Das Echte Maerzen - Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG

to view more.
Ratings: 46 | Reviews: 29
Reviews by smanders:
3.33/5  rDev -7.8%

Appearance - crystal clear, gold and white head that dissipates quickly. Minimal lacing.

Smell - candied malt with a little yeast.

Taste - sweetness of honey with a butter note.

Mouthfeel - very smooth. No work needed to drink this beer.

Drinkability - you could drink a number of these beers in a session. You may not enjoy it a great deal, but you could do it. There are better Marzens available.

3.85/5  rDev +6.6%

Poured from a .5L swing top to a glass mug the brew is light caramel with good carbonation. The head is 2 fingers off white and leaves some lace.

The smell is sweet and caramely.

The taste is the same light sweet caramel and mild hops with a slight after bite.

The mouthfeel is good, better then medium body, with nice carbonation.

The drinkability it ok to good, it is worth a try.

Ein Prosit, MK

3.37/5  rDev -6.6%

Pours a pale amber color with a huge fluffy white head that sticks around a while.

Aroma is faint but hoppy with just a hint of lemon grass.

Taste is sweet almost honey like. A little more watered down than I expected.

This brew was a little weaker than I expected. Decent but not great.

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

This bottle was given to me by a friend who was ecstatic about the growler of Pliney the Elder that I gave him a month before, so he brought this back from Germany for me. Not having posted a review yet, this personally imported bottle was as good as an excuse as any!

Poured into a tall Pilzner glass. It created a nice white head that dissipated in 2-3 minutes. Efforvescent, clear golden color.

The nose was very subtle with perhaps a hint of vanilla and yeast -- more aroma than expected.

The taste surprised me; the malt had a slight sweetness and carried some banana into the finish, with a slight hoppy bite to it. The medium body and moderate carbonation balanced the overall character.

Although Marzen is not my style -- I like much bigger beers -- this was a very drinkable beer. If I had another bottle, I would have popped it open.

3.45/5  rDev -4.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

Served in a glass mug

A: Beautiful rich golden amber - what little head accumulates is quick to fade. Totally transparent, lots of visible carbonation.

S: It doesn't have a particularly strong scent... slightly malty aroma, remiscient of fresh baked bread with a little brown sugar and spice.

T: Again, not very strong, but I like what's there. After a rather bland start, a slight wave of maltiness washes over the palate - flavor comparisons that come to mind are sweetened bread and marzipan. Very little bitterness from the hops.

M: Very thin, highly carbonated. Nice little kick at the end that gives the beer a refreshing bite.

O: I might sound a bit underwhelmed, but in reality I really like this - it's simple without being downright boring. I could kick back a lot of these in a single night without getting tired of it.

3.12/5  rDev -13.6%

thanks to fatty for this...
Appears a pale, clear gold with a mild head that quickly fades.
Smell is malty caramel with citrus, apples, orange rinde, and a touch of smoked peat.
Taste is of the same aromas. Nothing really wowing me.
Mouthfeel is medium bodied and mildly sweet.

3.1/5  rDev -14.1%

An orange golden, clear beer with a thin head.

Smell is malty with dextrinous and biscuit notes. Some German yeast notes, but overall very clean.

Taste is malty, a bit sweet and dextrinous and has a light hoppiness and a light bitterness. Yeast is clean. I never had a Marzen before, but to me this is just an average pilsener style beer.

4.33/5  rDev +19.9%

Had this beer at a local Oktoberfest celebration in my area.

Poured a beautiful golden copper color. Looked amazing and a perfect white head that stook around for a good time.

Smelt malty and I really got a good smell of honey.

Very good taste. Malts balanced nicely and there was slight bitterness with a hint of honey that was very pleasant.

I haven't had too many oktoberfest style beers but I can say this one was perfect for my taste. A real treat to have this on tap and complimented the german food at the festival extremely well. If I could find this again I would not hesitate to drink more.

3.18/5  rDev -11.9%

Das Echte: Schwaben Brau Marzen

Toasty sweet breads, also a slight copperish tone to it as well.

Produces massive amounts of head, just about four fingers thick and is a bit off white. This dissipates slowly into clumpy chunks. This is medium bodied and is of a darker ultra clear golden color.

There are hints of spiciness here. A slight sweetness, but has a strong pretzel taste to it as well.

This is very crisp but has a warming finish to it. Makes for a decent session brew.

3.95/5  rDev +9.4%

A good typical Marzen. Slightly sweet and very malty. Amber to dark color that has the slightest hints of caramel, cherry and hops that blend nicely. Not overpowered by the sweetness at all. This would go perfect with BBQ. Just enough hops to balance it out in the middle witha finish that tastes of honey on the tip of the tongue. If I lived in Stuggart, I would consider this a go to beer.

3.03/5  rDev -16.1%

Enjoyed this flop top bottle out of a pint glass.

A: Pours a light golden copper hue with a white 2-finger head that quickly dissipates and leaves a wispy lace.

S: Malt caramel aroma with a fruity background.

T: There is a bready malt sweetness flavor followed a slight hoppy bitterness. All flavors here are pretty bland and mesh together.

M: Medium body and medium carbonation.

O: Not the typical Marzen I am used to – but it was a decent beer.

3.31/5  rDev -8.3%

Copper in color with a puffy white head, and very little lacing. The aroma is of bitter hops, but fades away once the head is gone, leaving a maltier smell. This beer is actually quite tasty and full bodied for a beer this light in cooler. Malt balanced with hop characterizes the taste.

4.25/5  rDev +17.7%

Best before 22-07-05. What a beer from presantation; great and forever lasting foam and a beautifull and bright golden beercolor. Nose is malt to the max and with that a good hopnose( mittelfrueh or quiet similar). Taste is rich and full as a Maerzen should be. Lots of maltaste and that in combination with a good hopbitterness make it an enjoyable beer. Not to much yeastinfluences except from the alcohol but who wants that in a beer like this. Wish I had more of these!

Appearance: Orangish-Amber; slightly cloudy; big head

Aroma: Malty; biscuity; slight citrus; hint of honey

Taste: Juicy, sweetish start; slightly bitter mid; slightly bitter, nutty finish; very refreshing and pretty well balanced.

Remarks: Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

3.38/5  rDev -6.4%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Half litre bottle, poured into pint glass. Golden copper colour, hints of orange. Clear with a one finger, poorly retained head. Initially not much of an aroma, but some vanila came through eventually. Tasted very sweet, not in an artificial way, but was hard to detect much else. Moderate carbonation, crisp texture, fairly smooth. Good beer for a hot day, could be too sweet for some palates though.

4.35/5  rDev +20.5%

This is one great Marzen. Love the nose, and great lasting head and lace. Malty but not sweet with just the right hop balance. Malt lasts all the way through with pleasant aftertaste. Sweet hay nose with fresh grain scents mixed in. Brownish-gold color and a leggy head. A full caramel malt taste that is a little toasty. Nutty, spicy too. Slight short bitterness. Good balance and smooth - I liked this quite a bit.

3.75/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 500 ml Grolsch-type bottle into a goblet.

A - Beer is very light-colored for a Marzen. It is a medium golden color with some orange highlights. Beer is extremely clear. The head is white, wispy, and quickly fades to a ring.

S - The aroma is a classic Marzen. It has bready, toasty malt and noble hops mixed in perfect harmony. It smells very clean and crisp.

T - There is some hop bitterness and carbonation bite that initially obscures everything else. Once that clears, the tastes are a blend of Munich malt and noble hops, just like the aroma. Dry finish.

M - Light body, sharp carbonation bite. No alcohol burn.

o - A very enjoyable Marzen. I would prefer less bitterness and carbonation up front and more malt to balance, but that is splitting hairs on a very good beer.

3.3/5  rDev -8.6%

I picked this beer up because I had never seen it before and the goofy assed label, which reminded me of a spasmotic, German version of a Norman Rockwell scene. Hey: all I wanna do is have some fun.

The appearance is quite Pilsish: pale yellow with a weak head. The smell had hints of hoppy sweetness, maybe honey and faint nuttiness. The taste was tart, hoppy and sweet, with maybe a revenant of buttery caramel. The mouthfeel was both tangy and smooth.

Overall, this is a decent beer, but nothing to write home about. It seems a bit watery, despite the character of the cheesy label.

3.36/5  rDev -6.9%

Another light lacy head…..this one sticking to the sides of the glass all the way up to the top. Body has a nice amber color, very appealing look. Has more of a toffee smell than anything else, nice. A very smooth flowing and tasting brew. Works its way into the aftertaste without making it really after, very nice flavor flow. Geez, hate it when the beer is done before the review is. Pleasant bier, light and fluffy.

3.6/5  rDev -0.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Ordered at the military club on Kelley Barracks in Stuttgart. Served in a .5 liter glass stein out of a flip top bottle. Label shows a typical Swabian couple, with the guy enjoying his beer. Loosely translated "Das Echte" means "the real thing".

A: Pours perhaps a 1/4 inch head that quickly dissapated. A nice amber/orange color. I was expecting a bit darker copper to it, but still a nice looking beer.

S: Has the classic toffee/caramel candy smell. Very appealing to a malt head like me.

T: A nice malty flavor profile. There is a slight hoppy bite at the end, but this is not a super hoppy beer by any stretch. It is nice, but not so strong as to be overpowering.

M: Not super carbonated, very crisp bitter/ale character with a clean finish.

D: Very drinkable. A great beer with food. If I were to try and introduce a miller/bud fan to Marzen, this would be the one I'd give them.

3.76/5  rDev +4.2%

Got this bottle from friends in Germany. I don't think it is available in the States. I like the flip top bottle. This is a very drinkable brew in a very drinkable style. I like the Maerzen style. Out of the bottle the beer is a light amber with a one finger head. The is almost no aroma to speak of. The taste is very smooth a small hoppy flavor that soon disappears after swallowing. Love German Beer!

3.42/5  rDev -5.3%

a bit strange to read "Das Echte Märzen" (translated the genuine Maerzen) for a brew coming from Schwaben (as opposed to Bavaria) ...
light copper color, strong nose ...
the taste is a bit ale-like, but less full ... remarkably bitter
...
a rather passé label

3.9/5  rDev +8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

500ml bottle with one of those old style swing tops that the latch was covered with a small piece of paper with the name of the beer, Schwaben Brau, and a brewery crest shield. The main label has this ugly color to it that I can best describe as this tannish puke yellow color with a white trim. The label however is in the shape of a shield. On this shield label is a small circle with this married couple (they could also be brother and sister) coming out of it. The man is wearing a German style gray suit with a black pimp hat and has mug of beer in one hand and in the other hand he has a smoking pipe. They only show the head of the woman and one of her hands, but she is wearing a bright green hat. The look of their faces kind of freaks me out. The man is giving a drunk smile that says "drink with me OR else" and the woman smile says "I'm just happy to be here, I have no idea what's going on." Below the picture is some German, but my free translation on the saying didn't make sense, so I'm not going to write it down here. The back label was the same color, but a little darker with green on the top and black on the side. This beer is worth 1 Gold Krug and below that they tell you (in German) what you can do with it. Below that is what I guess is information about the beer and an at least durable until date of 05.02.07, which means I got till February 2, 2007, to drink the other one. After the date there were 2 more numbers, that I didn't know what they meant. #2 beer that I got from a friend who went to Germany. My translation said that "Das Echte" meant "The Real" in English. Now onto the beer itself!

Appearance: When poured into a non-authentic German Pilsener glass, the beer was a nice clear bright gold color with a 1 finger head of white foam. It had OK retention and left behind very little white rings and barely any white sticky lace around the glass. After just a couple of minutes there is nothing left except for some carbonation bubbles. I'm just glad that beer didn't come out the same color as the label.

Smell: It had a nice soft aroma of toasted malts, bitter floral hops, and just the slightest hint of juicy fruits in the background. I thought it a had a perfume aroma, but that could have been the person that walked past me while I was drinking this beer.

Taste: I actually quite enjoyed the taste of this beer. There wasn't many flavors there that could knock you off your feet, but what was there was very enjoyable. I really thought that the balance between the smooth toasted malts, bitter citrus hops, and the varieties of juicy fruits was just really good. They balanced all of those flavors really good.

Mouthfeel: The mouthfeel was not watery at all, but instead was really smooth and light with the slightest aftertaste of toasted malt and just the regular kind of bitter hops at the end.

Drinkability: For me this was another one of those beers that as soon as you know it, it's almost all gone. I could enjoy this on a hot summers day, but I just missed those days. I wouldn't mind drinking a couple of these with the guy and his wife (or sister) on the label at a German bier garden. That means we wouldn't get to the "or else" part of the conversation. :-) It's a good thing I got another one of these to enjoy!

4.7/5  rDev +30.2%

I am living in Germany for a year and discovered this beer at the local REWE getrankemarkt.

I selected it because my ancestors were Schwabisch and I was curious about the beer.

It's full name is Das Achte Schwaben Brau Marzen.

Needless to say, it is now my favorite beer and I get a few each time I go to the grocery store that has the beverage market, despite being more of a wine drinker than a beer connoisseur.

To me, it has a somewhat sharp initial spark that fades into a complex tangy taste. I am not a beer expert, but I like the variety of sensations you get from it. I never get tired of its taste.

2.67/5  rDev -26%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 2.25 | feel: 2 | overall: 2.5

meh. Nothing to write home about.

to view more.