Das Echte Maerzen - Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG

good

Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: schrist275 on 01-01-2003)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
3.52/5  rDev -3.3%

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%

4.35/5  rDev +19.5%

Had this beer at a local Oktoberfest celebration in my area.

Poured a beautiful golden copper color. Looked amazing and a perfect white head that stook around for a good time.

Smelt malty and I really got a good smell of honey.

Very good taste. Malts balanced nicely and there was slight bitterness with a hint of honey that was very pleasant.

I haven't had too many oktoberfest style beers but I can say this one was perfect for my taste. A real treat to have this on tap and complimented the german food at the festival extremely well. If I could find this again I would not hesitate to drink more.

3.25/5  rDev -10.7%

Appearance: Orangish-Amber; slightly cloudy; big head

Aroma: Malty; biscuity; slight citrus; hint of honey

Taste: Juicy, sweetish start; slightly bitter mid; slightly bitter, nutty finish; very refreshing and pretty well balanced.

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.03/5  rDev -16.8%

Enjoyed this flop top bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden copper hue with a white 2-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Malt caramel aroma with a fruity background.

T: There is a bready malt sweetness flavor followed a slight hoppy bitterness. All flavors here are pretty bland and mesh together.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Not the typical Marzen I am used to – but it was a decent beer.

3.4/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Half litre bottle, poured into pint glass. Golden copper colour, hints of orange. Clear with a one finger, poorly retained head. Initially not much of an aroma, but some vanila came through eventually. Tasted very sweet, not in an artificial way, but was hard to detect much else. Moderate carbonation, crisp texture, fairly smooth. Good beer for a hot day, could be too sweet for some palates though.

4.75/5  rDev +30.5%

I am living in Germany for a year and discovered this beer at the local REWE getrankemarkt.

I selected it because my ancestors were Schwabisch and I was curious about the beer.

It's full name is Das Achte Schwaben Brau Marzen.

Needless to say, it is now my favorite beer and I get a few each time I go to the grocery store that has the beverage market, despite being more of a wine drinker than a beer connoisseur.

To me, it has a somewhat sharp initial spark that fades into a complex tangy taste. I am not a beer expert, but I like the variety of sensations you get from it. I never get tired of its taste.

3.73/5  rDev +2.5%

Poured from a 500 ml Grolsch-type bottle into a goblet.

A - Beer is very light-colored for a Marzen. It is a medium golden color with some orange highlights. Beer is extremely clear. The head is white, wispy, and quickly fades to a ring.

S - The aroma is a classic Marzen. It has bready, toasty malt and noble hops mixed in perfect harmony. It smells very clean and crisp.

T - There is some hop bitterness and carbonation bite that initially obscures everything else. Once that clears, the tastes are a blend of Munich malt and noble hops, just like the aroma. Dry finish.

M - Light body, sharp carbonation bite. No alcohol burn.

o - A very enjoyable Marzen. I would prefer less bitterness and carbonation up front and more malt to balance, but that is splitting hairs on a very good beer.

3.45/5  rDev -5.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served in a glass mug

A: Beautiful rich golden amber - what little head accumulates is quick to fade. Totally transparent, lots of visible carbonation.

S: It doesn't have a particularly strong scent... slightly malty aroma, remiscient of fresh baked bread with a little brown sugar and spice.

T: Again, not very strong, but I like what's there. After a rather bland start, a slight wave of maltiness washes over the palate - flavor comparisons that come to mind are sweetened bread and marzipan. Very little bitterness from the hops.

M: Very thin, highly carbonated. Nice little kick at the end that gives the beer a refreshing bite.

O: I might sound a bit underwhelmed, but in reality I really like this - it's simple without being downright boring. I could kick back a lot of these in a single night without getting tired of it.

3.78/5  rDev +3.8%

Poured into my .5L mug. Bottle given to me by a friend who's sister lives in Germany. Knew I loved beer so I received this as a nice surprise.

A- Pours a very golden liquid that is just on the verge of light orange. It poured a massive giant head that was off white but very fluffly and sat atop the beer for quite some time but left absolutely no lacing. A bit light in color per style, but all else wasn't bad.

S- Very sweet aroma. A toasty/toffee smell with a potential light floral aroma to back up the malt forward nose just a tiny bit.

T/M- The hops are more prominent than the nose would tell. Starts with a soft bitterness (maybe 20IBU) that transitions to a great complex malt taste. Very bready and toasty. The bitterness remains present, but slowly takes a seat and lets the malt come forward. Very interesting evolution of flavors. The balance here is spot on. Medium body with medium/high carbonation. Well done.

O- I'm not incredibly familiar with this style, my experience runs maybe 5-7 deep; but from my recollection, this is around the top. The best part is the way the flavors blend and change to form a nice complex taste all around. Would I take this beer over a mediocre stout or porter- no way... Would I take this beer over any other marzen or amber lager- absolutely! I thought this to be very refreshing on a cold Spring day...

« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »