Smoked Porter - O'Fallon Brewery

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Beer added by: maxpower on 12-26-2002

Dark, rich and smoky…this classic porter is brewed with 63% German smoked malt and makes a perfect after dinner (or anytime) sipper for those who love a “bigger” beer. Winner of the Gold Medal in the 2004 Great American Beer Festival® for best Smoked Beer in America!

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.39/5  rDev -12.2%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Bottle labeled 1942OF2 at 45 degrees into goblet; newer label than shown on BA; this one has 2004 award
Aroma of smoke, not overpowering. More of hardwood than peat
Head small (1.5 cm), light brown, fizzy, rapidly diminishing to nothing
Lacing none
Body dark brown/black, opaque
Flavor slightly sweet, smokey. No alcohol, no hops, no diacetyl, maybe some roasted malt. Ends with a light smokiness.
Palate medium to full, watery, carbonation lively

OK, I’m a fan of rauch beers and porters, so maybe I was expecting too much. While there is definitely a pleasant amount of smokiness in this beer, the only characteristics of a porter present are the color and palate. Perhaps the brewing process for this beer has changed since the 2004 award or perhaps my expectations are too high; either way, this beer is mediocre at best. The fizzy, completely diminishing head detracts from the appearance (and my enjoyment) of this offering.

4.42/5  rDev +14.5%

A- Poured pitch black in the glass. 1 finger tan head with nice lacing.

S- At first, I was stunned to smell Canadian Bacon. I expected smoke, not meat! As it warmed, it reminded me more of pork rib burnt ends with dark fruits, chocolate, and molasses. I was conflicted in the beginning, but halfway through, I couldn't keep my nose out of this thing!

T- Beautifully balanced and complex. Smoked pork, chocolate, molasses, dark fruit, coffee, and slight bready malts mingle together and merge to form some amazing flavor combinations.

M- Medium body with nice carbonation. Drying.

O- I really enjoyed this beer! I wasn't expecting the meaty flavors in the least, but I was pleasantly surprised how well it worked. I would have this again in a heartbeat.

3.96/5  rDev +2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4

Black with dark brown edges. 2 finger tan head disipated quickly. Leaves a layer of foam but minimal lacing.

Smells strongly of smoke. Dark fruits, red wine, and a little like a stake on the grill or bacon. Very appealing.

Taste is not as complex, but good. The smoke is there. Not too sweet. Not too bitter. A nice porter. The smoke really adds a lot.

Mouthfeel is a little light for a porter but there is enough fizz to keep it interesting.

Overall it's good. It's a drinkable porter and the smoke makes it interesting.

3.68/5  rDev -4.7%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.75

Glass Used: Tumbler

Appearance: Dark espresso brown with a mocha colored foam; the head quickly recedes leaving a ring around the edge of the glass and a thin film of patchy bubbles.

Smell: Like smoldering firewood, smoked bacon, with a bit of hop and malt character.

Taste: Smoked ham, malty porter. This is quite enjoyable.

Mouthfeel: Thick with a bit of mouth coating.

Overall: Being my second smoked beer I've had, this one I like. This would be an awesome after meal drink. Nothing I would want to session, but a relaxation brew. Recommend.

1.15/5  rDev -70.2%

Yuck.

A: Dark, no lacing, minimal head, very unflattering

S: Smokey, smells like barbecue potato chips

T: Repugnant, it tastes like liquid smoke

M: Nothing much here, almost flat

O: I never thought I would find myself saying I regret drinking a beer, but alas here we are. I felt sick to my stomach afterward. Maybe I got a terrible batch, as others seem to like it, but this was a violent assault on my taste buds, and later, my GI tract.

4.25/5  rDev +10.1%

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Bottle > Pint Glass

A - Pitch black with 1.5 fingers of tan milky head, spotty lacing.
S - Excellent aroma, nice hickory and oak, some burnt bacon, a little nutty, toffee and biscuit notes.
T - Taste lacks in the smoke, could use a lot more, a good porter though for sure, nice rich malt, a little bit of that bacony type flavor, toasted grain, a little nutty too.
M - Very creamy and rich, but still on the medium side.
O - Good Smoked porter, just wish it had more potency in the flavor.

3.5/5  rDev -9.3%

3.98/5  rDev +3.1%

A: The beer is essentially jet black in color—only faint traces of red are visible near the corner of the glass when it is held up to a bright light. It poured with a quarter finger high light tan head that died down ,leaving a thin layer of bubbles covering the surface and a thick collar around the edge of the glass.
S: The smell has moderate aromas of smoked peat are present in the nose.
T: Similar to the smell, the taste has flavors of smoked peat along with slight hints of molasses.
M: It feels light-to medium-bodied on the palate and has a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: This is not your average smoked parter—it has a strong amount of smoked peat in the aromas akin to something you would expect from a stronger stout.

4.5/5  rDev +16.6%