not deliver what is advertised. Very disappointed. Is it an old bottle, who knows because there is no date listed, just some batch code.

11-04-2012 18:06:41 | More by morimech
Lemke10

Wisconsin

3.45/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

I got this as part of a M&M 6pk from Woodman’s in Sun Prairie, WI in summer 2012.

Pours a clear, dark amber color with only a slight head. The scent is malty with some slight hints of hops and rye. Taste is mild and initially hits with a bold rye/toasted malt taste, however the flavor quickly diminishes. There is a slightly chalky after taste that leaves my mouth slightly dry. Better than average but could really use some work to make this a fantastic brew.

09-23-2012 05:00:04 | More by Lemke10
TSJ4000

Iowa

2.3/5  rDev -35.4%

When reading the label on this beer I was expecting a really resiny-hopped, rye-spicy, and bong water tangy Amber Ale. This beer had no hoppy deliciousness, no spiciness for the rye, and no real hints of hemp. The only reason I didn't give this beer a 1.0 on taste was because the beer itself is not flawed. It is well-brewed, but just a really funky combo of bland flavors. I'm all for brewing with new things, but only if they taste good and add to the beer. I feel like I was taken by good marketing and duped.

05-14-2012 01:59:14 | More by TSJ4000
homebrew311

3.68/5  rDev +3.4%

A: pours clear reddish amber, 1 cm of white head, decent lacing

S: earthy and herbal hop profile, spicy rye, toasty malt, grass

T: like the nose... Lots of earthy hop character, toffee malts, grassy finish, some citrus

Mf: medium body, moderate carbonation

O: nice balance, lots of flavor, finish is clean and minimal on the bitterness scale, worth a try

04-20-2012 23:35:05 | More by homebrew311
ONUMello

3.53/5  rDev -0.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

12oz bottle poured into a pint glass
A: Transparent amber brown with a 1/2 finger head that lingers for a bit.
S: Extremely muted, my nose was practically getting wet before I could smell anything. What's there is pleasant with sharp rye grain and a hint of pine hops.
T: Again has the spicy rye bite and I've had hemp chips before and I get the hemp flavor here but don't know quite how to describe it. Kind of a mix of dried grain and green plant. A hint of hops poke through on the finish but then it turns back to rye as the finish lingers.
M: Medium-bodied; crisp initially but rounds out towards the end.
O: Well made and a nice mashup with the hemp and rye. It's certainly true to its name, and I enjoyed it.

04-09-2012 23:41:06 | More by ONUMello
TheCondor

2.48/5  rDev -30.3%

Poured from a bottle into a mug. Got this one from a friend after I helped him hang insulation in his basement he is finishing.

Appearance – Aggressive pour into the mug results in a pretty weak sauce looking one finger head, which quickly disappears and leaves no lacing. Pours a deep amber color, which is one redeeming quality of an otherwise underwhelming appearance.

Smell – There is a variety of smells in the nose, but the primary smell to me is something of a metallic or slightly offensive aroma. I got the hoppiness, malt, some grain, and a little fruit, but the metal smell overwhelms all of it.

Taste – Unusual, to say the least. Got some bready notes, malts, and a little fruit in there, but there is a certain strange bitterness to it that does not remind me of hops. Maybe it is the hemp seeds in there or their effect on the brew, I am unsure. What I am sure of is that the unusual finish made me want to drain pour the beer.

Mouthfeel – Carbonation, light to the point of thin.

Overall – Maybe I need to give this one another shot, or try another beer of a similar style. I don’t know if the hemp seeds would throw off a rye/amber ale flavor that much, but I was less than impressed. Again, I seriously debated throwing it out. I wouldn’t recommend this brew, but I’m sure there are those who enjoy it.

03-13-2012 02:09:57 | More by TheCondor
Blueribbon666

3.95/5  rDev +11%

Review from notes.
Pours into dimpled mug a hazy orange with very little head retention but good carbonation.
Smells of bread, malt, hops, mild citrus and a bit of the rye mentioned.
Malty goodness with a kiss of hops on the front end that mixes with the rye which isn't overpowering but instead gives this brew a nice crisp mouthfeel before a clean dry finish. Saw a single and had to try, very good beer for meals or session. Would get a six and recommend to others.

02-26-2012 13:38:42 | More by Blueribbon666