Das Naturtrübe - Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG

Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG visit their website
Germany

German Pilsener |  5.00% ABV

http://www.schwabenbraeu.de/buegel ... truebe.php

(Beer added by: TheSarge on 09-03-2007)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »

Trashcat, Nov 21, 2014
3.96/5  rDev +14.1%

Mike-Harms, Nov 15, 2014

Hellpop65, Nov 08, 2014

atkplt, Oct 29, 2014
3.34/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

I picked up a bottle of Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG's Das Naturtrube last week for $3.99 at The Lager Mill. I like German Pilsener's, but I've never had this one before and I'm interested to see how it turns out, so lets see how it goes. No visible bottling date. Poured from a brown 16.9oz flip top bottle into a Pilsener glass.

A- The label looks nice, it's got a nice design to it and I think it's just slightly eye catching. It poured a hazy slightly pale yellow color that took on more of a golden color when held to the light with two fingers worth of creamy white head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left spotty lacing behind. This was a nice looking beer, but I thought it was a little hazy for the style.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness with the malts being the first to show up and they impart some grainy, cracker malt, sweet malt and doughy aromas with some clean lager yeast showing up in the background. Up next comes a light hop aroma with some earthy, grassy and herbal hop aromas coming through. This beer had a nice aroma that seemed to be true to style.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's lighter and it starts off with a lower amount of medium sweetness with the malts still being the first to show up and they impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with the grainy and cracker malts sticking out the most. Up next comes the hops which are lighter and impart the same aspects that they did in the aroma with no single hoppy aspect sticking out the most. On the finish there's a lighter amount of bitterness with a slight sweet malt, cracker malt and light herbal hop aftertaste. This was a decent tasting beer, it was a little lighter than I wanted it to be, but the flavors were true to style.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a lighter amount of medium carbonation. The mouthfeel was nice and it worked well with this beer.

Overall I thought this was a decent beer and it was pretty close to being an average example of the style, it had most of the aspects that I look for in the style, but in the end the taste was just a little bland and lighter than I would want it. This beer had ok drinkability, it was smooth, a little crisp, a little creamy, not filling, but the taste didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I know would start to get bored with it so I think one is enough for me, I don't have any urge to drink another. What I like the most about this beer was the nothing, there wasn't a single aspect that I thought was better than the rest. What I liked the least about this beer was the taste, it just didn't do a good job at holding my attention and I quickly got bored with it. I don't think I would buy this beer again, but i wouldn't turn down a glass and I don't think I would recommend it as a good example a German Pilsener. All in all I wasn't too impressed with this beer, it wasn't bad, but nothing stuck out about and it the end it just seemed to be a little bland for the style. So far this is my favorite beer from this brewery, but it's pretty average as far as the style goes. I could either way with this beer and I think it could use a little work, better luck next time guys.

StoutHunter, Oct 29, 2014

3.75/5  rDev +8.1%

Smileitsfreetobehappy, Jul 20, 2014

GreenMountainBoy, Jun 27, 2014
3.69/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

I do love the swing top bottles. Just came in from a hot day mowing the lawn, this should hit home nicely.

Pours a huge fluffy fizzy 2+ finger head that fades at a med pace, decent soapy lacing, super hazy murky golden wheat colored. If this was a hefe great, but pilsner?

Nose is like pure wheat, grainy wet wheat, and wet hay, toasty cracked wheat, like whole grain raw wheat bread, a bit of a creamy wheat, and some toasted malt, a soft chewy porridge like wheat stew like aroma, and hints of grassy hops somewhere in the background. Would be great if not supposedly a pilsner.

Taste is more of the same, just loaded with wheat, like raw unmalted wheat and hay just picked from the field, got a little wet and slightly sticky fermented, maybe a bit malted and germinated barley, toasted grainy husky, super doughy almost like a sour dough. It even seems to have a bit of a starchy taste, but soft creamy wheat at the same time, a bit of a layered soft malt effect, and very light grassy hop. Super drinkable with nice flavor and light all around. Finish is dry, the hops kick in a bit more, grassy noble hops with a decent but lighter bitterness, more lingering wheat, grassy hay and raw barley.

Mouth is lighter bod, nice carb.

Overall exactly what I'd expect from a real German beer that I almost wouldn't even expect to come to U.S., like I'd expect getting in some middle of nowhere brewery/bar in Bavaria... if it was a wheat beer. Lots of unmalted fresh raw barley and wheat, hay, wet hay, grassy, etc, with a nice mild noble hop kick that really comes through on the finish nicely. Nice layered malt decoction like character. But, it's not a pilsner at all, it's a wheat beer, or grisette or something... not a pilsner at all. however, still pretty tasty and so drinkable, enjoyable, I could put back 20 of these in a row easily.

jlindros, Jun 16, 2014

2.75/5  rDev -20.7%

Schlafly33, Apr 11, 2014

Matchews, Feb 19, 2014
3.31/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.25

LOOK: 16.9 oz swingtop bottle opens with a small pop. Pours a hazy straw color with a white foam. Unfiltered pilsner beer.

SMELL: The aroma is malty, with the doughy-ness of German style maltings. Just a hint of floral hops.

TASTE: In the taste, fairly bitter with a lemony hop character and German two row barley. The tea-like hops also have a slight tartness to them, and the malt is sweeter and bready. There is a fair amount of bitterness and the beer is fairly balanced, if not leaning towards bitter. Buttery diacetyl is present in a minor fashion.

FEEL: Light bodied feel, loosely crisp with adequate carbonation.

OVERALL: An easy drinking beer that went down with little effort. It's nice to see some of these German imports in local grocery stores. I'm always interested in investigating.

Stinkypuss, Jan 05, 2014

brotherliam, Nov 01, 2013
4.25/5  rDev +22.5%

brandonld23, Nov 01, 2013

largadeer, Sep 08, 2013

geuze_gone_wild, Sep 08, 2013

slbrown, Aug 27, 2013
3.28/5  rDev -5.5%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.25

500 ml flip-top bottle poured into pilsener glass.

A - Pours a light amber color, pretty dark for a pilsener. A bit of cloud present. 2" head after a somewhat aggressive pour.

S - Malt, yeast, perhaps a touch of dandelion. Smelled kind of cheap, to be honest.

T - Tasted like a so-so lager. Malt and yeast up front, just a touch of hops in the aftertaste. Was better cold, had a cheap, slightly sweet aftertaste once warm. It didn't taste bad cold.

F - Was pretty refreshing, and was the beer's best quality. A fiar amount of carbonation, a good clean, crisp feel.

O - Cool to see a random German lager I pick up be so rare. At least I assume it's rare, with so few reviews. It's not a bad beer. The taste isn't terrible, just a little weak, and unfortunately the quality goes down when it warms. I would try this beer on tap if I were to happen upon it, but I doubt I'll ever buy a bottle again.

stella77artois, Aug 26, 2013