Coffeehouse Porter - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Coffeehouse PorterCoffeehouse Porter

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

Beer added by: purplehops on 05-03-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffeehouse Porter Alström Bros
2.36/5  rDev -41.7%

22oz. bottle thanks to Ira

Pours a deep, dark mahogany brown with a thin tan head that fades. Decent lacing on the glass.

Aroma is roasty with some caramel tones and a rather potent bitter coffee aroma.

Initial taste is roasty but is immediately washed over with a very bitter coffee taste that dominates right through the finish and lingers afterwards.

Thin body, mild carbonation.

This bottle is supposed to be pretty fresh, but from the other reviews I've read - there is something wrong with this. I could drink it if I had to - but I don't. What a shame as I was looking forward to this one very much.... (626 characters)

2.46/5  rDev -39.3%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks for sharing Chris!

(A)- Pours a pitch black color. Some tan froth and lace.

(S)- A little funky. A chalky/dry coffee bean and spice thing.

(T)- Dry, with that chalky coffee ground flavor. Does have some cocoa in there, but otherwise very dry and funky somehow.

(M)- A good carbonation level and a decent balance for whats in this, though that very dry funk taste/feel is a little weird and off-putting a bit.

(D)- Not bad, but i feel this definitely has some off flavors. (517 characters)

2.6/5  rDev -35.8%

Poured into a pilsner glass.

A- Nearly black, Thick but weak Tan head that didn't last.

S- Milk Chocolatey. Cafe americano.

T- Starts with a sweet chocolate, Moves to grainy, finishes bitter coffee.

M- Coats the tongue, but the carbonation quickly wipes it away.

O- Not what I was hoping for in this one. Not a session beer. One and only. (343 characters)

2.75/5  rDev -32.1%

On tap at the squealing pig in Boston.

Poured into a pint glass. Not quite jet black but a very dark brown in color. Thin head struggles to maintain itself but the carbonation holds the head. Thin lace eventually forms that slowly disappears.

Smell: Cold iced coffee mixed in with roasted malts. Very slight hop aroma but it is quite surpressed. The nose makes me think: "you are about to drink cold coffee"

Taste: Initial front end taste screams out with harsh astringent notes of bitter roasted malts and coarse coffee grinds. The coffee is very apparent and off-putting, however, the brew redeems itself in the backend by following with chocolate and cocoa blending nicely with a toasted malt profile. Just when that first bite off the coffee aspect hits - really does not meld well for me. I often think this part is the hardest to nail when integrating coffee in beer. The body is a bit thin for my tatses as well but the carbonation is lively.

Overall: Good to try once but thats about it. (1,000 characters)

2.89/5  rDev -28.6%

22oz bomber into a pint glass.

A: Dark, like black coffee with a one finger tan head which only lingers a short while.

S: robust aroma, roast coffee and malt. somewhat sweet smelling. awesome.

T: slightly bitter coffee, caramel malt and bakers chocolate

M: medium body and carbonation. bitter aftertaste

D: passable but not what I was hoping for. I was hoping for a more creamy coffee flavor with less day old coffee bitterness.

I have in the past put a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream in the glass and found it to my liking (531 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

Received in a trade from bjohnson, I believe. Thanks, man!

Dark brown body, approaching opaque, but has some chesnut highlights. Light tan head of dense foam that reduced to a thin layer. Nice sheets of lace were left behind as well.

Aroma is fairly strong, but one dimensional. Coffee with hazlenuts mostly. Some lactic acid sweetness as well.

Flavor doesn't quite do it for me. Toasted malts and cold coffee. Again the hazlenuts come through. A bit of floral hopping. This is just alright to me really. I think it needs some more toasted malt presence to tone down the coffee a bit. It lacks that toasty, slightly chocolatey porter characteristic I like.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and slightly slick on the tongue. Coats the mouth initially but washes away leaving a sticky hazlenut flavor to me. Low carbonation level too.

This one doesn't do it for me. I think the flavor that I interpret as hazlenut turns me off to this one. Its the same flavor I found in Rogue's beer too and I don't care for that one either. This might be okay for some people, but I think it needs a healthy dose of toasted malts to kick this up and balance it out more. (1,162 characters)

3.03/5  rDev -25.2%

Poured a dark brown color with an average brown frothy head. Nose is a bit faint and skuny with moderate roasted coffee aroma. Taste is flat. Where is the coffee? Mouthfeel is roasted malts with really no other flavors at all. The slight skunked flavor tends to creep out a bit in the end. I think I may have had a bad one so i wont kill it on ratings. (352 characters)

3.1/5  rDev -23.5%

Not being a fan of coffee i was alittle reluctant to try this.I bought it in a 22oz brown bottle to be sampled with friends.The coffee flavor wasnt noticable until the 3rd taste but seemed not to stay.It was thick and creamy with a decent head.The two coffee drinkers i sampled it with loved it.I think it is a taste to be acquired. (332 characters)

3.15/5  rDev -22.2%

This beer poured a transparent brownish/black body with a fluffy white/tan head.

The nose smelled like day old coffee that’s been sitting in the pot overnight. That and a mix of raw espresso beans that have been filtered already, malt some slight hints of chocolate. Basically it just smelled like old coffee.

The taste was right along the same lines. Instant coffee with non-dairy powdered creamer. A light to medium body, a perfectly balanced bitterness, a slight graininess. Smooth malt, with hints of chocolate and roasted barley. There was a slight metallic taste as well.

Basically it is what it says. A coffee flavored porter. It’s not a bad beer by any means, but when I taste a coffee flavored beer I’m expecting Starbucks or better, this is like Maxwell house instant. (792 characters)

3.16/5  rDev -22%

Dark brown, almost black in color. Huge, foamy beige head that leaves several lace rings smeared down the glass. Kinda like the glass is wearing a striped shirt. Thick foam retention.

Smells like dirt, light roast coffee, and brown sugar.

Tastes primarily of lightly roasted coffee. Brown sugar sweetness and mild vanilla. Sour nutty twang in back. Mouthfeel is of watered down iced coffee.

Overall an average coffee beer that could be much thicker and much roastier. It seems like a lot more could be done with 6.2% abv. (524 characters)

3.17/5  rDev -21.7%

22oz into a tulip

Nice dark color, litle head but retains a good deal of it. Lacing is spotty.

Great aroma of malts, roast, coffee, bitter chocolate notes.

The taste is dominated by the coffee flavors. While it's a decent enough flavor, the porter gets lost a bit.

Mouthfeel is fine for the style, perhaps a bit on the watery side, or perhaps it's my mind playing tricks because I feel like I'm drinking a cup of strong coffee.

There may be folks who like it balanced this way, but for me this is overly reliant on the coffee flavor and ignores what could be a very good porter.

(85) (590 characters)

3.21/5  rDev -20.7%

A- Berkshire Brewing Company Dean's Beans Coffeehouse Porter (what a mouthful) pours as black as morning coffee. It hits the glass and quickly dispenses a medium brown/khaki head with a finger or so of a nice tight head.
S- Overall, I getl ots of smoke, tar and a strong roasted grain bill around. Very black coffee-forward, with something slightly sweet (caramel notes) on the front of the nose. The heavy Porter notes really come around on the back of the nose.
T- Lots of smoke and coffee up front, a nice combination of traditional porter notes mixed with the addition of Dean's Beans. A subtle bitterness on the back of the palate with a very dry non-lingering finish.
M- On the mouthfeel, you definitely get more of the Porter notes than on the nose or in the taste of the beer itself. Heavy while on the palate, but it really doesn't linger like you think it should. Honestly, I don't want to forget the taste this beer as quick as I do. It really should linger a bit more than it does.
O- The flavors are good, maybe not as coffee-forward as it could be. I also don't get the lingering that I want out of a beer like this. I miss it too quickly. (1,153 characters)

3.23/5  rDev -20.2%

Thanks to Nase for this beer

A: Very dark chestnut brown with a clean hue to it. Head is a half inch medium sized creamy tan bubbles.

S: Hot cocoa and cold coffee. Simple but good.

T: Tastes exactly like it smells except swap out the hot cocoa for chocolate milk. Coffee hits first with minor cola nips accompanying it, sharp and a bit unsatisfying. Chocolate moves in next, delving into the realm of American opposed to the Belgian side. Finishes somewhat earthy with dry wood shavings, limestone and lingering canned coffee drink.

M: Medium body, a bit hard but good carbonation feel to it.

D: Not one of my favorite coffee brews but not a bad beer. Its hard to get the flavor to be rich opposed to sour in these coffee beers and I’m not sure this one accomplished that. (788 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.5%

Bottle as an extra from Aberration. Thank you, Nick. Best by 09May 2012, which probably means this is pretty fresh. Thank you, Nick.

Pouring a dark brown with a dense, light brown head with excellent retention and gorgeous lacing, this is a particularly attractive porter. The nose is solid.Plenty of fresh medium roast coffee with a mild acidic tinge is present, along with a nice roastiness, a touch of cream, caramel and finishing with a mild hop note. The hop character is mostly leafy and mildly minty, complementing the roast and coffee quite well. Moderately fruity as well, I get a little peachy note - is that from the coffee or the (I'm guessing) American ale yeast used. Strangely, there's a touch of sulfur as well.

The palate opens with the coffee front and center with a medium-light roast, moderately fresh with a moderate fruity character. There's something distracting going on, with something that tastes like a blend between a faint sulfur and faintly metallic character. The roast is actually on the lighter end of moderate, allowing the creamy and mildly caramel-like flavors to come through. However, that doesn't entirely work either. Mildly sweet on the finish with a blend of caramel, light coffee . Light in body with moderate, creamy carbonation, this beer is solid.

I'd drink it again, but I think this beer has a bit of an identity crisis - the base porter is neither a rich and roasty robust porter, nor is it on the sweeter, more caramel-heavy end of the spectrum. And while I think it has some flaws, part of me wonders how much of that is due to the base recipe not particularly aging well in this day of double coffee this and triple imperial that. (1,686 characters)

3.26/5  rDev -19.5%

22oz bottle poured into a Victory Golden Monkey Tulip

A: Black pour with a really creamy mocha head. Retention is decent and the lacing is quite nice. Really represents what I would expect from a coffee at a coffeehouse.

S: Light and chocolatey aroma is bolstered by some robust porter roastiness and slight coffee. I wonder how old this might be, because the coffee aroma is not as powerful as I would have expected.

T: The taste is a little light, as the aroma was, on the coffee. It's got that typical robust porter taste, with slight chocolate, caramel and roasted malts. But the coffee is only residual and not really doing it for me. It doesn't make this a bad porter, it's just average.

MF: Light body, but with a nice amount of carbonation. It is a decently drinkable beer even though it won't blow you away.

O: Just average and nothing special. I think it might be a bit too old and I'm missing the coffee. Might try it again. (940 characters)

3.3/5  rDev -18.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Appearance - Pours a very dark brown to black hue, fluffy off white head. Looks a little thin bodied.

Smell - You get some coffee but you have to look for it. The base porter is barely robust and is struggling to be something. Very faint roasted malts and tobacco.

Taste - Again, pretty moderate, nothing too special going on here. Very mellowed coffee, barely there even. The base beer is neither rich or robust but rather smooth, i assume to give way for the coffee. Maybe my bottle is old? I do get hints of vanilla, tobacco, roasted malts though, but very subdued.

Mouthfeel - Nothing special, pretty thin.

Overall - Just a middle of the road porter for me, at 4 bucks for 22oz though i can't complain, definitely worth it if you ask me, but far from world class. (771 characters)

3.31/5  rDev -18.3%

Enjoyed on tap @ E this week. Served as usual in my porcelin mug. Poured with a thick, creamy head. Chocolate brown appearance.

Dedected absolutely zero aroma. I even had Leslie pour it in a shot glass for me and let it warm up. Maybe the cold New England air is affecting my olfactory system.

Taste was mild, mild, mild, however, coffee grind bite in the finish and a hint of coffee up front.

Mouthfeel was smooth and modest with a creamy, malty body and a modest hop bite.

Very drinkable, but a tad too modest in all categories. They could stand to ratchet up the malt so you can detect something in the nose. A mild brew that is enjoyable nonetheless just not overly exciting. (683 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

Interesting brew. On the one hand very aggressive taste and appearance, although I'm not sure yet about the after taste. While the drying aspect is ok, there is some bitterness which is not normally my favorite thing. Despite this good brew. I will picking up another bomber to reassess. (287 characters)

3.33/5  rDev -17.8%

Poured into a hand-blown tulip glass from Mexico a dark cola black. Some brown head, but lots of trickling lace.

Aroma of old iced coffee mixed with fresh espresso beans -- smells a lot like Dean's Beans Italian Espresso Roast, or how it those particular beans would smell if they were covered in chocolate.

Tastes a lot like an espresso on ice while it's cold, and no other flavors come through as it warms up. Just a slight malt & chocolate bitterness.

Disappointingly thin body -- watery. Disappointingly simple flavor, surprisingly similar to iced coffee, really. I wouldn't recommend this beer. I don't know them, but I know there are better coffee-themed beers out there. That said, my girlfriend's sister, who is completely indifferent to beer quite liked this one. I guess that says something. I don't agree with Jason's 1998 comment that BBC should stay away from porters, though, because I quite enjoyed their Drayman's porter. (948 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

Had 5oz sample on tap at Sunset Bar & Grill in Allston, MA. Reviewed from (quite old) notes.

A - Dark brown in color, with little, thick brown head.

S - Coffee and hints of chocolate.

T - Sweet, for a beer with coffee in the name, it's missing the coffee umph that I was expecting. Watery, but moderately alcoholic tasting.

M - Coffee taste that lacked up front lingers for a while afterward.

D - Light enough tasting to drink a few, but taste may motivate me not to. (472 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

A- Nice creamy head. Decent retention, very little in ways of the carbonation disrupting the enjoyable picture. Nothing special nor disappointing about the lacing. Deep mahogany body, with that cola edges.

S- Faint aromas coming from this one. Some bitter coffee notes, burnt grains, some papery off-tones. Nothing allowing me to say this is a Coffehouse porter.

T- Opens burnt grains, slight transition to be more roasted. Middle starts to bite and ramp itself up. Bitter notes that last into the finish that remind me of black coffee. Very disappointing.

M- Creamy, mild body, and carbonation on the opening to refresh each drink. Lingers to an appreciable extent.

D- Just... decent. Nothing amazing, nothing special. Drinks like what you'd expect from a run of the mill beer. Pretty disappointing leading me to believe this is the third old bottle from a certain package. Can't tell for sure, but if this is the standard coffee flavor and aroma I won't be searching it again. (985 characters)

3.35/5  rDev -17.3%

Poured 22oz bottle into pint glass.

Appearance: Dark and rich, 2-3 fingers head.

Nose: Coffee beans, bitter carob, cloves.

Taste: Mild malt into strong coffee flavor, sweetness quickly fades into a finish of coffee and hops that lingers for quite a while. Bitter finish, possibly too much so. I drink my coffee black and it's not this bitter.

Mouthfeel: Pretty solid. Has enough bulk to make it feel rich and creamy. Coats the mouth with bitter coffee.

Drinkability: If the bitterness didn't kick in at the end, I'd be happier with it. I'd braise meat with this, or baste a roast with it, but wouldn't necessarily sip it. Lots of possible cooking applications. Dare I say chilli?

Overall: Good but not great. Not my cup of tea. Or coffee. (747 characters)

3.41/5  rDev -15.8%

22oz bottle poured into a CBS snifter

A deep, dark brown body with a creamy khaki cap. Sticky lace coats the glass. The head has a little cascading action before settling to a thick layer of foam.

The nose is mostly roast with some coffee notes. A bit of dark fruits. Not a deep or broad beer by any means.

On the palate, this guy follows the nose. The coffee is not very pronounced, but rather just an accent flavor. Roast malt is the prominent flavor with some dark fruits in the back. Little disappointed in the lack of depth and complexity.

On the lighter side of medium, carbonation was a little high for my liking. Watery in spots.

This is a decent coffee porter, better than most. (692 characters)

3.43/5  rDev -15.3%

Poured bomber into SA pint glass.

A: Pours a midnight black with ample 3-finger tan head that hung around for a bit, and left lacing everywhere.

S: Dark roast coffee with cream, and definite strong sweet notes of chocolate. Reminiscent of an iced mocha or a sweet coffee drink of some sort.

T: Definitely a nice coffee taste to it, in addition to semi-sweet chocolate; meltied Tootsie Rolls is all I could think of. The sweetness of the chocolate seemed to be a bit much early on and overpowered the coffee. Nice late hint of earthy hops tried to step in, but didn't really stand a chance. Not a bad taste, but just a bit too chocolatey sweet.

M: Medium-bodied and creamy.

D: A good porter overall, and well-served as a dessert drink. However, I found the final third of my bomber to be a bit more than I wanted. A pint would've sufficed because of the chocolatey sweetness. (879 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -14.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Thanks cookin420 for this large capped bottle, poured into a snifter.

Dark brown, near black, thin brown head that does not hold long, and lacing is just minimal.
Aroma is roasted malts, lots of coffee but not overwhelming, but still leaving very little space for anything else. Some bittersweet chocolate, and that's all.
Rather thin on the palate, and although coffee dominates the flavor, it is not exactly robust; the whole thing feels watered down. Chocolate, bittersweet, roasted malts, but all lacking significant depth.
Decent, but the lack of body and flavor depth compromises an otherwise pleasant brew. (618 characters)

Coffeehouse Porter from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.