River Ale - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

River AleRiver Ale

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Dark Wheat Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 11-13-2002

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of River Ale Alström Bros

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

BBC's River Ale is a strong robust beer that pours a hazy dark brown capped with a fairly thick white head. It is murky, like a river that's running low. It smells a bit like mollases with a distinct alcoholic twinge. There is a nice malty base supporting everything. The taste is interesting and complex. Loaded with brown sugar, molasses, alcohol, and finishing with a hoppy bitterness. Throughout, there is huge malty base that imparts a nice sweetness that never becomes cloying. It's a great tasting beer, the only fault is that the alcohol is too hot and harsh, especially for only 7%. The mouthfeel is nice and chewy and seems appropriately full. The drinkability is good. This is a nice beer to be sure, one that I'll definitely be revisiting.

I have 2 complaints about the packaging of this beer. First, the best buy before date was not notched. At 7% and bottle-conditioned, this probably isn't much of an issue. Still, it's frustrating to see the dates, but not a notch. Secondly, the label makes no mention of the strength or style of the beer. The picture of 2 guys rafting on a river made me buy it thinking it was a light, refreshing, maybe hoppy brew. I was a little disappointed when I opened it to find a 7% strong ale and not the refreshing brew I was expecting. This didn't affect my review of the beer itself, but I thought it was something I should mention.

3.75/5  rDev -4.8%

My buddy (Naugros on the website) brought a bottle back from his trip and shared it with me to knock this style off my list. After this review I only have two left (happoshu and kvass).

I drank this beer in a wheat glass. It was deep brown with about two fingers of head that retained really well. It left some decent lacing on the glass. You can see a lot of particulates in the lower third of the glass.

In the nose I get sour, some malt, and a venous presence. The flavor is consistent with the smell. I get a little bit more malt than in the nose. I also pick up more of the sour.

This beer is a little heavy for summer. I would recommend it for the cooler months.

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

Brown Bomber--->Pint Glass. No Freshness Date

A: Pours a brownish color with a red hue. Small off white head, with some lacing.

S: Sweet creamy malts with a slight alcohol kick. Mostly malts.

T/M: Medium bodied and smooth. Malts are sweet and have hints of caramel and toasted goodness. The higher alcohol aroma is prevalent right off the bat. A taste of wheat and a light hop bitterness is also mixed in.

O: If malty brews with a kick of wheat is what you like than this one is for you. The malts taste great, however I would have liked a little more hop balance to even it out.

Cheers!!

3.77/5  rDev -4.3%

A clean light brown beer with amber highlights. Has a big beige head, mabye a little lace. The aroma is full of malt and a nut like sweetness. That nutty malt sweetness is carried through in the flavor with a light smooth hop finish to balance off the taste. Note: inexplicably this is my favorite Bershire brew. I just enjoy drinking it everytime I put it into a glass.

3.78/5  rDev -4.1%

I gave this Strong Ale a solid 4 due to its impressive cloudy (almost unfiltered) appearance. Solid brown, little head, some lacing.

Smells malts, some ABV. Im looking forward to this. Maybe some citrus, and bread.

Yummy. Malty, but not too malty. Smooth, yet some ABV to spice it up. Not a full bodied ale, but overall a solid choice.

Sits well. Nothing impressive. Down good. The ABV is not overpowering at all.

Overall a wonderfull, yet not overly impressive beer selection. Im happy to have this local fresh selection. I will definately have this beer again.

River Ale from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.