Coffeehouse Porter - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Coffeehouse PorterCoffeehouse Porter

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 05-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffeehouse Porter Alström Bros
first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last

I love coffee, and I love beer. Naturally, I love coffee beers. This beer is easily one of my favorites, if not my favorite. It is simply perfection in a bottle.

It's smooth, creamy, rich but not heavy, and tastes like the most perfect coffee married the most perfect porter. This is one of those beers I could drink all night if I didn't need to sleep at some point.

I originally had it in a bottle, but when I had it on nitro tap, I was blown away. The nitrogen gives the beer just a little added crispness that turns it from a 9 all the way up to 11.

I could go on about how perfectly the malt and the coffee work together, or the way it's perfectly balanced, or how I really want another one right the hell now. However, if there is one flaw in this beer, it's that I can only have one, or maybe two before I'll be up all night. I already drink a lot of coffee as it is.

Still, this may be the perfect coffee beer. (922 characters)

On nitro-tap @ The Horseshoe Pub in Hudson, MA.

A - Deep, dark brown with shades of red at the edges. No light comes through. Thick, pillowy, frothy, light brown, latte-like head. Just sits there. Love it.

S - Coffee, raisins, cocoa, and roasted, charred malt.

T - Strong coffee and chocolate. Like a milkshake or chocolate cake finished with a shot of espresso.

M - Perfect body for a porter. Chocolaty and roasty goodness. Highly enjoyable to drink.

Such a fantastic beer. It may be due to the nitro-tap, but I gotta give this beer a perfect "5". Everything the style should be. (585 characters)

This is currently my favorite beer. Every time I go to the Horseshoe Pub, I am tempted to ignore the other 79 offering and just order this flawless beer. Bold, rich flavor. No bitter aftertaste. Nice roasted notes, without being overpowering. And yes, I like the fact that it will kick you in the butt if you drink it too fast on an empty stomach. (347 characters)

4.97/5  rDev +22.7%

Appearance is a very dark brown, with about a quarter inch of foam at the top. Lasting head with a burgundy tint. The most evident aroma is of chocolate covered espresso beans. Tastes are roasted coffee and a mix of sweet dark chocolate and bitter baking chocolate. Smooth, yet heavy mouth feel -- like sipping a high-quality espresso drink. So drinkable, I think it could replace my morning cup of Dean’s Beans! It’s definitely more enjoyable than an iced coffee would be on this hot summer day, which is saying a lot for a heavy porter. I love this beer! (558 characters)

4.92/5  rDev +21.5%

A- exactly how I would expect a nitro tap porter to be served. rich brown color and a nice nitro head.

S- rich coffee aroma that is slightly sweet smelling

T- Can't even begin to describe how perfectly the coffee and malts blend to create what seems like an iced coffee that was sweetened with malts. (may not sound that good, but like i said i can't begin to describe it)

M- very well balanced bitterness and malty sweetness, and having this on nitro tap brought its smoothness to the next level. (though it is an amazing beer in bottles as well)

D- I could drink this beer all night, and never want for anything else (622 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

A very smooth malt with a coffee taste that lives up to its name. Nice lightish medium body and quite refreshing considering all the heavy smoked porters on the market. The chocolate and coffee work well together with right amount of bitterness. Brilliant beer for a leisurely loaf in the evening (296 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +19.8%

22 OZ bottle, into a pint glass, served relatively cold.

I love most of the beers these guys produce, and since I love coffee this one was sure to be a hit.

It poured like with a small creamy head, and was colored like cola, but not dark like a stout.

It smelled good, heavy roasted coffee/chocolate smell (obviously)

Taste was excellent, with a wonderful coffee/malty after taste. Did not have a heavy alcohol presence, with a medium carbonation level.

Bottom line is that if you like porters and coffee you would not be dissapointed with this brew. I wouldn't call it a session beer because it very rich and I could only find 22 OZ bottles, and at $5-7 a bottle it is a great special occasion beer! (716 characters)

4.8/5  rDev +18.5%

Appearance: pours a beautiful chocolate brown with a thin tan head. Leaves minimal lacings down the glass.

Smell: Coffee is up front! Dark french roast or espresso immediately comes to mind. A hint of malt but coffee is the boss for this brew.

Taste: A beautiful marriage of dark coffee, chocolate, and roasted malts. This is my type of beer. A virtual wet dream come true for a coffee and beer lover!

Mouthfeel: Strong, bold, wonderfully big and complex with all the characteristics that make a great cup of coffee and the perfect porter.

Drinkability and overall: Couldn't get enough of this beer! If all other beers in the world were taken away from me, my only request would be to keep this one (maybe a little dramatic but you get the idea). Find it and drink it!

Can't thank ppoitras and BIF 11 enough for this one!!!! (1,109 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +18.3%

Was so excited when I saw this at a store across from Boston garden a couple weeks ago. There are some folks on this site that speak so highly of this brew. Not to mention I love coffee brews

A- coffeehouse pours a massive opaque body that would draw comparisons to my daily first cup of Joe at 630am at the office. Mocha chocolate foams gravitates to the top of my dfh snifter and recides back to a fair look of slight foam

S- rich black coffee that is completely saturated with so much coffee grinds after you dump the filters. Here is the best part... There is not a massive sugar and cream presence and I love that in my coffee brews. This can be confused for a cup of coffee.... And I like that!

T- iced black coffee!!! All over the brew. I never put cream or
sugar in my coffee and this embodies it exactly. Dark flavor with dry taste all over the brew. Some chocolate appears midway through that pulls the tasting back into the porter world. If I go through the Tom hortens or dunkin drive thru, I order a black iced coffee and this is it

M- mild catbonation that is followed by a syrupy flavor that does not let down. Really enjoying this coating flavor

O- the ba'ers on the site are right. This is a cup of Joe that doesn't let down. I live the coffee grind/dry combination that makes this brew stay true to a black coffee flavor. I need to do a dance off of coffee beers (1,386 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +17%

As a coffee lover, this beer was spectacular. The coffee aroma and taste was sharp and explicit. I am not sure how much that would attract one to this porter however. But, seeing that it is porter, I am certain many will be drawn to this drink. It had a great, thick flavor. It's appearance resembled a dark, roasty coffee. And the coffee flavor was very well developed. It was not so strong, though, as to make one feel you were drinking something from your local cafe. Like I said, it might not be for everyone but I feel many porter lovers will want to try this unique drink. (578 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Poured from a 22oz. bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep dark brown color, with a medium-sized tan head that fades slowly and leaves a thick, even lace on the glass.

S: Simply put, if ever a beer smelled like a cup of coffee, this is the beer. I used to work downwind from a company that manufactures coffee syrup and the aroma that comes from that place when they roasted the coffee beans is exactly what this beer smells like.

T: As the name implies, the flavor is all rich coffee with some roasted malt. There's a little bit of hops in there just to make you remember that you're actually drinking a beer. The after-taste is almost the same as the one I get from my Dunkin' Donuts iced coffee every morning.

M: Extremely smooth and a little viscous, medium-to-heavy body, light-to-medium carbonation, finish is a little sticky, but not as much as you would expect from this type of beer.

D: I think I could drink this beer as often as some people drink coffee. This is just a tasty, easy-drinking, enjoyable beer. It's also the type of beer that could be a pounder or a sipper. (1,106 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Wow. Great beer. Very dark in appearance with a great aroma to boot. If you like coffee and beer, this is a marriage made in heaven. The taste is perfect and the mouthfeel is well above average. It might be difficult to drink many of these, though I have never tried more than 2 at a sitting. If you have the chance to try it, don't miss the opportunity. (354 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +16.5%

Pours an opaque black; tan head, not very sticky. Cappuccino and chocolate aromas. Slick, creamy mouthfeel; doesn't have the tendency to dry out the mouth the way many stout and porters seem to. More robust coffee and chocolate in the taste with some caramel maltiness. Hop presence isn't overt but keeps the sweetness in check. Not a particularly complex ale, pretty straightforward, but very tasty and ridiculously drinkable for a porter. (440 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +16.3%

22oz bottle into dogfish signature glass. Best by 1/18/11 inked in yellow on the shoulder of the bottle.

Appearance - As close to black as possible without actually being black. Thick silky tan head on this beer with very sticky lace. This is one beauty of a beer just like its cousin, Drayman's Porter.

Smell - Mixture of dark chocolate, fresh extra bold coffee, bold caramel, and a faint whisper of citrus in the background.

Taste - The coffee and chocolate storm the taste buds first. This slowly fades into the nice caramel backbone. The smokiness of the coffee and the sweetness coming from the caramel-like flavors give this beer one hell of a body. A whisper of hops in the finish that is quickly overrun by the distinctive coffee/caramel/chocolate profile of this beer.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied with light-medium carbonation. Smooth and creamy without being viscous or filling.

Drinkability - Incredibly drinkable. Goes down so smooth and feels fluffy and weightless. I want another. (997 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +15.6%

fresh creamy head, yummy coffee back, smooth on the tongue.
In general the freshness of all the BBC brews are a huge advantage to other beers that have to travel through huge distribution systems. A fresh smooth thick remainder of lace from a imperial pint glass. (263 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

A- This beer just looks awesome. Two finger head with moderate head retention. Lacing present. Dark brown to almost pitch black.
S - I love coffee so this beer smells great. Some roasted malt and very slight vanilla hints are present.
T - Very balanced coffee flavour with a smoked yet not overpowering flavour. Roasted malt is present. Not much hop flavour if any.
M - One word....Smooth. This porter is very smooth and feels good while drinking.
D - Very drinkable for a coffee porter. You could drink more than one. (518 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +15.3%

A - Slick brownish black with a great finger and a half cream head. The retention is solid with some sturdy lacing and serious legs. Looks fantastic.

S - Whomever Deans Beans are, they're freaking awesome. This coffee smells unbelievable, and I'm pretty sure that this beer is pushing 4+ months old and is holding strong. The fresh roast smells like walking into a coffee shop, more mocha than straight black coffee, a bit of roasted malt thats overall sweet.

T - Clean, freshly roasted coffee, mocha, heavy roast without being overpowered, tobacco, tea and finishes with honey. It's sweet and dry at the same time. Fantastic balance, fantastic flavor. I know that this bottle is on the old side, so the coffee probably will taste better with a fresh bottle, but this doesn't disappoint at all.

M - I wish the body was a bit beefier, but it's definitely medium with a great carbonation pop. I can't really complain here.

O - This is a diamond in the rough. Very near to a cold cup of freshly roasted coffee with a shot of chocolate. (1,040 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

A- Very dark brown/black, a thin light brown head

S- Robust roasted malt smell, coffee, chocolate

T- Roasted malt, cocoa, nice bitter coffee bite at the end

M- Medium weight, medium carbonation, very smooth

D- Very drinkable for any porter lover

All around great beer. Great smell... full of taste and complexity. Definatly one of the best beers I've had in a long time. (375 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +14.8%

This was obtained thru a trade I believe with jleblanc. Does this ever look delish! I love coffee beers!!

Poured into my NB globe glass. haahaa

A - Very dark as a porter should be. Off white dirty looking head, some big bubbles at first then a nice layer of little bubbles.

S - Nice easy coffee. Not too sweet. It's coffee just as I'd want to drink it; not too fancy. This is coffee...in a beer. Does it get any better?

T - At first I thought the nose had it here, but then BAM coffee lands on your taste buds. Again, not too sweet and not trying to do anything fancy. Big can't miss coffee presence here.

M - The coffee hangs on your breath. It's a wonderful aftertaste. Light/medium mouth feel which I think is quite appropriate for this beer.

D - Coffee. Plain and simple. If you love coffee, you'll love this beer. Could I drink this all day? Yes! (860 characters)

4.63/5  rDev +14.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

I have heard of this brewery in passing as it is located fairly close by. As a coffee aficionado I had to get my hands on this beer as they use Dean's Beans which is one of my favorite coffee roasters. I figured that it would taste like drinking coffee, but within a beer and in fact they nailed it.

I poured it into a 12 ounce glass. The color is as black as it could possibly be. There is a coffee/tan colored lace around the edges.

It smells like coffee, a lot of coffee. Perhaps more of an espresso type of smell. Very bold with a small hint of chocolate.

It tastes like COFFEE!!! Wow, to my surprise the notes of coffee are incredibly strong. It's a very full bodied beer and has a nice bite to it.

There is a fair amount of carbonation, but it doesn't take away from the creaminess of the beer. It goes down very smooth.

Overall, it's exceptional. If you love coffee, you will love the coffeehouse porter from BBC!!! (928 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22oz brown bomber - no bottled on/best by date, purchased at Leary's Fine Wine (http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/2678) on 10/14/09, drank on 10/15/09. Vigorous pour into a tulip produces a light tan 1 finger head, dissipates to leave a very thin tan head over a black body. Huge coffee, black malt nose. Coffee dominates the taste followed closely by those dark roasted malts, surprisingly sweet with just a hint of espresso like astringency. Very smooth, medium/full body, mild carbonation. A very tasty coffee beer, one of my new favorites, great for breakfast or dessert, I will be buying this again. (607 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +13.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

22 Ounce Bomber Bottle bought at the brewery.

I love a good strong cup of coffee and a nice malty beer. What a delight an absolute joy to be able to enjoy these two indulgences together.

A beautiful pour. Deep chocolate opaque with a creamy, thick , tan head. Abundant lace on the way down. This may result from my greedily consuming my glass before it could even warm up. I am certain it would have been a bigger treat if allowed to warm.

The smell is exquisite coffee and malt that assaults the nose as the pour commences. Their is little room for the hops but you can sense them asserting themselves somwhere in the background.

The taste is like the smell only more so...powerful coffee taste with some sweet malts and hop bitterness in there. I rare treat that capped off a fine meal of Pasta Bolognese.

Mouth feel is silky with abundant carbonation. Treeat to be savored as it winds it way across the taste buds.

Need you ask this is one drinkable brew. Divine. (984 characters)

4.59/5  rDev +13.3%

22oz bomber.. 'dean's beans'

pours a very dark amber color with soapy tan head.. leaves a mongoloid sticky lacing everywhere, gluing itself to the glass edge. aroma here is pure coffee, maybe the most intense ive ever inhaled from a beer. smell reminds you of fresh, pre-ground gourmet beans. the oils from the coffee bean are present in spades. makes me want to add half and half to my beer. in the flavor, bbc adds the perfect level of beeriness to this in order to work magic with the coffee. beerwise, this starts out with big malts and fades into a brown sugar smoothness.. and make no mistake, the coffee is there at the beginning, middle, and end. i would be surprised if this beer was not extremely high in caffeine. for the style, though, this beer finds itself extremely drinkable. light and airy overall, with a flavor that doesn't overwhelm (unless you don't normally drink coffee).. er, good coffee. bitterness is half roast and half botanical, with a sweet hazelnut kicker in the end. i can't name a better coffee beer (dark lord, ok, but that's so much more). peche mortel, take a lesson or two from this amazing libation.

borrowed from BA mattcrill:

"Note to all: If you like strong coffee and you like porters, you will enjoy this beer. If your idea of coffee is some sissy mocha with chocolate shavings and whipped cream and your favorite style of beer happens to be a nice golden pilsner, stay away from this beer!"

well said and worth repeating. agreed. (1,486 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a deep black with brown highlights. This beer looks like the deep dark night sky.

Smells of powerful coffee notes. What a fantastic smell this beer has!!! Just like the commercials that the son comes home on christmas morning and wakes up the family with a blend of maxwell house, this beers smell will get you out of bed.

I dont drink coffee, but I would drink this if I could order it every morning at my local starbucks. What a fantastic coffee taste. Deep malt grain. sweetness walter payton and this beer are on the same page.

Lingering aftertaste. Get this while you can and drop it like its hot. (614 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +12.8%

Pours a deep brown color with a fluffy head that leaves a nice lace. Aromas are a mix of expressos and coffees with hints of chocolate, dark fruits and a slight tone of smoke. Flavors start off initially smokey with bits of coffee and expresso. There is an underlining flavor of chocolate with a nice sweetness and almost vanilla like tone that lingers throughout the brew. The finish has a nice molasses flavor following with some more powerful coffee tones and a slight bitter finish that rounds things out but keeps it very drinkable. The mouthfeel to this brew was nicely creamy and medium bodied which led to this being very very drinkable. A fine example of a porter. (673 characters)

first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50 | 51-75  | next › last
Coffeehouse Porter from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.