Microbrew Invitational

Style: American Dark Wheat Ale

Added by TMoney2591 on 10-05-2013

Reviews: 2 | Ratings: 17
3.54/5  rDev +0.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 3

1/3...pours very dark brown with foamy off white head. Active fizzy bubbles on the pour. Aroma has notes of char, pine, wheat, coffee - an interesting blend. Heavy carbonation from the onset, serving to drown out the flavor. Clean roasted flavor, but a little off and overall hard to get past the carbonation. A shame.

2.81/5  rDev -20.4%

An interesting beer, but pretty underwhelmed by this.

In terms of appearance, I think it's the beer's strength, very dark with hints of brownish almost reddish tinges. It had the color of a stout. It retained a nutty-white head that lingered (granted, I drank it out of a Hofbrau weissbier glass and the top might have been too narrow).

The smell was nothing to write about really. (I had a cold at the time). It was dry, and that is all I can say.

Taste-wise it was heavily hopped for a wheat beer, but compared to other dark wheat ales I wasn't left with any lasting impression of real hoppiness (which they claim to have).
A dry, nutty taste was left in my mouth but it didn't linger.

Mouthfeel was smooth, thin. Again, one can make comparisons to a dry stout or poorly-made porter. Low carbonation.

I didn't enjoy this beer that much. That being said, they are a young brewery and I will likely try their other beers.

Imaginary Friend from Only Child Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 2 ratings.