Das Schwarze - Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG

Germany

Schwarzbier |  4.90% ABV

Beer added by: stoutman on 10-25-2003

3.79/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

3.38/5  rDev -9.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

4.04/5  rDev +8%

3.57/5  rDev -4.5%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

I picked up a bottle of Dinkelacker's Das Schwarze last week for $3.99 at The Lager Mill. I'm in the mood for a Schwarzbier tonight and I thought I would give this one a try, so lets see how it goes. 2014 Vintage. Poured from a brown 500ml brown flip top bottle into a imperial pint glass.

A- The label looks ok. it has a simple design to it and it isn't too eye catching. It poured a brown and mahogany color that takes on more of ruby and crimson color when held to the light with a little over two fingers worth of creamy slightly lighter tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some patchy lacing behind. This is a pretty nice looking Schwarzbier, I have no complaints.

S- The aroma starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast being the first to show up and it imparts a fruity and slightly estery aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart a sweet malt, caramel malt, caramel, slightly roasted, slight chocolate and light toffee like aromas with just a slight nutty aroma showing up in the background. This beer had a nice aroma, but i wish the roasted aspects showed up more.

T- The taste seems to be very similar to the aroma and it starts off with a higher amount of medium sweetness with the yeast still being the first the to show up and it imparts the same aspects that it did in the aroma. Up next comes the malts which impart the same aspects from the aroma with the caramel and toffee aspects still sticking out the most and there's no nutty aspect this time. On the finish there's no bitterness with a little bit of sweetness taking it's place and it had a toffee and caramel malt like aftertaste. This was a nice tasting Schwarzbier, but I wish more of those roasted aspects came through.

S- Smooth, fairly creamy, a little crisp, a little sweet, medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation. This beer had a good mouthfeel that worked well with it.

Overall I thought this was a nice beer and I thought it was a nice example of a Schwarzbier, it had pretty much all the aspects that I look for in the style, but when it came down it I found myself wishing that the roasted aspects weren't so covered up by the other aspects, but I thought the rest of this beer was pretty well done. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, fairly creamy, a little crisp, not too filling and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention so one bottle is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another one in a row. What I like the most about this beer was the mouthfeel and appearance, they were both good and they were the highlights of this beer. What I like the least about this beer was the roasted malt aspects were very restrained and I wish they showed up more. I don't think I would buy this again, but I wouldn't turn one down and I can't say I would recommend it as a great example of a Schwarzbier, but if you really like the style then it's worth trying. All in all I liked this beer but I didn't love it, it was solid, but it still needed some work. It's not my favorite beer from this brewery and i would say it's just little above average for the style. I think it's solid, but with a little more work it could be very nice, better luck next time guys.

4.09/5  rDev +9.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

A lot lighter than it looks. Some chocolate sweetness that is nicely countered by dry a dryer finish. Very drinkable.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

3.89/5  rDev +4%

Poured into a dimpled mug.

Look: A black body with brown hues when held to the light. A nice cream colored head that retains a nice semi-thick film. Light lacing.

Aroma: Toasted bread, nuttiness, chocolate, toffee.

Taste: Very sweet to start with toffee really coming through. Toasted grains, sweet malts.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, very drinkable.

Overall: Really sweet, toasted. Great flavors.

4.25/5  rDev +13.6%

Poured from a 16.9 ounce Euro-brown bottle with one of those permanent closures that makes this desirable for home brew since it saves on caps. There's a lot number on the label but no freshness date.

A moderate pour produces a billowing 2 inch head that overflows the glass. This settles quickly but remains sticky across the top. The beer is a very dark reddish-brown when pierced with a mini maglight and appears almost black in normal light.

I get that unique, what I call a "minerally" aroma-flavor that I attribute to the brewing water. This flavor is very common in good German and lagers and some English beers as well, but is almost absent in American beers. It has a sort of metallic essence and I like it very much. The flavors are otherwise very malty, with notes of chocolate, dark fruit and black licorice. I'm NOT getting the charred flavors that I've experienced before with American examples of the style. There's some toasted bitterness there, but it's light, and just enough to balance the sweet malt flavors without overpowering them. The beer is light in body but with a creamy, full mouthfeel. The aftertaste lingers with various complexities suggesting oak and cherry.

I give this beer excellent marks, not only for it's complexity and drinkability but also its price- only 3-something for the bottle, which will be refilled many times with homebrew. Purchased at Hennessey Grocery in Butte, Montana.

3.8/5  rDev +1.6%

3.34/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

Dark black in color and barely penetrable to light. Light Brussels lacing. A fingernail of khaki head covers less than a third of the top of the beer. I smell plenty of dark and sweet mat. There's a hint of smoke in the aroma. The taste is comprised of sweet,dark malt. The mouth is slightly sticky for a lager,but it is due to all of that dark,sweet malt.

3.76/5  rDev +0.5%

3.55/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Love the swing top bottles, and the cheap prices for great German beer! I've had a cold for a few days so haven't been able to even drink, let alone review, so this should be a nice welcome back to beer. I think a date but hard to read, 01813 14... something in 2014 maybe?

A one handed pour without tipping the glass yields a huge 2+ finger frothy creamy tan colored head that fades at a med pace with nice sticky lacing, big bubbles popping, and eventually settles to a nice 1/2 finger thick head that never goes away. The beer itself is pretty much pitch black, no light really getting through, and even has thick creamy legs on the sides of the glass.

Nose reminds me a lot of the dark Czech beers I had when over there... lots of husky grainy malts, tons of wheat, like wet hay, straw, middle of a hay stack in a barn kinda malt, cereal grains little doughy and bready, with touch of metallic and mineral lager notes, mild soft complex decoction like notes. Alsoa touch of a darker caramelized malt note.

Taste brings biscuit right off, toasty malts, grainy and husky again, lots more wheat, toasted straw, wet hay, farmhouse wheat and hay flavors. Then into cereal grains, liquid juicy cereal with more biscuit and a little caramelized malt flavor, lots of toasted grainy flavors all around. A fair creamy flavor too, mild dark toast with creaminess. It's very dry, like sucking the water out of my tongue dry, and brings a nice caramel finish, crisp finish as well, little lager softness and touch of minerality, finally a touch of grassy hop bitterness, and little lager mineral note.

Mouth is med to a bit lighter bod, but nice softness and smooth, little creamy feel, decent carb.

Overall not bad but not what I expected, not very good either for a German beer... plenty of nice toasty malts, but lots of grainy husky wheat and hay like flavors, not what I expected for a schwarzbier, also no real dark malt notes other than some caramel, and lager notes aren't the best even. The nice smooth soft feel was quite nice, and what I expect from a beer like this, but the rest was meh.

3.5/5  rDev -6.4%

A- Dark as night. Lots of bubbles at first. One finger foam.
Leaving 1mm. head with no lacing.
S- Decent aroma. Mostly chocolate and plums !
T/M- Bitter aftertaste. Dark chocolate and roasted barley in the mouth.
Good balanced dark beer. Drinkable, medium carbonation.
Creamy.

O- Really good, well done.

3.25/5  rDev -13.1%