Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale - Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.

Steel Rail Extra Pale AleSteel Rail Extra Pale Ale

Berkshire Brewing Company Inc. visit their website
Massachusetts, United States

American Pale Ale (APA) |  5.30% ABV

Beer added by: UnionMade on 08-22-1996

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale Alström Bros
2.13/5  rDev -40.5%

A - pours a crisp clear yellow with a thin head that dissipates quickly.

S - smells like a light beer. can't pick out a single aroma, maybe a bit of skunk.

T - very low flavor profile, not much at all. tastes a bit skunky and very much like a heineken.

M - feels like a light beer, bubbly on the tongue, crisp, not too dry.

O - pretty much I thought this was very similar to a macro. didn't do too much for me.

2.47/5  rDev -31%

The guy at the Meat House hooked me up with this bottle. He said it was past due soon so he needed someone to drink it. Done! Best by date is today! Poured into a pint glass and shared with my housemate. This one pours a hazy straw color with just a thin white head that settles quickly.

Weak bitter hops on this one. A little bit of citrus in the background but nothing special. Ugh, again, just weak bitter hops with a little bit of candied oranges. This just seems to be lacking a bit.

The feel is very light on this but the carbonation is rugged. Seems very coarse. Overall, nothing spectacular here. I know this one isn't as fresh as it could be. If I get the chance to try a fresher one I'll rereview but in all fairness, this is within the freshness relm. This one just didn't do it for me.

2.76/5  rDev -22.9%

Poured a 3" head which dissipated pretty quickly. Hazy lemonade yellow color. Almost no smell at all, even after warming, and then just a hint of malt. Taste is mild and pretty much an average BMC. Pretty boring. This steel rail certainly isn't the infamous third rail with a jillion volts, it's more like a kiddy ride at a park.

2.79/5  rDev -22.1%

Poured chilled on draft at Sacco's candlepin bowling

A: very thin head, no lacing
S: light, lemony, fruity
T: lemony, more like a summer lager than a pale ale; not very hoppy; alcohol nicely balanced against flavor
M: flat

Didn't finish it, but glad I tried it

2.8/5  rDev -21.8%

This is the third Berkshire Brewing beer that I've had this week, and so far it's probably the best.

Pouring from the 20oz bottle, very little head appears. What does is thin, white and bubbly. The color is gold on the amber side and from the first 3/4 of the bottle, there's no haze to be seen.

The smell is deceiving as it made me think I was in for some serious fruity hoppiness. Not so much, actually.

What I thought might be a nice full hop flavor was actually fairly reserved, although a lingering fruitiness and a crisp character made me wish it was sunny and hot outside as opposed to icy and cold.

While I might buy other beer at the store, I certainly wouldn't turn this down if someone offered it on a hot summer day.

2.85/5  rDev -20.4%

Picked up a bomber at Julio's Liqours in Westborough, MA.

A: Deep gold with a slight off white head. Almost clear.

S: Malty almost pilsner lager like smell. Slight sulfer aromas. Hop aroma is unpronounced.

T: Not bitter or particularly hoppy. Strong malt character for a pale ale. Hop flavor is very weak and what is present is citrusy in character. Not very impressive.

MF: Medium light body. Not filling. Moderate carbonation.

D: An unbalanced, oddly tasting APA. Not an impressive offering from one of the best breweries in New England.

2.89/5  rDev -19.3%

This was a very interesting beer, I had to check reviews online because it almost tasted skunk. But apparently it was normal.

S- 22oz Bottle

A-Clear, light pale beer

S-Nothing like I've ever smelled before, kind of like an american wheat beer but doesn't describe the taste.

T- Mostly wheat taste, a little like Harpoon's UFO, but with a little bite.

M- A little bit dry but very refreshing. Something I could drink all night without regretting it in the morning.

O-A very drinkable beer but it took some time to get used to. I would like to try more from this brewery. Very different than a normal pale ale.

2.89/5  rDev -19.3%

drank on 11.20.08 from a 22oz bottle into goblet beer glass.

nice brownish gold color. great head, very thick and foamy accompanied by impressive lacing. the head stuck around a good bit. the smell was hugely disappointing. not really much there. mildly sweet malty smell with some citrus undertones (which I may be forcing myself to smell).

taste is just weird. not sure how to describe it. very malty backbone - some hops - but seems to all clash giving it a nasty not that pleasant mouthfeel. not a huge fan.

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

The second of the Berkshire's beers I've tried and I must say I liked the other more (Berkshire Ale). I'm having a little trouble viewing this as a true Pale Ale. Pours a golden color with a thin white head. Taste is sweet, with a corn-like flavor in there with very subtle hops. Not very hoppy at all. Reminds me more of a Lager than a Pale Ale. Still it's a pretty refreshing beer and I'd say average overall.

2.95/5  rDev -17.6%

Prepackaged growler from State Liquors in Worcester Massachusetts.

A white foamy head that starts fading a little fast. Golden body with a decent amount of bubbles.

Big time malt, grain and buscuity smell with some floral aromas.

A little bland for my taste. The aroma is actually better than the taste. I get mostly grain, buscuits and a floral taste with a noticeable amount of yeast. Not a fan of this at all.

Light body, carbonation is on the light side. It's quite smooth and easy to drink once you can get passed the mediocre taste.

I won't be seeking this out again. One of the most bland tasting Pale Ales I ever tasted. I would stay away from this beer.

22oz bomber

Poured a bright gold with a white quickly disipating head.

Aromatically, it was light and bready, slightest bit of sweetness.

The flavors reinforced the bread aromas but didn't provide any of the malt I'd hoped the sweetness indicated. Fairly crisp without much lingering flavors.

Very light mouthfeel, not unpleasant or watery, just very light.

Ultimately it didnt' do much for me, and at least this offering is a one-and-done for me, but its worth a go on a lighter-beer night.

2.96/5  rDev -17.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 1 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Poured from a growler into a pint glass. Body was a golden maize, with a big white head. Retention was great, and there was some nice lacing as well. Nose was non-existent for me.

The taste is weird to say the least. Nutty and bready in a way that I'd think I'd hate it, but I enjoyed this to varying degrees. Also went down quite smooth.

An alright beer - wouldn't recommend going out of your way to have it though.

2.96/5  rDev -17.3%

Easy to get in my area, looked good in the glass. Did not enjoy this as much as in days past, but back then, this was one of a few as opposed to one of many

i guess i don't reall like "american pale ales"--not near enough hops.

but this is better than, say, the new bud "craft" ale. but sadly, not by much.

not much flavor and a thin mouthfeel.

i suppose you could drink a lot of it on a hot summer day.

i wouldn't buy it again. but it was a relative bargain at 3.99 for a bomber.

Pours a pale golden color with a one finger head. Aroma is rich and malty on the nose. Taste is more malty with some fruitiness and a nice, dry aftertaste where the malt shows through quite well. Somewhat sweet at first. The malt shows through more than the hops here. It's an interesting take on the style that I feel doesn't match up that well. There was no date code as well. Not bad but not impressive either.

Not a bad beer, but average in my opinion.

Nothing jumped out at me, and it also was not my personal taste. I like a stronger pale ale, it was lacking flavor, hoppiness to me was not there, and there was not alot of extra flavor to compensate for the lack of hops.

It's smooth, goes down easy, but is lacking in the taste department in my opinion. Could use a little more complexity to spice things up.

I hate to be all negative about a beer, but I think it was a plain for a micro-brew. There are some good flavors there, but it is hard to pick up on them to me. Maybe if they just made it stronger it would be awesome.

Maybe I had a bad bottle, and I will give it a second chance if I ever see it on tap.

Hazy golden orange, topped by three fingers of dense white foam.

Mild lemon citrus aroma.

Sweetish beginning. Fruity middle. Mild bitterness. Clean finish.

Smooth light mouthfeel.

Easy drinking pale, inoffensive but uninteresting. Not one to search for, not one to turn down.

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Pours a cloudy golden yellowish color with a moderate white head. Head leaves some decent lacing on the glass as it is drunk. Smells somewhat citrus, even a little floral. Tastes just a little on the bitter side, hops are apparant. Starts smooth but with the carbonation it finishes slightly abrasive. Easy to drink since the bitterness isn't overwhelming. A rather bland beer.

3.03/5  rDev -15.4%

Light yellow and clear it starts with a good head that lasts and leaves some lace. This is a mild medium bodied pale with a light mix of malt and hops - actually I expected a little more beef. Much less hop bitterness compared to Berkshire's IPA. The ABV is 5.3%

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

Poured from a 22oz bottle to a pint glass. Slightly hazy golden/amber, with no head or much lacing. The nose wasn't that pronounced, with only a subtle hint of biscuit and brown sugar and no hops. The taste was the same; really not much flavor at all, and the little that existed was very imbalanced. The feel was ever so slightly carbonated. I wouldn't session this beer due to lack of flavor.

3.05/5  rDev -14.8%

Best by 10/29/08 printed on the side.

Pours a very pale yellow, quite hazy with a fizzy two fingers of white head. Head recedes to a thin lace and leaves a little bit of stick.

Smells of grain and a little skunky at first, which is surprising because it's such a fresh bottle. Skunky aroma goes away after a bit and there is more of a bready, doughy like smell. There is a bit of fruit and some grassy hops, too.

Taste starts off with some lemon citrus flavor, some grassy hops too and then a very doughy malt quality. Grainy flavor comes in midway through and there is some hop bitterness, as well. I think there must be some wheat in here, too.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and smooth, with a light creaminess.

I really didn't care all that much for this. It seems like more of an APWA than an APA, but either way it's not something I'd have again. Much too grainy for my liking in a Pale Ale.

3.06/5  rDev -14.5%

22oz bomber.

Pours straw gold with the slightest hint of haze. Creamy white head - 2 fingers. Glass is decorated with lace.

Scent is light biscuity and fresh bread. Very mild floral and citrus notes.

Taste is sweet malty fresh bread with a light citrus. Very slight hop bittering in the finish and other than a slight citrus (lemon) note hops are pretty weak here.

Mouth is light clean and crisp.

Drinkability is excellent

A tasty fresh beer from a brewery I enjoy but this is a pretty lightweight American Pale in my opinion. Compare with something like Smuttynose's Shoals Pale which has both a thicker malt base and a stronger grapefruity hop flavor.

3.06/5  rDev -14.5%

22 oz bomber

Apperance: Lightly cloudy golden haze. Crystal white head, with tiny tiny bubbles. I'll let you know about the lacing in a sec...nice. Right along the glass for most of the drink. Head retention is pretty good; about half the bottle.

Nose: Peaches and other mildly astringent fruits. Raw dough in the middle. Then it just dissapears.

Taste: Peachy at first. Nice peach flavor. Crisp in the middle to the end from the bubbles and a bit of hops. Frothy aftertaste. The bitter taste and the peaches makes a nice combination.

Notes: Not a very complex brew, but satisfying. it would be a good one to recommend to rookies.

p.s. oh yeah, I got some pear and a little bit of apples in the taste and nose after I had more of this one.

3.07/5  rDev -14.2%

22oz bottle acquired in a trade (forgot to write down who though).

Poured a medium golden color with a large sized white head. Aromas of citrus (lemony), grains, and light caramel. Tastes of citrus, caramel, and a little floral. Softer body and tastes.

Notes from 12/24/07

3.09/5  rDev -13.7%

This is my first offering from this brewery. I bought four different styles pretty much because they were only $2.99 a bomber.

Appearance: Pours a bright gold color, slightly hazy, with a thin sticky lace. It has those dollops that I love to see in the lace.

Smell: There is a definate grainy malt aroma to this beer. It seems to be like freshly picked corn on the cob, very husky. Different and somewhat peculiar as I really haven't found this malt aroma so pronounced in other pale ales. Floral hops are also present but take a back seat.

Taste: Very husky, grains and maize, a slight floral hop presence throughout. Pretty much follows the aroma. Not much body, light and thin. Lacking in any real flavor. A pale ale for malt lovers.

Overall: An average beer at best. I guess it would be considered an english pale ale. You will find better ones out there.

Steel Rail Extra Pale Ale from Berkshire Brewing Company Inc.