1. Extreme Beer Fest tickets go on sale Sat, Sep 27 @ Noon EDT.

Hemp Hop Rye - O'Fallon Brewery

Hemp Hop RyeHemp Hop Rye

good

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

American Amber / Red Ale |  5.50% ABV

This smooth amber ale uses toasted hemp seed to create a nutty flavor in the finish that compliments the rye and hops (a botanical cousin to hemp). The wide assortment of flavors harmonize, creating a uniquely smooth and flavorful beer!

(Beer added by: birchstick on 03-18-2010)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Hemp Hop Rye Alström Bros

boudreaux, Feb 17, 2013

RedneckBeerz, Feb 06, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +5%

chrishensley, Feb 01, 2013
2.8/5  rDev -21.6%

12 oz. bottle, with no apparent bottled on date or information. Don't exactly know what to expect here, so I'm going in unbiased. Never had an O'Fallon beer before, and maybe only one other beer brewed with hemp seeds, but I'm not sure. Poured into a Firestone Walker pint glass.

A - Pours an opaque orange color with absolutely no head whatsoever. Has a lot of strange looking sediment floating around in it. I'm not too sure how I'm feeling about this.

S - I initially thought I could smell some toasted seed type smell (presumably the hemp seeds) but now I'm not so certain. Faintest whiff of earthy malts and hops, but very little else going on.

T - Thankfully this beer doesn't taste nearly as bad as it looks. I seriously almost considered dumping it (something I rarely do, if ever) because I thought it might be bad. Although it might be somewhat on the older side, it remains drinkable, and I have poisoned my body with worse beverages than this even if it was bad. Malty, and a light bitterness from the floral hops. Has some sort of a sweet tea leaf taste going on. No real "hemp" flavor that I am able to detect. Hint of vanilla in there as the beer warms.

M - Malty, dry finish. Maybe some vague fruity sugar aftertaste from the hops if you're lucky.

Overall, not a beer to write home about, but I would gladly give a fresher bottle another go because I don't think I caught this beer at it's prime. Still, better than most swill adjunct lagers that permeate the market.

O'Fallon Hemp Hop Rye Amber Ale ----3/5

mfnmbvp, Jan 31, 2013

jkermitj, Jan 26, 2013
2.75/5  rDev -23%
look: 2.75 | smell: 2.75 | taste: 2.75 | feel: 2.75 | overall: 2.75

Review from notes:

A - Pours copper red with a thin beige head that sinks quickly.

S - Sweet grain, sweet fermented fruit, some tangy caramel, not much going on here.

T - Sweet off the top with over ripened fruit, stale grain, hints of spicy grass, caramel undertones, finishes

M - Light body, with moderate prickly carbonation, slick and thin feel.

I couldn't pick up any of the bold spicy hops that I was expecting and barely got a hint of rye. Pretty sweet with an odd tangyness that seemed out of place. This is a one and done for me.

StaveHooks, Jan 25, 2013
3.46/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

This is a completely average beer. The appearance is decent. A nice light amber color. I would like a little more head and I think the color could be a bit darker. The smell is not that existent. Light malt and caramel but hardly any hops. The taste is the best part of the beer. it is a little sweet, but the malt presence is very nice. The taste is caramel and a slight earthiness due to the hemp seeds. I would compare this to Dark Horse Amber Ale. It is a nice flavor but not overwhelming or overly impressive. This beer is smooth and quite nice to drink, but it is not perfectly crafted for the style and is not different enough to make up for it. Decent beer.

jt31914, Jan 23, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9%

yankinwis, Jan 23, 2013
3.99/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured into a shaker pint glass.

The beer's off-white foamy head sits on top of a hazy, honey-amber body. Webby rings of lacing decorate the glass, while there is also good head retention.

The beer smells of sweet fruits (apples, apricots), malts, caramel.

The taste is complex, like all good ambers. First a dry rye malt note is followed by toffee and caramel in the body. There's a dry, toffee-like finish, with a faint black licorice note as well.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied, somewhat sticky.

Overall, a decently complex brew with a lot of good amber ale qualities. Definitely no regrets for this purchase.

JuicesFlowing, Jan 17, 2013
3.25/5  rDev -9%

Stoshua, Jan 16, 2013

deweese, Jan 06, 2013
3.75/5  rDev +5%

TheArmadillo, Jan 05, 2013

MikieV, Jan 05, 2013
3.33/5  rDev -6.7%

A clear amber in appearance with a small head. Light grassy aroma. The taste begins with a huge marijuana flavor, oily, resinous, dank. Then there is some toasty grain, then more resinous bitterness. Mouthfeel is good. Overall a decent beer, though I think the weed flavor was a bit too much (or perhaps it was psychosomatic?)

tronester, Dec 29, 2012

Caskaway, Dec 17, 2012
2.33/5  rDev -34.7%

Drainpour!

12 oz bottle

I agree with a prior reviewer. The hemp, the hop, and above all the rye flavor was missing!

Appearance: brown, not really as 'amber' as others in the style

Smell: hop, but not much else

Taste: malty with grape juice. I felt like I was back in Jr. High drinking Juicy Juice?

What happened?

Mouthfeel: Watery

Overall, I was not pleased with this beer! Yet, I could have received a defective bottle or perhaps their was an error in shipping and handling from the distributor. Again, I was not pleased with this product, but I'll try it again on draught. Perhaps, I'll try another beer from this brewery!

BierStein711, Dec 16, 2012