Smoked Porter - O'Fallon Brewery

Smoked PorterSmoked Porter

O'Fallon Brewery visit their website
Missouri, United States

Smoked Beer |  6.00% ABV

Dark, rich and smoky…this classic porter is brewed with 63% German smoked malt and makes a perfect after dinner (or anytime) sipper for those who love a “bigger” beer. Winner of the Gold Medal in the 2004 Great American Beer Festival® for best Smoked Beer in America!

(Beer added by: maxpower on 12-26-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Smoked Porter Alström Bros
3.85/5  rDev -0.3%

This poured from the bottle a deep brown to black with a thin tan colored head that receded quickly into the glass. The aroma is a pleasing complex mix of smoky malt, coffee, brandy and black cherry. The flavor has a sharp smoky bite up front with rich coffee and brandy flavors following. The black cherry disappears in the flavor, but the smoke reappears in the finish and lingers for few moments after drinking. Slick, slightly oily mouth feel. Hmmm, drinakbility? It’s tough, I think this is a fine beer for the style, but it’s not something I could drink too much of, due to the lingering smoke flavor.

carln26, Jul 08, 2005

22 oz bottle from the Liquor Barn in Lexington, Ky. Pours an opaque deep brown body with a one inch beige head that retains for a few minutes, eventually settling in the imperial pint glass as collar and lace. Impressive sheet lacing effect.
Aroma was smoked bacon, with some malty chocolate and coffee in the background. Smelled more like campfire smoke as it warmed.
Mouthfeel began with a medium body, but thinned out rather quickly. Carbonation seemed high for a porter, but as it subsided some nice creaminess crept in.
Taste had a more campfire smokiness than the bbq pork aroma. Roasty and toasted malts dominate all the way through, with a restrained chocolate and creamed coffee underbelly. Hop bitterness is a bit too soft and somewhat restrained.
This is a very interesting porter from the brewery that brought you Blackberry Scottish Ale and Cherry Chocolate Ale. Adventurous little Missouri brewery, and they've got a nice one here. Definitely, has a Bamberg smoked malt character that makes me want another smoked beer. This one could use a little tweaking in the hops and carbonation departments, but it's a keeper and a pleasant sipper that is an ideal compliment to any smoked meats or cheeses.

merlin48, Jul 01, 2005

I went out on a limb to try another smoked beer after two previous negative experiences (for some reason, whether coincidence or not, I had bad migraines on both nights, and I never get headaches), but this was new in stock at work. To my surprise, it's actually a solid porter, and I don't feel another migraine creeping in quite yet.

The pour is very dark and almost completely opaque. What did you expect, clear fizzy yellow? There is only a small tan head that quickly recedes to a ring. Looks good so far.

The smell is typical of a porter: rich and roasted with a hint of the smoked malt. Nothing completely mind blowing for a porter, and it doesn't smell like a campfire, which is a good thing to me.

The taste and smell remind me quite a bit of Sierra Nevada's Porter, but of course it is much smokier. That is not to say that this beer is very smokey, though, as it is not. It very bearable, and I dare say that I think it's actually good. I would enjoy drinking something like this at a campfire.

Mouthfeel is light to medium, about where a porter should be. Swishing reveals a much grander taste of campfire. Alcohol content is still fairly low allowing for a medium session. Worth a try even if you don't like smoked beers. It's only 12 ounces, wuss.

neonbrown82, Jun 10, 2005

Pours dark with some red/brown light coming through on the edges. Thin dark tan head.

Smell: Smells of wood, campfire, smoked fish/cheese, chewing tobacco (in a good way). I can smell the malty and hop style that I would usually associate with a porter behind the smoke. The smoke odor does not seem overdone and is pretty pleasing; not "dirty" smoke, but the smoke odor I associate with well made smoked foods. Some malty sweetness comes through, and if I try I can find some hops in there.

Taste: Smoke taste up front (again, chewing tobacco, wood grill smoke etc...). Finishes with a lingering smokiness like that which remains on your shirt after a grilling session, and some hop bitterness remains in the end.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is moderate, viscocity is moderate to thin.

Not a session beer, if that has to be said.

Acquired from a trade with beerhandy.

blackie, Jun 07, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

I had a bad experience with a Rauchbier some time back, and that one experience turned me off to smoked beers for awhile. Until now, actually: This is great! I scored three bomber-sized bottles at Lucas Liquor in Overland Park (new find!). Looks and pours as a typical good porter and if you take a whiff the smoke is evident but not overpowering. The problem I had before with a different smoked beer was the overwhelming presence of smoke, like actually drinking liquid smoke. This is liked by some I'm sure, but not me. O'Fallon has the perfect balance. I can't think of a better beer to pair with a steak, BBQ, or any kind of meat from a grill. Phenomenal.

Gruntlumber, May 30, 2005
4.28/5  rDev +10.9%

The beer poured translucent black with a frothy brown head which rose very tall and fell back very slowly to coat the glass.

The aroma was nicely smoky with a hamlike smoke presence which was very well done but not overdone. Behind that was a nice chocolate presence and a slight coffee aroma. A very slight grassy hop presence was notable as the head fell back.

The flavor was really nice with chocolate and a nice caramel maltiness working together. The bittering was just enough to balance the caramel nature and the smoke invades the flavor just after the chocolate and caramel begin to fade. The coffee flavor was very slight compared to the presence of the aroma.

The finish was dry with lasting chocolate and smoke flavor long into the aftertaste. The body was medium and well accomplished.

22 ounce bomber. Thanks BIF20 and jimdkc. A great beer, very easy to drink and with a nice, yet not overdone smoke complement. If this one is available on tap I'd love to try some.

GCBrewingCo, May 19, 2005
4.5/5  rDev +16.6%

Pours ruby black with a big frothy tan head and some spotty lacing. Smells of sharp smoky malts, caramel sweetness, and subtle hop character mixed with an acrid bitterness, which is in no way a detriment. Tastes initiatlly of sweet malts. Very good , but not as smoky as the nose. Slightly woody, with a subtle ctiric hop bitterness, finishing with a lingering burnt bitterness, Mouthfeel is creamy smooth, very mouthcoating. The smoke character is not overwhelming as it is in some smoked porters, allowing me to enjoy a very solid porter underneath.

gimmehead, Apr 24, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Picked this up after seeing the "Won Gold Medal at GABF" tag hanging from the bottle.

Poured a thin brown black with reddish tints into my goblet. Creamy tan head arose and then quickly receeded.

The first thing I noticed was the thin character of this beer. I think this beer could use some more body to go along with the smoked malts.

There was some coffee sweetness that quickly turned to a light smoky flavor and ended with a bitter maltiness. The smoke flavor was nice but as the beer warmed it quickly lost its kick.

Good - but not gold medal material in my opinion. The smoke could be increased as well as the body of the beer. Perhaps an extra hop addition or two.

cncbofh, Apr 14, 2005
3.48/5  rDev -9.8%

Dark brown with a red haze. Can still see through easily. Brown head is gone quickly. Big smokey nose... ahint of roast fights through. Mouthfeel really suprises me as it is actually abit watery - a slap of smoke...but the mouthfeel is not very full.

I have to put this closer to the German smoke beers than a smoked porter - at least as other american brewers have defined the style (Alaskan). The beer is all about the smoke and little about the porter. In the middle some sweet maltiness comes through the smoke.

The head did a little better on a second pour. The final flavor I'm left with is an unpleasant smoke. The smoke fails to enhance the beer in my opinion.

sweethome, Apr 09, 2005

22oz bottle obtained via trade with CRJMellor. Thanks for the opportunity...

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a 3/8" light brown head over the almost opaque dark brown brew. Head fades down to an uneven layer of bubbles pretty quickly, but laces nicely. Aroma is smoke, and that's about it, not that there's anything wrong with that. Taste starts with slightly sweet dark malts, quickly giving way to the smokey parts, and ends rather slick over the tongue. Mouthfeel and drinkability are good for the style. A nice centered smoked porter, enough to make smoke aficianados not waste their time, but not so much to drive most people away.

ppoitras, Apr 07, 2005
3.75/5  rDev -2.8%

Very dark, nearly black, with a thick, rich brown head that soon fades to a persistent foam ring. Subdued roasted malt aroma with some woody smokey notes. Tastes slightly sweet at first, but that gives way to bittersweet chocolate and coffee flavors. You almost forget it's a smoked beer, then the smoke flavor appears out of nowhere. A little bitterness is left on the back of the tongue on the swallow. Thinnish mouthfeel. While the smokiness was interesting at the start, frankly, by the time I reached the end of the bomber, I was numb to the smoke. I might occasionally split a bomber of this, but I doubt I'd drink one myself anytime soon! Definitely worth a try, though.

jimdkc, Apr 07, 2005
3.65/5  rDev -5.4%

Damn near black, if not actually black in the middle with dark brown influences, ruby highlights around the edges. The head was russet, at the apex the foam was about a half finger in height. It loudly faded to a soapy collar, wispy in the middle; the top of the liquid was almost naked in a few minutes. There was no subsequent lacing either. I like the darkness of the beer itself but aside from that the appearance is forgettable. The smokiness of the nose has some positive attributes and some negative ones. When I compare this beer to AKSP this offering has a sharper smoked smell. The woody, char is zippier. The bacon aromas are very dry. There are hints of semi-sweet chocolate and day old coffee. There is nothing wrong with the bouquet but I really wish it were more rounded and fatter. Schlenkerla forcefully smells fatty and juicy, AKSP has theses same aromas but very muted. The smells from O’Fallon seem lean. It clearly expresses itself as a Smoked Beer (Porter). It is smokier than Z Street but not as nasty (in a good way) as Rogue. I don’t like to compare beers in reviews like this but I’m trying to make a point. While the nose is inviting, the potency is moderate and the message is clear, I still wish it were heartier in the smoked aromas. The palate is mild. This is a Smoked Porter on training wheels; it’s a four-cylinder Yugo. I want a Hemi. I want Smoked Beers to be more forceful. I realize this beer is not a Rauchbier; I’m judging it accordingly. The palate is a pleasant mix of charred hickory, day old coffee grounds, peat, semi-sweet chocolate, herbal hops with a stinging finish, and there are kisses of ham and straight smoke. The palate is pleasant enough but it is far too Porter-like for me. I need more smoke, more fatty meat, and more richness. The aftertaste is hot and incomplete, there isn’t much smoke and there is far too much roasted acidity. This beer is something to kick back with at a BBQ, it is simplistic but hearty enough to stand up to grilled meats. I don’t have any outright complaints; I have more of a wish list. I am disappointed in this offering. It is a tickle fuller than medium in body, the carbonation is moderate but natural, the mouthfeel is hearty and firm but it works well with the flavor profile. On the whole, this beer is easy to drink. In this case, that is not a good thing. I don’t mean to harp but more smoke, more malt richness, etc and I would want to slow down, I would want to sip and savor. As is, I just want to drink it… with food. It is nothing special. I have a handful more bombers to drink and enjoy, and don’t let the negative tone of this review fool you, I like this beer. I will drink it with a smile! I purchased my bottles in Parkville, Missouri. It is worth a try if you DON’T like Smoke Beers, this one might change your mind.

bditty187, Mar 29, 2005
4.38/5  rDev +13.5%

I was cruising the aisle of one of my favorite beer stores ( Union Liquors in Frankfort, Illinois) and found this beer. Because they stocked it and I'd never seen it before I bought it.
It opened with a familiar "Aecht Schlenkerla" aroma and poured into a chalice with a proper head which subsided into a ring. The smell was the attractor and the following taste did not dissappoint It isn't a smoked porter it's a Rauchbier (and a freshie to boot). My Aecht Schlenkerla dissapointment is that it's seldom fresh. This is and I would buy it over the German version. Good job! What a pleasant surprise.

faernt, Mar 26, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -6%

Black-imitating dark copper. The head is full, plump, and beige.
Nose of smoked pork, smoldering wood, and chocolate.
Smoke is prevasive from the word go, as it wriggles its way into every nook this offers, but paradoxically it still manages to seem understated with its sizzling pork fat, blackened cedar, and burnbarrels full of fallen leaves. Underneath, coffee grounds and toffee provide the malt contribution, morphing gradually toward chocolate covered apple skins. A faint, but unharmonious rubber note arises late, in the vein of black-smeared pencil erasers. Rides out with tendrils of smoke and a fattened chocolate notion.
Lightish bodied, cohering slightly richer as it sits awhile. As is, it strandles the indifference fence: too light for true experience, and marred ever-so-slightly. This would be still be well suited to wash down like-minded foods, but enjoyment in and of itself suffers.

cokes, Mar 21, 2005
3.93/5  rDev +1.8%

Dark, rubescent chestnut with considerable reddish amber accents. The beer is opaque, although bright sunlight makes a valiant effort to make it all the way through the glass. Up above is a compact cap of lightly toasted ecru foam that has a featureless surface, which usually indicates a softness that does not bode well for lacing. Very little sticks in the end.

Wow, smoked is right! This baby comes pretty close to the smokiness of the Schlenkerla line of beers and is more like a raunchy rauchbier than any smoked porter that I've ever had. Smoke 'em if you've got 'em is what I always say and O'Fallon has done just that. The beer smells more like hickory-smoked meat than anything else and smells less like a porter than it probably should. Since almost no beerness is evident, the score will have to be a grudging compromise.

This is delicious beer. Again though, comparisons to smoke-cured meat just cannot be ignored. If that sounds disgusting to you, put the bottle down and move along to something a little less adventurous. Smoke permeates the flavor profile, but it does fade enough by the second half of the mouthful to allow some semblance of roasted maltiness to peek through.

I do pick up some smoked, sweet chocolate to go along with the smoked barley, but it's a minor player. There's also a hint of smoked bitter hops on the smoke-filled finish (get the idea?). The body is a minor letdown in that it's no bigger than light-medium.

I knew nothing about Smoked Porter before plucking it off the shelf, but I'm always up for a good smoked beer. This is definitely a good smoked beer, albeit one that would benefit from a touch more malt to fill out the body. A solid effort that makes me curious about the rest of the O'Fallon line.

BuckeyeNation, Mar 20, 2005
3.8/5  rDev -1.6%

Sampled from a 22 oz bomber, brown glass, capped, no date.

This smoked porter poured a very dark brown almost opaque color with tall, creamy, light brown foam that persisted and clung to the glass a bit. The smell was malty with a hint of sweetness and some light smokiness. There was a little caramel and a very light hoppiness in the aroma. The taste was lightly smokey and quite malty with a touch of yeast, and a very light tangy flavor. The mouthfeel was smooth and relatively dry with medium body and low carbonation. The aftertaste was lightly malty and faintly smokey. This was an easy to drink and enjoyable smoked porter. However, it was quite a bit more smokey when I sampled it on-tap at the 2004 GABF, and frankly, it tasted much better there than this bottled sample did.

UncleJimbo, Mar 14, 2005
4.35/5  rDev +12.7%

Pours out thick reddish-brown and sits deep mohagony in the glass with a good sized, light brown head. Fades to a light skim, holding to the sides and leaves litte in terms of lacings.

Smells fully roasted with a nice smoke layering. Oily and monstrously assertive nose pushes out thick slabs of bacon and hearty, whole grain breads, bordering on a dark rye. Some traces of charring, but very light. Sweet hints of chocolate meander about.

Tastes roasty up front, building up some burnt flavors. Smokiness comes in with grace, blending with the other flavors during the entire ride. Dark chocolates and oak begin to shine and some hints of prunes and walnuts come through as well. Smoky flavors peak on the finish, lending some oily residue on the sides of the mouth and subsequently fade back out into the more dominant roasted flavors.

Smooth and creamy in the mouth with fine and well-defined carbonation. Medium-full in body, easily and slowly enjoyed sip by sip.

Solid all the way and very well controlled in its approach. This definately shows more and more character as it warms. A very affordable beer to enjoy, and highly addicting.

Skidz, Mar 14, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

I was eager to try this one, but it says on the bottle to keep it in the fridge ... I wonder if it has something that won't allow it to cellar well. Anyway. Pours a very dark color with a small head that falls fast, but leaves plenty of lacing on the glass. The aroma is sweet and slightly smoky with some dark malts in the backgrount. Very nice. The flavor is much the same. Lots of dark malts with some slight hop and a lingering smokiness that is slightly sweet and at just the right amount. Drinkability is very good and the mouthfeel is right where it should be.

clvand0, Mar 11, 2005
4.08/5  rDev +5.7%

Bottle thanks to the generosity of BA MJR. The O’Fallon Smoked Porter poured a medium coffee brown, with flashes of ruby when held to the light. A light tan head formed and dissipated to leave a foamy ring clinging to the edges of my glass. Aroma is very rich and pervasively smoky, such that it’s almost tasteable just in the nose, like inhaling a side of hickory smoked bacon…..mmmm. Plenty of roastiness in the nose too with just a hint of herbal hops. At first taste while cold, it seemed a bit thin, but metamorphosed into a smoky masterpiece as it warmed a few degrees. Classic porter elements are all there, lots of roastiness, a slight tartness and bitterness in the middle and back, with sweet wood smoke swirling through your mouth in all aspects of this brew. Very smooth and medium bodied.

mikeys01, Mar 06, 2005
4.78/5  rDev +23.8%

Beautiful. Rich dark dark brown with mahogany glow. Large 2-fingered froth collapses to beer meringue. Lace dissolves as fast as the lace on a Victoria's Secret model in a 14 year old's bedroom. This is really perfect; this is just a dynamite beer -- dyn-O-mite! There's a little country farm smell to it. Then the malts heavy pet the tongue, the smoke blows hop bitterness throughout and seems to evaporate just before an excessive climax. It leaves me wanting more, dontcha know! The creamy mouthfeel serves to spread chocolate nutella all over. yummers

gbontrag, Mar 05, 2005

This beer pours a dark brown with a tan head. The head looks thick and creamy. It fades very slowly leaving thick laces. It smells like roasted malts and caramel. It also smells of smoke. It tastes smokey with a roasted malt flavor. The smoke flavor is not too overwhelming like in some smoked beers. It is mild and satisfying in this beer. There are slight hints of coffee and chocolate in the flavor as well. This beer is maybe a little over carbonated, but not to the point of making it bad. It goes down smooth. It is a pretty full bodied beer. It leaves a taste of smoke on the palate. This beer is not the best session beer because the smoke flavor would grow old after a few. But it is definately a good beer, and worth a try or three.

OStrungT, Mar 02, 2005
4.6/5  rDev +19.2%

Thanks to clvand0 for sharing this beer with me. It pours a black color with a finger of head that falls to very healthily coat the beer. The nose is divine. The smoke is sweet, with a really nice coffee malt in the back of it. I like it. The flavor is also very good. The smoke and the bitter coffe flavors marry so well together. So good. Reminds me a lot of the AK smoked. The feel is nice and thick. Drinkability is huge. This is easily a session smoked beer. Big A+. Well worth a look.

kmpitz2, Mar 01, 2005
4.33/5  rDev +12.2%

22 ounce bomber. Black in color, see through around the edges though; 1/6th inch bubby tan head that maintains until the end. The nose is lively – smoky charcoal, chocolate and varieties of malts all to be found. As expected, there are lively smoky characteristics, yet they blend in seamlessly with this near full bodied beverage. Rich coffee beans, dark chocolate and black licorice coupled with burnt malts and smoky offerings make this a treat! Sweet malts come to play with warming; the finish is slightly bitter and quite clean and refreshing. A great smoked beer – the folks at O’Fallon aren’t afraid to take chances, they hit the bull’s-eye with this one!

GeoffRizzo, Feb 21, 2005
3.63/5  rDev -6%

Poured almost black. Little head developed after agressive center of the glass pour.

I wish I could say smoke was the predominant smell with this beer, and it was strong, but there was also a metallic wang that was a little off putting. Sweet roasted malts in there too.

Lots of smokey flavors, deep dark malts, and bitter hops for a fleeting glimpse. All of the smoked foods I've had kept coming to mind: smoked oysters, smoked salmon, smoked turkey, smoked anything, beef jerkey. Fortunately the metallic wang wasn't present in the taste.

I view this as more of a novelty beer than something I would drink alot of. Interesting enough to try some other examples of the style, but not enough to keep any around the house, except maybe for some barbecue.

Shultzerdugen, Feb 19, 2005
4.1/5  rDev +6.2%

It pours dark as night with a huge tan head; minimal lacing and an unusual amount of sediment. The aroma is all beef jerky. As a vegetarian this is slightly disconcerting, yet vaguely interesting. When I take the first sip the aroma comes in, roasted malt gets cloudy by an odd mineral water taste. It tastes like they brewed it with Gerolsteiner. The smoke is far more present in the aroma than the taste, however it does leave a nice bouquet. This is a pretty good beer that could be a great beer with some tweaking.

swamiswamu, Jan 29, 2005