Coffeehouse Porter - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Coffeehouse PorterCoffeehouse Porter

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Porter |  6.20% ABV

(Beer added by: purplehops on 05-03-2002)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Coffeehouse Porter Alström Bros

Rochefort10nh, Nov 22, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured into my Duvel 20 oz giant tulip. Poured this almost pitch black beer aggressively into the glass and got huge dark tan four inch head, that hung on around 5 minutes, then settled into a bubbly film, lots of webby lacing. Smell is roasted coffee, dark malts, little whiff of raisins, and some dark chocolate. Taste is mainly the roasted coffee, kind of one dimensional in a pleasant way. Body is thinner than expected, with plenty of carbonation, on the dry side, and very easy drinking. This is a nice tasting porter.

SawDog505, Nov 20, 2011

SarahMackAttack, Nov 20, 2011
3.75/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

22 oz bomber picked up at Anconas, poured into a pint glass.

Pours jet black with dabs of brown foam. Some lacing. Very strong coffee smell. Roasting. Smooth creamy taste, coffee finish. Subtle carbonation. Hard to tell between being a beer and being an iced coffee. Gets heartier as it warms.

Actually didn't like this as much as other Berksire's I've had.

KTCamm, Nov 19, 2011

3.75/5  rDev -8.1%

Lawnboy33, Nov 14, 2011

shuajw, Nov 14, 2011

s1ckboy, Nov 14, 2011

I love coffee, and I love beer. Naturally, I love coffee beers. This beer is easily one of my favorites, if not my favorite. It is simply perfection in a bottle.

It's smooth, creamy, rich but not heavy, and tastes like the most perfect coffee married the most perfect porter. This is one of those beers I could drink all night if I didn't need to sleep at some point.

I originally had it in a bottle, but when I had it on nitro tap, I was blown away. The nitrogen gives the beer just a little added crispness that turns it from a 9 all the way up to 11.

I could go on about how perfectly the malt and the coffee work together, or the way it's perfectly balanced, or how I really want another one right the hell now. However, if there is one flaw in this beer, it's that I can only have one, or maybe two before I'll be up all night. I already drink a lot of coffee as it is.

Still, this may be the perfect coffee beer.

DrunkPagan, Nov 11, 2011

Poured from bottle to a Glass (A Boston lager pint glass)

A: Dark. Almost black. Very small cap.

S: Coffee (obviously) and dark chocolate

T: Dark chocolate hints. Coffee grinds more so than a brew. Has a good amount of bitterness but not overwhelming at all.

M: Smooth. Nothing too impressive here. The taste doesn't really linger.

O: Great porter. I think it could have benefited from a bit more alcohol to round out the flavor and add more of the warmth I tend to expect from porters, but still a well done beer.

bristei, Oct 30, 2011
2.48/5  rDev -39.2%

22oz. bottle poured into a tulip. Thanks for sharing Chris!

(A)- Pours a pitch black color. Some tan froth and lace.

(S)- A little funky. A chalky/dry coffee bean and spice thing.

(T)- Dry, with that chalky coffee ground flavor. Does have some cocoa in there, but otherwise very dry and funky somehow.

(M)- A good carbonation level and a decent balance for whats in this, though that very dry funk taste/feel is a little weird and off-putting a bit.

(D)- Not bad, but i feel this definitely has some off flavors.

sweemzander, Oct 29, 2011

(A) Pours dark maroon, almost brown. Totally opaque. Has a very thin head on it.

(S) There is something different going on in the aroma, I still can't quite put my finger on what it is. Smells of coffee, but almost with a bit of chai in it. A bit like old coffee grounds and toasted grains. Some biscuit.

(T) The flavor has a lot of the java and coffee flavors in it. A decent blend of mocha, coffee, roasted malts, cereal, bread, and a bit of caramel.

(M) It's on the lighter side of full body. Ends really dry, almost chalky.

(O) It's good, but it's got a weird smell and flavor (amongst all of the notable and good flavors) that I can't figure out. Almost like a bit of funk in there. It's weird, but a pretty good brew.

cjacobsen, Oct 25, 2011
4.38/5  rDev +7.4%

Obtained in the Partners BIF...thanks Urban Chaos!

Split two ways with my partner, Stigs. Poured into a Piraat tulip. 3 fingers of fluffy foam formed (say that 3 times fast) quickly, almost spilling out of the glass. The head dissipated quickly into a thin layer on top of the dark, chestnut brown body. Very little lacing.

Wow...the nose on this is excellent! Tons of roasted malts, coffee beans and dark chocolate.

Very nice...the taste isn't quite as profound as the nose, but it holds up well. The bitterness of black coffee starts things off. The center turns to a milky sweetness that quickly fades into a smooth, roasted malt finish.

The mouthfeel is the weak link in this offering...light bodied, a tad watery with moderate carbonation. If this was a little heavier, it would be world-class!

This is a very solid beer. I am really glad I had the chance to try it...after all, it has been on my wants list for some time. Well worth the wait!

mgbickel, Oct 20, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +8.6%

Wish I could have this more often. I believe it is unpasteurized. So must be kept cold. Haven't seen it south of the Massachusetts border.

Taste like Chocolate Coffee Chocolate. A nice brownish head. Smells like Chocolate Coffee Chocolate. Enough said.

eonbluekarma, Oct 17, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -14.7%

Purchased at a store in White River Jct, VT.

A - Poured into a big chalice. This sucker's real dark - just short of black. I'll guess 25 SRM. Big head dissipated after a sip or two, but a thin head remains. Some lacing.

S - Notes of coffee, metal and dust. Strange, I know, but that's what I'm getting.

T - With a color this dark and an initial big head, my expectation was for a big chewy beer. That's my fault for creating expectation. Medium bodied with flavors of coffee and malt. I'm not getting the bitterness that other dark coffee beers can impart.

M - The body does have a good mouthfeel and the carbonation is fairly tight. The carbonation hangs around on the finish with the coffee.

O - Like Jim Carrey, I've had better, but I'm not going to complain about the money spent on this one. I don't know if I get the A- average that this beer seems to get from the rest of the community, but maybe we can chalk this up to a bottle that's slightly off. I also bought a bottle of their RIS and I'm looking forward to cracking that soon.

JohnHoyos, Oct 15, 2011
3.53/5  rDev -13.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Thanks to Alex I believe, for this bottle share.

A - Black beer with a tan head that consisted of some fairly nice looking, fine bubbles. Pretty imposing looking for something with this low ABV.

S - A lot of coffee. I originally reviewed this thinking it's a coffee stout, but apparently it's a higher ABV coffee porter than I was realizing. It's a coffee beer, so this is fitting. There is some chocolate and roast in there.

T - Pretty full taste for something with this low ABV, even if it is almost all coffee. It's not a bad thing as this has some solid flavor with good roast and a bit of cocoa.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation.

O - Not bad, decent flavor for a coffee porter. Got through it easily enough.

AgentZero, Sep 27, 2011
Coffeehouse Porter from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.