Bink Bloesem (Bloesembink) - Brouwerij Kerkom

Bink Bloesem (Bloesembink)Bink Bloesem (Bloesembink)

good

Brouwerij Kerkom visit their website

Fruit / Vegetable Beer |  7.10% ABV

Availability: Summer

(Beer added by: feloniousmonk on 12-24-2003)
Reviews by MarcGetty:
4.88/5  rDev +33%

After having a few other golden ales from a local Belgian bar I asked the bartender for something new, Bink Bloesem is what I received.

I found Bink to taste like a moderately strong golden ale not unlike La Chouffe, Fin, and Delerium. The taste was very smooth with more then it's fair share of bubbles. It went down smooth with little to no aftertaste.

If only I could find a case of Bink Bloesem locally I would be a happy man.

MarcGetty, Jan 16, 2006
4.22/5  rDev +15%

Appearance – This one poured a dark, dirty brown in color with a good head that pitted well on top of the liquid.

Smell – The aroma here starts off with some very dark yeast, much like a good BSDA, then opens up with a wide variety of fruity notes. There’s a lot to be had here, but the dark fruits stood out for me. I particularly enjoyed the juicy dates and plums.

Taste – The nice, dark yeast came along at the taste. The big dates and prunes seemed dipped in a light chocolate sauce. I liked the fact that the beer lacked any significant spicing. This allowed me to concentrate on the fruity profile.

Mouthfeel – This one is medium-bodied with some light, good carbonation. The intense fruity sweetness on the palate was a treat.

Drinkability – This was very similar to a Belgian Strong Dark Ale. It was heavy on the yeast and very drinkable, more so at room temperature.

RoyalT, Oct 19, 2004
3.35/5  rDev -8.7%

This one was advertised at Monk's as a beer that tastes of "pears and honey." Well damned if I could find strong traces of either. Instead, it tasted like an average dark Belgian beer, with more raisin than crisp pear. It had a dark brown color with light lacing around the glass after the pour. The mouthfeel was a bit muddy. I tried hard to picture individual flavors on my tongue, but it took every once of concentration to find one standout impression. This rather soured the drinkability, as it failed to distinguish itself from other malty Belgians. It's not a bad beer, but not a particularily interesting one, either.

StoutHearted, Jun 04, 2007
3.75/5  rDev +2.2%

The color is like a slightly lighter, slightly redder cola color-- it even has the bubbles coming up! And the head is thin, white, and rapidly diminishing. Or I suppose you could also call it a dark honey color. Really, mix the mental images you get together, and that's probably it.

The first scent I pick up is a sour fruit mix of the pear and sour cherry, followed closely by some cloying sweet honey. There's a touch of an actual malt scent, but it isn't strong.

Flavor is crisp and weird and wow. The initial flavor has a lot of pear, green apple, and apple cider to it. The aftertaste is definitely of a crisp, tart yellow pear. I feel like I can almost taste the skin of the pear in my mouth. As much as it smells like honey, I'm not getting it in the taste at all, (except as a long, LONG aftertaste. Like, I stopped drinking to do something else and it showed up) and the ruddy "amber" flavor of a typical Belgian is lacking. It's definitely tasty though, but it's also definitely girly.

The mouthfeel is neither awesome nor amazing. it coats a bit more than a standard beer, and it's low on carbonation which I personally enjoy, but it's neither rich and creamy not light and crisp. It feels like slightly carbonated water. Pretty lame mouthfeel, but not nasty, and not too dry.

Perkyanda, Mar 25, 2010

jalexy, Aug 22, 2013
3.7/5  rDev +0.8%

I ordered this bottle along with several other Belgian's about a year or so ago from Belgian Shop. The beer poured a medium dark brown color with a nice thick whitish head with solid lacing down the side. The aroma is a bit sweet, caramel and honey, malty. The taste is sweet an tangy, nice carbonation and some good caramel and malt tones. There is a medium body to this beer making it pretty drinkable in my estimation and the 7.1% abv is disquised well in here.

ggaughan, Mar 16, 2006

Dawkins, Nov 12, 2013

mattfancett, Aug 26, 2014
4.15/5  rDev +13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4

Poured from a 330mL bottle into my Troubadour tulip.

Aged at room temperature for at least a year.

Dark murky body glows like a ruby lampshade when held to the light. A lasting velvety finger of beige merengue rests up top, fed by a steady stream of slow rising micro-bubbles. Thick pasty lacing; good retention.

Unctuous yet subtle aroma that is at once floral and fruity, the esters from yeast forming a lovely intertwining counterpoint to the pear juice. Bread dough and berries add a pleasing base and added complexity respectively.

Sweet malty palate entry with an amplification of the winter fruit and berry elements in the nose. Very subtle spiciness comes forward as the ale warms suggesting a touch of pepper from the yeast. Finishes medium-dry and refreshing. Honey is present but extremely mild and there is almost a hint of chocolate in the aftertaste.

Creamy, soft, medium-full body with decent effervescence.

Delicate and sophisticated yet rustic - a well crafted character-filled Belgian ale that isn't overwhelmed by the fruit or honey.

augustgarage, Feb 01, 2013
3.3/5  rDev -10.1%

Pours a tan/copper color topped by a half-inch or so of creamy off-white head. Aroma of sweet, dark Belgian malt, candy sugar, tart cherries, and some clover honey. Palate is at first dominated by a Flemish sour character, with only a touch of the honey coming through. Becomes sweeter as it warms up, with some caramel notes emering from the malt, along with some pear and other light fruit. Mouthfeel is substantial and nicely carbonated. Not exactly an easy sipping beer, and a bit challenging for frequent drinking. Still, a nice change of pace.

ElGordo, Aug 05, 2006

bconsidine, May 11, 2014
2.73/5  rDev -25.6%

Clear, sparklingly red, coppery-gold in hue, the liquid was absolutely stunning... then I added the yeast. Ooops, I just made it ugly. Clunky yeast particles slowly fell to the bottom of my glass. There was a little more then two fingers of foam, the bubbles quickly faded to a soapy cap. The head retention wasn’t very impressive. There was no subsequent lacing of note. Overall, the appearance is enjoyable.

The nose is richer and not as “summery” and as “sissy” as I feared. Malty upfront, a medley of fruit and flowers emerges with apples, pears, something tropical, and a smattering of dark fruits at the finish. I also get hints of honey and grain at the finish. Moderate potency; chatty… I like what I smell but I wish it wasn’t so muddled. Based on the nose I do expect this to be a tasty beer.

Uhmmm… what? I was NOT expecting this beer to taste like this. Sharp, harsh, almost biting upfront and then this very odd dying veggie/sweetness thing emerges. Fruit follows (apples and pears) along with cloves, cinnamon, and mud? There is some sort of jumbled mess of flavors I can’t figure out. I know I don’t like it. Overall, the flavor profile is fair with a couple flaws but it is somewhat tolerable. Okay, maybe not… as it warms the more I dislike what I taste.

Medium-light in body, low carbonation, the mouthfeel leaves me wanting more. I think the carbonation needs to be livelier and fuller in body.

This is not a beer I need to drink again. Yawn. Yuck. The more I sip it, the less I like it. I don’t think I want to finish my glass. Yep, it is time to move on. Nevertheless, thank you danlwaggoner for the bottle.

bditty187, Sep 07, 2006
3.78/5  rDev +3%

11.2 oz brown bottle notched best-before June 2006.

Poured somewhat cloudy light brown with plenty of carbonation, small head, good lacing. Smells of honey and toasted caramel malts over a sour flemish brown base. Gentle flavor profile; sweet grains at the start give way to a chewy toasted carmel and marshmallow-like malt center. Finishes medium dry with touch of sourness and light spicy medicinal alcohol. Tastes pleasant enough, though the flavor doesn't live up to the promise of the aroma. Medium body with strong carbonation and balancing creaminess.

dgallina, Jun 18, 2006
4.28/5  rDev +16.6%

Quite a mouthfull, similar but more complex than Carolus Emperor's Grand Cru. You can feel little packets of sugar knocking about in your mouth when you sip it. I said tastes like that "Winter King" beer before I knew what it was. Pretty cool to have such a distinctive mouthfeel/flavor profile. A slow drink that reveals itself as it warms up on the table then in your mouth. You can actually taste some honey residue and the pears through dark malt, sugar, and alcohol. This should not really be classified as a Belg Pale.

schemb, Dec 02, 2004

GRG1313, Oct 14, 2014
4.05/5  rDev +10.4%

Bottle at the Bink Cafe in St. Truiden, home of the Brouwerij Kerkom. Looks like a pretty standard bruin beer, with a huge cream/white head that lasts for a time. The smell is the best part of this beer. Incredible. The first thing one notices is the pear. It's not overpowering, just there, plain as day. Malt and other bready notes with it. Not sweet, just fruity. The pear/fruitiness is also present in the taste, but less than one would think after having a whiff. Again, presence of malt, this time mixed with spice, all the time with a hint of pear in the background. A bit sweeter here, but not cloying. Mouthfeel is decent. Very drinkable. This would be a great session beer if it weren't for the fact that it is 7.1%. Well, still a good session beer, but I wouldn't recommend taking the car afterwards.

I was scared that Kerkom would have ruined a beer by adding pear syrup, but it turned out to be fantastic.

philipquarles, Jul 11, 2008
3.5/5  rDev -4.6%

Served on-tap at Max's. A belgian ale with pears and honey. Sounds interesting.

A: The ale is a darker, auburn brown color that is just dark enough to be translucent. Not much head to speak of, and no lacing to boot.

S: The aroma is dominated by candi sugars and pear. Both are very sweet and sugary. Honey? Just a bit, with a syrupy thickness.

T: The ale has a caramel body, malty, that stands out immediately. Candi sugars and pear, possibly the same flavor, come through shortly after the caramel. The sweetness isn't syrupy, rather it is lighter. The pear presence, interesting as it is, completely dominates the honey, leaving little beyond heft from the honey.

M: The ale seems like a run of the mill Belgian until the pears pop up. They add an unusual sweetness that goes far beyond normal candi sugars.

D: While it didn't taste like 7+%, the concentration of sweetness (sugars and pears) limits the drinkability a bit.

akorsak, Feb 14, 2010
3.25/5  rDev -11.4%

Magery, Jul 27, 2014

TimRex, Feb 28, 2013
3.23/5  rDev -12%

11.2 oz bottle purchased at LaBodega in Riverside, CA, August 2006 for ___? The label sez anno 1878, Belgian Ale brewed with Pear Syrup and Honey.

Pours much darker than I expected (when it says blonde on the label), a reddish amber with a medium to small tan head. The head drops very quickly.

Aroma is slightly sweet and fruity, but there's not a lot to it. Can't pick out specifically what fruits, certainly not pears or honey.

Flavor- surprisingly sharp, tart and sour- to the point of making my tongue tingle. Yeasty and an ill-defined hop sharpness. My wife said she tasted the pears- after I really concentrated, I guess I tasted it way in the background.

It's an OK beer, not bad, but not wow.

Dukeofearl, Aug 26, 2006
4.7/5  rDev +28.1%

It's hard to believe I would come anywhere near a fruit beer with a pink label be it Belgian or otherwise, but I'm so glad I did during my recent visit to Spuyten Duyvil in Brooklyn.

This Bink Bloesem was served in a short bottle in proper glassware expertly poured by the barkeep. The appearance was brown like a dubbel but clean with only hints of yeast and a thin head that quickly subsided.

The aroma was very sweet with pear fruit, cherries and honey and with a suprising bouquet of hops. Candied sugar in the background made for an interesting combination.

The taste again reflected the nose - sweet cherries, and honey bathed the tongue with a nice hop bite and alcohol in the finish.

Very drinkable and suprisingly, something I'd seek out again.

jim102864, Aug 14, 2007

DrBier, Jul 24, 2014

SineWaveFL, Sep 11, 2012
3.93/5  rDev +7.1%

Bottle with 6-8 months in the celler. Very pretty amber hue and good clarity with a ring of foam that laces lightly down the glass. Obvious nose of pears and honey and a little saccharine. Sweet honey and pear are balanced by an almost too bitter, dry finish that is both welcome and unwelcome all at once. A hint of citrus prevails over the whole affair. Nice over all and easy to drink, this is a welcome beer on a summer day.

baconsausage, Jun 26, 2011