Lost Sailor India Pale Ale - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Lost Sailor India Pale AleLost Sailor India Pale Ale

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

English India Pale Ale (IPA) |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 07-03-2001

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lost Sailor India Pale Ale Alström Bros
Ratings: 646 | Reviews: 317
3.22/5  rDev -15.9%

Pours a hazy brass color with a thick creamy ecru head, lots of lace. Nice looking.

Scent is faint to the point where I really can't discern anything.

Taste is very malty. Sweet molasses. Earthy and lightly fruity. There's a touch of floral and fruity hops and a slight bitterness. Spicy and earthy. Very much in the English style.

Mouth is soft and creamy.

A solid representation of the English India Pale Ale.

3.38/5  rDev -11.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

7-02-2011

A: pours a hazy golden color with a thin head and remaining lace

S: basic IPA aroma, floral hops and slight citrus/pine

T: sweet for an IPA, though lingering bitterness on the finish

M: medium body and good carbonation

O: great beer, but could dial down on the sweetness

7-28-2011 re-review

A: pours a hazy amber with a thin white head and good retention and lingering lace

S: sweet and malty, fruit esters, slight hop on the finish

T: sweet up front, fruity middle followed by some hops, though very faint, and a sweet, crisp finish

M: medium body and high carbonation

O: good beer, different than I last remember, more hazy this time around and less bitterness qualities with a lot more sweetness involved

4.05/5  rDev +5.7%

22oz bomber poured into a tulip glass (pint glasses were dirty)

Pours a amber/golden color, rather cloudy, beautiful 1 finger off white head.

Smell isnt too strong, maltier more molasses-y smelling than a typical ipa, hints of orange.

Taste is well balanced, picking up hints of grapefruit, maple syrup, oak, some hop character is there but balanced out by the malts. Tastes almost like a hppy amber or pale ale really. I liked the mouthfeel as the its well carbonated and creamy yet quite light in body. Sessionable.

Not your typical IPA (more like a american pale ale) and west coasters will probably lament the lack of hops but I'm glad I tried it. Nothing miraculous.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Pours a very nice caramel-amber, with a thick and solid looking white head.

Smell contains a bit of toffee from the malt, and slightly bitter hops are noticeable as well. Slightly floral, with a hint of fruit, but seems more apple than citrus. Nice, but all somewhat subdued.

Taste is very balanced. The malts come out with a rich caramel flavour, coupled with some pine and mild bitterness from the hops. Finish is mildly bitter. Like the nose, I can also taste some apple.

Beer is moderately carbonated, and light to medium bodied. Not particularly notable in this regard.

Overall, a nice IPA. Glad to have been able to try it, and would certainly have it again if the opportunity presented itself. However, I wouldn't go out in search of it.

4.85/5  rDev +26.6%

This sh*t is the sh*t, for realsies, im super cereal. One of my favorite IPA's, gotta love the growler its comes in. Its like a party in my mouth. Better then the time I watched Kazamm. If someone beat me over the head with a beer bottle with lost sailor ipa in it I wouldnt mind as long as they poored some in my battered and bruised mouth.

3.46/5  rDev -9.7%

Thanks to HikerCT for the bottle. Served in a Hill Farmstead tulip.

Pours a hazy orange-copper with a single-finger white head and some spotty lacing as it goes down. The nose carries some light floral hops and some bread, though there's also a bit of solventy character. Slight, but noticeable. The flavor is along the same lines, though the solvent character is mostly gone, thankfully. The mouthfeel is the redeeming aspect, as there's a nice amount of dry bitterness after swallowing the medium-bodied brew. Light to moderate carbonation. Not a bad beer, though not something I'd seek out again.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

Poured from 22oz into pint glass.

Ivory head with great lacing throughout. Hazy gold with not much rising carbonation.

Definite hop pops out with floral slightly skunky aroma. Not much on the malt.

Pretty well balanced with a slight lingering bitterness on the tongue. There is a definite sweetness but is met well with the hops widway through.

Good carbonation immediately - not flat or zingy. On the medium-high and leaves slight coating on palette.

A good brew, not sure of ABV but evident through 22oz. A good session beer definitely or with food a win either way.

3.73/5  rDev -2.6%

From a bottle, pours peach orange with a nice head. Nose is some pine needle with a fair amount of ripe tropical fruits. For some reason cooked mango comes to mind. Mouth is prickly and bitter, becomes sweet with mango, coconut toward the end palate. A fine ale, a bit uneven in profile for my taste. I prefer their lagers from what I've had.

3.83/5  rDev 0%

Fine two finger head of dense foam, with moderate lace cling. Color is a 8 on the SRM beer color chart, with some haze. Smell is sharp, with scents of grapefruit, honey, and pear/pineapple. Taste is bold, grapefruit, lemon, honey, cloves, and malt. Mouthfeel is a little thin and not much fullness, there is some tingle from the carbonation. Overall a decent beer that I would buy again, it I see it on the shelf and I am not hunting for something particular.

3.63/5  rDev -5.2%

From notes. Pours a light orange amber slightly hazy. Has a nice fluffy head. Hoppy fruity smell.. Piney citrus sweet to the taste then closes with a bitter dry finish. I dont know if I was dehydrated or what but it finished very dry. Tasted hints of orange, pear, lemon. Has some spice to it. Medium light mouthfeel. Overall this is a good ipa. I'd get it again, but I'd choose others before it. Not a huge english ipa fan

3.44/5  rDev -10.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

a: This was a clear, golden amber color. It was served to me with a thick, frothy cap.

s: Mild overall; I found caramel with a touch of honey and some leafy, slightly citric hops.

t: On the sweet side for an IPA, but this wasn't bad. Sweet caramel, toffee, and honey give way to light grassy bitterness at the end.

m: Medium bodied and gently carbonated.

o: This wasn't bad overall. When I ordered this with dinner I didn't realize this was a smaller English IPA, so I guess I was expecting something different.

3.93/5  rDev +2.6%

Nice soft orange with a solid 2 finger head that sticks around. Nice carbonation as well.

Not a whole lot of smell, maybe a little orange, or faint citrus.

Very slight hoppy taste followed by a slight citrus flavor with a round finish, not sure how else to describe it. No one thing jumps out but the blend of everything is very nice.

Mouth feel on this is great, it feels full with medium to high carbonation.

Let me preference the overall with this is the last of this beer. Apparently the type of hops BBC was using is no longer available so once this batch is gone its gone for good. That being said this is a great beer, very well rounded with no one thing jumping out but the sum of it making an excellent beer. An easy beer that goes with anything, get it while you can.

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

A - pours a bit hazy dark orange with 1 finger of of-white fluffy head, dissipates slowly but surely.

S - Not a strong aroma, I get sweet malt and a hint of hops.

T - Wow! That flavor blew me away. I wasn't expecting much as I didn't get much of an aroma, I thought it would be on the lighter side of the IPAs, but I was way wrong. Wonderful hops flavors, starts with bitter hops, finishes with a combination of bitterness and floral flavors.

M - a crisp mouthfeel, somewhat light.

O - I like this beer very much, while the appearances, smell and mouthfeel I found to be about average, the flavor is there in full.

4.65/5  rDev +21.4%

Wow, it has been a while since someone poured me a draft I.P.A. that was this fresh. It is quite noticeable. Pours clear reddish color, white head, great retention that laces the glass. Smells of floral hops and sweetness. Tastes citrusy with a complimentary sweet malt flavor. Fruity yeast esters that I assumed were coming from an English yeast. Just a touch watery on the mouthfeel, at least for my taste. Really my only complaint about the beer. IPA is a competitive category of beer, that I am particularly picky with. I had two, it was highly drinkable for me. cheers

4.38/5  rDev +14.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Best by 5/10/11. Bomber poured into an imperial nonic.

Appearance - Lightly hazy copper body. Great big fluffy off-white head with excellent retention. Great lacing.

Smell - Nice nose of floral and spicy English hops that blend nicely with bready and sweet malt aromas. Really balanced nose.

Taste - Nice mixture of floral hops and bready malt greet the taste buds up front before transitioning into some juicy fruits. Mainly noticing fresh oranges. Finish is spicy hops with moderate bitterness. This is what I want out of an IPA. It has character, balance, and a refreshing hoppy finish. Excellent.

Mouthfeel - Medium-bodied. Smooth with creamy mouth-coating carbonation. Dry.

Drinkability - Really smooth drinking English IPA. Fruity, bready, and sweet malts are balanced by floral and spicy hops. Similar to the Traditional Pale in terms of drinkability and balance. A great and dependable beer. Plus, at a price of $3.49 for a bomber I will never hesitate!

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

The Lost Sailor buy Berkshire Brewing is one of a few very good IPA's brewed here locally in Massachusetts.

Taste - I enjoy the taste of the Lost Sailor very much. A very nice hoppiness but also very drinkable.

Hop character as I said I enjoy the hoppiness of this Lost Sailor, it makes it very easy to drink a couple of bottles or a growler in the course of an evening.

Because I am local to the brewery I am able to enjoy the Lost Sailor in both freshly poured growlers as well as 220z bottles. I do enjoy it in both delivery methods, as well as locally on draught.

3.23/5  rDev -15.7%

Sort of an orange color, mostly clear with a decent head and good lacing.

Smell is a bit earthy pungent with floral citrus and pine, with a touch of caramel malt.

Tastes a bit off really, the earthy pungency comes through stronger on the tongue than I expected, although there's still some of the usual IPA flavors, grapefruit, pine, citrus, and malts.

Feel was medium bodied with ample carbonation.

Drink was average, I'm not that anxious to have it again but it wasn't bad.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

thanks to mob2332 for this extra -

Poured from Pint bottle into my Duvel tulip, poured cloudy orange with golden hues, three finger head that dissipated into a thick lacing,left it's mark all the way down the glass,moderate carbonation.

Smell -I don't get the hops upfront in the smell just faint hints,malt was obvious as well as light citrus.

Taste - Nice hoppy start with light citrus notes the malt is blended in well and leaves a nice backing to the hops.

Drinkability - that bottle went rather quickly
very easy to drink Ipa that dosen't overload the senses with hops, well blended and balanced brew.

thanks again mob2332

3.88/5  rDev +1.3%

Review from notes 1/22/11.

A: Pours a hazy orange, chunky one finger head that sticks to the glass and leaves some nice lacing.

S: Very light. Some floral hops and a little bit of orange/orange rind. Also some sweet malts and a little bit of caramel.

T: Much maltier than the aroma. A little bit of hops, but it has a a very prevalent nutty flavor. A little bit of caramel as well.

M/D: Medium bodied and quite smooth. Very drinkable, a nice example of an English IPA. A great deal as well for the price.

3.98/5  rDev +3.9%

From a 22 ounce bottle.
Pours deep gold with a small haze. Had to work to get a head on the pour but a good amount sticks around.
I suppose since this is the English version of an IPA that the hoppiness would be toned down a bit. The smell proves this. There is a sweet pine smell that is definitely geared back as compared to most American IPAs.
The taste follows. There is a small piney bitterness which hits first then fades but then returns a few seconds after you swallow and sticks to the back of your tongue.
Feels a little on the watery side, but goes down real easy and the lingering aftertaste wont let you forget what you just drank.

3.36/5  rDev -12.3%

No date printed on the bottle. Poured from a bomber into a pint glass.

A - Nice rich murky dark golden beer , about 2.5 finger head going right now. You tell immediately it's unfiltered.

S - Smell is just ok. missing the hoppy bite that I like. Smells a little malty, a bit almondy too

T - tastes better than it smells. subtle hop flavor but not much. A little bready, hint of something sweet that I thought smelled of almonds but doesn't taste like it now. Might be apricot hints too.

M - pleasant feel, nice lingering finish, left feeling a little sour taste. Has a bit of that thick unfiltered feeling.

D - Like other unfiltered beers I wouldn't want more than one bomber. It is tasty and enjoyable, but does not leave me wanting more

Overall I like the name better than the beer. I probably would not buy a bottle again, but I would order it in a bar if seen on tap or cask.

3.56/5  rDev -7%

22oz bomber from a liquor store in downtown Providence, RI. The best-by date is smudged and largely unreadable, but I think it's sometime in February of 2011 (which is this month.)

Pours a nice, clear darker golden, some head, lots of bubbles. Looks pretty.

Smells like sweet malt, caramel, hints of citrus.

Taste is as above--strong caramel malt flavors, ending crisp and with a bit of hops, but not enough to really call this an IPA. I'm going to chalk it up to the fact that its at the end of the freshness window. Reasonably tasty, though, with nice malt flavors. Definitely an English IPA.

Mouthfeel is average and the carbonation seems perfect. This is a really easy one to drink, and the low ABV helps. I'd be curious to try this one fresher, but you can tell this was never intended to be a hop-bomb. Some great malt flavors a lot of IPAs are lacking, though.

3.97/5  rDev +3.7%

Pre-poured growler (i.e., they didn't pour it for me fresh from the keg) purchased at Plaza Package in Great Barrington, for a total of $7.99.

A: Hazy/cloudy dirty golden/amber with a good-sized ivory head. Some lace left behind.

S: Citrusy/floral hops over sweet malt. Hops aren't terribly strong, but it's a pleasant overall sensation.

T: Sweet malt - fruity, perhaps? - that finishes with a drying citrusy hop bitterness.

M: Somewhat creamy in feel, call it medium in heft.

D: Good. Enjoyable, especially at these prices.

4.25/5  rDev +11%

22 oz bottle, Best by: 6/21/11

Pours an amber sunset orange with a tight 1 finger head that laces very well.

Whiffs of floral and herbal hops with a big well-rounded bready malt profile.

Taste is extremely well balanced. Big hop presence being herbal and citric, nice grainy biscuit malt profile that makes this IPA a very good session beer.

Medium bodied with a well rounded carbonation. semi-dry finish.

Extremely good drinkability, i could easily session a growler and be well happy.

Great job BBC! I enjoy when i brewery takes the time to create a well balanced easy drinking, yet very flavorful IPA. Most brewery's are more focused on who can shove the most hops down your gullet as apposed to creating something distinct and original.

4.3/5  rDev +12.3%

My wife's grandfather served as a radio man in the Navy in World War II in both the Atlantic (escorting convoys, searching out wolf packs) and the Pacific (aboard an aircraft carrier). When I think of old sailors, I think of him. And I do think this beer is worthy of the name. Let's pour.

Appearance: Poured out of a freshly-opened growler obtained in Connecticut into a standard pint glass. A light orange, copper color and a full-bodied, off-white head that feels and tastes almost creamy. Yum. This is a head that is not "in the way" of the malted beverage goodness beneath.

Smell: Floral and citrus notes. A hint of vanilla, perhaps.

Taste: Delicious. malty sweetness up front and balanced with hops just right on the back end -- maybe a little hint of orange peel. You know the hops are there and they're welcome, but it's not too bitter or over the top by any stretch.

Mouthfeel: Smooth but not creamy up front, and a moderate amount of carbonation on the back end. As it warms the carbonation is a little less so.

Overall verdict: My very favorite IPA. The hops are not off the hook, as tends to be the trend these days; it tastes great and is very drinkable, session-wise. Highly reccomended.

Lost Sailor India Pale Ale from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.