Lakefire Rye Pale Ale - Grapevine Craft Brewery

Grapevine Craft Brewery visit their website
Texas, United States

Rye Beer |  5.20% ABV

Beer added by: garyhumble on 11-28-2013

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Lakefire Rye Pale Ale Alström Bros
4.12/5  rDev +32.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I tried this along with Stone IPA and Widmer Upheaval IPA, and it had a better body and hop character than the Stone surprisingly. More floral than citrusy, and a nice smooth finish.

4.01/5  rDev +28.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4

A longtime CANQuest (tm) Want, courtesy of The Mighty JenRay, who knows where and how to shop for beer!

From the CAN: "Serve Cold with Good Friends!"; "Go Texan."; "Made in Texas".

The Crack! was nice and loud and I celebrated with an inverted Glug. This produced a finger of foamy, tawny head with limited retention. Color was a slightly hazy Amber to Deep Amber/Light Copper (SRM = > 9, < 13) with some floaties in evidence. Nose was redolent with a black pepper scent, courtesy of the rye! My mouth began to water as a result. Mouthfeel was medium and the black pepper of the rye worked nicely with the honey flavor from the base malt. The (relatively) low ABV rendered it easy-drinking and I ran through half of it without even thinking. The finish was semi-dry, but the black pepper flavor lingered well after the swallow. I wonder what percentage of this was rye malt. I just had a discussion with Tim Stumpf at Iron Hill (PHXville) about this very thing.

3.78/5  rDev +21.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

I had this one on tap during my last trip to Ft. Worth. I always like to give the locals a spin.

Served in a shaker, the beer is a chill hazed dark copper with a sticky off-white head.

Aroma of pine, a bit of grains and some rye.

I liked the interplay between the hops, the rye and the caramel malts. The rye adds a nice bit of spice to the pine and slightly sweet malts.

The mouth is decent and a bit coating.

I had a couple and would definitely have more again.

3.39/5  rDev +8.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.25

A: pours with an amber color and really transparent. Some lacing and no carbonation to the eye.
S: definitive rye smell with minimal floral on back. Not that hoppy and more of a tame pale ale.
T: rye yeast and slight sweetness. Looking for more freshness and brightness but lacking.
M: medium heavy with no carbonation
O: not my favorite PA but as at as flagship beers go this wasn't too bad. Worth a beer or raster but personally wouldn't have 6

3.32/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4 | smell: 3.25 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.25

Pours a light Amber color. Has a rye malty aroma. Flavor follows the aroma. Rye, biscuit like malts and a smooth mouthfeel. Glover tails off pretty quick. Overall not bad.

3.25/5  rDev +4.2%

A-amber color with a decent white head and some lacing

S-rye, pine, grains

T-rye, grainy malt, light pine, light caramel

F-medium body with moderate carbonation, crisp

O-easy drinking, but flavor is lacking

3.21/5  rDev +2.9%

I guess I liked this a bit better than most here. Nice color color, thin heady that quickly disappears. I can only faintly catch the rye, but the overall taste is nice, if not memorable. Like a lightly hopped iOS with concurrently light citrus. Mouthfeel definitely a bit thin. Refreshing, though. I've had worse.

3.11/5  rDev -0.3%

Bready, Vegetal, Grainy, Dull

From the can: Light, bright, copper. Creamy head with legs. Light rye, bready, and floral in the nose with a strong vegetal note. Smooth, firm, and slick with a prickly carbonation. Mildly sweet upfront. Grainy with a soft, bready, rye edge. Dry, chalky finish. A bit dull overall. Expected more rye and hop presence.

ABV: 5.2% | AVAILABILITY: Year-round

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine issue #97 (FEB 2015)

2.91/5  rDev -6.7%

Appearance: Light copper color, off white head.

Aroma: Light hop aromas, slight spice from rye, slight notes of vomit/bread.

Taste: Stong rye, mild pine from hops.

Mouthfeel: Good carbonation, medium body.

Overall: Drinkable, Would drink on a special, probably wouldn't buy again. Much better this time then when it first came out.

Side info: Poured from can, bought in Irving, Tx, Served around 45°f.

2.46/5  rDev -21.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 2.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 2.5 | overall: 2

The look and smell were ok, but where this beers gets you is the taste. Its pretty poor. Sure, it feels like you're drinking beer, but its not worth the effort.

I hear its better at the brewery, straight from the keg, but I will likely never disprove that theory.

Grapevine CB makes some really good beers, but the Lakefire Rye is mainly all I see at the stores in North Texas.

2.03/5  rDev -34.9%

I'd planned on reviewing this one, but it's not worth it.

Looks, smells, and tastes like a muddier version of Shiner Ryes and Shine. Some sort of light rye amber, perhaps. Nothing too offensive stands out, but it's the worst microbrew rye beer I think I've ever had. At ~$9/six pack, this is defintely one to avoid. Now I just need to figure out how to get rid of the other 5.

1.45/5  rDev -53.5%

Bought this hoping for something similar to the Summit rye. The majority of the six pack I purchased has been sitting in my fridge taking up space since I bought it. I will never buy it again, even if it's the only "craft" on tap at a hole-in-the-wall. I can honestly say that I find run-of-the-mill Bud light or Coors more drinkable, and that's saying something.

Lakefire Rye Pale Ale from Grapevine Craft Brewery