Dinkelacker Märzen - Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG

good

Dinkelacker-Schwabenbraeu AG visit their website
Germany

Märzen / Oktoberfest |  5.60% ABV

(Beer added by: IchLiebeBier on 06-16-2013)
« first ‹ prev | 1-25 | 26-50  | next › last »
Reviews by IchLiebeBier:

Appearance: Amber; medium head

Aroma: Malty; honey; slightly honey-like

Taste: Juicy start with hoppy bitterness notes; dry, hoppy finish; hoppy, but not overpowering; not bad overall

Remarks: Pretty enjoyable for a Märzen; good session beer

Did not score A, T, S, M at that time; disregard those scores

4.05/5  rDev +17.1%

Poured from a 16 oz. can into a stein glass.

Appearance: Pours a deep brownish amber with a lot of rising bubbles. Big three finger off white head with decent retention.

Smell: A bready, toasty, and sweet malt forward aroma with hints of caramel and fruit. Toasted malts with good hints of caramel, toffee, biscuit, grains, and lager yeast. Fruit hints of apple and slight lemon. Sweet honey like scent as well. Hops are light. A solid malty aroma.

Taste: Like the smell indicates, a nicely sweet, toasty, and bready malt driven taste with notes of sweet caramel and fruit. Bready toasted malt with notes of biscuit, grains, caramel, toffee, cracker, and lager yeast. Fruit undertones of apple and lemon along with some honey sweetness. Subtle earthy hops in the background. A pretty nice lager taste.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a moderate amount of carbonation. Creamy, crisp, and very smooth.

Overall: A very solid take on the German Marzen style. Good bready malt and fruit notes.

3.53/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.5

3.61/5  rDev +4.3%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3.75

Poured from a brown 11.2 oz. bottle. Has a bronze color with a 1 inch head. Smell is mild, a bit of malts. Taste is bready, malty, drinks almost more like a bock than a marzen. Feels medium bodied in the mouth and overall is a smooth and sessionable beer.

3.88/5  rDev +12.1%

3.23/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 3

I picked up a bottle of Dinkelacker's Märzen a few days ago for $2.09 at The Lager Mill. I've never had this beer and I've haven't heard of this brewery before and I thought I would give their Marzen a chance, so lets see how it goes. There were some numbers on the back, but I couldn't decode them. Poured from a brown 11.2oz bottle into my Oktoberfest stein.

A- The label looks good, it goes nicely with the Oktoberfest season and I think it's a little eye catching. It poured a real nice clear amber color that took one more of a brighter amber color when held to the light with almost three fingers worth of fluffy light tan head that died down to a thin ring that stayed till the end and it left some a little bit of spotty lacing behind. This was a pretty nice looking beer, I really liked the color and head, but the lacing was lacking a little.

S- The aroma starts off with a medium amount of sweetness followed by a fruity aroma being the first to show up and it imparts a apple juice and slight pear like aroma with a slight soapy aroma also coming through. Up next comes the malts which impart some sweet malt, bread crust, light caramel, light toasted and light grainy like aromas with just a little bit of clean lager yeast coming through. This beer had a decent aroma, but I thought it was a little unbalanced with too much fruity aromas.

T- The taste seems to be similar to the aroma, but it's just a little lighter and it starts off with a higher amount of low sweetness with the fruits still being the first to show up and it's the apple juice that sticks out the most and it seems to be the flavor that sticks out the most. Up next comes the malts which are just a little lighter than they were in the aroma and they impart the same malty aspects with no single aspect seeming to sticking out the most. On the finish there was no bitterness with a apple juice and watery malt aftertaste. This was decent tasting Marzen, but it wasn't as balanced as I would like.

M- Smooth, a little crisp, fairly clean, pretty dry on the finish, a little watery, on the thicker side of being light bodied with a lower amount of carbonation. The mouthfeel was decent, but I wish it wasn't a little watery and I think it needs more carbonation.

Overall I thought this was just ok and I thought it was a decent example of the style, it had most of the flavors and aromas that I look for in the style, but that good balance just didn't show up and that's what holds this beer back from being a good example of the style. This beer had ok drinkability, it was a little crisp, fairly clean, pretty dry on the finish, a little watery, not filling at all and the taste didn't do the best job at holding my attention, I think one would be enough for me, the taste doesn't really make me want to come back for more. What I liked the most about this beer was the appearance, the color and head were really nice. What I liked the least about this beer was the balance, it was off and it lacked the balance that all the good examples of the style have. I wouldn't buy this beer again, it's very easy for me to find a better example of the style and I can't say I would recommend it either. This didn't make for the best first impression for this brewery, but I would be interested in trying some more of their beers and I would say this one falls right in the middle as far as the style goes. I wasn't impressed with this one, I thought it was rough around the edges, better luck next time guys.

2.5/5  rDev -27.7%