Bink Winterkoninkske - Brouwerij Kerkom

Bink WinterkoninkskeBink Winterkoninkske

Brouwerij Kerkom visit their website

Belgian Strong Dark Ale |  8.30% ABV

Beer added by: stcules on 12-28-2002

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Bink Winterkoninkske Alström Bros
firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last

Notes from the 2002 Kerstbierfestival, Essen, Belgium.

This beer was originally under the names Begijn, Beguine and Pagadder.

Dark amber with red tings. Lackluster foam head / lace. Soft aromas of malt and herbal. Phenolic, light spices, a bit sweet (like tea) and yeast in the finish. Notes of medicinal in the back.

Pretty average. Nothing standouts to makes it unique or interesting.

3.14/5  rDev -19.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

When I say this on the Steelgaarden menu at Bethlehem Brew Works I knew I had to try it. What a cool name: Kerkom Winterkoninkske. It just rolls off your tongue.

Poured dark brown with ruby highlights when held up the candle on our table. Head was tight and tan, but quickly faded away. The beer came to me right out of the fridge like all of their beers (unfortunately) do so I knew it needed some time to warm up. It REALLY benefited from warmth. Before I let the temperature rise a bit I leaned over to get a sniff of this very temping looking brew. What a funk! It smelled like a day old ashtray filled with cigar ashes. It tasted awkwardly herbal and spiced. After warming, fruity and toasted malt came out to play with the anise, white pepper, and some other earthy, nondescript flavors I couldn’t quite pin down. The hops provided just enough zing to couple with the prickly carbonation to keep the beer from being to flabby and weird.

I’m really glad I tried it, but I must give this one another go. Maybe I’ll buy an unopened bottle and bring it home so I can really pick it apart on my own time.

2.88/5  rDev -26%

Dark colour, head thin with a poor persistence.
The smell is herbaceous and floral, with a sharp note of sage.
It's a very particular beer.
In the taste the note of sage is more sharp than in the smell, maybe a little too exagerated. The body is quite moderated.
In the aftertaste you can feel a little of pepper.
It's a little unbalanced.
Anyway, it is an interesting beer. Must retry it...

firstprev| 76-100 | 101-125 | 126-150  | next → last