Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Berkshire Oktoberfest LagerBerkshire Oktoberfest Lager

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  6.80% ABV

Availability: Fall

Beer added by: Jason on 09-27-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +15.9%

This is a one of a kind beer. It's right on the border of being an imperial Oktoberfest. I realize this is a strong statement, but I've never had a better one; domestic or German.

Appearance is as beautiful as any Oktoberfest. Warm and inviting.

The smell is extremely toasty, and a bit intimidating. It's unique, but a bit overbearing in it's weirdness.

Taste is extremely roasty and bready. Maltiness up the ass with some smooth hop backbone. it's got a lot of that lager funk that I love mixed in with a heavy flavor profile that's not typical of most lagers.

Mouthfeel is thick and warm. Sharp and smooth at the same time.

This beer is really a grand slam for the style. Germans be warned, you've got some stiff competition from America. (749 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +16.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

“Purchase Before” February is marked on the label.

Golden in hue with tawny influences, there is a slight haze too; this gives it a natural look. Some animation was noticed in the liquid, moved towards the head at a steady pace. The foam was rocky, about three fingers in height; it looks great in my ½ liter mug. Oktoberfest in December, hell yeah! Ah, memories… Head retention was very good; it slowly subsided to a modest cap that lasted the entire consumption. Subsequent lacing was spotty and unorganized. The appearance is ideal for an O-fest. The nose is great. The bouquet is exactly like what I want an O-fest to smell like, plus the potency is as loud as I could reasonable imagine. There is great malt depth with caramel, some toasty/bready notes. Hints of grain and nut. The malt is quite rich in aroma (very nice). I am surprised that the hops are so easily detected; good balance. The hops offer some spiciness and some herbal notes. Alcohol is noticeable as well, heat from an O-fest? Is this from Avery? I’m a little concerned, considering the abv is 7%. On the whole the nose is very satisfying. Inviting. I was sold after the first sip. This is a mighty fine tasting beer. Multiple layers of malt; I counted three. It was shifting gears in my mouth. Caramel sweetness… dry nutty bread… and then an all encompassing assertive blast of alcohol, spice, brown sugar, and herbal hops. Bitterness is moderate and it does a great job of adding layers of flavor and balance. Warming. Dark fruits at the finish. Fairly crisp but not curt, there is a laziness that works well. This might be the most satisfying O-fest I have ever had. Hell, this is one of the best lagers I have ever had. What a great beer, what a devilish beer. I want to sip and savor but I want the drink it like a thirsty madman. This beer is the complete package. Truly amazing. Medium/medium-full in body with sturdy but natural carbonation, the mouthfeel is great, it is filling, relaxing, and satisfying. Drinkable? Are you serious? This beer is like suckling the teat of a goddess. Fantastic stuff. I will have to get some more bombers next fall. There are no faults in this beer, aside from the fact it is not available in nebuchadnezzar bottles. If you like O-fests you must try this beer. It is a tad beefy so buck-up, turn up the Polka music, grab a big-ass pretzel, and enjoy!

Thanks ppoitras for the bomber, this was a great addition to the 2004 Secret Santa beer swap. (2,474 characters)

4.62/5  rDev +17%

Pours a fingers worth of creamy white head. Slightly hazy deep amber body. Better than average look.

Smells quite nice overall. Sweet sugary Carmel, toffee, molasses, Munich malt.

Tastes very sugary sweet, Carmel, pumpkin pie spices come to mind, maybe vanilla, clove and nutmeg. The typical Octoberfest like flavors come through but in a subtle way. The sweetness is quite pronounced, just the way I like it. If you don't like a sweet beer this is not for you.

Mouthfeel is medium full, medium carbonation. A bit of hop bitterness on the finish tries to keep this one in check.

Overall I'm a fan of this beer. Some have mentioned the year to year variation and that is true but I've liked them all. This one seems sweeter but that may be my palate only. I'll be picking mone more of these up before there gone.
$4 a bomber. (828 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +18.5%

poured from the 22oz bottle into a pint glass

A- dark rust brown with some carbination but with very little head, some lacing on the glass. the clarity of this beer was excellent

S- some malty undertones, not to much complecxity but what was there smelled great

T- wow, big malty profile and oh so clean and refreshing. Malt presence reminded me a of a bock beer. Very very good

M- balanced perfectly not to thick or thin

D- an easy drinker dispite its 7% ABV this is one to be careful with. an excellent oktoberfest can rival any other here in the states or germany. Tremendous achivement from my favorite american brewery. (639 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +20.3%

poured a amber/gold, sudsy tan head, spider web lacing all the way through.
sweet fruity aroma's, a hint of pine wood as well.
fruity explosion on 1st sip, cherries, apples, pine,sweet malt, hops in the back that come through on the after taste.
mouthfeel is bubbly crisp, with a bit of creaminess, and chewy on the end.
drinkability is EXCELLENT! I wait all year for this brew...very good!...I would drink it on a boat, with a goat, in my sox, with a fox..I DO, I DO, LOVE THIS BREW! (488 characters)

A pint served at Grendel's Den in Cambridge, MA. Ruddy brown in color, maybe a bit of copper thrown in there. Deep malty flavor, mild fruitiness. No head. The Oktoberfest to beat this fall, IMHO. (195 characters)

FY10 22oz bomber. Wow! This is one beer you need to seek out - immediately! I've been anticipating the release of Berkshire's O'fest for months as it is one of my absolute favorites and this years version is over the top. A humongous taste of carmel toffee malty sweet deliciousness. Of all the beers I've tasted this year I would have to say this is one of my top 5. (367 characters)

Berkshire Oktoberfest Lager from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.