2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Smoked Porter - O'Fallon Brewery

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Dark, rich and smoky…this classic porter is brewed with 63% German smoked malt and makes a perfect after dinner (or anytime) sipper for those who love a “bigger” beer. Winner of the Gold Medal in the 2004 Great American Beer Festival® for best Smoked Beer in America!

(Beer added by: maxpower on 12-26-2002)
View: Beers (16) |  Events
Ratings: 448 | Reviews: 342 | Show All Ratings:
tronester

Oklahoma

A dark brown in color with a thin tan head. Aromas of BBQ and some coffee. Taste is smokey, creamy, with some dark bread in the middle, and a piney finish. Mouthfeel is smooth. The carbonation levels are a bit low. Overall an excellent porter that I would get again.

12-30-2012 00:14:31 | More by tronester
Reaper16

Alabama

3.9/5  rDev +1%

served on-tap at Flying Saucer, Kansas City, MO into a pint glass

Pours a, well, let's just call it black. The head on this pour was essentially nonexistent, though it laces okay. A strange, glossy sheen covered the top of the beer.

Oh, yeah. This is really smoky on-tap. I'm from Kansas City -- the barbecue capital of Earth -- so I loves me some smoke. The smoked malt utterly dominates the nose. Some roasted qualities show through, too.

Smoky malts are the main attraction here. Slight dark fruits in the middle of the drink. The roasted, chocolaty flavors force their way to the forefront at the end. The roasted malt and the heavy smoke combine for an aftertaste that is kind of astringent.

The feel is not as creamy as I may have wanted. It is solidly in the "thin" category. I like this beer's smokyness quite a bit, but I wouldn't want many in one night. All of that smoke would be pretty harsh on the 'ol palate.

07-16-2009 17:57:51 | More by Reaper16
glid02

Georgia

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Had on-tap at Sycamore in Columbia, MO.

Pours black with dark ruby highlights and a one-finger light brown head. The head recedes into a wispy layer on top leaving solid lacing.

Smells of smoked malts, and lots of them. However, a good bit of roasted malt aromas get through as well.

Tastes similar to how it smells. Loads of smoked and roasted malt flavors up front give way to unsweetened chocolate for a split second before ending with a solid bitterness.

Mouthfeel is good. It has a nice thickness with grainy carbonation.

Drinkability is great. I had no problem finishing the glass and could easily have a few of these.

Overall this is a very good smoked porter that drinks bigger than it's modest 6%. Definitely worth a shot.

06-03-2009 04:23:53 | More by glid02
udubdawg

Kansas

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

enjoyed on tap at Iron Barley in STL with some ridiculous oak-roasted pork, and subsequently several times from the bottle. Also enjoyed discussing the beer with the crew at O'Fallon, even tasting some of the beechwood smoked malt.

Very dark brown pour with a foamy tan head. Most recedes quickly, but a stubborn ring lasts till near the bottom and laces pretty well.

Nice light flowery fruit smell...kidding! Simply put, it smells like smoke, but it isn't simple at all...I doubt I can do it justice...big, roasty, charred-man-food smoke smell, and I love it.

Great taste. Yes, there is smoke, but it isn't overpowering. This is still a beer, and a damn fine one. There is a lot of carmelized/burnt sugar sweetness, and a bit of bittering. I remember at first I wasn't sure how I'd feel about the smoked beechwood, as I'm used to some other woods, but I can't argue with the results. It is interesting to read other reviews where some people note nothing but smoke, while others request additional smoke. While I don't think it needs any more, to me it is far from overdone.

Very nice medium bodied creamy mouthfeel. A bit drying in the finish. Not something I usually session, but I'd drink a couple anyday...like today, when I'm enjoying it with some great smoked brisket.
Brian and Dave: Well done. This is deeply deserving of the accolades it has received.

03-31-2007 21:09:21 | More by udubdawg
beerphilosopher

3.63/5  rDev -6%

Had this one on tap at a little place in St. Louis whose name escapes me ... I remember they had a good bowl of soup too though ...

A - Very deep brown and almost opaque. The head was off-white ...almost the color of the froth on top of hot cocoa ...and quite thick. A lot of lacing remaining on the pint glass.

S - Like a porter should smell ... I had expected a little more of the "smoky" aroma up front though. Smelled very good, but a little non-descript.

T - Wow, the aroma doesn't give away the smoky flavor in this beer. It's quite pronounced. Rich and thick ... very earthy too. Woody notes with thick, "outdoors" type smoke character ... like this was smoked over oak leaves or something. The smoke flavor is a bit of a shock to the senses at first, but it's pleasant and intruiging. This beer is pretty well balanced, and you can taste some hop flavor amid the dark, smoked malt.

M - Pretty thick and heavy, but in a good way. Well-balanced mouthfeel. The smoky tatse leaves a residual effect in the mouth ... kind of like breathing in a bonfire's smoke. Again, really intruiging.

D - This beer could easily be offensive with it's strong flavors, but it's not. In fact, I'd say it's really quite drinkable. I'd have another, and probably will the next time I get a chance. If you like Porters, you'll like this one. If you like smoked porters, you'll really like this one. Not my very favorite style, but I truly enjoyed the uniqueness of this beer. Recommended.

01-04-2006 22:06:19 | More by beerphilosopher
Rizalini

Nevada

4.16/5  rDev +7.8%

Poured from a 12oz bottle I've had in my cellar for about a year (not intentionally, just kinda happened that way), into a tulip...

A - Pours a very dark cola brown, with a creamy light brown head that's about a finger thick. Some pretty thick lacing on the sides as the head falls.

S - Very nice smoke aroma that is very prominent. Smells like a good smoked porter should.

T/M - The taste is where it seems too fall off a little bit for me. Waviering on the thin/watery side, the mouthfeel leaves a little something to be desired. The flavor however is a little bit better. The base beer is noticable, with some dak fruits and char that are associated with a good porter. The smoke is more in the aftertaste, but not too much.

O - It's a pretty solid smoked porter. If I could get this regularly here in Las Vegas, I think I would probably purchase this one again.

04-09-2014 01:54:59 | More by Rizalini
superspak

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%

12 ounce bottle into pint glass, no bottle dating. Pours clear very dark reddish brown color with a 1-2 finger dense khaki head with good retention, that reduces to a small cap that lingers. Light spotty soapy lacing clings on the glass. Aromas of big chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, smoked meat, roasted malt, toast, biscuit, light coffee, light nuttiness, herbal, and toast/smoke earthiness. Very nice aromas with good balance of dark/bready and smoked malt notes; with good strength. Taste of chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, toast, biscuit, smoked meat, light raisin, light coffee, light nuttiness, herbal, and toasted earthiness. No bitterness on the finish; with lingering notes of chocolate, caramel, brown sugar, toast, biscuit, smoked meat, light raisin, light nuttiness, herbal, and toasted earthiness on the finish for a bit. Nice balance of dark/bready malt and moderate smoked malt flavors, but lacking in robustness; zero cloying flavors after the finish. Medium carbonation and body; with a fairly creamy, smooth, and crisp mouthfeel that is nice. Alcohol is very well hidden with minimal warming present after the finish. Overall this is a nice smoked porter. Good balance of dark/bready malt and moderate smoked malt flavors; and very smooth to drink. Not as robust or smokey in the flavor as I had hoped for, but nicely enjoyable otherwise.

04-05-2014 19:05:30 | More by superspak
Ozzylizard

3.4/5  rDev -11.9%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle labeled 1942OF2 at 45 degrees into goblet; newer label than shown on BA; this one has 2004 award
Aroma of smoke, not overpowering. More of hardwood than peat
Head small (1.5 cm), light brown, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to nothing
Lacing none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor slightly sweet, smokey. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl, maybe some roasted malt. Ends with a light smokiness.
Palate medium to full, watery, carbonation lively

OK, I’m a fan of rauch beers and porters, so maybe I was expecting too much. While there is definitely a pleasant amount of smokiness in this beer, the only characteristics of a porter present are the color and palate. Perhaps the brewing process for this beer has changed since the 2004 award or perhaps my expectations are too high; either way, this beer is mediocre at best. The fizzy, completely diminishing head detracts from the appearance (and my enjoyment) of this offering.

03-30-2014 14:18:00 | More by Ozzylizard
tmm313

Georgia

4.43/5  rDev +14.8%

A- Poured pitch black in the glass. 1 finger tan head with nice lacing.

S- At first, I was stunned to smell Canadian Bacon. I expected smoke, not meat! As it warmed, it reminded me more of pork rib burnt ends with dark fruits, chocolate, and molasses. I was conflicted in the beginning, but halfway through, I couldn't keep my nose out of this thing!

T- Beautifully balanced and complex. Smoked pork, chocolate, molasses, dark fruit, coffee, and slight bready malts mingle together and merge to form some amazing flavor combinations.

M- Medium body with nice carbonation. Drying.

O- I really enjoyed this beer! I wasn't expecting the meaty flavors in the least, but I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. I would have this again in a heartbeat.

02-11-2014 20:02:34 | More by tmm313
DougT

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Black with dark brown edges. 2 finger tan head disipated quickly. Leaves a layer of foam but minimal lacing.

Smells strongly of smoke. Dark fruits, red wine, and a little like a stake on the grill or bacon. Very appealing.

Taste is not as complex, but good. The smoke is there. Not too sweet. Not too bitter. A nice porter. The smoke really adds a lot.

Mouthfeel is a little light for a porter but there is enough fizz to keep it interesting.

Overall it's good. It's a drinkable porter and the smoke makes it interesting.

02-05-2014 04:08:07 | More by DougT
darthvohn

3.69/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Glass Used: Tumbler

Appearance: Dark espresso brown with a mocha colored foam; the head quickly recedes leaving a ring around the edge of the glass and a thin film of patchy bubbles.

Smell: Like smoldering firewood, smoked bacon, with a bit of hop and malt character.

Taste: Smoked ham, malty porter. This is quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Thick with a bit of mouth coating.

Overall: Being my second smoked beer I've had, this one I like. This would be an awesome after meal drink. Nothing I would want to session, but a relaxation brew. Recommend.

02-02-2014 23:49:27 | More by darthvohn
MaillardRx

Kansas

1.13/5  rDev -70.7%

Yuck.

A: Dark, no lacing, minimal head, very unflattering

S: Smokey, smells like barbecue potato chips

T: Repugnant, it tastes like liquid smoke

M: Nothing much here, almost flat

O: I never thought I would find myself saying I regret drinking a beer, but alas here we are. I felt sick to my stomach afterward. Maybe I got a terrible batch, as others seem to like it, but this was a violent assault on my taste buds, and later, my GI tract.

01-20-2014 19:37:04 | More by MaillardRx
Omnium

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pitch black with 1.5 fingers of tan milky head, spotty lacing.
S - Excellent aroma, nice hickory and oak, some burnt bacon, a little nutty, toffee and biscuit notes.
T - Taste lacks in the smoke, could use a lot more, a good porter though for sure, nice rich malt, a little bit of that bacony type flavor, toasted grain, a little nutty too.
M - Very creamy and rich, but still on the medium side.
O - Good Smoked porter, just wish it had more potency in the flavor.

01-10-2014 04:25:10 | More by Omnium
metter98

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

A: The beer is essentially jet black in color—only faint traces of red are visible near the corner of the glass when it is held up to a bright light. It poured with a quarter finger high light tan head that died down ,leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a thick collar around the edge of the glass.
S: The smell has moderate aromas of smoked peat are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of smoked peat along with slight hints of molasses.
M: It feels light-to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is not your average smoked parter—it has a strong amount of smoked peat in the aromas akin to something you would expect from a stronger stout.

12-28-2013 01:48:42 | More by metter98
chinchill

South Carolina

3.43/5  rDev -11.1%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.5

Undated 12 oz bottle with updated label showing the 2004 GABF Gold medal (best smoked beer).
Pours a very dark reddish-brown with a small, weak head. Lacing is nonexistent.
Aroma: rather strongly smoky such that the other dark roasted malts are nearly hidden. A hint of sweet, dark fruits.
The flavor is less smoky, but still at least medium.
Feel: medium-full body with (overly) light carbonation.
O: a rich, smoky porter that will work great with beef and other meats.

10-29-2013 23:12:12 | More by chinchill
KYGunner

Kentucky

3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Deep black meets the eye but the real dark brown coloring reveals itself at the edges as a small bit of light is able to penetrate. The head was a bit fizzy, mounted well but dissipated quickly.

The scent is smokey with a sweet dried meat aroma. Beef jerky and a cured smoked pork aroma are also evident. Plenty thick in the nose it's just short of truly telling.

Not a lot of porter character here this seems to be all Rauschbier. The taste is more to the sweet smoked meat. A note of true smoke passes the palate near the finish. The meat flavors are more pork, with an above average sweetness and then a dry Smokey finish.

The feel is a bit thin but good enough, less carbonated than it appears and slightly dry.

Overall, I really like this. Just a step below the true German Rauschbier it has true character.

10-10-2013 20:52:12 | More by KYGunner
MasterSki

3.95/5  rDev +2.3%

Served in an Alchemist pint glass.

A - Half-finger of tan foam settles to a thin cap, thicker collar and minimal lace. Very dark brown body with some raisin transparency at the edges of the glass.

S - A mix of caramel, chocolate buttercreams, smoke, roasted malts. Fairly restrained smokiness actually, with more sweetness than I typically expect from a smoked porter. Perhaps a tad buttery, but it isn't offensive. Gets increasingly hammy as it warms up.

T - Taste is a bit more smoked and meaty, with notes of coffee, roast, and light char in the back end. Perhaps a touch of dark chocolate and bread as well, with significantly less sweetness to it although a bit more comes out as it warms.

M - Mildly roasty texture, but with some creaminess to it as well. Medium-low carbonation, medium body. No alcohol presence, and mild lingering smokiness on the palate.

D - I enjoyed this, as it wasn't overpoweringly smoked and had some nice balance and depth to it. There's a hint of a diacetyl that might bother some, but I wasn't particularly bothered. Probably wouldn't have more than one in a session, but a beer I'd drink again.

04-24-2013 05:26:19 | More by MasterSki
GossageBrewery

Missouri

4.63/5  rDev +19.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Poured this American smoked Porter from a 12 oz bottle into a pint glass. Not sure why I have waited to try this for so long, here it goes....

Porter pours a pitch black color, produces a nice tan head, nice retention and it leaves some lacing on the glass. The aroma consists of roasted barley, smoked meat, nuts and do i dare say coffee beans? Medium bodied, the first thing that I detect is how smooth and creamy this ale is- High marks for mouthfeel. Foundation of smoked grain, roasted malt, dark coffee, subtle sweet molasses and spices. One of my first "Smoked Beers" I have sampled, and I am a fan. If you enjoy American Porters, this should be on your most wanted list...

Why did I wait so long?

03-14-2013 20:46:08 | More by GossageBrewery
gbrubq

4.41/5  rDev +14.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Was surprised to find this beer in Ohio, but glad I did. I think the aroma from pouring the beer into the glass is worth it alone. The taste is just so full of flavor, but the smoke aroma doesn't overpower the taste when I totally thought that it was going to. I do alot of grilling and smoking of pork shoulder ribs and well anything that you might want to eat so the aroma of the smoke just keeps taking me back to my last time that I had the smoker fired up. Surprisingly , it is also very refreshing as well as smooth. As others have described it as having a meaty feel in your mouth I would agree.

03-08-2013 19:22:23 | More by gbrubq
WastingFreetime

Wisconsin

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Reviewed from notes.

This one's also pretty good. Deep dark brown color with a smooth silky texture and meaty mouthfeel, medium carbonation, decent head retention and some mediocre lacing patterns. It's got that "salty ham smoke" going on in spades as well as a sludge-y molasses glaze sweetness on the side of cigarette ash and bitter chocolate... Unusually beefy beer, makes you want to sip some water on the side. This one is worth finding and trying.

01-07-2013 22:22:54 | More by WastingFreetime
DrDemento456

A - A fairly deep brown, almost black with a slight ruby hue at the base of the glass. Head is kind of underwhelming fizzing to a semi thick lace ring which is pretty sticky.

S - Smells mostly like a porter with chalky yeasts, roast, and a touch of chocolate. I like how the smoke is integrated giving a sort of charcoal ash with a touch of bacon like liquid smoke.

T - A smooth drinking porter, sweet malts are spot on. I really like the smoke flavor as it is more robust than Stones version. Smoked meats a plenty I am describing this one as a dry rubbed rib taste (minus the grease) and typical chocolate and roast flavors of the style.

M - Slick and silky with a medium body. Noted is great carbonation which is a good thing.

Overall I really like this porter and fully agree that it is an award winning brew. I got this in Ohio but if I see it again I would grab a six pack (mostly since it's only a winter release)

Great brew.

11-14-2012 02:19:03 | More by DrDemento456
Winston_Smith

Kentucky

4.15/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I found this at the liquor store the other day, and was in the mood for a rich, thick brew. I'm a fan of Porters, and thought I would try it.

Appearance- Smoke looks like a textbook porter. It's dark brown color looks inviting for fans of the style. Poured into a standard beer glass, it formed a finger of dark beige head, which quickly dissipated to just a thin layer.

Smell- I smell coffee and a bit of a burnt, smoky aroma. Makes sense. There might be a little chocolate in there. My nose is new to this reviewing thing.

Taste- I can definitely taste the supposed "smoky" quality. Smoke isn't for fans of bland, watery beer. The full flavor will knock you down. I've had about a half dozen porters, and this one might be my favorite. I haven't been around the world sampling beers, mind you, but I definitely dig the flavor. No one quality overpowers any other.

Mouthfeel- I get my desired thick, bready feel. Carbonation is about perfect.

Overall- I'll be drinking this again, and now that its about to be winter, probably soon. It's available in several places in my area, and for the price of a couple pints at the bar, you get a six pack. I think this is pretty decent quality stuff. Try it if you like porters. You won't be disappointed.

11-05-2012 02:37:58 | More by Winston_Smith
JohnnyHopps

Indiana

4.2/5  rDev +8.8%

Poured from the bottle into a pint glass, this beer had a huge smokey aroma though one could detect a certain sense of creaminess in the aroma. To say the least, the smell made me really want to drink this one. The appearance was a murky brownish black. There was nothing particularly exciting about the appearance. Not much in the way of head, but some thickness was apparent. The initial taste was smokey, bacony, and mildly buttery with creaminess. In other words, the beer has a little of everything that is bad for your health in it, without actually including it. At the risk of being cliché, the beer was uncommonly smooth for a porter. The mouthfeel was almost closer to a milk stout with a little less thickness. The pleasantry continues in the aftertaste with a smokey bacon note. As expected, there is little carbonation so the smokey bacon notes hang around nicely. I only bought one bottle of this at the liquor store, but will probably get a sixer next time I see it.

11-05-2012 00:15:06 | More by JohnnyHopps
jera1350

4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

Huge smoked beer fan, so had to grab this on a recent visit to Hudson. Bottle says Stevens Point, Wi. Must be contract brewed.

Presented with a solid black body that is topped with a darker tan cap of dense foam that leaves a lovely layer of lacing clinging to the glass.

A combo of smoke and lightly sweet malt. The smoke isn't too intense, but offers up charred wood and smoked meat scents.

Now this is how a smoked porter should taste. The perfect balance of malty sweetness and smoke. The smoke is not overpowering at all and neither is the sweetness. Truly perfect compliment to each other. Nice charcoal, charred campfire wood, burnt bacon to the smoke component. It lingers, but never overpowers. As it warms, getting some coffee bean mixed in. It's balanced beautifully by the base porter that adds roast and sweetness, but allows the smoke to shine. Wonderful.

Carbonation is spot on and soft. I think the body is just fine and about medium in heft. Dryer finishing.

I think this drinks wonderfully and fits the bill absolutely perfectly for a smoked porter. I've had way too many that had so little smoke to them that they tasted like a regular porter. Not this little guy. The smoke is there, but as mentioned earlier, it has a nice balance with the base beer. Wonderfully done and I will be a returning customer to this beer.

10-23-2012 02:15:32 | More by jera1350
Tone

Missouri

3.8/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a black color. 1/4 inch head of a tan color. Slight retention and slight lacing. Smells of strong smoke (reminiscent of a wood fire:) ), hops, pale malt, slight roasted malt, and hint of sweet malt. Fits the style of an American Porter but, wood :) fit into the smoked beer category better. Mouth feel is sharp and crisp, with an average carbonation level. Tastes of strong smoke, pale malt, hint of hops, hint of sweet malt, hint of yeast, and a hint of metallic flavor. Overall, the body is mostly smoke first, then nothing else arises. The aroma is amazing though, and in itself would make this worth a try. I wish the body could more closely match the aroma.

10-12-2012 14:16:27 | More by Tone