Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Berkshire Oktoberfest LagerBerkshire Oktoberfest Lager

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

(Beer added by: Jason on 09-27-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager Alström Bros
Brewfan

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

22 oz. bomber purchased from Yankee Spirits in Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into a pint glass. 1/4" bone white head on a light copper-orange body. Nice amount of lace, stayed with the beer for quite a while. Minimal carbonation upon pouring.
Aroma of banana bread, biscuits and sugar. Very sweet on the nose, as well as the tongue. Very malty, which is what I was looking for in this beer. Heavier mouthfeel than a lot of Oktoberfests I've had. Not much aftertaste to speak of. Left my mouth a little thick and wanting more beer.
Will definately grab a few of these every year.

09-01-2005 22:05:00 | More by Brewfan
Billolick

4.28/5  rDev +7.5%

BBC bomber bottle, with freshness dating notched onto the label. Pours a rich almond shade, off white head and just leaves a minor amount of fine lacing. Nose of light rum, raisins and malt. This a rich, strong, full flavor O'fest brew. Full of malty layers of creamy smoothness. Vanilla, oak, caramel all picked up. I had a chance to sample this brew on tap as well. It was wonderfully creamy and smooth. Fine creation, well worth seeking out and enjoying this fall season

09-01-2005 17:33:51 | More by Billolick
FLAbeergutinMASS

4.2/5  rDev +5.5%

BBC really knows how to knock out seasonal all-stars. According to my packy guy, it came out three days ago, so freshness assured!

App.-Deep orange and caramel colors, does not leave much of a head or lacing. The leaves have yet to change in Western Mass, but this beer is doing a hell of a job reminding me of a fall day.

Smell- Keep in stride with the fall thing, this beer has some serious pine and molasses tones- they are not hiding either. There is also a large wafts of orange and chocolate.

Taste- Reminds me of bock beers I've tried, but not as heavy. The alcohol taste is a little unbalanced, but nonetheless appreciated. The beer lends itself nicely to a bark-like ruggedness.

A very good brew from a very good brewery. If you could put this beer on a clothing rack it would be in the flannel and overalls section. Rugged, comfortable, and enjoyable.

08-29-2005 23:50:17 | More by FLAbeergutinMASS
steinlifter

4.78/5  rDev +20.1%

poured a amber/gold, sudsy tan head, spider web lacing all the way through.
sweet fruity aroma's, a hint of pine wood as well.
fruity explosion on 1st sip, cherries, apples, pine,sweet malt, hops in the back that come through on the after taste.
mouthfeel is bubbly crisp, with a bit of creaminess, and chewy on the end.
drinkability is EXCELLENT! I wait all year for this brew...very good!...I would drink it on a boat, with a goat, in my sox, with a fox..I DO, I DO, LOVE THIS BREW!

08-26-2005 22:53:24 | More by steinlifter
feloniousmonk

Hazy, fuzzy, dark orange coloration, slim fizziness above.
Herbal, vegetal nose, malty, some caramel tones showing, as well, though ultimately, it's on the mild side.
Big, juicy fruit blasts the tongue on first swallow, then softly slips away. Bit over-carbonated. Bold, sparkling, and a small bit sour. Very unusual mouthfeel. Nowhere near as smooth as we'd prefer. Bracing puckeration at first sip, then it fizzes against the tongue undcomfortably.
I had every hope in the world for this, but it's not a pleasant drinking experience, a regular chore to finish. It's like a Jolly Rancher dropped in a bottle of Mike's Hard Cranberry...or something like that. Needs more malt, less fizz...as I near the end of the bomber, I find that I'm not liking it any better, and I yearn for a more satisfying brew. Up the malt, tone down the carbonation, maybe a touch less alcohol, but if they do the first two, it won't be necessary...perhaps...perhaps then, it will be a better brew. Just my 2/5 of a nickel...

12-21-2004 02:46:14 | More by feloniousmonk
bditty187

Nebraska

4.6/5  rDev +15.6%

“Purchase Before” February is marked on the label.

Golden in hue with tawny influences, there is a slight haze too; this gives it a natural look. Some animation was noticed in the liquid, moved towards the head at a steady pace. The foam was rocky, about three fingers in height; it looks great in my ½ liter mug. Oktoberfest in December, hell yeah! Ah, memories… Head retention was very good; it slowly subsided to a modest cap that lasted the entire consumption. Subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized. The appearance is ideal for an O-fest. The nose is great. The bouquet is exactly like what I want an O-fest to smell like, plus the potency is as loud as I could reasonable imagine. There is great malt depth with caramel, some toasty/bready notes. Hints of grain and nut. The malt is quite rich in aroma (very nice). I am surprised that the hops are so easily detected; good balance. The hops offer some spiciness and some herbal notes. Alcohol is noticeable as well, heat from an O-fest? Is this from Avery? I’m a little concerned, considering the abv is 7%. On the whole the nose is very satisfying. Inviting. I was sold after the first sip. This is a mighty fine tasting beer. Multiple layers of malt; I counted three. It was shifting gears in my mouth. Caramel sweetness… dry nutty bread… and then an all encompassing assertive blast of alcohol, spice, brown sugar, and herbal hops. Bitterness is moderate and it does a great job of adding layers of flavor and balance. Warming. Dark fruits at the finish. Fairly crisp but not curt, there is a laziness that works well. This might be the most satisfying O-fest I have ever had. Hell, this is one of the best lagers I have ever had. What a great beer, what a devilish beer. I want to sip and savor but I want the drink it like a thirsty madman. This beer is the complete package. Truly amazing. Medium/medium-full in body with sturdy but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is great, it is filling, relaxing, and satisfying. Drinkable? Are you serious? This beer is like suckling the teat of a goddess. Fantastic stuff. I will have to get some more bombers next fall. There are no faults in this beer, aside from the fact it is not available in nebuchadnezzar bottles. If you like O-fests you must try this beer. It is a tad beefy so buck-up, turn up the Polka music, grab a big-ass pretzel, and enjoy!

Thanks ppoitras for the bomber, this was a great addition to the 2004 Secret Santa beer swap.

12-15-2004 15:11:43 | More by bditty187
CharlesRiver

4.18/5  rDev +5%

I am fairly new to the Berkshire Brewing beers. This one really got my interest. Pours out amber brown in color with nearly no head. The smell is very malty and sweet.

The first thing I said to myself after I had this was Wow! Nutty, caramel, sweet, malty, hoppy and all out beautiful. Unlike any Oktoberfest beer that I have had, much more beefed up. I love the carbonation level, much lower than most beers. It seems to fit this beer perfect.

To be honest I am no expert with this style. Is this an Oktoberfest? I have no idea. Do I really like it? You bet.

11-12-2004 00:32:50 | More by CharlesRiver
Skidz

Wisconsin

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Thanks to ppoitras for the trade.

Pours out a nice amber and sits a foggy orange brown in the glass with a good sized foamy off-white head with nice lacings.

Smells nice a hoppy, all spicy and herbal. Malts are in good form and give off a nice caramel sweetness. Lightly toasted and crisp.

Tastes mildly sweet up front full of raw doughy sweetness. Dripping of caramel along the sides and soothing hop spiciness. Well balanced and warms up with alcohol in the back of the mouth. Finish is dry and lightly bitter with lingering presence of alcohol and malty sweetness.

Ever so smooth in the mouth but crisp on the sides with carbonation that's easy to handle. Well rounded body, full of life. A great Oktoberfest beer and has got the power to keep rolling in brings even more with it. Just plain tasty.

10-21-2004 21:14:38 | More by Skidz
schemb

3.58/5  rDev -10.1%

This one is actually has some alchohol and body cajones. Pretty dark orange hue. Nice and syrupy, kinda like mixing a maibock and a doublebock in color and weight. Stands up well to kielbasa, mustard, and kraut. Its different from other Octoberfests and certainly not a classic example but I like this subgenre.

10-20-2004 17:16:55 | More by schemb
Truh

3.83/5  rDev -3.8%

Toasted Sam Hain with this one on 10/10/2004. 16-oz. pour in a typical pint glass at Fitzwilly’s in Northampton, MA with the Pats winning their record 19th game in a row.

Light, sticking film of head that clung all the way down, though again as nothing more than a curtain call. Light rose to deep amber in hue and crystal clear with some constant flow. Buttery malt nose with a touch of brown sugar and golden raisins. Deep and juicy refined malt character to mouth, and actually more body than many of the other Ok/ctoberfests that pop up at this time of year. Succinctly crisp and quite refreshing.

10-14-2004 01:52:27 | More by Truh
scottum

Vermont

1.98/5  rDev -50.3%

Pours a nice beautiful amber with a full white head. Tastes malty and hoppy just like beers tend to taste, but this is not a good taste. Kinda a toasty fruit thing in there with the hops, but I can't really describe how this brew crashes. It is just BAD, straighht up. The worst Octoberfest beer (ale or lager) that I've ever tried. Stay away, far far away.

10-12-2004 00:48:28 | More by scottum
celfan

Vermont

4.4/5  rDev +10.6%

Absolutely delicious. Wasn't sure what to expect because I didn't catch much aroma when I gave it a sniff, but a great taste of caramel and roasted malt. Hops are present but not overpowering. I've recently moved to Vermont from the midwest and I've found that many of the beers from this area are way to hoppy for my taste. I'm going to buy a couple of cases of this and put em in the basement. Well done Berkshire!

10-09-2004 21:55:08 | More by celfan
aquatonex

4.47/5  rDev +12.3%

Now, I know BBC makes some damn good beer. But, this even surpassed my high standards for their company!

Pours dark opaque brown with minimal head. Very inviting, looks like it'll warm you up. Not much was noticeable in the smell. Then again, this time of year your nostrils are clogged so who can tell what anything smells like? Taste was phenominal. At first, there some toasty accents and then the spice/herbs just roll over your tongue with such a great taste. Also, very smooth and consistent. An extremely satisfying brew!

10-08-2004 20:42:24 | More by aquatonex
Jason

4.38/5  rDev +10.1%

Presentation: 22 oz brown bomber with a “Purchase Before Month Notched” freshness date on the side of the label.

Appearance: Fluffy creamy colored lace that holds to the glass well, mildly hazed rusty amber color.

Smell: Oh so malty in the aroma, waves of layered sweetness, faint caramel and toasted malt flow into the nostrils.

Taste & Mouth Feel: Big lagered smoothness with a growing crispness in the back, slick malty mouth feel with a full body. Lots of malt on the tongue ranging from a ghost like caramel to a straight-lined toasted grain, bready to doughy. Hops are mellow from the age yet have still held on to the balance, hints of herbal flavor come forth as soon as a warming alcohol drops in and nearly feigns a bock like appearance. Ends with a solid residual maltiness and lingering alcoholic warmth.

Notes: They should call this one an Oktobefestbockbier. This is one hefty no holds bared brew, it shows its strength as well as its age. If you feel up to it give it a try, as for my thoughts … it is on one of the best not only in the NE area but all of the US as far as the style goes. Compare it to imports … its on a different level.

10-05-2004 00:23:36 | More by Jason
orbitalr0x

4.13/5  rDev +3.8%

This pours from the bomber a deep amber color with hints of red shining through. A big 1" fluffy head bubbles up nicely. The smell is caramel upfront with some fruity tones in there as well. Hints of alcohol can be smelled also.

The first taste is quite complex. Caramel malts are leading the way with some notable hops and alcohol. I also taste some bready tones with some fruit esters as well. This is probably one of the best lagers I've had to date and a great example of a tasty Oktoberfest brew.

Mouthfeel is wonderful. It has a nice big body that satisfies me, unlike many of the more watery lagers that I've tried in the past. Drinkability is damn good as well. It's tasty and a perfect companion to sitting out on my porch on this cool October evening. Thanks to ppoitras for the opportunity to try this fine O-fest brew.

10-03-2004 23:04:11 | More by orbitalr0x
ppoitras

4.08/5  rDev +2.5%

22ozer bottle from Yankee Spirits, Sturbridge, MA.

Poured into an imperial pint glass, formed a dense 1 1/2" tan head above a dark copper ale. Laces excellently. Aroma is lightly of caramel malts and hops, but wish it was a bit more intense. Taste is malty, with minimal hops presence, and a small kick of alcohol at the end. Mouthfeel is very smooth, and drinkability is excellent. Seems they've satisfied both worlds here, a flavorful beer which lends itself to the Oktoberfest sessions. Search it out and decide yourself.

09-29-2004 20:57:31 | More by ppoitras
littlebibs

4.5/5  rDev +13.1%

UPDATE Sept. 11, 2007...Just wanted to review this years batch because this one has topped my exceptions for Bershire Oktoberfest. Its just a delicious batch, right up there again
and surpassing Gritty's Halloween Ale and Sam Addams and
riding on top with Magic Hat's Jinx as my favorite so far this
year. It must be something pouring it on tap. Creamier, less
alcohol in your face but its there just the same. It has put FLAVOR right at the top and this lager is SO FRESH, I can't say enough
about this one, I could just drink em', good to find something
this tastey, but I'm still samplin'. Half way down the second glass and still a nice creamy head (caramel, toffee, malty, lightly
hopped, but it does have a slight kick in the back end) This is one of my best finds this year,(2007) especially for an Oktoberfest lager. Nice dark amber orange color nice creamy head disapears
slowly as you drink. Its hard to say anything bad about this
batch of delicious lager.
The caramel toasty malty feel is there but there is so many things going on in this mix? Its has a dryness back there, almost like
some ESB(Gritty's Halloween Ale) for example but it doesn't
put you off, its different from all the autumn beers I've sampled
so far. I like it allot and like Jinx from Magic Hat and the Gritty
McDuffy's Halloween Ale, Gearys...but Bershire has a magical mix of flavors that
is not so easily idenified but with the beer warming abit, you
can start picking out the flavors. This one is a special batch for
sure and I will get more. If you drink the 1pt. 6oz bottle you won't
forget it. Love these home brews, nice and fresh! You can start
to feel the change of the seasons with this great Massachusetts Oktoberfest lager.

09-29-2004 02:19:09 | More by littlebibs
far333

3.3/5  rDev -17.1%

Copper/honey-colored with a thick and foamy off-white head that rises up high and sticks around for half the glass. Faint doughey aroma, a little sweet. Flavor is accosted by the alcohol. ABV is way too high for this style in my opinion. Flavor is malty, some fruit and caramel, but also a burnt marshmallow undercurrent. There are probably some interesting flavor nuances trying to get out.

09-20-2004 02:28:12 | More by far333
Greenlabel

4.35/5  rDev +9.3%

I'm very enthusiastic about my first tasting of this seasonal product. Great label design which sets the stage for a fall treat. The color is darker than some Octoberfests I've enjoyed - sort of a dark amber offset with a lingering white head. Very enticing. Nothing of note about the smell. The taste is quite complex and hard to describe - definitely more body to the product and no unpleasant aftertaste. On finishing the 22 oz. bottle, I was anxious for more but I'm afraid that it will have to await my next trip to MA as Berkshire's products are unfortunately not distributed in my home state of NH. This is now one of my favorite Berkshire products and next time I'll purchase more than one

09-18-2004 17:04:25 | More by Greenlabel
Citadel82

3.65/5  rDev -8.3%

Pours clear amber/copper with a thick creamy head that rapidly receded leaving thick lacing. Slightly sweet malt, floral, fruity scent that does not prepare you for the first sip. First sip carmel, malt then strong alcohol with a long bitter finish. The alcohol is really quite pronounced at first but receded as my palate became accustomed to seeking out the other flavors. buttery/toffee?Not like any Marzen I have ever tasted. Did I mention the alcohol. Still a great beer. I will seek more out in VT next week.

09-11-2004 02:31:27 | More by Citadel82
twelvsies

Maine

4.33/5  rDev +8.8%

BBC is such a solid company, and I was not dissapointed in the least with this seasonal brewage (Fall 2004 batch). First of all, I like the nice orange label, gets me in the fall mood. Appears a deep amber color, very inviting. Not much head on this one, which seems to differ from the other reviews I browsed, but whatever. Smells a little sweet and nutty, malty, maybe a bit fruity. Tastes great! Tastes pretty consistent with the smells, nutty and a tad sweet, nothing over the top, a very well-balanced beer. I'm very pumped about this beer right now, I'll be getting more than my share until the Cabin Fever winter brew comes out. Feels good going down the pipes, I could drink this beer anytime. Cheers!

09-10-2004 00:48:51 | More by twelvsies
connecticutpoet

3.63/5  rDev -8.8%

This was an amber lager with a large head, but it dissipated quickly and rather loudly.

The aroma was of rich malts, with some deep fruitiness and a small amount of sweetness.

The taste was malty, not bitter, somewhat smooth, but a little grainy. There were hints of hops and the alcohol was noticeable. It was a little too prominent for my tastes... I like it a little bit more subdued.

Not my favorite beer from this brewery.

09-06-2004 03:00:58 | More by connecticutpoet
kelticblood

3.9/5  rDev -2%

Great appearance with a huge off-white head leaving rings of lace as it settled.Color is an auburn to gold hue.More carbonation than I'm used to with Berkshires beers.Bubbling carbonation up from the bottom.Strange aroma for an Octoberfest.Has a strong fruit aroma of cherries,caramel.and malt.The taste is very dry and malty with a strong alcohol bite on the finish.A touch bit watery.Bitter dry hoppiness.Full-bodied with enough kick to warm you up.The dryness would get to me quick with more than one or two of these.Exceptional lacing and appearance.Very cloudy with sediment left in the bottle.Great for a chilly Autumn day.

10-25-2003 20:23:06 | More by kelticblood
goz

2.5/5  rDev -37.2%

Pours a medium-dark amber, large white head, mostly lasting, laces very nicely. Aroma is stron - lots of butterscotch, toffee and caramel, with just a bit of toasty malt in the back. Flavor is dominated with the butterscotch, almost like one of those butterscotch hard candys you sometimes get, or maybe werthers original (that was what my wife said it tasted like). Slick and smooth mouthfeel. Something doesn't seem right with this - it looks good, but aroma and taste seem to be off.

10-05-2003 01:56:50 | More by goz
sponberg

4.15/5  rDev +4.3%

22 oz. bottle, freshness date notched December (2003, I assume!). Darkish amber, an offwhite head that hangs around for a bit. Malty sweet aroma - sweet tea, bread, caramel. Mmmm...

This beer has just been banned from Octoberfest competition for steroid use. But, as commissioner, I hereby rescind the ban. One big malty brew - plenty of caramel, toasty-bready malt notes, some butteriness in the background, and a very well controlled warming surge o' in the finish. Faint Hallertau hops way in the background as well as a subtle underlying bitterness. Very round, full mouthfeel. It's 22 ounces, and the bottle's too small. Really a fine, fine effort, a bit big for the style but I don't find that to be a problem at all.

09-30-2003 01:47:15 | More by sponberg
Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.