Microbrew Invitational

YOUR RATING = None |
Awaiting 10 Reviews

Wenonah Brewing Company
Minnesota, United States | website

Style: English India Pale Ale (IPA)

Alcohol by volume (ABV): not listed

Added by Phocion on 01-21-2014

Reviews: 1 | Ratings: 1
Reviews by Phocion:
3.76/5  rDev n/a
look: 3.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Growler purchased three days ago (I'm unsure if it was filled when I ordered it or before-hand; stored in dark cellar-temp basement until this evening.) Poured into a shaker pint. Hazy copper with a modest and mildly retentive bubbly head. Decent lacing. Very hazy.

Aroma has just the slightest whiff of skunkiness -- an unfortunate side effect of the clear growler (as there was none in the pint I had at the brewery). Thankfully it's barely noticeable. Light graininess and a touch of caramel, but a very interesting hops bouquet. Although this is clearly leaning towards an English-style IPA, there's a definite combination of both British and American hops. The earthiness of the Fuggles is very apparent (as was verified by one of the brewers), but there is a bit of some sort of Northwestern piney aromas as well.

Flavor is actually extremely well-balanced. Grainy and slightly sweet, with a nice earthy and spicy hoppiness. Ever-so-slightly bitter finish.

The mouthfeel is the only real complaint I have with this beer. Carbonation could be turned up a notch and it has a fairly thick and chewy mouthfeel for an IPA. Still drinkable, but could be improved.

Overall, this is a pretty solid English-style IPA. It's not perfect, but I will likely drink more as it's easy-drinking and, frankly, this is a brand-new nanobrewery within walking distance of my home. My first visit to this place right after opening was sorely disappointing; this was only a little over a month ago and they have already improved considerably. This is either their first batch or one of the first, so I'm sure this recipe will be tweaked somewhat in the future and I'm very interested to see what they do with it.

Steel -N- Wood IPA from Wenonah Brewing Company
- out of 100 based on 1 ratings.